• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I get minor/major Goldeneye 007 (game) soundtrack vibes from the music in this one, lol. Either pause music or Severnaya Bunker

Bramblebutt

Banned
Jan 11, 2018
2 & 4. I think these are referring to the same thing -- in any case, the excise tax on whiskey hardly "impoverished the west". And it wasn't his fault that there has always been a strain in the American populace that doesn't want to pay taxes.
That's frankly a terrible appraisal of the grievance many people held against the Whiskey Tax: not only WAS it a hugely impactful blow to the Western economy which relied in large part on distilling grain into whiskey and other spirits to preserve it as a trade commodity which could survive the overland journey to the East, but the ubiquity of whiskey as a stable trade commodity meant that many communities in the West, especially those more isolated or lower income, used whisky as a currency. For places like these, the Whiskey Tax functioned as a highly regressive income tax. Meanwhile the smaller, scattered farmers and distillers bore proportionally more of the brunt of the Whiskey Tax because more consolidated producers in the East could afford to pay the cheaper flat rate instead of the per gallon rate.

UnknownSpirit

Oct 25, 2017
Rewatching it now.
God damn, that middle of the first act is perfect sequencing

Right Hand Man - Helpless - Satisfied - Wait For It.

It really doesn't lag, I do feel like the second act does just a bit

Deleted member 388

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
7pYqb5j_d.jpg

IpDz4eZ_d.jpg

It's driving my fiancé nuts.

Waffles

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I wish I enjoyed this more. I absolutely adore the original cast recording (never saw it live). But I just couldn't get into it watching it tonight. I think it was how it was filmed, but I can't quite figure it out yet.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
I wish I enjoyed this more. I absolutely adore the original cast recording (never saw it live). But I just couldn't get into it watching it tonight. I think it was how it was filmed, but I can't quite figure it out yet.
Theater definitely is not for everyone. A full cinematic version would be much better than a recording of the live show.

pikablu

Oct 28, 2017
Watched the first half during lunch and second half with dinner. It was very enjoyable.

BearPawB

I'm a fan of the erotic thriller genre
Oct 25, 2017
Theater definitely is not for everyone. A full cinematic version would be much better than a recording of the live show.

I feel like cinematic versions of broadway shows can be even more off putting.
Rent felt so wrong in so many ways.
A cinematic version always makes the bursting out into song much more jarring to me

Id rather just see the show

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
I continue to be appalled at the praise Hamilton gets through this play when it ignores what a supremely antidemocratic man he was. He was a Royalist through and through, with regressive and oppressive ideas.

During the Constitutional Convention Hamilton argued:
- "the British government is the best in the world"
- that state governments should be practically abolished, with governors appointed by Congress.
- that something very close to a King should lead the executive branch
- that the Senate should be patterned after the aristocratic British House of Lords and have life terms
- that governments operated most smoothly when friends and enemies were bribed with jobs and rewards. (very Trumpian)
- characterized deliberations at state govt level as "the amazing violence and turbulence of the democratic spirit" (Hamilton would probably have clutched many pearls by BLM protests)

His speech was met with silence by those at the Convention. It seemed that his ideas were so far from what they hoped to achieve with a Constitution that there was no debate on his plan at all. Hamilton, not happy that no one wanted to return to a monarchy, left the Convention and went back to New York. Jefferson despised him, stating that Hamilton preferred "the calm of despotism to the boisterous sea of liberty."

Karish

Oct 25, 2017
That was better than I expected and I had insanely high expectations. Glorious in Dolby Vision / 5.1 too.

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I continue to be appalled at the praise Hamilton gets through this play when it ignores what a supremely antidemocratic man he was. He was a Royalist through and through, with regressive and oppressive ideas.

- that state governments should be practically abolished, with governors appointed by Congress.
- that the Senate should be patterned after the aristocratic British House of Lords and have life terms
- that governments operated most smoothly when friends and enemies were bribed with jobs and rewards. (very Trumpian)
- characterized deliberations at state govt level as "the amazing violence and turbulence of the democratic spirit" (Hamilton would probably have clutched many pearls by BLM protests)

His speech was met with silence by those at the Convention. It seemed that his ideas were so far from what they hoped to achieve with a Constitution that there was no debate on his plan at all. Hamilton, not happy that no one wanted to return to a monarchy, left the Convention and went back to New York. Jefferson despised him, stating that Hamilton preferred "the calm of despotism to the boisterous sea of liberty."

This is most of the plot of the second half of the show.

johnsmith

Oct 26, 2017
Am I crazy or does Leslie Odom have a lisp? He sounds completely different from the cast recording.

Waffles

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

Don't get me wrong, I love the theater. I've seen quite a lot on Broadway. I just never got to see this one live, and the way this was filmed, just didn't click at all with me. Everything with Leslie Odom Jr was spectacular, because he did a lot on his own. But a lot of the ensemble shots were just weirdly framed and cut, and took me out of it (which feels weird to say about a recording of a Broadway show).

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Don't get me wrong, I love the theater. I've seen quite a lot on Broadway. I just never got to see this one live, and the way this was filmed, just didn't click at all with me. Everything with Leslie Odom Jr was spectacular, because he did a lot on his own. But a lot of the ensemble shots were just weirdly framed and cut, and took me out of it.

Broadway costumes and sets are never meant to be seen this close. Being able to see headsets on the actors would turn off many people who try to watch a filmed version of a play.

commish

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've seen it live twice on broadway, listened to the soundtrack hundreds of times, and I still loved watching it on Disney as much as the first time I heard it. Okay, maybe not as much. But close! So good.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
This is most of the plot of the second half of the show.

