• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
While I've always loved trying out the latest games with the craziest tech and genre-pushing mechanics, there's just something about handheld gaming that's incredibly appealing to me. The idea of getting a full game in such a small device simply has a "comfy" feel to it, even if it usually meant dealing with heavily outdated graphics and gameplay. So this is a thread to simply show appreciation for dedicated handhelds (or non-dedicated too, if you own a Nomad or a Switch lol).

Like many, I started out with a GBA. I was lucky to get one near launch thanks to my uncle who usually travelled to the US... but that also meant I barely ever got any games to it. Still enjoyed my time with Pokemon Ruby and Sonic Advance, but I never got anywhere close to exploring the GBA's catalogue (even today, I still haven't played Super Circuit!)

Since then, I've managed to get quite a few handheld systems thankfully. The PSP, DS Lite / i XL, 3DS; still missing a Vita and now the Switch Lite but I do intend to get around getting both some day. Many of the best games of all time have been exclusive to handhelds at one point (PLAY RADIANT HISTORIA, no fucking excuse), and while I like them coming out on home consoles for better quality or whatever, there's just something about playing them on the little machines they were designed in mind with is great. So, Era, do you like handhelds? What's your favorite handheld console and games?

FatalT

Feb 24, 2019
The Gameboy Advance was my favorite handheld but the Nintendo DS comes in close second. I liked the PSP because of what all you could do with it but eh, the GBA and it's library holds a place in my heart. Currently I'm happy with how the Switch can be both docked and a portable handheld though, however the battery life doesn't hold a candle to how long a DS could last. I know there's external battery packs you can buy but just "out of the box" it's not as long-lasting as a DS or 3DS. The library and graphics are obviously better though! I just miss the shenanigans game had you doing with the touch screen and the dual screens of the DS. The 3DS didn't seem to take advantage of the touch screen like the DS did. Kirby Canvas Curse was amazing and holding the DS like a book, sideways, to play/read Hotel Dusk was amazing.

OP
OP
Lant_War

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
The Gameboy Advance was my favorite handheld but the Nintendo DS comes in close second. I liked the PSP because of what all you could do with it but eh, the GBA and it's library holds a place in my heart. Currently I'm happy with how the Switch can be both docked and a portable handheld though, however the battery life doesn't hold a candle to how long a DS could last. I know there's external battery packs you can buy but just "out of the box" it's not as long-lasting as a DS or 3DS. The library and graphics are obviously better though! I just miss the shenanigans game had you doing with the touch screen and the dual screens of the DS. The 3DS didn't seem to take advantage of the touch screen like the DS did. Kirby Canvas Curse was amazing and holding the DS like a book, sideways, to play/read Hotel Dusk was amazing.
The dual screen form factor is simply perfect for handhelds. Great way to reduce UI clutter in the games.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
Easily the Gizmondo for Sticky Balls

Seriously though, PSP. Jeanne Darc, Ridge Racer, Gurumin, Gripshift, Daxter....

FatalT

Feb 24, 2019
The dual screen form factor is simply perfect for handhelds. Great way to reduce UI clutter in the games.

EXACTLY! Compare the Switch or Mobile phone version of The World Ends With You to the Nintendo DS version of the game. I feel like its "soul" was removed with the removal of the second screen and all the gameplay interactions that were involved with it.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Vita and Persona 4 Golden is my fav of all time

Ive also pretty much bought all Nintendo handhelds ever just for Pokemon

Oct 28, 2017
Imagine saying handhelds are awesome then saying you're missing the Vita. You don't even know how awesome a handheld can really be.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
I still use my Nvidia Shield Portable. It's amazing as an emulation device after you mod out the shitty dpad.

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
Okay, no seriously, the DS Lite is the best handheld of all time.

It improved upon the original in every conceivable way. It retained GBA back compat, had a beautiful form factor, insane battery life, improved screen, and most notably, a very excellent library of games. A lot of games that used the DS's functionality in creative ways as well.

Switch, with it's new revision that makes the battery life actually quite decent, slides into second place. It has a great library as well, probably already better than the DS's. But that small, dual-screen clamshell form factor is the untouchable.

AimLow

Dec 10, 2017
PSP had some great gaming experiences for me (man, I miss that console). Never owned a Vita, but it's a shame it didn't stick around. Hopefully Sony will try again someday.

I got into the 2DS/3DS life cycle far too late, sadly, so it's currently collecting dust. Who knows, maybe I'll find a game that will capture my interest enough to fire it back up.

I just picked up a Switch recently. The only game I have for it currently is Minecraft, but I am enjoying it (the Switch) so far. I'm looking to pick up some more titles for it, but haven't really settled on anything yet.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I've always loved handhelds from the moment I got my fat OG GameBoy.

Such a wondrous thing for a kid at that time, to have an entire gaming ecosystem in your backpack at all times.

The GBA was next level after that - I remember being in my room playing Metroid Fusion and having so much dread evoked from such a small device.

