• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Tempted to make a new account again myself.

I assume I still have to go through POL and the nonsense login/patching measures where it takes 18 hours to download 10,000 files that amount to 8gigs? haha?

Really would love to play this again with a group though, might suffer it for a few months of nostalgic fun.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Tempted to make a new account again myself.

I assume I still have to go through POL and the nonsense login/patching measures where it takes 18 hours to download 10,000 files that amount to 8gigs? haha?

Really would love to play this again with a group though, might suffer it for a few months of nostalgic fun.

Still have to go through POL, but it's not as bad as it used to be. Took me like half an hour maybe.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Still have to go through POL, but it's not as bad as it used to be. Took me like half an hour maybe.

Hmm, I also noticed you can download a third party pack of files to cut a huge chunk of the time off too. Now I gotta figure out how to get it. It's not on steam in Japan but it is on the Square Enix e-store. Just worried if I grab this version I won't be able to change the language in game. I got 14 this way but you can mess with the settings instantly and get it in a different language.

fake edit- guess I could just make an account and grab the ENG client from a third party source at this point?

Last edited:

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Just finished 4 job quests: Dragoon, Scholar, Samurai, and Geomancer. Also got my full set of RSE. I'm definitely having a lot of fun, it was well worth the $10 charge for the game and all expansions!

Spiritreaver

Oct 26, 2017
Just finished 4 job quests: Dragoon, Scholar, Samurai, and Geomancer. Also got my full set of RSE. I'm definitely having a lot of fun, it was well worth the $10 charge for the game and all expansions!
Geomancer is such a cool job. I'm impressed they came up with decent jobs so late in the game's life. The class design in XI is second to none.

Buff Beefbroth

Chicken Chaser
Apr 12, 2018
Wellp, you guys convinced me to jump back in after I quit in Chains of Promathia, and my controller doesn't work in game.

Works fine in the FFXI Config app, detects all the buttons normally, but just plain doesn't function in the game.

Windower is set to Always Enable Gamepad as well.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Wellp, you guys convinced me to jump back in after I quit in Chains of Promathia, and my controller doesn't work in game.

Works fine in the FFXI Config app, detects all the buttons normally, but just plain doesn't function in the game.

Windower is set to Always Enable Gamepad as well.

Is XInput enabled in FFXIConfig? And what controller are you using? If a DS4, there might be some conflict with a setting in DS4Windows.

Buff Beefbroth

Chicken Chaser
Apr 12, 2018
I just can't get any controllers to work. :( I've tried a DS4 and X1 controller, I've downloaded the Windows 7 Xbox 360 drivers, I've turned off controller always on in Windower, I've set up the controls in all 3 versions of the controller setup tool (US, EU, JP), and no matter what I do the controller stops working in the game but works perfectly in the config tool...

Edit: It appears to work fine without Windower... So I gotta figure out why that's causing a problem.

Edit 2: I finally got it to work! Had to delete and reinstall Windower and make every .exe file in the FFXI folder run as admin...

I'll have to give this a try tomorrow, thanks!

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Jumped back in last night for about an hour. Got my character to level 5 and unlocked trusts before calling it. A few questions!

- How are new trusts earned, there seems to be so little info on this. Is it by missions, just random quests, automatically? Do I need to actively seek out those NPC's and "trust" them?

- Game seems to have a lot of input delay, is this normal these days?

- What are some windower ad-on's that are recommended?

- Are the sparks and RoE things just complete as you go and don't think about it? Or is it recommneded I cash out so to speak every so often?

Did not look over everything since it took a while to get set up in the game but looking forward to trying more after work! Currently on a trial account to see if it hooks me, will probably grab the expansions though if it does.

OP
OP
Toth

Toth

Oct 26, 2017
Jumped back in last night for about an hour. Got my character to level 5 and unlocked trusts before calling it. A few questions!

- How are new trusts earned, there seems to be so little info on this. Is it by missions, just random quests, automatically? Do I need to actively seek out those NPC's and "trust" them?

