• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
11 years ago, Mass Effect 2 came out. We already have threads fondly remembering its widely-loved launch trailer, but it's so important to remember just how much that game delivered on all that hype and expectations, becoming one of the highest-rated games of all time, one of the most beloved titles of its generation, and still being fondly remembered as the pinnacle of Bioware's output.
Bioware-The_Team.jpg

While it's not a flawless game (hello "planet scanning") and you can levy legitimate arguments against its overarching story (the Collector storyline is admittedly weak) and it did a lot to streamline the RPG mechanics of the original and removed a lot of the exploration and gear customization... it just did so much more, with some of the most exciting character missions in video game history, with vastly improved and responsive combat, with better production values, an incredible voice cast, a massive scope, and some truly stunning DLC support.
ME_1.jpg

11 years ago today, I was powering through the game, jaw legit dropping as the game took the template of the original game and deftly evolved it, while showing the fruits of its "decisions-carry-over" save system. Fans of the original had dramatic twists and turns that kept us on our toes. And most excitingly we were all doing this in real-time - comparing notes and seeing which choices from the original game were altering the story compared to someone else, while enjoying the new perspective and worlds introduced in the sequel with fresh eyes. From the seedy underbelly of Afterlife to the post-apocalyptic ruins of Tuchanka, we were in for a significantly darker, grittier, and more morally complicated story, one where the right decisions felt more difficult.

But none of that compares to the blitz we all had with the legendary Suicide Run.
1-mass-effect-2-lissa-barone.jpg

What a RUSH. I doubt a moment in history like that can ever properly be replicated. I was glued to the Bioware Social Network as people took a deep breath and dived into the final mission. Nobody knew the exact behind-the-curtain system that was running the Suicide Mission. People who didn't take their time to prepare were met with catastrophic failure. Anyone and everyone could die, and we began to see that pan out on the message boards. "Oh god, I lost Mordin!". "No! NO! Samara! DAMMIT!" "Guys... I can't believe it. Grunt didn't make it".

There was so much anger and despair... but then so much triumph on the other end. "My heart stopped. I thought I'd lost Tali in the vents!". "Oh hell! Garrus was shot! Garrus was... oh, thank goodness!" "YOU SHOW 'EM JACK! YOU MY GIRL!", etc.

The weight of every decision felt like it truly mattered, and the knowledge that if a character died then they wouldn't appear in Mass Effect 3 lingered hard over the entire mission. Who do you choose as your 2nd unit squad leader? Who do you send through the vents? Who is your Biotic shield? Make your choices wisely, and hope you got all your characters loyal.

And... that was over a decade ago. Two console generations ago now. A whole new generation of gamers have come that have never experienced Mass Effect 2, and I'm absolutely giddy that the trilogy will be released soon on modern systems for a new wave of players to experience.
mass-effect-1244461-1280x0.jpeg

With a re-release imminent, this is a special anniversary as we reflect on what was once there before. From the art to the music to the characters, Mass Effect 2 still is firmly entrenched as one of my favorite games of all time.

For the veterans who went through the trenches back in 2010 and afterward, what were your thoughts? What were your favorite memories?

For the newcomers, are you going to jump in this year? What are your expectations?

Either way, it's going to be a great year for Mass Effect, and this is a very special birthday to a very special game, one that changed the way I view gaming as a whole.
FormalDefinitiveFunnelweaverspider-small.gif

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Amazing game, despite some of my issues with it.

Also solidified Garrus as best squadmate.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
One of the best games I've ever played. I remember every character and quest in incredible detail because of how memorable it all was.

I hope we see & hear about the Legendary Edition soon too. Ehem. Very soon.

Oct 27, 2017
Just want to say yet again that the launch trailer is one of the best trailers of all time, which is fitting because Mass Effect 2 is one of the best games of all time.

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
It was my game of the generation and it's probably in my Top 3 all time. Just an incredible game on all levels. I was absolutely enthralled from start to finish and I dreaded finishing it during my first playthrough because I didn't want it to end.