Even in college we all had DS Lites and played so much Tetris together.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Okay, no seriously, the DS Lite is the best handheld of all time.

It improved upon the original in every conceivable way. It retained GBA back compat, had a beautiful form factor, insane battery life, improved screen, and most notably, a very excellent library of games. A lot of games that used the DS's functionality in creative ways as well.

Switch, with it's new revision that makes the battery life actually quite decent, slides into second place. It has a great library as well, probably already better than the DS's. But that small, dual-screen clamshell form factor is the untouchable.

I still maintain that the Metallic Red DS Lite is by far the best looking handheld of all time:

41C6c0xIB8L.jpg

Just look at it! It's design perfection and literally nothing before or since has reached that level of aesthetic mastery.

...just wish I hadn't sold mine :(

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I don't have a Wonderswan, but for some reason I want a Wonderswan. Maybe someday I'll get a Wonderswan.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
I love handhelds. I remember wanting a Gameboy so bad. Also remember using my best friend's Game Gear and loving that thing. Also used his Gameboy Advance, though I didn't care as much about that.

Got my start late, buying the DS at launch with my final paycheck from McDonalds when I was probably 16 years old. Loved that thing. Took it to school all the time and played Metroid Prime Hunters with other people from school.

A while later, I bought a PSP-2000, and I remember being utterly amazed at the technology. The games I had the fondest memories of were Daxter and Rock Band Unplugged. I have no idea what happened to my PSP. I just can't remember.

Bought the 3DS in late 2011 and hated it. I loved Super Mario 3D Land but the system had terrible ergonomics, bad dpad and control pad, and the 3D was so finnicky.

I got the PS Vita at launch in Feb 2012 (the Early Edition Bundle) and it's one of my favorite systems of all time. I loved that system and bought over 100 games in the first couple of years. It's what got me into indies. Remember Mutant Blobs Attack? Man, I loved that game. We had a great Vita community on GAF, too.

Got the Switch at launch and loved it, though as a handheld it left a lot to be desired. The OS features paled in comparison to Vita, and it felt way less solid. Was also heavy and too big.

Bought the Switch Lite at launch and I think it's pretty much a perfect handheld. Has a few more OS features now, though still terrible compared to Vita, and it feels very solid and light. The controls are great, it has a good dpad, and it has a wonderful screen. I really love the thing. Best handheld of all time, IMO. Just wish it had some of the features Vita did, like really intuitive cloud saves across all games, Party chat, messaging system, etc.

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
the Switch was what I wanted when NX rumors were going around before the device released so I love it and probably also my platform with my biggest library (besides PC).

Deleted member 4262

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I love 'em, especially the DS, Vita and PSP. I currently own 57 DS games and I buy new stuff every month, but I don't consider myself a collector or anything. I only buy games I want to actually play, like FF: 4 Heroes of Light which I picked up on Friday.

Got about 30+ games for the 3DS as well, but I never liked the hardware much. Those screens look like shit compared to the DSi XL.

As for the GBA, I only have like 3 games for it (Pokemon Ruby, Zelda and FFTA) and I play them on a DS Lite. It's something I want to explore a bit more in the future.

Oct 27, 2017
Ireland
I love my DS Lite, 2DS XL, PSP and PS Vita. I regret only getting into gaming with the DS Lite and not buying a GBA and a bunch of GBA games.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
The first handheld I bought for myself was a GBA SP with Metroid Fusion. Before that I would just borrow a GB or GBC from friends/family when they'd let me. I've since bought newer and older handhelds and a bunch of games over the years.

This post from another thread belongs in here. lol

*looks at collection*

jooraGB.jpg

Luke88

One Winged Slayer
Dec 29, 2018
Italy
GBA is a super underrated system, on only one platform we got the birth of Ace Attorney, Advance Wars, Pokémon Emerald (GOAT) and Metroid Zero Mission

DrHercouet

May 25, 2018
France
Back in the 90s / early 00s, before the smartphones, handhelds meant freedom to play video games in your bedroom and that was a pretty big deal (if you weren't the kid who had a TV in the bedroom, obviously) (*THAT* kid was not that frequent back then). And still today, there's no way I'm gonna trade my Vita, or my N3DS, or my PSP Go or my GP32 for a PS4 or a Xbox One. That's not happening. Handheld means freedom, and sure, freedom came at the cost of not having prettier, cutting-edge game.

But no graphics, no ray-tracing, no new shiny polygons can beat the sheer bliss of playing video games while pooping.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think this is true. Someone with a Switch buying a Vita in 2019 isn't gonna go "Wow, this is how awesome a handheld can be!"
This is true. But it IS nice having modern console features like party chat, text/screenshot/voice messaging with single person or a group, cloud saves across every game, etc.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
That's a testament to how great Vita was. So many awesome games for years despite Sony's best efforts to kill it early.