- Are the sparks and RoE things just complete as you go and don't think about it? Or is it recommneded I cash out so to speak every so often?

Did not look over everything since it took a while to get set up in the game but looking forward to trying more after work! Currently on a trial account to see if it hooks me, will probably grab the expansions though if it does.

https://www.bg-wiki.com/ should be able to answer most of those questions.

As for windower add-ons, try this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4ByGc2M1R0

OP
OP
Toth

Toth

Oct 26, 2017

Also, the windower video, besides showing how fast and smooth the game runs at lvl 99, shows add-ons that will combat the input delay and uncap your fps.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017

- You'll soon earn beginner trusts for each role via RoE tutorials (a tank, a healer, a physical dps, a magical dps, a support). You'll also receive trusts when completing various missions and quests, and you can join a Unity (beside the spark vendor) to get access to that specific unity leader as a trust. (Apururu is one of the better Unity options, as she's the best healer trust in the game.)

Purchase limited time trusts from the event moogles with your daily login points (Shantotto II is highly recommended, costs 300 points), as well as a couple each with sparks / Conquest (gate guard) / bayld (NPC in Adoulin -- recommended you get Amchuchu for a great tank) / tabs (from any Field Manual -- recommended you get Sakura for increased combat skillups).

- I'm not sure what you mean about input lag. There's an annoying delay before things load after zoning, but that's about it. Actually using spells and such shouldn't be very laggy (at least it isn't for me using a controller).

- That video you were linked already is good, though much of it revolves around endgame stuff you won't have to think about for awhile. The FFXIDB plugin's minimap is essential. The boxdestroyer addon can make solving chests mindless. DistancePlus is a nice, small quality-of-life addition (shows your distance from things, and when you're in range to do job-relevant things). DressUp can change your appearance (race/face/etc). MountMuzzle can suppress the mount music so that zone music plays.

It's not native to windower, so you'll have to manually add it to windower's addon folder (instructions), but the skillchain addon is invaluable too.

- Buy any spark gear you want whenever you want; lower level gear is negligible cost. Sparks are easy to cap out at endgame. If/when you accumulate excess sparks, you can spend them on Acheron Shields in the 70+ bracket, then vendor those for 25k/per. That'll net you around a million gil per spark cap, but even a few hundred thousand gil will last you awhile at low levels.

- Try to stay on top of setting RoE objectives to earn sparks, gear rewards, etc. Obviously do the Tutorials/Basics stuff as necessary, but also set any pertinent Combat objectves (e.g., every time you go EXP in a new zone, set that area as the objective, and completing that will earn you sparks + a piece of gear), as well as Unity objectives and Daily objectives (under Other). Probably a good idea to set most/all elemental crystals as loot objectives too, since they'll be constant drops with Signet active (P.S. - always keep Signet active from a gate guard; it lasts 14 hours so there's no excuse).

Last edited:

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Thanks for the info!
- I'm not sure what you mean about input lag. There's an annoying delay before things load after zoning, but that's about it. Actually using spells and such shouldn't be very laggy (at least it isn't for me using a controller)

Maybe it was just when I logged in or Asura, or maybe I was downloading in the background, but I had some intense lag spikes when confirming commands. In general it did not feel like the game was running all that well but I think with windower options enabled it should stablize.

But I'm pretty hype for PSO2 next week but I think I'll go ahead and grab the full copies of this and play off and on. Might remake my character if I can get one of those gold passes as well. Sad that the sale price here in Japan is x2 the NA price. Oh well, Square Enix tax is real here lol.

Oct 25, 2017
After 2 days of looking for my security token, I finally found it! Apparently my last login was in August 2014. I remember some things around that time but mostly feel that I kind of just ended things a bit after Seekers came out. Sort of remember RoE stuff but I don't think I did much with it. Anyways I probably won't play for more than 2-3 hours a night and not necessarily everyday. My ultimate goal is to finish the story, starting with what little I have left of WoTG. I may have to rewatch the early SoA stuff--I remember reaching the capital or whatever and that was it.

