• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
(CNN)Jimmy Carter, the son of a Georgia peanut farmer who'd go on to be America's 39th president, turns 96 today. He's the oldest living former US president -- and he's outlived every other occupant of the Oval Office.
At 96, the Nobel Peace Prize winner remains the longest-living president in US history, surpassing George H. W. Bush, who died in 2018 at 94.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/01/us/jimmy-carter-96-birthday-trnd/index.html

JC is old enough to remember The Depression and WWII. What a life.

BebopCola

Jul 17, 2019
EDIT - of course someone already beat me to the Simpsons meme in the other thread haha

May 15, 2018
Denmark
Jimmy Carter: A Full Life
41xtnMUSfGL._SX329_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

ChaosXVI

Oct 25, 2017
To this day I wonder how different America would be had he beat Reagan in 1980. What an honorable man. Never too late to run again! :D

MisterHero

Oct 25, 2017
If I had a button that would obliterate you from the face of the Earth, I wouldn't use it. Good job Mr. Carter

Happy Birthday

RustyNails

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Was he a good one? I can't keep track of all these presidents
He was alright. He was not cutthroat enough to be in politics and got rolled in lot of things. He didn't use the 3D supermajority congress to pass huge reforms for example. But he did broker peace between warring countries of Egypt and Israel. Installed solar panels on white house roof, etc.

NihonTiger

Oct 25, 2017
Was he a good one? I can't keep track of all these presidents

He was alright as president. Rusty brings up a few points here that are worth mentioning. His post presidency is very much the standard for which presidents will be judged by, though.

It's kind of sad because Carter was way ahead of his time on energy issues and we'd be in a lot better place if some of his policies had been allowed to take root. But Reagan destroyed them all.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
It's kind of sad because Carter was way ahead of his time on energy issues and we'd be in a lot better place if some of his policies had been allowed to take root. But Reagan destroyed them all.
He was actually ahead of the curve on a lot of ideas. A lot of people at the time flipped their shit over his Crisis of Confidence speech (remembered as the Malaise speech) but he was honestly right about most of he said in it

I really recommend people give it a read/listen/watch

Obviously he still had a lot of issues as president, because (and we know this now more than ever) Washington outsiders often come with a lot of pretty big drawbacks, but he meant well, was entirely genuine about everything he did, and was utterly done dirty by this country.