Actually, it is better that they abandoned it, otherwise it wouldn't have turned into a small house for indies and small Japanese companies, it helped them enjoy success on the platform and they had it all for themselves :P

Vita was more enjoyable than PSP to me and I'm trying to collect some VNs for it, but it was not as enjoyable as a Nintendo handheld, nothing to me beats playing games like NSMB, MK, Donkey Kong, 2D Zelda, Metroid, and Fire Emblem on the go.

Switch is the best of both worlds though, it has everything that a Nintendo and a Sony handheld usually have in terms of content, looking and playing better than ever.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Essentially a Nintendo thread.

I've owned every Nintendo handheld and its been a great ride. So many classics over the years.

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
I tolerate their existence. They are hand cramp machines with interesting exclusives. That said, I own several and I think the Vita is probably the best portable kit ever made.

zW8btptm.jpg

joora

Oct 21, 2019
The first handheld I bought for myself was a GBA SP with Metroid Fusion. Before that I would just borrow a GB or GBC from friends/family when they'd let me. I've since bought newer and older handhelds and a bunch of games over the years.

This post from another thread belongs in here. lol

Thanks for sharing my humble collection. The original Game Boy (DMG-01) was the first gaming device in our household and I spent some great time playing on that eyesight killing screen.
I have some other stuff that might be interesting, will see if I find the time to dug it up and take some photos over the next few days.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty sure most people will agree that GBA is an amazing system. One of the best handhelds of all time.

It's great but no original Mario game is a huge blow against it, and Mario Kart Super Circuit kinda blows. I think the 3DS is a lot better despite being much less successful overall.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
It's great but no original Mario game is a huge blow against it, and Mario Kart Super Circuit kinda blows. I think the 3DS is a lot better despite being much less successful overall.

It's got Mario vs DK and it started the Mario & Luigi series. Also Wario Land 4. That makes up for no new 2D Mario mainline game. Also Super Circuit has since been far surpassed but it was a pretty good Mario Kart game back when it was released. In the top 3 even!

Also the 3DS has sold 75 million systems so far and it's still selling so it's actually in the same ballpark as GBA with 81 million systems.

They're even closer in games, 380 million for 3DS and 377 million for GBA.

Sep 15, 2019
I started all the way back on the original Gameboy but I'd have to say my all time favorite handheld has to be the Gameboy Advance.

The thing was like having a portable Super Nintendo in my pocket plus a metric ass ton of original games which had a bunch of great games in their own right. Franchises I adored got entries after long hiatuses like Metroid and F-Zero while new franchises won me over like Advance Wars.

When the SP arrived it only got better and combo that up with the Gamecube connectivity it felt like the uses for it were endless. From playing with friends on Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles to getting NES games from Animal Crossing I always had something to do with my Gameboy Advance even when I had vastly superior platforms to play.

Still love the Switch but I've got too many fond memories of playing the Gameboy Advance like sitting in the back of my Business Law class tricking my teacher into thinking I was playing a game or something by propping my book up like I was blocking something from view then putting my hands behind it and twiddling my thumbs. From the front it looked like I was playing a game but when she would come up to bust me I'd just be reading along or whatever. After one or two times of that I'd pull out Circle of the Moon and get back to work.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's got Mario vs DK and it started the Mario & Luigi series. Also Wario Land 4. That makes up for no new 2D Mario mainline game. Also Super Circuit has since been far surpassed but it was a pretty good Mario Kart game back when it was released. In the top 3 even!

Also the 3DS has sold 75 million systems so far and it's still selling so it's actually in the same ballpark as GBA with 81 million systems.

They're even closer in games, 380 million for 3DS and 377 million for GBA.

The context is that GBA did it in half the time, so outside Japan, GBA was a juggernaut in a way that the 3DS really wasn't. The 3DS also sold over twice as many first-party games as the GBA, so that tells you all you need to know about their respective third-party support. It's not counting eShop sales however.

Still, the much stronger first-party support and a few key third-party games puts it over the edge for me. Who knows what would have happened if the GBA had had a full lifespan though.

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have a Switch.

I still fucking love my Vita. Such a comfortable machine to hold.

I'm not saying the Vita isn't a good machine, but saying you don't know how awesome a handheld can be if you don't own a Vita is just false. Everything it was known for has since been done better. Even at the time, though I was impressed enough to buy one at launch, it didn't feel as revolutionary as the PSP. I really don't think the Vita is an essential purchase for handheld lovers.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
The context is that GBA did it in half the time, so outside Japan, GBA was a juggernaut in a way that the 3DS really wasn't. The 3DS also sold over twice as many first-party games as the GBA, so that tells you all you need to know about their respective third-party support. It's not counting eShop sales however.

Still, the much stronger first-party support and a few key third-party games puts it over the edge for me. Who knows what would have happened if the GBA had had a full lifespan though.

GBA didn't do it in half the time, and it had a full lifespan. It was still going strong in 2006 and beyond, and GBA games benefited from having BC on the DS. All the sales on 3DS games are coming from 3DS hardware alone.

Also success is success, sure 3DS is more first-party heavy than GBA, but the end result is the same, two great handhelds with amazing game libraries.