I'll probably spend the first couple of days trying to consolidate my mules (apparently I have 7 of them) so I can just cancel those to pay for the mog wardrobes, if I need them.

Buff Beefbroth

Chicken Chaser
Apr 12, 2018
Getting this game to run on modern hardware is a nightmare.

Never could get my Xinput controller to work with Windower after hours of troubleshooting and following suggestions in this thread.

Controller works with Ashita, but I can't seem to get correct aspect ratio on an ultrawide display.

I give up.

Remake FFXI.

Kaper

Oct 26, 2017
Decided to just buy another copy of the game since it comes with a free month. What server should I be looking to choose (NA)? And whats this about a Gold World Pass I've heard talk about? I haven't found a solid answer.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
I miss this game so much.
Also: Compact Keyboard control scheme or bust!

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
Decided to just buy another copy of the game since it comes with a free month. What server should I be looking to choose (NA)? And whats this about a Gold World Pass I've heard talk about? I haven't found a solid answer.
Asura is the best server going these days, since it has a very good population, roughly 2000 or so. A few ERA members are on there as well, I'll be starting there sometime!

Kaper

Oct 26, 2017
Asura it is! Hopefully I'll have time to make a character tomorrow, and if someone from Asura is able to PM me a Gold World Pass I would greatly appreciate it!

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
Asura it is! Hopefully I'll have time to make a character tomorrow, and if someone from Asura is able to PM me a Gold World Pass I would greatly appreciate it!

Sure! I'll grab one for you and PM you the code here.

I don't think there is an official Era linkshell but mine will likely happily have you (I'll ask) and I know Disclaimer mentioned having room in theirs as well. You can be in up to two active ones anyway :)

Oct 25, 2017
Does the game typically run poorly on newer integrated graphics on laptops? Getting low teen fps here at 2256 x 1504. I'll drop the resolution but nothing changes. I'm using a Surface Laptop 3.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Does the game typically run poorly on newer integrated graphics on laptops? Getting low teen fps here at 2256 x 1504. I'll drop the resolution but nothing changes. I'm using a Surface Laptop 3.
No it shouldn't run poorly. I can run it on my old 2009 ACER laptop with integrated RadeonHD graphics at 30fps , admittedly at a much lower resolution.
THat said, Try running it at 1080p and see if you see an improvement. I'm not sure how strong surface laptop's IG is, but I run FFXI at 4K at 60fps on my PC without my older 1080 breaking a sweat, so it really shouldn't be that taxing.

Also keep in mind that as FFXI is an older game, it does not support multi-threading, so your per core performance will matter more. But agian given the laptop is fairly recent, I can't imagine a single core is going to be an issue here.

Minthara

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
No it shouldn't run poorly. I can run it on my old 2009 ACER laptop with integrated RadeonHD graphics at 30fps , admittedly at a much lower resolution.
THat said, Try running it at 1080p and see if you see an improvement. I'm not sure how strong surface laptop's IG is, but I run FFXI at 4K at 60fps on my PC without my older 1080 breaking a sweat, so it really shouldn't be that taxing.

Also keep in mind that as FFXI is an older game, it does not support multi-threading, so your per core performance will matter more. But agian given the laptop is fairly recent, I can't imagine a single core is going to be an issue here.

I was able to get FFXI running on a Gen 1 Surface Go, but the resolution had to be far lower than native. So it CAN run on a Surface device, but the experience may not be the most smooth because of the aforementioned issue Dekuman mentioned.

So yea, it'll work but you may have to fine-tune the settings a bunch.

