• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
Yeah, I wouldn't expect people to do it manually. I just have no interest in defining sets through gearswap in the same way that I muddle through combat using the menus a lot because especially while leveling up and getting new abilities frequently, I didn't want to deal with making macros. Also the idea of farming multiple sets of gear doesn't seem like something I'm going to want to do.

If you are just playing for the story, I don't think you need to really swap gear at all. Gear swapping is mostly used in tougher content.

Velorath

Feb 28, 2018
If you are just playing for the story, I don't think you need to really swap gear at all. Gear swapping is mostly used in tougher content.

It's mostly something I brought up because to me it's just a bizarre thing to balance an endgame around. Having already finished the RoV end boss without having to do it, I'm not anticipating it being necessary for any of the other story content. My initial post was more just my overview of FFXI as a whole as well as my particular experience with it.

Minthara

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
It's mostly something I brought up because to me it's just a bizarre thing to balance an endgame around. Having already finished the RoV end boss without having to do it, I'm not anticipating it being necessary for any of the other story content. My initial post was more just my overview of FFXI as a whole as well as my particular experience with it.

For the record: I'm fully with you, its the thing I dislike the most about the game. It causes players to carry around 20 different sets for stupid situational reasons or end up playing jobs like my Ranged, where you have a gearset for when you press ranged attack, a gearset for after that moment until you attack and another gear set for a few seconds after that when you weapon skill, its exhausting.

Unfortunately its a design choice they've chosen to stick with, and is especially bad when playing mage jobs. There are a few jobs that can get away with less gear, especially as you reach those end game pieces that you full time.

But yea, to me the gear swapping is easily the games worst thing.

Velorath

Feb 28, 2018
Yes, 90% of the content in the game is soloable now -- everything that will concern you going through the stories. You get "trusts," summonable NPC party members, who are quite powerful, and make you totally self-sufficient, to the point where you could go from level 1-99 virtually naked.

Other than that, the game is extremely friendly to newcomers who want to experience the story. There's an extensive tutorial system that teaches and rewards you, and this month there are various events coinciding that drastically increase the friendliness of the game. For instance, not only is there an on-going event that doubles EXP and skill-ups, but next week (beginning tomorrow) you'll get an Echad Ring, which is a permanent item that increases EXP by 150% (up to 30,000 bonus EXP earned)... with just a 2hr cooldown.

Limited-time events are happening for the anniversary in May that provide access to various particularly overpowered trust NPCs, as well as other rewards. Plus the game's only $10 right now. If you want to get into it, I'd highly suggest buying it right now, and at the very least logging in once for the next several weeks to get the login rewards.

Couple things to add to this for those who want to jump in new during this event:

- The earlier you get in, the more login points you'll get during the login campaign (you get 100 points per day when you log in and there are a lot of trusts for sale for 100 points each and a really good one that costs 300).

- There are also trusts currently available from some other vendors. However this game has like 10 different types of currency most of which you won't have when you start, and some of the vendors are in places you might not be able to access easily. There are ways to get those currencies but it can get overwhelming when you're already trying to acclimate to so many other things.

- That said, a lot of the trusts that you get access to for free near the start are perfectly capable of going through most of the story content.

- This guide provides a pretty good overview of how new players should progress through the game. Some of the post-99 stuff seems a little jumbled and overly complicated but as a whole it was pretty helpful to me.

Minthara

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
Also: you'll want to log-in 4 of the next 7 weeks because a ton of important experience boost items will be given out. Kupofried (10% Exp trust), Echad ring (+200% Exp every 2 hours) and the Vanaclock (+10% Exp furniture) among them.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Also: you'll want to log-in 4 of the next 7 weeks because a ton of important experience boost items will be given out. Kupofried (10% Exp trust), Echad ring (+200% Exp every 2 hours) and the Vanaclock (+10% Exp furniture) among them.
What do I need to do in order to get the Trust NPC's? I'm a new player so do I need to hit some particular level?

Velorath

Feb 28, 2018
What do I need to do in order to get the Trust NPC's? I'm a new player so do I need to hit some particular level?

As I linked to previously this new player guide covers a lot of the basics. That said you have to be level 5 first in order to get the quest in your starting kingdom that unlocks trusts (once you've done the quest though, you can summon them even when you're trying another job and you're lv. 1).

You'll want to familiarize yourself with the Records of Eminence also. Among being a great source of bonus XP and a currency called Sparks, there's a chain of trusts you unlock through it.

Minthara

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal

Level 5! Check your quests > records of eminence once you unlock them. To unlock them, speak to the following NPCs, depending where you started:

From one of the FFXI wikis:

ffxiclopedia.fandom.com

Records of Eminence

Records of Eminence are a set of self-imposed challenges with similar rewards, designed to passively reward adventurers as they carry about their adventuring goals. From the Quests menu, you may select up to 30 objectives at any given time to complete (in addition to a single limited-time...

jblanco

Oct 27, 2017
My favorite game of all time. There is so much depth to it... So much to explore...