May 17, 2019
ME2 still disappoints me. Loved it when I was younger, but see it now as a pointless game. It removed the feel and universe elements I so adored from the first, while engaging in plenty of sf cliches. Also, really weird sexism.

That being said, Tali and Garrus remain the best

RR30

Oct 22, 2018
Top 5 game all time to me. Can't wait for the remaster. Even if for the 20th time I'll play as the exact same paragon character.

JT60564

Oct 19, 2020
I played this before I knew anything about Bioware or Mass Effect 1 and while I had no idea what was going on in the story, ME2 quickly became one of my all time favorites. Then, importing my carefully crafted ME2 save into ME3 and starting it up was one of the biggest hype moments for me in gaming, and I loved every second of it even with the infamous ending. I wonder if there will ever be another like it.

MadeULook

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Washington State
I still remember how excited I was to get home from school everyday so I could play more Mass Effect 2. Had me hooked from beginning to end and easily sits as one of my most favorite games of all time.

The Legendary Edition can't come soon enough so I can replay it once again!

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
SĂŁo Paulo - Brazil
My love for ME2 is boundless:

www.resetera.com

So, with Mass Effect 2’s 10th anniversary today, I just wanted to say a bunch of stuff about why I love it so much.

Mass Effect 2 is the most important game in my life. It changed how I perceive not only videogames but also films, series, books and any other form of entertainment or art. Why? Well, the short answer is: because it’s a special game in which every individual part is amazing, and the sum of them...

I've been holding up replaying the trilogy, but I can't do it much longer!

Nov 5, 2017
One of my favourite games of all time and still the best Mass Effect. Can't wait to play it for the eight time in the Legendary edition.

stn

Oct 28, 2017
It was great, no doubt. I love the franchise overall and will definitely get the remaster if its more than just a resolution bump.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
I like the idea and potential of Mass Effect 1 better, but Mass Effect 2 is almost perfectly realized in what it set out to be. One of the best games of the last gen no doubt.

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't play too many games during that generation and this franchise is one of those I never played, but I'm very excited to hop on when the Legendary Edition launches.

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
No game has ever made me as jealous of my friends as this game. All of them got it launch day, I didn't get it for like six months. Longest six months of my life hearing them gush about how amazing it was.

May 25, 2019
London
To this day, I will not understand how BioWare looked at the overwhelmingly positive reception that the loyalty missions got and didn't think to make a Mass Effect game after ME3 that was much more personal and smaller in scope, without a galaxy ending threat. There could be an entire game about helping Quarians for example

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
SĂŁo Paulo - Brazil
No game has ever made me as jealous of my friends as this game. All of them got it launch day, I didn't get it for like six months. Longest six months of my life hearing them gush about how amazing it was.

I didn't have to wait 6 months but I did have to wait a month or so. I got for the 360 and there was no place here selling it on release, I had to wait people get it and buy from them.

For 1 year ME2 was basically the only game I played. It was like one playthrough after the next. I'd rush ME1 in 3~4 hours just to have the savefile I wanted for a different run.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
I started my journey with Mass Effect with a blind demo of Mass Effect 2 on my computer and I was captivated. Played it so many times and never got tired of it, I just found it remarkably paced with an outstanding cast (that was unfortunately wasted in Mass Effect 3).

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
After ME1 I was pretty interested in ME's world, ME2 literally managed to kill any interested I had. A boring game that can barely be called an RPG.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
SĂŁo Paulo - Brazil
Any, to share a memory:

I remember playing Lair of the Shadow Broker, getting in the ship, looking around and thinking: woah. I think that was the moment I realized games had atmospheres, and how much they could enhance the game. It still is one of my favorite setting in any game, just absolutely gorgerous and everything you want from a sci-fi:

shadow_broker_s_ship_by_michawha_d35flwi-fullview.jpg

The image doesn't do it just... you just have to play it.

