• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Jun 17, 2018
I don't remember it in vivid detail but I do remember thinking it was one of the best games ever at the time. Definitely cannot wait to pick up the legendary edition.

OP
OP
Garlador

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Any, to share a memory:

I remember playing Lair of the Shadow Broker, getting in the ship, looking around and thinking: woah. I think that was the moment I realized games had atmospheres, and how much they could enhance the game. It still is one of my favorite setting in any game, just absolutely gorgerous and everything you want from a sci-fi:

shadow_broker_s_ship_by_michawha_d35flwi-fullview.jpg

The image doesn't do it just... you just have to play it.
This is yet another reason why I'm so excited for the Legendary Edition, because a lot of us who played it did so with DLC... but a lot of us DIDN'T buy the DLC. I sort of take it for granted that most people paid extra, and that wasn't actually the case for a giant subsection of players. And without a definitive "complete" version of the games, giant chunks of the experience simply weren't "experienced" by even fans of the base game. Blows my mind when I talk to people about the game - people who love it - and they mention things like "I never got around to Lair of the Shadow Broker" or "I never bought Kasumi's DLC" and thus they never had her in ME2 or ME3.

The majority of Mass Effect DLC is truly excellent, and it's a MAJOR shame it was at times difficult and/or expensive to get a complete experience.

Having it all in one package means even some veteran players will experience things like this for the first time, and I'm in full agreement that the assault on the Shadow Broker ship is an incredible example of story, atmosphere, and gameplay all coming together perfectly. It really did feel like fighting in the middle of a hurricane and that we were seconds from being torn apart by the storm beating down on the hull.
a0fc539af1b3ca995b728dedd85ca449cc156f6b.gif

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Agreed. The suicide mission is the stuff of legends. The perfect pace. The way they made every team member memorable. ME2 is the best in the series.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
This is yet another reason why I'm so excited for the Legendary Edition, because a lot of us who played it did so with DLC... but a lot of us DIDN'T buy the DLC. I sort of take it for granted that most people paid extra, and that wasn't actually the case for a giant subsection of players. And without a definitive "complete" version of the games, giant chunks of the experience simply weren't "experienced" by even fans of the base game. Blows my mind when I talk to people about the game - people who love it - and they mention things like "I never got around to Lair of the Shadow Broker" or "I never bought Kasumi's DLC" and thus they never had her in ME2 or ME3.

The majority of Mass Effect DLC is truly excellent, and it's a MAJOR shame it was at times difficult and/or expensive to get a complete experience.

Having it all in one package means even some veteran players will experience things like this for the first time, and I'm in full agreement that the assault on the Shadow Broker ship is an incredible example of story, atmosphere, and gameplay all coming together perfectly. It really did feel like fighting in the middle of a hurricane and that we were seconds from being torn apart by the storm beating down on the hull.
a0fc539af1b3ca995b728dedd85ca449cc156f6b.gif

I freaking loved that if you used biotics on enemies and they got far enough off the hull, they'd get ripped away by the wind or struck by lightning. Super satisfying every time.

Nov 8, 2017
Main story kinda sucks, the outfits on the women are embarrassing, but it's still the best Mass Effect game of the trilogy. So many good characters, some great sidequests, and best of all it got rid of most of the bad crap from the first game. Come at me haters.

I could complain about the game for hours, but only because I love it.

Niklel

Prophet of Regret
Aug 10, 2020
Love the game so much. It's nearly perfect.
I hope the trilogy remaster's release date isn't too close to the release of RE8.
Also hope they don't change the game's art style in the remaster. I liked those dark (black even) shadows everywhere.

Deleted member 59109

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 8, 2019
I think it's a really good game. Probably the best of the ME games overall. There wasn't as much "going on" in the main story but it still had really interesting squadmates, overall it might have the best characters in a video game for me. And the Collectors actually felt like a serious threat, I think my main issue storywise was that the Reapers were controlling them. They would have been more interesting as their own species, with their own motivations for helping the Reapers.