Rosol

Oct 29, 2017

Haha, that was the reason I played this game for years on my backwards compatible PS3, rather than 'upgrading' to PC or 360.
The PC version (and pc based 360 version) always had delay in control, the PS2 edition always felt a lot better to play. I think it's because the PC version was sort of built as an emulator of the PS2 game. Wish the PS2 version didn't get retired honestly.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
- You'll soon earn beginner trusts for each role via RoE tutorials (a tank, a healer, a physical dps, a magical dps, a support). You'll also receive trusts when completing various missions and quests, and you can join a Unity (beside the spark vendor) to get access to that specific unity leader as a trust. (Apururu is one of the better Unity options, as she's the best healer trust in the game.)

Purchase limited time trusts from the event moogles with your daily login points (Shantotto II is highly recommended, costs 300 points), as well as a couple each with sparks / Conquest (gate guard) / bayld (NPC in Adoulin -- recommended you get Amchuchu for a great tank) / tabs (from any Field Manual -- recommended you get Sakura for increased combat skillups).

- I'm not sure what you mean about input lag. There's an annoying delay before things load after zoning, but that's about it. Actually using spells and such shouldn't be very laggy (at least it isn't for me using a controller).

- That video you were linked already is good, though much of it revolves around endgame stuff you won't have to think about for awhile. The FFXIDB plugin's minimap is essential. The boxdestroyer addon can make solving chests mindless. DistancePlus is a nice, small quality-of-life addition (shows your distance from things, and when you're in range to do job-relevant things). DressUp can change your appearance (race/face/etc). MountMuzzle can suppress the mount music so that zone music plays.

It's not native to windower, so you'll have to manually add it to windower's addon folder (instructions), but the skillchain addon is invaluable too.

- Buy any spark gear you want whenever you want; lower level gear is negligible cost. Sparks are easy to cap out at endgame. If/when you accumulate excess sparks, you can spend them on Acheron Shields in the 70+ bracket, then vendor those for 25k/per. That'll net you around a million gil per spark cap, but even a few hundred thousand gil will last you awhile at low levels.

- Try to stay on top of setting RoE objectives to earn sparks, gear rewards, etc. Obviously do the Tutorials/Basics stuff as necessary, but also set any pertinent Combat objectves (e.g., every time you go EXP in a new zone, set that area as the objective, and completing that will earn you sparks + a piece of gear), as well as Unity objectives and Daily objectives (under Other). Probably a good idea to set most/all elemental crystals as loot objectives too, since they'll be constant drops with Signet active (P.S. - always keep Signet active from a gate guard; it lasts 14 hours so there's no excuse).
Haha, that was the reason I played this game for years on my backwards compatible PS3, rather than 'upgrading' to PC or 360.
The PC version (and pc based 360 version) always had delay in control, the PS2 edition always felt a lot better to play. I think it's because the PC version was sort of built as an emulator of the PS2 game. Wish the PS2 version didn't get retired honestly.

RE: input delay, I have been playing on PC for many years and haven't noticed this but I have an idea of what may be causing it.

By default FFXI menus have an animaiton (expanding/contracting animation similar to old school RPGs), likely to hide the lag/delay on older hardware and PS2. On modern systems this just gets in the way and makes navigating menus (which you will do a lot) and dialog screens feel sluggish because the animation is no longer needed to hide system lag. There is actually an option to turn this off inside the in-game configurations. If you haven't found it or if someone can't help you by end of day, I'll post the exact path to disable it in the config options.

I can't right now as I'm working.

Minthara

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
RE: input delay, I have been playing on PC for many years and haven't noticed this but I have an idea of what may be causing it.

By default FFXI menus have an animaiton (expanding/contracting animation similar to old school RPGs), likely to hide the lag/delay on older hardware and PS2. On modern systems this just gets in the way and makes navigating menus (which you will do a lot) and dialog screens feel sluggish because the animation is no longer needed to hide system lag. There is actually an option to turn this off inside the in-game configurations. If you haven't found it or if someone can't help you by end of day, I'll post the exact path to disable it in the config options.

I can't right now as I'm working.

