• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
ME1 is still probably my favorite due to the insane world building, but ME2 is on par with it for sure. Probably the best ensemble cast in a game ever.

ME2 came out just at the right time for me as well. It came out literally days after I had gotten laid off and I really needed the escape at the time. Like ME1, I remember starting my next playthrough as soon as the credits finished rolling.

Post ME3 I had typically been replaying the trilogy every couple years, but I have put my latest one on hold for the legendary edition. Really looking forward to this.

SchrodingerC

Oct 25, 2017
I'll always prefer Mass Effect 1 over the sequels, but I cannot deny the amazing experience while playing ME2.

Although the sexualization of several female characters was tacky in 2010 and only has become worse over the years. The dev team got way too horny and it clearly shows with the outfits/camera angles.

Barnak

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Part of me wish that they could update ME1 & ME2 in the Legendary Edition so you're not forced to be either full paragon or full renegade in your playthroughs. I know it's not gonna happen, but I can dream. Let me choose the reply I want without risking to lose rewards or teammates in the end because I decided to be an asshole half the time.

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
One of the best games ever made, and I only played the trilogy for the first time in 2015, I can't wait for the Legendary Edition .

The_Strokes

Oct 25, 2017
México
A one of a kind experience i wish i could relive again, not only did it remove all the clunkiness from the previous game, the suicide mission is one of the greatest climaxes in gaming ever.

Beatiful, long due for a replay, but I'll hold for the Legendary edition.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Part of me wish that they could update ME1 & ME2 in the Legendary Edition so you're not forced to be either full paragon or full renegade in your playthroughs. I know it's not gonna happen, but I can dream. Let me choose the reply I want without risking to lose rewards or teammates in the end because I decided to be an asshole half the time.

You are not forced to be stricly Paragon or Renegade. In ME2 for example I often play as most Paragon but with a fair share of Renegade and there is maybe one or two decisions that I can't make, and they certainly don't compromize the end.

Beyond that, I think "punishing" the players for wanting to pick any decisions is quite correct. The idea between Paragon and Renegade is about what type of character your Shepard is, and it's only natural a person can't be everything. You can't sweet talk your way with politicians in the Citadel and also expect to be able threaten the most terrifying merc in the Terminus System. At least not without trying to balance your character in a way to achieve both.

I'm playing Wasteland 3 right now, and you have several skills that work in dialogues, two of them involve persuading people, one with compliments and the other with threats. If you don't put skill points in those, you won't be able to pick those options. Paragon/Renegade is similar to that. And I think ME3 handled it very well, even though I liked it in previous games as well.

Barnak

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
You can survive one more weekend 🙃

TzJrb5p.gif

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
Beyond that, I think "punishing" the players for wanting to pick any decisions is quite correct. The idea between Paragon and Renegade is about what type of character your Shepard is, and it's only natural a person can't be everything. You can't sweet talk your way with politicians in the Citadel and also expect to be able threaten the most terrifying merc in the Terminus System. At least not without trying to balance your character in a way to achieve both.

There's not really much rhyme or reason to what dialogue options having subpar P/R points locks you out of. There's no reason being 90% Paragon as opposed to 85 improves your ability to resolve a loyalty conflict without losing loyalty. It's far different than, say, getting Wrex his family armor leading to his trusting you.

The Reputation system is far superior to how ME1 and 2 handled P/R dialogue options.

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
That launch trailer had me on a 3 year listening hype for Two Steps From Hell lol
Still waiting for a proper legendary edition reveal so that I can know if I should bother waiting for it or just play through the whole series on PC again.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I never play full paragon and renegade any time I play. You don't need loyalty to keep party members alive. And the only rewards you might actually lose out on are the bonus powers, and that's only if you don't do the loyalty missions in the first place.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Ugh, I want to replay this series so bad, but we're probably not far off from the Remaster release so I'm just waiting on that. (Assuming it's decent).

Honestly, I don't need much. Just polish up the graphics a bit with some updated textures and maybe models, native controller support for the PC version, and maybe some lighting updates (like the Saints Row Remaster).

I don't even need ME1 to play any different, it's not the best, but once you level up a bit and get good guns I think the shooting is totally fine.

Maybe I'll replay DA:I, that game gets close to scratching my Mass Effect itch (better than ME:A, that's for sure).

