• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
8.6/10 on IMDB

I started watching it a couple weeks ago and have burned through 26 episodes already.

Anyone else watching/enjoying it? Not sure what I want to discuss about it, but I'm curious as to if others like it. I was a little unsure in the first few episodes, but when it hooked me I've not looked back. Never watched anything like this before, and I've enjoyed every crazy second of it.

Trailer without English subtitles. The show has English ones on Netflix, but I hate spoilers.

Edit**

So I'm looking into it more and I see a review that says this..

" This Series beautifully renders Tony Wong from JadeMan Comic's Force of Buddha's Palm. The series follows the comics events very closely and i am now able to relive this exciting Tale with way more visual depth than i did when i first read the comics back in the 1980's. I was not aware this tale had already been made into several live action movies and TV series. Or if Tony Wong was the original author of the Tale. Awesome congratulations to the creators and Netflix where i found this. "

Last edited:

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
73d8177845eabbf1bddcfa047bf9.jpg

Title made me think of this

OP
OP
Landy828

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
73d8177845eabbf1bddcfa047bf9.jpg

Title made me think of this
Made me think of this:
VXOIEeW.png

Haha, I asked for a slight title change.

The name of the show doesn't allude to what it is AT ALL. I skipped it myself a few times, then started it out of curiosity.

It's an absolute blast of crazy Martial Arts stuff.

It's live action Thunderbolt Fantasy haha.

I don't know what that is, so I'll look it up. šŸ˜„

OP
OP
Landy828

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC

Apparently an 8.6/10 on IMDB

" This Series beautifully renders Tony Wong from JadeMan Comic's Force of Buddha's Palm. The series follows the comics events very closely and i am now able to relive this exciting Tale with way more visual depth than i did when i first read the comics back in the 1980's. I was not aware this tale had already been made into several live action movies and TV series. Or if Tony Wong was the original author of the Tale. Awesome congratulations to the creators and Netflix where i found this. "

golem

Oct 25, 2017
Havent watched a cdrama in a while, maybe will give it a shot.. how many eps are there?

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Haha, I asked for a slight title change.

The name of the show doesn't allude to what it is AT ALL. I skipped it myself a few times, then started it out of curiosity.

It's an absolute blast of crazy Martial Arts stuff.

I don't know what that is, so I'll look it up. šŸ˜„

tenor.gif

pN3RQCB.gif

The best puppet show you'll see.

OP
OP
Landy828

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
Apparently an 8.6/10 on IMDB

This needs to be added to the OP I think. I randomly had a bunch of the JadeMan Comic's as a kid and they were absolutely nuts. Oriental Heroes, Blood Sword, Blood Sword Dynasty, and Force of Buddha's Palm were some of the coolest unknown comics I'd ever seen. Oriental Heroes was previously adapted into Dragon Tiger Gate (starring Donnie Yen) but I had no idea that another adaptation of a JadeMan comic had been made.

For any who aren't familiar... The JadeMan comics were Chinese Martial Arts comics. If I had to compare them to something, they'd be similar to say... Naruto or Dragon Ball in terms of special attacks/powers but they have adult characters instead of kids/teens.

OP
OP
Landy828

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
This needs to be added to the OP I think. I randomly had a bunch of the JadeMan Comic's as a kid and they were absolutely nuts. Oriental Heroes, Blood Sword, Blood Sword Dynasty, and Force of Buddha's Palm were some of the coolest unknown comics I'd ever seen. Oriental Heroes was previously adapted into Dragon Tiger Gate (starring Donnie Yen) but I had no idea that another adaptation of a JadeMan comic had been made.

For any who aren't familiar... The JadeMan comics were Chinese Martial Arts comics. If I had to compare them to something, they'd be similar to say... Naruto or Dragon Ball in terms of special attacks/powers but they have adult characters instead of kids/teens.

I added it. šŸ‘

Last edited:

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
Popped up on my netflix, had no clue what it was and ended up watching all 44 episodes...

Normally not my type of show, but I loved it. Anything else out there that is similar on Netflix?

basic_element

Oct 25, 2017
Oh wow, thanks OP. Force of Buddha's Palm was my favorite comic when I was a kid. I will definitely watch this.

basic_element

Oct 25, 2017
Ok so I watched the first episode and am slightly disappointed because I thought this was based on force of Buddha's palm but it's actually just based on Gu Longs novel, Juedai Shuangjiao. Which Buddha's palm is also based off of. So the plot is the same but my favorite character in the comic is Nine Continents who uses a shalion like martial arts based in Buddha's powers. This drama series, the character is based off the novel as Yan Nantian and is nothing like Nine Continents. Oh well, I think I will still watch it.

Typhoon20

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
AAaaaawwwww F !

I love martial arts films..but CANNOT STAND WIREWORKS. Watching the trailer I was hoping it would be more practical effects and less wires. Ah well.

ccbfan

Oct 25, 2017
Wait is this a remake of the old tvb classic with tony leung.

That is a terrible title

t26

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
8.6/10 on IMDB

I started watching it a couple weeks ago and have burned through 26 episodes already.

Anyone else watching/enjoying it? Not sure what I want to discuss about it, but I'm curious as to if others like it. I was a little unsure in the first few episodes, but when it hooked me I've not looked back. Never watched anything like this before, and I've enjoyed every crazy second of it.

Trailer without English subtitles. The show has English ones on Netflix, but I hate spoilers.

Edit**

OP this is incorrect. It is not based on the comic, but the novel Juedai Shuangjiao

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I didn't know this is based on that story, I love the comic adaptation when I was younger. Anyway, the title give me hope that this adaptation will stay focused on the sibling. I love the comic until it went on too long and focus more on their uncle rather than the sibling.

basic_element

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't know this is based on that story, I love the comic adaptation when I was younger. Anyway, the title give me hope that this adaptation will stay focused on the sibling. I love the comic until it went on too long and focus more on their uncle rather than the sibling.
But the uncle (Nine Continents) is the best character in the story.

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
I skipped over it because it looked like the typical overly dramatic soap opera that Netflix produces. Given that you binged it OP, I MIGHT check it out.

Wuxia has always kinda bored me tbh.

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
i just can't get into new wuxias with all the cg shit
for chinese dramas wartime political or imperial political dramas are generally better

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
i just can't get into new wuxias with all the cg shit
for chinese dramas wartime political or imperial political dramas are generally better

Aren't most of their wartime political dramas propaganda? My father started sprouting some rubbish, like how the KMT were working with the Japanese during WW2 and how the CCP were the ones who were fighting against the KMT because they collided with the Japanese. I asked him where he got this info from because it sounds totally wrong. He sheepishly admitted it was from these kind of dramasšŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø and I had to tell him that maybe he should watch other things instead.

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
i didn't mean ww2 period wartime, personally never watched those
i meant more like the 3 kingdoms era, or other fictional wartime period dramas

Zhengi

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I've seen this on Netflix while browsing, but I've skipped it as I've seen the Hong Kong version back in the 2000s, I think. Maybe I'll catch this new version when I have time.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
wow Netflix has Ice Fantasy, that shit always looked epic. I need to check it out

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Apparently there has been a sudden surge in shows like this on Netflix. I saw some other new ones pop up, that weren't there before. This is a whole new "genre" for me, so I'm going to try others after I finish this series.
I wish Japan wasn't so weird with their live action shows so we could get more in the west.

darkwing

Oct 25, 2017
I'm only in episode 5 but the stories are getting intense, it's like a roller coaster, what the.......................

B.O.O.M.

Oct 25, 2017
Duude...this is fucking awesome. Started watching thinking it will be so bad it will be funny ..but burned through 30 episodes already