• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ChaosXVI

Oct 25, 2017
Still the best Mario game ever made to me. Yes it's iterative of Galaxy 1, but it's level design and overall vibe is too perfect. Not a dud level in the entire game. It's about as close to perfect as a modern game could possibly be, and it's my game of the 7th generation, as well as my game of the decade.

Oct 27, 2017
I want to replay both Galaxy games so badly but I'm holding out for that rumoured HD remake.

If we don't hear something soon I might just have to dive back in anyway.

Santerestil

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
10 years..
Screenshot_2019-07-01-Jasmine-on-Twitter-613x395.png
The fact that Nintendo themselves continued with the 3D World/Odissey philosophy instead of a Galaxy 3 is their implicit admission they created a game so perfect they aren't capable to superate anymore.

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Yeah.... what I wouldn't give to be 10 years younger....

Still though, I'm not sure if I prefer this over the original or if I like Galaxy 1 more... but both should be on that 3D Mario collection.

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
www.resetera.com

Happy 10th anniversary Super Mario Galaxy 2!

Initially released May 23rd, 2010 in the US first, Galaxy 2 is now a decade old! Time flies! This was the first time I was ever truly hyped for a game. Galaxy 1 meant so much to me as a kid, so it was surreal that they actually made a sequel to me. Thus, I’ll always remember this date without...

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I prefer 1, but 2 is an absolutely great game. It feels just like yesterday I was waiting outside of a GameStop on a Sunday morning for it, just me and some little kid with his mom.

Molten_

Oct 28, 2017
one of the greatest games ever made... the sheer variety and scope of the game is something the mario series is still trying to live up to.

edit: also I want to take this time to post the best song in the entire mario series

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
1 had the better music and the wow factor of being first, but overall I thought 2 was the better game. The pair of them are just a one-two punch marvel in the Mario series.

Christo750

May 10, 2018
Ooooh man, let's see:

-The best Mario game ever made
-One of the best video game soundtracks of all time.
-Best level design, period.
-Easily the best 3D Platformer ever.
-EASILY the best Wii game.
-Top 5 best Nintendo games of all time.
-Top 5 best video games of all time.

If Galaxy 2's levels had Galaxy 1's hub world, there wouldn't ever be another Mario game that could ever touch it.

AndreGX

GameXplain
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
San Francisco
1 had the better music and the wow factor of being first, but overall I thought 2 was the better game. The pair of them are just a one-two punch marvel in the Mario series.

Exactly this. I equate it to Portal 1 and 2. 1 had the WOW factor, but the sequels build upon them in nearly every meaningful way.

Plus this might be the damn most joyful track Nintendo has ever produced

A_Jazzy_Book

Oct 27, 2017
10 years......damnit clock, slow your roll.

Pure, unadulterated platforming bliss. Never thought they'd improve on an already badass original. Still remains as my top 3D Mario alongside Odyssey. The game just kinda emphasizes the feeling of absolute joy the franchise represents. What I love the most about it, besides the levels themselves, is the increased sense of variety in many aspects, especially in the visuals and music. What it lacked in the amount of spacey backgrounds, it made up for by making the ones it had more visually interesting. Like you had solar systems, nebulas, black holes, and clusters to name some.

Pleeeeease be in the collection.

Last edited:

Banana Ocelot

Dec 12, 2019
I wasn't big on the level select screen in Galaxy 2 compared to Galaxy 1's semi-open observatory, but the game as a whole is still a fantastic experience. Here's hoping we can play it again on new hardware.

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think I prefer the original Galaxy as an overall experience, but Galaxy 2 is definitely phenomenal plus it kind of holds a special place in my gaming memory considering it came out shortly after I was diagnosed with a nearly life-changing chronic illness, and helped me get through a rough summer.

Tuck

Oct 25, 2017
I love how they implemented yoshi in this one. The yoshi segments were a lot of fun.

AndreGX

GameXplain
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
San Francisco
I love how they implemented yoshi in this one. The yoshi segments were a lot of fun.

Yoshi's use of the Wii Pointer was nothing short of brilliant and is probably one of the best uses for it. It kind of sucks that if there is a remaster, Yoshi's controls would have to be compromised

The motion control galaxies are part of the main game. And this is just off the top of my head, most galaxies have multiple stars and I don't think all of them were great.

True, but some were amazing

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
The motion control galaxies are part of the main game. And this is just off the top of my head, most galaxies have multiple stars and I don't think all of them were great.
You're not helping your initial argument. If I ever call something filler in a game, I always make it point that I'm not just calling it that because I don't like it.

Deleted member 59109

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 8, 2019
You're not helping your initial argument. If I ever call something filler in a game, I always make it point that I'm not just calling it that because I don't like it.

I think it's fair to call the motion control galaxies filler, they're really gimmicky and not fun to control. And I think multiple stars for each galaxy can feel like filler, that's a lot of stars and some are better than others. This isn't even getting into the green stars which are a pretty tedious way to unlock the final level.

Oct 25, 2017
It's so conventional to talk about Galaxy 1 as the generation's revolutionary moment at the point of impact—and Galaxy 2 as the perfect, incremental refinement that finished Galaxy 1's sentences—that I think it's easy to lose sight of just how much about Galaxy 2 was equally novel. It arguably dialled back a lot of SMG1's gravity-related innovations—it was less exclusively focused on being about the Little Prince planetoid concept—but that just made it a summation of what the entire 3D series brought to the table by that point in the series' design history.

I will always, always be grateful for Galaxy 2 for introducing, with Grandmaster Galaxy and The Perfect Run, the idea that 3D Mario (and later, Captain Toad) should conclude with an unforgettable crescendo, a "final exam" level that brings everything you've learnt up to that point to a satisfying, chunky finish. This is the main thing I look forward to with every 3D Mario game now, and it was with Galaxy 2 that it began.

Also, everyone knows Gusty Garden as SMG1's towering instant classic in the repertoire of Mario music—but we all too easily overlook its stupendous younger sibling, the soaring melody of Cloudy Court:

I cannot wait to replay this game. I haven't revisited it fully since 2010, as my copy is with a family member and my Wii and Wii U are not on hand, and I've been longing to experience it all the way through again. After Galaxy 1, one could say, there are so many ideas here bursting at the seams that of course we all want more. After Galaxy 2, one said, where can you even go from here?