I'm not usually a fan of shooter gameplay but ME 2 feels more interesting and strategic than the average shooter. The world/atmosphere is pretty good too. So yeah, I think it's good, which is saying something since I usually don't like RPGs.

Last edited:

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
My favorite game of all time. I wish I could play it for the first time again. I hope the Legendary Edition will manage to pull off even a little bit of that feeling.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
SĂŁo Paulo - Brazil
I was thinking, one of my big hopes for the memaster (more down to earth hopes if you will) is a meaningful upgrade in terms of effects. Tech powers, Biotic powers, fire, ice, etc... combined with high res, I think this combo can really give a feel of going beyond "PC with mods". Also sounds!

pochi

Oct 25, 2017
Refining the class system was the best thing Bioware did.
Biotic charge and Biotic combos were so satisfying.

OP
OP
Garlador

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Here's hoping the finally fixed that annoying Conrad Verner bug.
But then they would have to remove the joke in ME3 where he makes fun of the bug!
Lol. This is a tough one. There's some good dialogue in ME2 that was missed because of the bug swapping in the wrong alignment, but ME3 having Conrad directly address the confusion is, well, typical Conrad and fits like a glove.

Now there are OTHER bugs and cut content I'd like to see them restore though, like recruiting Ken and Gabby in the bar in ME3.

Lucky Aces

Banned
Dec 7, 2020
An absolute gem of a game in both story and character narrative. To this day, I can still name pretty much all the party members, my first romance option (Yvonne Strahovski with dark hair? Come on that's way too easy), and how all your squad's side quests matter to the main plot, especially in the suicide mission.

Bioware in their prime was truly an incredible developer that I will always cherish forever as a gamer. It's why it is also painful to see the shell of themselves nowadays. I can only hope the remaster at least just gives up PS5/X graphics and leave it at that.

OP
OP
Garlador

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Bioware in their prime was truly an incredible developer that I will always cherish forever as a gamer. It's why it is also painful to see the shell of themselves nowadays. I can only hope the remaster at least just gives up PS5/X graphics and leave it at that.
One of the many reasons I advocated for a proper remaster is reading the lessons other companies learned by revisiting their original works.

I remember reading an interview with the Resident Evil developers talking about how they had lost their way and lost sight of the original strong focus and horror tone that made the series so iconic in the first place. While they had some success in taking games like Resident Evil 4, 5, and 6 in a more action-driven, blockbuster direction, it was growing clear that fans were growing displeased, the series was suffering from bloat and lack of focus, and that it wasn't sustainable. Many who had joined their team weren't even around when those original titles were made.

When they remastered Resident Evil 1 Remake, the modern team rediscovered just how tight those original games were. They kept their scale and scope reasonable, used the tools they had on hand, worked within limitations, and produced something unabashedly survival horror. With renewed lessons in horror-crafting, Capcom put them to work on RE7 and RE2 Remake, to great success.

It's easy to lose track of the things that once made you successful and beloved as the years tick by and big companies like EA make pushes for online services and lootboxes and focus-tested mass appeal, so going back to the beginning - seeing what elements made those original games great - is not only good for keeping those old games alive and popular, but also to restore those same design philosophies in the modern team that's moving forward on future Mass Effect titles.

If they can pull it off with a solid remaster, I'll be significantly more optimistic for any future Bioware titles.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
One of my favorite games of that generation. So great.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's in my top three games of all time. Just an experience I consumed. Best characters in a game ever, much improved gameplay and the music. Biowares true masterpiece.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
GOTG

As I had a PS3, it was my introduction to the series but BAH GAWD was it good. Really good. I freaking love it to death. Even ME3, though that original ending was bad, with the extended less bad but I digress. I treasure the Trilogy package, only way to have ME1 physical on PS3.

What about the Overlord DLC?

The moment I bought all the DLC on Origin last year I started a replay then we got the announcement a bit later. Stopped the playthrough of ME1 because I want that Legendary Edition.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
When the hell are they going to show the remasters? Aren't they coming out like soon?

Chea996

Nov 4, 2017
Milan - Italy
When the hell are they going to show the remasters? Aren't they coming out like soon?
I don't know. I hope it's very soon - like today - otherwise it's not soon enough.
I'm DYING to see how they've made this remastered and I'm really hoping it's not a lazy one.

