• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Resident-Evil-Code-Veronica__13921.1526496557.jpg

It's the 20th Anniversary of the cult classic Code Veronica for Sega Dreamcast.
For those not in the know, this is the original release of the title before Code Veronica X (An updated version of the game) was released for PS2 and DC (In Japan). The CVX version would be later playable on PS3, 360, PS4, and XB1 (Through Backwards Compatibility).

Code Veronica is often praised for it's story, music, new gameplay ideas to the classic formula, and usage of 3D graphics for the time.

What are some memories you have of Code Veronica?

tumblr_onrdyql8Vz1t66aclo1_r2_500.gif

Code Veronica Japan Exclusive Console
dims

Last edited:

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
While this is my least favorite mainline Resident Evil game, it's not because I hate it. I actually really love a lot of things about it, such as the setting, the music, I love the villains, and many of the monsters are creative... Just it has a lot of game design flaws and issues that hold it back for me. I really hope a remake for the game gets made, I think that Code Veronica reimagined has a ton of potential to be amazing.

Can't talk about Code Veronica without bringing up it's amazing OST.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Bad game but I bought the Japanese CE for that sweet case.

miserable

Oct 27, 2017
Fantastic game. My most vivid memory of it is that I had to restart the game when I got to the Tyrant fight on the plane because I didn't have enough ammo.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Going in to post more music, because Code Veronica's OST really is amazing.

cvxfreak

DINO CRISIS SUX
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Fantastic, deep and pivotal experience for the RE series. I don't think I'd have gotten into RE quite like I have if I hadn't begun with CV. The game pulled me into the franchise and I never looked back.

KDash

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
While I had played demos of Resident Evil 2 (on PC) and 3 (PlayStation demo disc included with Dino Crisis), this was the first Resident Evil game I actually got. I got it in early 2000 on Dreamcast. Still have that copy. Later that year I got 2 and 3's Dreamcast ports, and Resident Evil: Director's Cut on PlayStation.

I remember downloading a complete save file after a while because I couldn't get past the first disc, so I replayed it with an infinite ammo magnum or something. Heh. I also remember playing the battle mode like crazy.

I should replay it. I don't think I've played through the whole thing since 2000. I think I'd just play part of it, or just play the battle mode for a good while. I could be wrong though. But I got really into extreme sports games, so I spent a lot of my time in the early 2000s playing those.

Oct 30, 2017
I remember when it was released and how shocked I was by the graphics, to go from RE3 to THIS is still one of the biggest graphically moment jumps for me.

I was so obsessed with it I even borrowing the walkthrough from a friend at school to look at the pictures before even playing the game.

So happy RE that I loved is back now :"-)

Still can't believe they went back to the roots again after more than a decade of abandoning it.

Gambit

Oct 27, 2017
Loved it then, replayed it last year and ... still love it!

The setting, the sibling vs sibling plot, the atmosphere, the difficulty...

I really hope Capcom don't stop remakes after 3 because Code Veronica could be a fantastic remake. Also, I just like it a lot more than Nemesis.

YolkFolk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The North, England
Fantastic, deep and pivotal experience for the RE series. I don't think I'd have gotten into RE quite like I have if I hadn't begun with CV. The game pulled me into the franchise and I never looked back.

I guess it was pivotal in that it started the rot and created the first rumblings that the series needed to move in a new direction.

Though if you hadnt played the other game's before it then it would be a nicer experience.

cvxfreak

DINO CRISIS SUX
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
I guess it was pivotal in that it started the rot and created the first rumblings that the series needed to move in a new direction.

Though if you hadnt played the other game's before it then it would be a nicer experience.

I don't remember that specific discourse taking place in any traceable fashion until RE0. Did any of the major reviews back in the day address this at all? It has a 9.5 on GameSpot and a 9.2 on IGN, for instance and neither review seems to address that RE "needed to move in a new direction."

Not saying criticisms against CV aren't warranted, but I feel like there's a least a little bit of historical revisionism at work here.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
I super want a remake of this, following right on from RE2. It's the perfect candidate - important to the canon, filled with great concepts and solid bones, but in need of better execution.