Back when the Chains of Promathia came out, the game was hardcore AF. Every single player in the 6 or 18 ppl party had a role to play. Stun rotations anyone? SATA? It was the Dark Souls of Final Fantasy lol

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
As I linked to previously this new player guide covers a lot of the basics. That said you have to be level 5 first in order to get the quest in your starting kingdom that unlocks trusts (once you've done the quest though, you can summon them even when you're trying another job and you're lv. 1).

You'll want to familiarize yourself with the Records of Eminence also. Among being a great source of bonus XP and a currency called Sparks, there's a chain of trusts you unlock through it.
Level 5! Check your quests > records of eminence once you unlock them. To unlock them, speak to the following NPCs, depending where you started:

From one of the FFXI wikis:

ffxiclopedia.fandom.com

Records of Eminence

Records of Eminence are a set of self-imposed challenges with similar rewards, designed to passively reward adventurers as they carry about their adventuring goals. From the Quests menu, you may select up to 30 objectives at any given time to complete (in addition to a single limited-time...
Thanks! Is there any way to make the game not crash if I accidentally click outside the window??

jiggle

Dec 23, 2017
Loved this game so much
Even though the BST nerf left such a bad taste in my mouth still

If you have multiple characters they can all get an eschad ring and send it to your main character!

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I can't say I've had that happen to me but I generally launch the game through Windower (kind of a loading program for Playonline/FFXI that allows you to easily select add-ons and such).
You'll need FFXI Windower, which you can find here: http://www.windower.net/

Windower will not get you banned unless you download shady addons for it (so don't do that!). The game will still crash if a windows admin authorization pops up though.
Thanks again! So far it's been a huge pain to get going, but once I did it's been pretty smooth (other than some really archaic design decisions, like having to initiate a trade with NPC's instead of having them ask for an item and automatically opening a trade window).

I did at least manage to get all the alter ego's that I can as a newbie, there are like 5 or 6 that require access to cities I can't get to.

OP
OP
Toth

Toth

Oct 26, 2017
Don't worry about doing quests in the game at the start. This isn't like WoW where quests reward anything significant and are used for leveling. The ones that matter will likely be pointed out in any guide. After you hit around 41, then you should start the artifact armor quest.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Don't worry about doing quests in the game at the start. This isn't like WoW where quests reward anything significant and are used for leveling. The ones that matter will likely be pointed out in any guide. After you hit around 41, then you should start the artifact armor quest.
Yeah I'm planning on following that Quickstart 1-119 guide and I think it has me work on artifact armor in the 50's and the weapon in the 40's.

One quick question, I'm a level 10 RDM and have 1 spell and no armor/weapon upgrades yet, should I be worried about this or just let my Trusts do all the fighting?

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
FFXI > FFXIV...only if FFXI could get a graphics overhaul 😭
Last time I checked there was some work done by fan(s?) at least texture wise.

The down side seem to be that it's really really not a 1:1 from the original textures ( as opposed to say, the hd rework of resident evil 4 ).

Minthara

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
Yeah I'm planning on following that Quickstart 1-119 guide and I think it has me work on artifact armor in the 50's and the weapon in the 40's.

One quick question, I'm a level 10 RDM and have 1 spell and no armor/weapon upgrades yet, should I be worried about this or just let my Trusts do all the fighting?

You get armor and weapon upgrades using sparks from Records of Eminence.

For spells, go here an you'll see all the spells you can learn and at the level you can learn them. If you click a spell, it'll tell you where its sold/where it drops: https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Red_Mage

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I'm sure some of you guys already saw these videos. Oh my god the nostalgia...

Buff Beefbroth

Chicken Chaser
Apr 12, 2018
One of the most incredible games ever made.

I'd love to see a singleplayer remaster or remake with a few tweaks to modernize it.

ThatNerdGUI

Prophet of Truth
Mar 19, 2020
It's been 18yrs already? I remember getting the HDD and game bundle for the PS2. This game was so much fun. I still jump into a private server from time to time.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Is there any way for a low level character like me (12) to get to Eastern Adoulin to get Amchuchu, or am I just out of luck getting them this event?

OP
OP
Toth

Toth

Oct 26, 2017

For RDM, defintely invest in Dia and all stat down spells. They make a huge difference on any mob and RDM is all about enfeebling monsters to high hell, and then nuking and using sword weaponskills to finish them off. Try to level up your enfeebling, elemental, and sword skills each level to max. Enhancing skill will come naturally. RDM is a great solo class so you should have a lot of fun.

Neoraxis

Nov 27, 2017
Best online game period, i came back recently to finish the story and it was fun but there is not much really to do after you beat the final boss of Rhapsodies of Vanadiel...players are just farming stuff to make ultimate weapons ..etc but there is nothing to fight lol, its just mindless farming now.