Config > Windows > Shared > Window Effect set to Off

squall211

Jan 24, 2018
It's always driven me a little crazy that it's the only numbered FF I never completed. I tried to play it at launch way back in the day but it was just too grindy and cumbersome. Every once in a while I consider giving it a shot but I never know if it's worth it or not.

Minthara

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
It's always driven me a little crazy that it's the only numbered FF I never completed. I tried to play it at launch way back in the day but it was just too grindy and cumbersome. Every once in a while I consider giving it a shot but I never know if it's worth it or not.

Lots has changed over the years that make it way less grindy, although you will still have to plan accordingly:
1) NPCs exist now, called Trusts, that you can use to solo the story for every expansion.

2) The above comes with a slight caveat - In order to solo the entire story you may not be able to play the exact jobs you want to play and may have to play something you do not have a ton if interest in. A good example is the final mission of the final story expansion: you will likely want to be on Paladin, Ninja or Rune Fencer (I recommend this one) for that fight because you need to tank the mob facing away from the group and she has mechanics that mean you need to control her properly.

3) You may get stuck in some later missions for other expansions (that you don't need to complete to finish the "main" story of the final expansion, since finishing that story unlocks all the cutscenes of all the others) and you may need help from a friend for a couple of fights (example: you leveled the aforementioned Ninja but a NPC needs healing in one of your missions because they ran off and are trying to solo monsters by themselves). These cases are few and far between and if you head to Asura, you can easily call me in for fights like these.

4) If you login 4 unique weeks over the next 7 weeks (with week 1 ending tomorrow night) you'll get a massive bonus Exp ring, a trust that increases Exp by 10% and a piece of furniture that increases Exp by 15%. These all stack and, in addition to that final story expansion I've been mentioned, give something ridiculous like +500% Exp when everything is active. You can also get other experience rings for when your main ring is on cooldown (every 2 hours) so that the Exp never stops flowing in.

In short, if you don't rush things and properly plan things out, you can get from one end of the story to the other in less than 15 days of play hours. It took me 150 hours to finish that final story mission on my Ninja, by myself, and that was with about 20-30 hours of getting distracted doing other things. As mentioned, once that story is done you can go back and watch the cutscenes for everything else or do them all yourself :)

You also have access to advice and help here (as well as on Asura if you choose to go there) that will help speed things up a bit.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
As someone who played it near release and dropped it because it felt too grindy, it feels great now and it's easy to make a lot of progress quickly especially if you're just trying to see the story.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017

In my experience, yes, FFXI does run poorly on integrated graphics (and as was mentioned, it can only run on a single core). There's also an issue wherein FFXI, being an 18-year-old game using DX8, cannot utilize laptops' dedicated GPU by default on WIndows 10, even if you set it as such.

I was puzzled at first when I began playing it on my laptop with a RTX 2070, only to have unstable sub-30 FPS—then I found out the above. Luckily, the fix is simple. Just download the below d3d8.dll file and put it into your POL directory:

github.com

Releases · crosire/d3d8to9

A D3D8 pseudo-driver which converts API calls and bytecode shaders to equivalent D3D9 ones. - crosire/d3d8to9

(Program Files x86 -> PlayOnline -> SquareEnix -> PlayOnlineViewer)

With that done, performance should skyrocket. Would also recommend downloading Windower so that you can set your FPS to 60, rather than the default 30 cap (as well as the bevy of other useful addons it can enable).

rugioh

Dec 29, 2017
If I buy the full game for 10 dollars this weekend am I eligible for the special trusts and events that are happening, or is that for people who have already created accounts before?

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
If I buy the full game for 10 dollars this weekend am I eligible for the special trusts and events that are happening, or is that for people who have already created accounts before?
Trusts should be available to all. Some are gated behind currency so you may not be able to get them right away.