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Oh I loved it. I got the Japanese import and beat the game but the 2nd attempt I just remember running out of ammo.

MonsterJail

Self requested temp ban
Banned
Feb 27, 2018
Was the first RE game I got myself on day 1 (Even though I dropped and broke the extremely flimsy Dreamcast case on that first day) Enjoyed it enough, but felt like a step back from Resident Evil 3 in a lot of ways. First person mode was a fun bonus though

Feels like it could really shine if it had a remake, most of my memories of the game were of very flat looking corridors

ThereAre4Lights

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I bought it at launch 20 years ago. I remember being blown away by the graphics at the time and the panning of the camera as Claire ran down a hallway. I still have the game in a box somewhere.

It's a shame that DC controller was such garbage, it hurt my thumb so much.

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
I don't remember that specific discourse taking place in any traceable fashion until RE0. Did any of the major reviews back in the day address this at all? It has a 9.5 on GameSpot and a 9.2 on IGN, for instance and neither review seems to address that RE "needed to move in a new direction."

Not saying criticisms against CV aren't warranted, but I feel like there's a least a little bit of historical revisionism at work here.

At the time I remember it being hailed as the true sequel RE deserved to 2, whereas 3 got a bit dragged as an unambitious spinoff. Zero is the game I remember starting the "RE needs to evolve" discourse.

Anyway, I still have my Umbrella t-shirt I got with the PS2 CVX preorder. Love that damn thing, even if it's shitty material.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
It's the only mainline RE game I never finished. I saved before a boss fight and didn't have enough ammo to kill it, and it wasn't possible to backtrack and find more so I ended up dropping the game and never went back to it.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Game gets a lot of shit but I really enjoyed it. Steve is dumb but not a bad character once you get used to him and the Ashfords (especially Alfred) are great villains. OST was god tier too. Hope it gets remade after 3.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Awesome game (despite the head shots being less satisfying than past games). As someone disappointed in RE3, it felt like a step back to what I loved about the series. And it looked so good with my new VGA adapter. It's surprising to me that so many dislike RE:CV now. That wasn't the impression on message boards at the time, in my experience.

Hagi

Oct 25, 2017
What's the best way to play this outside of the PS3/360 port? Would quite like to play 2, 3 and this before the remake of 3 comes out. Was going to play 2 and 3 on dolphin.

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't get to play it until CVX on PS2 in September 2001. But what a great package that was: this bloated, overlong Resident Evil, Wesker's Report, and a demo for DMC.

I remember it being the first PS2 game I got since launch to really feel like the system was worth it—most of the first year had been spent playing Dino Crisis 2 and FFIX. And it came right at the start of the legendary holiday 2001, basically starting the deluge of great games that kept up right until the PS2's final days. I'll always have a soft spot for this one.

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
I'm long overdue for a replay of this (I think the last time I played through it was 2007). It may be on my October games list for this year.

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
20 years?! The reason I bought a DC. The game that I was so hyped for because of the return of my favorite villain Wesker. The graphics were mindblowing for the time. The music is the best in the series. It was the longest and most epic feeling game in the series up to that point. Kind of took everything they learned from RE1 and 2 and tried to make a mix of the two (sadly didn't include the RE3 enhancements), before REmake it felt like the ultimate survival horror challenge. An all time classic.

Yep this whole idea that CV is poor or even worse than RE3 is pure revisionist history. At launch CV was one of the highest rated games of the year, of all time almost. Critics raved, gamers seemed to have loved it. Easily one of the best responses to a RE game and a come back after what many viewed as a quick sequel in RE3 that didn't hold the gravitas of RE2.

Hayeya

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
Played the X version on PS2 and loved it.
Still dont understand the hate it gets, it was classic resident evil.

dedge

Sep 15, 2019
What's the best way to play this outside of the PS3/360 port? Would quite like to play 2, 3 and this before the remake of 3 comes out. Was going to play 2 and 3 on dolphin.
I mean if you're playing 2 and 3 on Dolphin I would just play the GameCube version on it as well.