I'll be playing it on PC and I'm looking forward to see some reasons to buy the legendary edition, instead of just playing the old versions. I really hope they nail it. The trilogy in its whole it's probably my favourite video game ever.

Barnak

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I used to replay the trilogy a lot a few years ago, before Andromeda came out, to the point where I almost knew everything every characters would say.

Hell, I bet that even when I'll play the Legendary edition, I'll still remember most of it.

Speaking of which, we need screenshots and trailers of this edition now, or I'll lose hope of seeing it release before June.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
SĂŁo Paulo - Brazil
I used to replay the trilogy a lot a few years ago, before Andromeda came out, to the point where I almost knew everything every characters would say.

Hell, I bet that even when I'll play the Legendary edition, I'll still remember most of it.

Speaking of which, we need screenshots and trailers of this edition now, or I'll lose hope of seeing it release before June.

I'm getting desperate.

Everything was ok, but with the tease that we might see things soon and all this talk about Mass Effect I'm start to lose control!

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hartford, CT
My favorite 3D game ever, I must have played through this 7 times now over the years. Its just so wonderfully paced and the characters are written so well. I can't wait to see what the remaster looks like.

Oct 29, 2017
I'm getting desperate.

Everything was ok, but with the tease that we might see things soon and all this talk about Mass Effect I'm start to lose control!

Shinobi's teases are going to be the death of me. I've been frantically F5'ing Resetera all week waiting for Legendary Edition news.

They wouldn't drop news on a Friday, right? So it's got to be today or tomorrow.

SeanMN

Oct 28, 2017
One of my favorite games of all time. I was stunned playing when it first came out - the save importing, the characters, the refined gunplay, the visuals, the story, it was all just incredible. I couldn't believe that a team had managed to make a game of such quality.

I did a full insanity replay last year (on XB1 via BC) and there were definitely some flaws that came through that I hadn't noticed before. I'll say that the game is much less fun on insanity difficulty: with the fact that guns were locked to character classes (something I hope they address in the Legendary edition) and also that basically every enemy had shields or armor added. I started my insanity run with engineer, but had to restart as a solider class partway through (the solider being the only class that starts with assault rifles is a poor design decision). On my original playthrough I was paragon all the way, though on my replay I played as more of a "paragon with a temper" character (mostly good, but liked to punch people if they deserved it) and while I experienced some fun moments doing it that way, it also negatively affected the overall outcome of the game (character relationships, dialogue choices, survivors) - I much prefer the paragon/renegade system in ME3.

Bobson Dugnutt

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
while it sagged a bit and you see the strings more in this game than the other two on repeat playthroughs, the first go on the game was excellent. there's very few things in gaming (hell in general) that got me as pumped and on edge as the suicide mission.

on another note, I must go back to the 360 and buy the citadel dlc for 3 while I have the chance still. only one I haven't played in the series.

Last edited:

KomandaHeck

Oct 26, 2017
That Conrad Verner gif reminded me of the import bug where he reacts as though you intimidated him in ME1 regardless of what you actually did. I wonder if they'll fix it in the remaster considering they then gave him a line in ME3 apologising for his confusion.

Boogolo

Nov 1, 2020
One of my favourite games of all time. First time I ever used to rush home from the office at lunchtime to get 30 minutes of gaming time in

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
The character missions were amazing, the music was incredible (I prefer it to the ost from the first game) and it was incredibly fun, and the final mission is epic.
I do think character interactions between thempeaked on ME3 and thats one of the things ME3 did better, with mass effect 1 doing exploration.

I would really love if a new mass effect captured the best parts of each of the 3 mass effects in the trilogy.

Cubs017

Mar 16, 2020
Easily a Top 5 game all-time for me. One of the few games where I played it enough to get all of the achievements. I know some people preferred ME1, but I thought that ME2 did a good job of streamlining things while still providing a great experience.

I can't wait for the remaster - I was actually hoping that we would get the release date to celebrate the ME2 anniversary.