Bgwiki has a good guide on where to get them and how

"Spring Alter Ego Extravaganza Guide - BG FFXI Wiki" https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Spring_Alter_Ego_Extravaganza_Guide

Minthara

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal

Most everything will be available to you with some exceptions:
- You'll still get 2 silver vouchers per login day, but you won't be able to redeem them until you hit 99 AND your character is 45 days old
- You'll get a SP Gobbiekey every day, but you won't be able to trade them to the goblin until your character is 45 days old
- You can do Odyssey for money (not a main event right now but still worth noting) and you'll still get loot and experience points you can keep, but you can't officially finish it until your character is more than 45 days old.

That's the main restrictions on new accounts.

Oct 25, 2017
In my experience, yes, FFXI does run poorly on integrated graphics (and as was mentioned, it can only run on a single core). There's also an issue wherein FFXI, being an 18-year-old game using DX8, cannot utilize laptops' dedicated GPU by default on WIndows 10, even if you set it as such.

I was puzzled at first when I began playing it on my laptop with a RTX 2070, only to have unstable sub-30 FPS—then I found out the above. Luckily, the fix is simple. Just download the below d3d8.dll file and put it into your POL directory:

github.com

Releases · crosire/d3d8to9

A D3D8 pseudo-driver which converts API calls and bytecode shaders to equivalent D3D9 ones. - crosire/d3d8to9

(Program Files x86 -> PlayOnline -> SquareEnix -> PlayOnlineViewer)

With that done, performance should skyrocket. Would also recommend downloading Windower so that you can set your FPS to 60, rather than the default 30 cap (as well as the bevy of other useful addons it can enable).
Thanks! I'll try this when I get home.

OP
OP
Toth

Toth

Oct 26, 2017
Just a reminder that the twitch stream starts in about 30 minutes. It's a look at the game at its current state (though without all those useful windower add ons lol) so take a gander to see how the game is doing atm

www.twitch.tv

Twitch

Twitch is the world's leading video platform and community for gamers.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
This tweet made my day. FF XI & XIV gold font, {Gather Together} {Lower-Jeuno} auto-translate wording. Everything about it. The person running the twitter account played or plays FFXI.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Trying to keep up with all the new NPCs, pace of the game, and how to acquire stuff/trusts is a little overwhelming. Feel like I'm missing a bunch of stuff, but made it to level 32 with RDM so there is progress I guess.

Celestine

Oct 31, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
I don't have the time or will for 2 mmorpgs at once, but it makes me so happy people are still enjoying this game. Gave me some of the best memories of my life. Chains of Promathia/Treasures of Aht Urhgan is pure love.

Minthara

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
Trying to keep up with all the new NPCs, pace of the game, and how to acquire stuff/trusts is a little overwhelming. Feel like I'm missing a bunch of stuff, but made it to level 32 with RDM so there is progress I guess.

The game will throw a wall at you at 50, 55, 60, 65, 70, 75, 80, 85, 90 and 95 that you won't be able to move past without doing specific quests, so that's when you'll be catching up/taking breathers :)

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
I don't have the time or will for 2 mmorpgs at once, but it makes me so happy people are still enjoying this game. Gave me some of the best memories of my life. Chains of Promathia/Treasures of Aht Urhgan is pure love.

Chains in retrospect had a very typical RPG story but at the time it was magical. Difficutly progression gated areas/zones seem to enhance that feeling. Riverne , Miseraux Coast and Tavnazia Archipelago are still my favorite zones.

And what a call-back homage to the Chrono games
riverne_photo_01.jpg
riverne_photo_02.jpg

Last edited:

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Chains in retrospect had a very typical RPG story but at the time it was magical. Difficutly progression gated areas/zones seem to enhance that feeling. Riverne , Miseraux Coast and Tavnazia Archipelago are still my favorite zones.

And what a call-back homage to the Chrono games
riverne_photo_01.jpg
riverne_photo_02.jpg

WTF Leene's square?

Deleted member 4262

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Always wanted to play this during the PS2 days, but for some reason I never did. On the other hand, it prolly would have consumed my life completely lol. I gave it a shot on PC a few years ago but it hasn't aged that well.

I'd be interested in trying that mobile remake on PC though.