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I remember back then I had my issues with how it was "actionised" compared to ME1 but overall it handled the split pretty well and managed to have a lot of interesting quests and locations

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
There's not really much rhyme or reason to what dialogue options having subpar P/R points locks you out of. There's no reason being 90% Paragon as opposed to 85 improves your ability to resolve a loyalty conflict without losing loyalty. It's far different than, say, getting Wrex his family armor leading to his trusting you.

The Reputation system is far superior to how ME1 and 2 handled P/R dialogue options.

What I tried to say is that it's possible to see that system in the same way a skill based system work in other RPGs. So a character with 90% paragon could persuade someone for the same reason a character with 9 charisma can, and one with only 8 points in charisma can't.

A high Paragons means that Shepard is highly persuasive when taking with people in a modern moderate, reasonable way. It's not about being 90% light side.

painey

Oct 27, 2017
My internet was down when I played this, so I didn't even get that extra character - who, by all means, seems to have been completely shite anyway.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mass Effect 2 is a giant pile of contradictions. It is Bioware in its ideal state, of intimate character writing and small scale conflict, but in a setting already crafted for a completely different tone and style.

I get why people love it but to me it is a massive betrayal of what Mass Effect 1 was going for, and at least half of why Mass Effect 3 was such a mess was due to trying to follow up on a game where nothing important happened.

Bubukill

Oct 25, 2017
Panama
Within my top 3 favorite games of all time.

My favorite game of the PS3-360 generation.

It was actually my first Mass Effect game though. I remember buying the PS3 version out of curiosity when it released on that platform. It was the complete edition version with all the DLCs, including "Lair of the Shadow Broker"; which to this today I still consider it as one of the best DLCs of all time.

Before buying it. I remember playing the demo of Mass Effect 2 available on PS3 because my brain was so hungry of some Sci-Fi Opera game style, and I was curious about what was so especial about this franchise, especially due immense hype sorrounding this game around the gaming community. So I loved playing that demo all the way through, it finally made me pull the trigger.

Having no way to play the first Mass Effect to begin with, I went to check out some Lore & Timeline wiki on the web. Then the next day I was buying the physical version at some local videogame store near my home.

In the end, I got zero problem understanding what was going on. Got immediately sucked into this universe, playing non-stop for over 100 hours in my first playthrough and doing every mission available. This really might be the first game I got fully invested into videogame characters. Caring for them. Fearing for some of my favorites characters, that may die due to the nature and danger of what was the plot. I always thought I might lose some of my beloved companions at any given moment. Garrus, Tali, Miranda, the Krogan, etc; so my ass was always under pressure and glue to the seat. Thankfully I ended up getting a very decent and satisfying ending after all the stress out of the Suicide Mission. I was quite happy with results, especially by being my first playthrough.

The last time I replayed Mass Effect 2 was about 7 years ago after finally playing Mass Effect 1. I'd like to replay it again, especially now that I have a bit of free time; sadly my PS3 got broken recently. I may need a bit patience and wait for the Legendary Edition to come out.

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
I remember when I finished Mass effect 2 and credits started rolling I put down the controller and said "holy crap, what a masterpiece"

Trigger

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
I honestly think it's one of the best games ever made. Just a great sci fi space romp. I've been hoping Bioware could recreate the experience. I know the Collector's storyline is the main plot, but recruiting folks and doing tightly designed missions was the real hook for me.

Grimmjow

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One of my favorite games ever. To me it feels like a well paced action movie that you can come back to time and time again, and never get tired of it.

topchill

Oct 28, 2017
Looking back, I can say I at least enjoyed ME2 as a standalone game. I can't help but feel some resentment towards it for steering the series away from the first game though. Mass Effect hit all the right notes when it came to that space opera feel, character development, politics, discovery, etc. Drew Karpyshyn's novels led perfectly into the game's release, so those that cared already had a lot to go on in preparation. Mass Effect brought a much needed epic sci-fi feel to gaming at the time.

ME2, as solid a game as it was, just didn't have as much impact on me. Mac Walters' comics, with the whole space western angle, were the first indication I'd hate it. I remember being disappointed throughout the game at the lost sense of discovery and how much more action-focused it was. After
human reaper
, I knew I'd never see ME the same way. It's been downhill ever since.

I'm looking forward to Legendary Edition, but I'm really hoping I can somehow avoid reliving the disappointment lol.

Asklepios

Oct 28, 2017
United Kingdom
It's probably just going to be a straight up high-res texture port anyway but if EA is indeed putting effort to "remaster" mass effect then they can spend all their time on 1. Mass effect 2 is a masterpiece as it is.