Jan 4, 2021
Can't wait for the legendary editions. Loved what little I played if ME1 before I retired my Xbox and I don't feel like getting the controller working on my PC copies. Look forward to an upgraded experience on my Ps5

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Being able to import my character from the first and continue their story was such a mind-blowing experience for me at the time.

ME2 is often regarded as the best in the series-- and while it's not my personal favourite, I can see why it is for a lot of people. There's a lot of fantastic moments, even if got away from some of the things I loved about the original.

It's also what I consider to be the perfect length for a story-based RPG.

In a lot of ways, it feels like a soft reboot of the series. The old Normandy being destroyed and Shepard dying and being resurected by Cerberus is a great metaphor for the new direction the series took.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
As someone with a soft spot for mechanics, I loved the streamlining ME2 did. Just about everything was an improvement in my eyes, especially killing off the Mako sections iirc. I know the LE won't be making changes, but god I wish they'd completely omit planet scanning too.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
The beginning of ME2 was incredible. What an amazing way to let you recreate your Shepard and still have it make sense story wise.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
SĂŁo Paulo - Brazil
As someone with a soft spot for mechanics, I loved the streamlining ME2 did. Just about everything was an improvement in my eyes, especially killing off the Mako sections iirc. I know the LE won't be making changes, but god I wish they'd completely omit planet scanning too.

I wouldn't omit it but I would make it almost needless. Just make sure every playthrough gets the bonus you had if you imported your Shepard and greatly increase the amount of minerals you get from missions (instead of 2000 make it 20000 for example).

OP
OP
Garlador

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I wouldn't omit it but I would make it almost needless. Just make sure every playthrough gets the bonus you had if you imported your Shepard and greatly increase the amount of minerals you get from missions (instead of 2000 make it 20000 for example).
I was there pre-patch when the scanner was significantly slower... But it does slow the game down.

On the other hand, I'd never get rid of it.

Dec 25, 2018
Think I got it day or two after release (when I could get to a shop that had it in stock), felt a bit off that day and figured I should at least make sure I had the game to play if anything happened, turned out later that evening I would get sick and housebound for the next week or two, the game helping me through it.

Such a great experience, I had to start another playthrough not long after the credits rolled (that and Mordin died and I couldn't have that.)

Mad_Rhetoric

Banned
May 7, 2019
Hail to the masterpiece!

Geez, I remember last year (the 10th anniversary) seeming not that long ago.....time keeps flying.

KamenRiderEra

Oct 25, 2017
The overall story is kinda filler to the Reapers threat, but the chars interaction... The charisma of the entire cast... Oh my, one of the best gaming moments of my life.

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Still one of my favorite games of all time and my favorite in the series.

I can't wait to replay it.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
I would gladly accept your compromise! I did enjoy reading some of the planet blurbs, to be absolutely fair. Too bad that memory is entangled with nightmares of the pre-patch scanning speed haha.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
I like planet scanning. I wish the suicide mission was harder. Garrus is still the GOAT

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I wonder if BioWare regret using the suicide mission as the premise for the middle chapter. It was an awesome moment, but having so many variables must have made planning ME3 so much more difficult.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017

They also need to fix the Praetorian fight on Insanity difficulty -- it's basically broken. Maybe the Collector Ship too.

OP
OP
Garlador

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
They also need to fix the Praetorian fight on Insanity difficulty -- it's basically broken. Maybe the Collector Ship too.
Man, I remember going for the Insanity achievement and the Praetorian and Collector Ship sections were gut-tighteningly difficult. Even Grunt with all his shield buffs activated was just crumpling like paper against those things.

I'm pretty sure I was running around in a panic and somehow managed to get through those tough sections through sheer hit-n-run tactics.

Everyone talks up the Banshees, but the Praetorians are MY personal big dreaded enemy. Wish they had shown up in ME3 more than just multiplayer.
tumblr_n0xtf0vUeM1s4hm8fo1_400.gif

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
Loved planet scanning, I only wish there was more upgrades to use all the resources. I think I depleted the entire Galaxy.

Hopefully the March release date is try so the reveal should be sooner than later.