I think what they need to do is a complete remaster, not necessarily a remake...just upgrade the graphics and add a new UI, new expansion and release it on consoles.

Minthara

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
Best online game period, i came back recently to finish the story and it was fun but there is not much really to do after you beat the final boss of Rhapsodies of Vanadiel...players are just farming stuff to make ultimate weapons ..etc but there is nothing to fight lol, its just mindless farming now.

Not entirely true, with the addition of Omen and Dynamics Divergence, in addition to Escha and Ambuscade, there's still plenty to do. They also added Odyssey, which will likely be fleshed out over the next few content drops. Some Ambuscade weapons are so strong that they can compete with or be better than some relic, mythic, empyrean and aeonic options.

They also added the ability to upgrade all 3 sets of armor (artifact, relic and empyrean) through the new content. It's not the most engaging thing ever, but there is definitely stuff to do besides farm relics.

OP
OP
Toth

Toth

Oct 26, 2017
Not entirely true, with the addition of Omen and Dynamics Divergence, in addition to Escha and Ambuscade, there's still plenty to do. They also added Odyssey, which will likely be fleshed out over the next few content drops. Some Ambuscade weapons are so strong that they can compete with or be better than some relic, mythic, empyrean and aeonic options.

They also added the ability to upgrade all 3 sets of armor (artifact, relic and empyrean) through the new content. It's not the most engaging thing ever, but there is definitely stuff to do besides farm relics.

You can also do daily dragon kills to get points toward items from across all expansions, incluing very rare ingredients for very strong craftable items.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I just can't get any controllers to work. :( I've tried a DS4 and X1 controller, I've downloaded the Windows 7 Xbox 360 drivers, I've turned off controller always on in Windower, I've set up the controls in all 3 versions of the controller setup tool (US, EU, JP), and no matter what I do the controller stops working in the game but works perfectly in the config tool...

Edit: It appears to work fine without Windower... So I gotta figure out why that's causing a problem.

Edit 2: I finally got it to work! Had to delete and reinstall Windower and make every .exe file in the FFXI folder run as admin...

Last edited:

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
The world of this game is so good. Dangerous, beautiful, and it has great music that fits the areas so well to set the mood.

He actual came back recently and posted new videos. Not as good as his Vanadiel scenery ones, but still good
This one is a super-cut of all the story cutscenes set to various key themes including Rhapsodies of Vana'diel

HouseAR

May 17, 2020
I gave this game almost 2000 hours of playtime (which is probably a fraction of what others have put into), and I have to admit it's my deepest gaming experience ever. Still today, 10+ years after quitting the game, I sometimes whistle Bastok's song etc...

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Hit level 30 last night before bed, you can definitely tell it's an old MMO but once you get past the dated systems it's been pretty fun. I can't wait to start getting into the expansions and the more interesting parts of the story.

StrykerIsland

Oct 25, 2017
One of the best games ever made. I was deeply addicted to it. And yet FF14 failed to capture my attention for any significant period of time. Not sure why.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
A bunch of 18th anniversary interviews
screenrant.com

Final Fantasy XI Interview

Final Fantasy XI's director and producer talk about the game's legacy and future.

hardcoregamer.com

Discussing 18 Years of Success with Final Fantasy XI Developers - Hardcore Gamer

Final Fantasy XI today marks its eighteenth anniversary. Originally released in 2002, Square Enix's first MMORPG hit the ground running on PC and PS2 with a

www.dualshockers.com

Final Fantasy XI Interview - Director and Producer Reveal Experiences and Hopes, Special Message to Western Fans

With the 18th anniversary of Final Fantasy XI, Director Yoji Fujito and Producer Akihiko Matsui look back and forward at the long-running MMORPG.

Deader2818

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Anyone remember the music video where a taru and a hume or another race where the taru goes

"yes i can yes i can yes i caaaaaaan"

or something like that? Been looking for it for sooo long but can't find it :(

youtu.be

taru can do anything

This a project i made for my icam40 class and my first attempt to machinima. Thanks you all for your comments. I'm sorry I can't send you guys a downloadable...

Velorath

Feb 28, 2018
One of the best games ever made. I was deeply addicted to it. And yet FF14 failed to capture my attention for any significant period of time. Not sure why.

I like FFXIV quite a bit and the most recent expansion was pretty great story-wise. Not sure how far along you got but it may be worth jumping back into once they release the patch where they're reworking some of the MSQ stuff.

Back to FFXI, I finished off the Adoulin missions last night. Also leveled Summoner up from 20 to 77 in a few hours. Putting some time into knocking out more of Aht Urhgan and Wings of the Goddess but will probably get SMN up to 99 in a day or two.

