• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
As an American, would calling this "absolute scenes" be the right use of that term?

donkey

Sumo Digital Dev
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
EteFFWIXEAAD-Nx

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
The clips they showed on the BBC news report made me burst out laughing.

So many quotable lines.

Deleted member 6263

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
READ THE STANDING ORDERS.
READ THEM AND UNDERSTAND THEM!

oh man I was wheezing.

The whole video is just absurd.

Oct 25, 2017
after dealing with some parish councillors , I'm really not surprised. drunk on (very little) power the lot of them lol
Local council politics is wild. A tiny modicum of power and people go... pretty darn crazy over it.
Parish and town councils are always pretty ridiculous considering how little power they have.
It''s Sayre's law in practice. The fighting is so fierce because the stakes are so small.

no one even bothers to read roberts rules anymore its not surprising so many of these city counsel meetings go sideways so often
The real problem is that Robert's is too cumbersome for bodies like this. It's why for years I always motioned for "Robert's Rules, casually implemented" whenever the council I'm on had to vote on what parliamentary procedure to use.

Lurcharound

Oct 27, 2017
UK
The entertainment value can't be denied. Nearly as quotable as Ghostbusters. I'll be stealing some of those quotes for home use.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
The real problem is that Robert's is too cumbersome for bodies like this. It's why for years I always motioned for "Robert's Rules, casually implemented" whenever the council I'm on had to vote on what parliamentary procedure to use.
oh no argument there

it's just more the fact that lots of people come into these things unwilling to learn any body of rules whatsoever thinking it's unnecessary or a waste of their time and then when one thing goes to hell they have no idea how to proceed. it can be hard to get anything done at that point. even harder than robert's makes it sometimes

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
"When do we plan to start?"
"fuck off"

"He hasn't been to a council meeting in six months! The fact that no meetings were held is irrelevant."

Oct 28, 2017
I enjoyed that quite a bit.

I have a teams meeting today at 3pm. I'll be sure to announce to my peers to READ THE STANDING ORDERS.

Oct 25, 2017
So ever the devil's advocate, I'm going to suggest that based on what I've read so far, I think the kneejerk support for Weaver might be misplaced.

She's not a member of the body, she's just helping them conduct their meetings. As such, she actually doesn't have the authority to eject a member of the body from a meeting, especially when that member is pointing out (however rudely) that she doesn't have the authority to raise a point of order.

BlackJace

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I work for a local government and this is so painfully accurate. Some of these people get a whiff of power and then proceed to OD.

Bobson Dugnutt

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So ever the devil's advocate, I'm going to suggest that based on what I've read so far, I think the kneejerk support for Weaver might be misplaced.

She's not a member of the body, she's just helping them conduct their meetings. As such, she actually doesn't have the authority to eject a member of the body from a meeting, especially when that member is pointing out (however rudely) that she doesn't have the authority to raise a point of order.

fair but if the chairman of the council refuses to schedule a meeting the artifice is crumbling already. You only need to see of the other videos on that channel to see how much of a shambles a lot of them are.

Though I can identify hugely with being in the right and something and getting angry and losing an argument so I can sympathise somewhat.

also,

Ly8ibqk.jpg

falcondoc

Oct 29, 2017
fair but if the chairman of the council refuses to schedule a meeting the artifice is crumbling already. You only need to see of the other videos on that channel to see how much of a shambles a lot of them are.

Though I can identify hugely with being in the right and something and getting angry and losing an argument so I can sympathise somewhat.

also,

Ly8ibqk.jpg

This is great. Love crazy Aled

ragingbegal

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who has covered hundreds of municipal government meetings over the years, I've seen worse. About a decade ago we were covering the first Illinois politician to get recalled. I went to a few of those meetings before she was removed and it was the most dysfunctional local government I'd ever seen. Meetings lasted until well past 1 a.m. because of constant disruptions. The council member in question would get up from her spot on the board and go stand in line for public comment just to have more time to shout at her colleagues. She accused the village clerk of stealing money from a fundraiser once, with no proof. She sued one of the local newspapers to try to force them to reveal the name of a commenter on an article who insulted her. At one point after she was finally removed from office, she even called up the village president, a frequent adversary, and tried to sell him on her sex toy business.

None of these were written by me but by colleagues from various publications that were covering this all back then. This is just a taste. Combined, we all wrote hundreds of articles on this shitshow over about a two-year period. Sadly, a lot of it seems to have been lost to time.

www.journal-topics.com

Restraining Order A Possibility? - Journal & Topics Media Group

Lisa Stone and Jeff Braiman have different viewpoints on when it is appropriate to contact an elected official.Buffalo Grove Village President Jeff Braiman said if former village trustee Lisa Stone commits one more "unreasonable offense" against him or his family, he would consider filing a...
patch.com

No Charges Filed After Stone Calls Braiman After 2 a.m.

Village President Jeff Braiman told police he wanted to sign criminal complaints against Lisa Stone. An assistant state's attorney decided that the incident did not warrant charges.
www.journal-topics.com

Heated Words End BG Meeting - Journal & Topics Media Group

A verbal altercation between former Buffalo Grove trustee Lisa Stone and local blogger Stan Zoller erupted after Monday night’s village board meeting. The two exchanged heated words that led to an alleged donnybrook, which was immediately broken up by adjacent bystanders. So far, no one has been...
www.dailyherald.com

Buffalo Grove recall vote to make history

Buffalo Grove will make history on Tuesday, although perhaps not in a way it would prefer. Tuesday's vote to recall Buffalo Grove Trustee Lisa Stone from office may or may not be a first in Illinois. No historian or state agency has been able to name another municipality that recalled an elected...
www.chicagonow.com

From a scenic ride in the country to sex-toy-toting officials

Set the way-back machine, Sherman. A long time ago – somewhere around 30 years ago – I was covering the growing communities in the northwest suburbs – Wheeling and Buffalo Grove to be exact. Wheeling was seemingly more established than its neighbor to its north, but was still dealing with...

Last edited: