• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

There have been rumors about what The Simpsons would do about Apu, but none were substantiated. Producer Adi Shankar said sources told him the show would phase out Apu, but showrunner Jean denied that. Groening told /Film Azaria never mentioned wanting to stop doing the caricature voice while he was promoting his Netflix series Disenchantment. However, Azaria has confirmed he will not do the voice anymore.

"All we know there is I won't be doing the voice anymore, unless there's someway to transition it or something," Azaria said.

"What they're going to do with the character is their call," Azaria said. "It's up to them and they haven't sorted it out yet. All we've agreed on is I won't do the voice anymore."

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I haven't followed, was there something new going on with this? Or was it the always existent issues with the character?

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
sound like there's a chance they might replace the voice?

SoleSurvivor

Oct 27, 2017
Why take offense at just Apu? If Apu alone is such an issue, they should just cancel the show. So many of their characters are portrayed as stereotypes.

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
Why take offense at just Apu? If Apu alone is such an issue, they should just cancel the show. So many of their characters are portrayed as stereotypes.
because it was pointed out in a pretty detailed and honest way in a movie, and that attention hurt the character specifically

i fell like they might cast an Indian voice actor in the role

Oct 25, 2017
So either Apu is getting written out or he's getting a new voice.

But who even cares at this point... calling the show a shambling zombie is an insult to shambling zombies.

The right move would be a reboot with a fresh cast. At least recast Marge since it's clear Julie Kavner can't do it anymore.

I used to watch the show when I was younger but stopped. Why does everyone want the show to end? I have no opinion just wondering. Someone catch me up?

Intense seasonal rot.
The brilliant writing of the early seasons are gone.
A big reason The Simpsons was so successful was that there was nothing like it on TV. Now everybody is doing the same thing The Simpsons are doing, and it just drags itself through the motions.
Nothing can change.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Why do people want the show canceled? I certainly don't watch it anymore, but what does it matter to me? If people are still watching and enjoying The Simpsons, why take it away from them?

StarsTurnCold

Avenger
Apr 30, 2018

I believe part of it is because Indians barely get any representation in media and Apu is probably the biggest one. Not exactly a role model. Yeah there's tons of other stereotypes on the show but they're not minority groups that barely get representation elsewhere.

Plus the whole being voiced by a white guy.

tsampikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The race, name, and accent was chosen explicitly as a joke. The original character was just a cashier and nothing else. There was no part about the creation that wasn't racist and it shaped peoples perception of Hindu people in a formative time when TV had no other.

Also whataboutism isn't a rebuttal.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I used to watch the show when I was younger but stopped. Why does everyone want the show to end? I have no opinion just wondering. Someone catch me up?
95% of the people who are calling for it to end haven't actually seen an episode in the past ten years. Not only do they have no stakes in it at all, they also don't really have any idea how good or bad the show actually is.

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
The right move would be a reboot with a fresh cast. At least recast Marge since it's clear Julie Kavner can't do it anymore.
To be honest, I absolutely hate The Simpsons as it is now. I've watched when 'it's got good again' several times now, including with the latest season.

But a reboot of The Simpson's I really doubt would work. If it's not complete counter-culture parody then the fans of early simpsons won't pay mind, and turning it into something new will just drive away those who stick to the show for consistency now.

Alavard

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
As soon as the controversy came up a few years ago, they should have used the opportunity to transition Apu to a new voice (which would be by an Indian voice actor). They could have easily had a storyline in which Apu admits he's been faking that accent all these years because he thought it was expected of him, to act in such a stereotypical way. He started doing it and it became harder and harder to stop, but now he realizes he needs to change it, as he has to be true to himself. It would be a perfect metaphor in storyline for the actual real-world situation.

Oct 25, 2017
To be honest, I absolutely hate The Simpsons as it is now. I've watched when 'it's got good again' several times now, including with the latest season.

But a reboot of The Simpson's I really doubt would work. If it's not complete counter-culture parody then the fans of early simpsons won't pay mind, and turning it into something new will just drive away those who stick to the show for consistency now.

Yeah, that's the conundrum. It's hard to do a counter-culture show these days since TV is no longer going to do that. You gotta go to the internet.

I don't watch the show, but I read that they stopped writing Apu into episodes years ago, even before the "The Problem with Apu" brought attention to it.

His last major episode was 2016 (Much Apu About Something). The Problem with Apu came out 2017.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
They don't need to, the show is still good.

It's good in the sense that The Goldbergs is good. A 7/10 show that gets a laugh out of me now and then. It won't go down as an all-time classic, but good enough to watch with dinner.

I'm not really interested in 7/10 Simpsons. And that's being generous from the handful of new episodes I check out every season.

Lupercal

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
At this point just end the Simpsons and reboot it with all characters 8-10 years older.
It's been stale for 10+ years.

Corrie1960

Banned
Mar 19, 2019
User Banned (2 Weeks): Dismissive Drive-By Posting
This is so stupid there was nothing wrong with Apu