When I jumped back in I made a new character since my original was only at lv. 30 (that character has become a but of an AH mule). New characters can't do the Gobbiedial stuff until they're 45 days old so I've got 9 more days until I can start blowing through all the keys I've been getting for the current campaign and the last one.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I like FFXIV quite a bit and the most recent expansion was pretty great story-wise. Not sure how far along you got but it may be worth jumping back into once they release the patch where they're reworking some of the MSQ stuff.

Back to FFXI, I finished off the Adoulin missions last night. Also leveled Summoner up from 20 to 77 in a few hours. Putting some time into knocking out more of Aht Urhgan and Wings of the Goddess but will probably get SMN up to 99 in a day or two.

When I jumped back in I made a new character since my original was only at lv. 30 (that character has become a but of an AH mule). New characters can't do the Gobbiedial stuff until they're 45 days old so I've got 9 more days until I can start blowing through all the keys I've been getting for the current campaign and the last one.
Wow, that's really fast leveling... What do you do to level your jobs so quickly?

Velorath

Feb 28, 2018
Wow, that's really fast leveling... What do you do to level your jobs so quickly?

It starts to go faster after you've done the Rhapsodies of Vana'diel missions since you get a lot of permanent XP bonuses along the way. A lot of those you aren't going to be able to do until much later levels so it ends up being much more of a benefit if you're leveling up other jobs after you get one to 99.

Also though you'll get better at making use of the RoE quests once you get used to it. For instance if you're going to be in one area farming for a while, turn on the repeatable Combat (Region) quest for that zone.

You can also buy an xp bonus ring for conquest points. They have a limited amount of charges, but you can get them recharged once a week for a smaller amount of conquest points.

Edit: Also should add that because of the limit break quests later on, on your first job to 99 every 5 levels you're going to have to pause after leveling a bit to get the next limit break taken care of. That's something you won't have to worry about again if you level up other jobs.

Shantae

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Feb 15, 2019
I fucking loved Final Fantasy XI, and still consider it just a huge part of not just my gaming time, but of my life because I soaked so many hours into it. Sadly it just feels impossible to go back :( Not only is the cooperative feeling gone, but it also just felt so barren and empty, even on the so called more populated servers.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
Special game. Gave me memories I will cherish forever. I miss the friends I made in that game so much.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I was graduating in 2004. I was the valedictorian; I was giving a speech in front of around 1,500 combined students, faculty, and family. It was a collective triumph of years of hard work and accolades, and the summation of my high school successes.

The entire time I was on that fucking stage I just kept thinking about how I wanted to go home and level my dark knight.

A special game, and a special time. FFXI rules.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
I fucking loved Final Fantasy XI, and still consider it just a huge part of not just my gaming time, but of my life because I soaked so many hours into it. Sadly it just feels impossible to go back :( Not only is the cooperative feeling gone, but it also just felt so barren and empty, even on the so called more populated servers.

Mm, Asura is quite overcrowded if anything. Each Home Point is swarmed with idlers. Yeah, there's no EXP parties populating low level zones like the old days, but even then those were designated to select areas and camps. The actual cities and towns (and I imagine endgame areas) are packed here.

Hit level 30 last night before bed, you can definitely tell it's an old MMO but once you get past the dated systems it's been pretty fun. I can't wait to start getting into the expansions and the more interesting parts of the story.

What server did you start on, out of curiosity? Could help out if it's Asura.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
I would strongly suggest against Asura unless you know people there or just want to have a busy server feeling.

Most servers have players, Asura itself while large does not condtitute the majority of players in the game either.
For returners, joining your original servers may lead to chance encounters of old friends. The NA community is far from dead outside Asura.

If anything it's more balanced. As ASURA is almost all NA players, and Odin is heavily Japanese, most other servers tend to have a more evenly split and brings the old sense of dual communities between JPN and NA/EU players.

Here is the server population list*

Database - FFXIAH.com

FFXI Auction House Online

*This is a third party data tracking Auction house activity, so may not be 100% accurate

SE will be hosting a look at the current game and its system this Friday, 5/22
OP
OP
Toth

Toth

Oct 26, 2017
Can a mod add in the title that SE will be hosting a look at the current game and its system this Friday, 5/22?

Have you ever wanted to experience the world of Vana'diel but didn't know where to start? Maybe you're checking out the Return Home to Vana'diel Campaign, but unsure of the steps to catch up. Be sure to mark your calendar and tune in for the second episode of the Primed for Adventure!

Sicycre and Okieeomi from the North American Community team are excited to continue their journey in Vana'diel with you. They'll be showcasing changes to the game as well as checking out Seekers of Adoulin and stepping into Ambuscade together with players!

■Date & Time:
Friday, May 22, 2020 at 3:00 p.m. (PDT)

■World:
Asura

■Where to watch:
The official FINAL FANTASY XI Twitch Channel