• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kizuna

Oct 27, 2017
Practically never. Handheld mode is used solely to allow myself to play on the bed.

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
I always toss it in my bag when I leave if I'm going somewhere with downtime.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Everytime im out on vacation, roughly three times a year, as well as everytime im out to see friends who are into games and when I need to travel for more than half an hour.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
I've got a 9 hour flight next month so that will be the first time I've ever used it outside of the house

Feb 10, 2018
I once took it to a friends house.
I don't know why OP thought it was to bulky to take on holiday.
Sure you need a case but it fits rather easily in a bag or suitcase.

JustALurker

Feb 12, 2019
Literally went on a road trip with the switch last week and it was a blast to play at the camp sites.

OP
OP
Mekanos

Mekanos

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 17, 2018
I once took it to a friends house.
I don't know why OP thought it was to bulky to take on holiday.
Sure you need a case but it fits rather easily in a bag or suitcase.

Well, it surely isn't as convenient as the foldable DS/3DS that slides right into your pocket. It's more like a laptop.

Nov 3, 2017
I take it with me everyday for my train commute but I sometimes nap on the train...

On a similar note, what do you do when someone pulls out a Switch too because on several occasions, people have seen me on my Switch and play on their own right next to me. Do I give them a knowing nod? Do I ignore them? Do we share friend codes like we're in a commercial?

Deleted member 3038

Oct 25, 2017
Every single time I go out with a bag, Extended Trip, or if I'm going out with some friends and we all bring our switches.

Well, it surely isn't as convenient as the foldable DS/3DS that slides right into your pocket. It's more like a laptop.
One of my friends would straight up put his n3DSXL in his pocket, it was actually surprising how easy it was to carry that thing. Though I always have a Messenger bag on me so it went in there (along with all my other nonsense).

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
Depends on the game(s) I'm currently playing, but more often than not.

Like, with Three Houses, I've pretty much brought and played my Switch outside about as much as I have inside.

I also live in NYC and use public transportation a lot.

javac

Oct 28, 2017
Bought the Switch day one, always play at home in handheld, the amount of times that I've taken it out of the house could be counted on two hands, if I'm outside I'm probably doing other things and I've never enjoyed playing or doing anything on public transport.

RingoGaSuki

Apr 22, 2019
I took it out of the house everyday for the past year and a half for my commute (two hours each way..) and it held up well. Carried it in a case inside of my bag when it wasn't in use. Since I moved and got a car I don't really take it out though, unless I know I'll have an hour break in the middle of the day to kill.

Nightside

Oct 28, 2017
I don't commute by public transportation so.. Basically only when I go on vacation.
But I play handheld 99.99% of the time anyway

PlzUninstall

Oct 30, 2017
This would've been an interesting poll to see. I hardly ever take it out of the house, drive to work so I can't really play there (which I'm sad about since I used to get so many hours on a commute)!

Nowadays it's only on longer trips but the lack of a good portable dock is hurting me when you get a decent TV available. Hoping to go in on this new Genki one once it's commercially available.

alundra311

Oct 25, 2017
I bring it with me to work to play during lunch breaks. Aside from that, I don't bring it with me when I go out with my family.

Council Pop

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wish I had the confidence to play it on the London Underground, but it's so big and draws so much attention, and it's incredibly rare to see anyone play any video game console on the tube, that I don't feel safe with the Switch. I always play my 3DS on the tube and that draws enough funny looks tbh.

Squid Bunny

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
When I lived in the US, pretty much every time I went to my university. I normally had some down time in between classes and assistantships.

Now in Brazil, I'm too paranoid to go out with it. I only take it to play at a friend's house, and I call an Uber.

Numberfox

Aug 5, 2018
Pretty regularly because of how often I travel and commute, potentially also between meetings when I have a few hours to kill. It's a godsend for long flights and rides, as well as occasionally when I'm out and about while resting.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Every single day.

I have a train commute to work. Married with two children, this is now predominantly my game time. I hardly buy games for my stationary consoles anymore.

Minky

Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Basically every day... A lot of us at work have Switches, we have a group that just chills in the boardroom at lunchtime taking turns to put stuff on the big screen :) It comes with me whenever I travel too, best portable console ever.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If im going on vacation ill
Bring it with me for the plane or the hotel room when im getting ready for bed. Otherwise that thing never leaves its dock

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Depends upon what's going on, during the normal week it leaves my house to go to my parents, or if I'm going somewhere with a lot of downtime like the dmv or the movies.

When I'm traveling (which I do a lot) it gets a lot of use outside the house.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
Only time my Switch was outside the house was when it got delivered and when I sold it.

I don't really want to play it outside.

1. i don't like carrying things. only take my phone, wallet, keys. don't use a bag or like having my pockets full.
  2. i drive most of the time so yeah... sometimes i take a train/bus but i'm only on them maybe 10-20 minutes. i'd rather just stare out the window or do something on my phone.
  3. i think it's rude to play games when you're around friends/family. sure if you's are meeting up to play games then cool but i'm not gonna go to someones house and just sit playing games. maybe if i was staying over the night i might want to take it but never really done that.

Globule

Banned
May 9, 2018
I play mostly handheld but I never bring it out. It's just too big to use when I commute and the battery life is just too bad. Yet I enjoy playing it in handheld mode at home. During the recent heat waves, it was the only console I could use because my TV runs too hot. Awesome machine yet not a mobile one.

legend166

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Threads like this make me remember no one in the US uses public transport.

I take mine with me on the train 3 days a week. The vast majority of my gaming time is done during my commute.