• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
Happy Birthday Yuzo Koshiro!

I remember holding a tape recorder up to the TV speaker to record these tracks:

He is also the first game composer I can remember getting credit on the title screen as the composer [Revenge Of Shinobi].

I knew as the game started after seeing his credit on the title screen that I was in for an aural treat. He rarely disappoints.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sun's Resting Place
Oct 25, 2017
It really warms my heart to see how much love he's getting from y'all. He really deserves it, too, considering how hard he's worked and for how long he's been one of the greatest videogame composers of all time.

dadjumper

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
I've only recently had my first real exposure to his music since I've been playing ActRaiser for the first time but dang, I had no idea he did Etrian Odyssey too! I've been thinking about trying one of those games out, but now I definitely want to!

nenned

Oct 27, 2017
The Actraiser OST is one of my favorites of all time. The music in that game really made me understand the impact a musical score can have in a game. Happy birthday, Yuzo.

Noogy

Soloist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Colorado
Ys I & II is my favorite game of all time. And in no small part thanks to Koshiro. Absolutely iconic in my eyes.

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
Yuzo Koshiro is one of my favorite game composers, and I only really discovered him recently (ish) thanks to stuff like Etrian Odyssey, Kid Icarus Uprising, and ActRaiser on Wii Virtual Console. He's got great range and does a lot of stuff with different styles. It's awesome that he's still going strong today; EO5 has one of my favorite soundtracks this year. Happy birthday, Koshiro-san!

Actraiser - Sacrifices
Kid Icarus Uprising - Aurum Island
Etrian Odyssey V - 5th Stratum (ridiculously great)

Jimmy Wrong

Nov 20, 2017

Dude spins me right round!

I always wonder to what degree his music fuelled Sega Mania over here in europe - his Streets Of Rage I and II work hit while rave culture was still crossing over into the mainstream and helped make that old hardware seem really fresh and current. Such a great and important developer, I hope he never stops.

Nobody posted Bridge Zone yet?

zoku88

Oct 27, 2017
I like his work for 7th Dragon. The arrange album (strings + piano) is pretty good.

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
happy birthday to the GOAT!

didn't he come stateside one year for MAGfest or something like that? god, i'd travel to meet him & have him sign this SOR vinyl if he ever came back.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone who loves Tupac and loves Streets of Rage owes it to themselves to check this mash up. Its quite possibly the greatest gaming music mash up I've ever heard. Enjoy!

Oct 28, 2017
Be that as it may, you don't really have to be a gaming expert to be aware of Yuzo Koshiro's music ;-)

I digress. Instead of talking semantics, let's celebrate his music more:

Fair enough! =) will listen to them right now.

Post-Follow Up: I won't lie, those two tracks were really good.....especially the second one. It reminded me of Aphex Twin. Thanks for the links, you may have made me into a fan of Yuzo Koshiro's work.

Last edited:

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
Ys I & II is my favorite game of all time. And in no small part thanks to Koshiro. Absolutely iconic in my eyes.

Oh dang a game dev I really like also loves one of my all time favorite video games? That makes you even cooler in my book.

A bit belated on this, but I always enjoyed Koshiro's more obscure tracks. I think this is one of my favorite compositions of his, right next to The Morning Grow. Wish more people knew about it.