Omanisat

Sep 25, 2018
North Bay, Canada
Sorry to say, but I've cooled on ME2 quite a bit over the years. Loved it at release, but now, with the fullness of time and the benefit of hindsight I can only see what a disappointing missed opportunity it is.

Acidote

Oct 26, 2017
Does EA expect me to play through all games and DLC several times again?

Well, yes. Yes I am.

sacrament

Banned
Dec 16, 2019
Probably one the all time greatest games - definitely my top 3. I am very much going back into it with Legendary... I am in a much different spot so delighted to see it again, better, in a modern revisit (and force the family to watch, cause damnit they will be better for it!)

Typographenia

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Wow, has it really been 11 years? Hard to believe it has been that long already!

Still recall one of the most magical things about Mass Effect 2 being the first game (I can recall playing) that actually carried meaningful data over from one game to the next. Ever since Banjo-Kazooie teased things like the ice key, that possibility of having progression carry between games seemed so impossible and exciting. Even though it's largely a bunch of spoken dialogue acknowledging choices, it still felt cool to see that the council I had prioritized was alive. Wrex was still around. The Rachni Queen hadn't forgotten my trust in her. Sure, there were problems like Conrad Werner suddenly claiming I had behaved opposite of reality, but the effect was still something to behold.

Not to mention the truly interesting band of characters that accompanied you throughout. I missed having Wrex in your party, but the newcomers like Thane, Mordin, and Grunt were great additions to the likes of Garrus and Tali. There's humans too, I guess, but whatever. Aliens!

It was not without its shortcomings (I really missed the Mako, and we all have varying levels of dislike for planet scanning), but the ride was such a fun adventure.
Still prefer ME1 to ME2, but it is easily one of my favorite game experiences, to this day.

Congrats to anyone and everyone that took part in Mass Effect 2 in some way. It's still fondly remembered by so many after this time, and that is certainly an accomplishment.

Colored in a sketch I made the other day of some of the crew. I'll just pretend it was intentional and share it here to commemorate the 11th anniversary.
Cheers, all

Hero_Select

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Don't expect a visual overhaul on the level of Halo 2 Anniversary or something, but there's definitely a good amount of work that's gone in, not just visually but systems wise too.
I am more excited about the latter than the former anyway. I appreciate your candor!

I check up every now and then on your twitter so I know how excited you are for the games as well but I don't think I'm aware of your opinion on the lack of Multiplayer. I really enjoyed it back then and am pretty bummed that it's been cut.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Don't expect a visual overhaul on the level of Halo 2 Anniversary or something, but there's definitely a good amount of work that's gone in, not just visually but systems wise too.
Exactly what I wanted to hear! Glad some system changes are being made.

With the 360 originals being easily available via BC, it's nice that these will be more than an up-res.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
I'm really curious to see what they will do with ME1. I remember Christina Noman talking about how the started experiment with ME1's combat during early ME2's evelopment, and one of the things they realized is that simple tweaks didn't have much benefits, they had to go deeper. They were developing an entire new game though, so that wasn't a problem, but for a remaster, workin in the constraints of ME1? It's a challenge.

Acidote

Oct 26, 2017
Please tell me they're respecting the distinct visual and sound design ME1 had. In that regard it was, for me, better than ME2 and 3.

theBmZ

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Damn. 11 years already. Mass Effect 2 is kind of a masterpiece in my eyes. I'd even defend the planet scanning. I found it a nice change of pace, and scratched a weird kind of itch I didn't know I had. There's something satisfying about that meter reaching high levels, and then clearing it all out.

But the true triumph of course is in the characters. What a stellar cast of unique, varied, and fleshed out characters. The loyalty missions were interesting, and the suicide mission one of those rare gaming moments that rewarded you for your time and investment. My first play through I made it out with no deaths. I felt proud of that. I knew my crew, their capabilities, and we executed the mission. Not many games have replicated that feeling.

Barnak

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Just fix the inventory menu in ME1 and we'll be golden. :)

Oh god, I can't imagine how transforming multiple items in Omnigel with a single button would make managing the inventory much less tedious.

Add that, the ability to sprint outside of combat(so that getting from point A to B doesn't take forever), a boost option on the Mako & better grip so you don't bounce all over the place and can climb steep hills more easily, and that would already make ME1 a much better game without altering it too much so that it would piss off the fans of the original.