Was it? I read a synopsis of the plot but didn't see anything covering the Convention deliberations. But my post was more focusing on the praise that I've seen everyone give him, but I never see any talk about what kind of ideas he actually had.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like cinematic versions of broadway shows can be even more off putting.
Rent felt so wrong in so many ways.
A cinematic version always makes the bursting out into song much more jarring to me

Id rather just see the show
I get that. Live theater is great, just like a live concert. But a recording of it isn't the same experience.

I have the honor to be your obedient servant,

H. Duo

Waffles

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Broadway costumes and sets are never meant to be seen this close. Being able to see headsets on the actors would turn off many people who try to watch a filmed version of a play.

There were a handful of wide shots in The Room Where it Happens that were absolutely perfect. And I wish the whole recording was like that.

Honestly should have tempered my expectations a bit. I still love the music.

Red Comet

Jan 6, 2018
This was supposed to come to my city this fall, but who knows if that's still going to happen. Glad I'll get to see it taped, at least. We're going to watch it later this weekend. Looking forward to it.

Deleted member 388

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if this is in the same scene or anything, but Wikipedia says the movie is actually three separate show performances edited together?
Yeah, it's driving her nuts because someone likely edited it focusing on lighting / angles but not paying attention to the fact that costumes messed up during one performance.

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Was it? I read a synopsis of the plot but didn't see anything covering the Convention deliberations. But my post was more focusing on the praise that I've seen everyone give him, but I never see any talk about what kind of ideas he actually had.

You should watch the show. There are about 3 or 4 songs that are based around everything you talked about, including one that actually shows the convention and the reaction to his ideas (that's why it wouldn't show up in a random plot synopsis, it is one act of one song).

Hamilton's ideas are thoroughly explored in the show and are used as the primary conflict between him and the other founding fathers like Jefferson. The reason people don't talk about the ideas is because they are not the most interesting part of the story. The story and characters already treat his ideas as garbage and divisive, it is only a backdrop to the real plot of the show, which is Hamilton's legacy on the people he interacted with.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
You should watch the show. There are about 3 or 4 songs that are based around everything you talked about, including one that actually shows the convention and the reaction to his ideas.

Hamilton's ideas are thoroughly explored in the show and are used as the primary conflict between him and the other founding fathers like Jefferson. The reason people don't talk about the ideas is because they are not the most interesting part of the story. The story already treats his ideas as garbage and divisive, it is only a backdrop to the real plot of the show, which is Hamilton's legacy on the people he interacted with.

I see. Well, the debate of ideas is the most interesting part to me, but maybe I'm weird. I've just never gotten this impression from others speaking positively about his story on social media, but thank you for clarifying. I'm not a big fan of musicals, but maybe I'll check it out at some point.

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I see. Well, the debate of ideas is the most interesting part to me, but maybe I'm weird. I've just never gotten this impression from others speaking positively about his story on social media, but thank you for clarifying. I'm not a big fan of musicals, but maybe I'll check it out at some point.

Well, if you like debates, there are two of them in the movie, and they are both rap battles. They are excellent.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
Just watched it, I liked it quite a bit.

Did anyone else think the way King George pronounced the word "back" was a little odd? He says "beck," almost like he momentarily slips into some kind of Eastern European accent.

The show is great. I'd really like to see a cast with someone else as Hamilton, LMM is definitely the weak link as far as the performances go, though on the other hand everyone was else was pretty damn near perfect. Burr, Washington, and Lafayette/ Jefferson were all fantastic.

Hamilton's ideas are thoroughly explored in the show and are used as the primary conflict between him and the other founding fathers like Jefferson. The reason people don't talk about the ideas is because they are not the most interesting part of the story. The story and characters already treat his ideas as garbage and divisive, it is only a backdrop to the real plot of the show, which is Hamilton's legacy on the people he interacted with.

The only big idea that I got from the movie was Hamilton wanting the US to have a shared national treasury that took on the states' debt. It's certainly portrayed as a controversial idea, but at the end it's said that the nation basically would have fallen apart without it (paraphrasing, I can't remember the exact line, but that's not far off). I don't agree at all that the play treats his ideas as "garbage," if anything it makes the case that he should be remembered as alongside the other Founding Fathers. Which, if the points in eyeball_kid 's post are accurate, seems pretty iffy.

It also touched on him being opposed to slavery a bit, though it basically just has a couple lines about it and unless I missed something it doesn't spend any time addressing the other characters' relationships with slavery.

I enjoyed the show a lot, but as others have said if you're looking for something historically accurate, that's not what this is. It's a fun musical, but it doesn't seem particularly educational.

Last edited:

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I will say the censored fuck in Washington On Your Side really goes out of its way to disrupt the punch of that song

Ashdroid

Oct 27, 2017
The PS4 Disney+ app is shit. Frequent frame drops and audio desync once.

My thoughts on watching this after many, many, many listenings of the soundtrack:
The acting, singing, and choreography were all around superb. Just listening to the soundtrack does not do the show justice.

Renée Elise Goldsberry was stunning in all of her songs.

Either Anthony Ramos sounds a lot better here than on the recording or I just forgot how good he can sing. He has such a beautiful voice. I absolutely can't wait to see In The Heights.

Loved that Okieriete Onaodowan/Hercules Mulligan was the flower boy at Hamilton's wedding. 😆

I went in knowing I would love Daveed Diggs's performance, but he was still way better than I expected. His dancing in his first song as Jefferson was especially fun to watch.

I'd read about Jonathan Groff's subtle use of humor, but like everything else it's so much better to actually see it for myself.

Also really enjoyed Okieriete Onaodowan's subtle humor as Madison.

While I'll admit Lin-Manuel may not be the strongest singer, his voice has a lot of character, and I really appreciate it.

Also, if anyone hasn't seen the video of Adam Savage interviewing the sound mixer for the L.A. show, I'd recommend checking it out. Basically, there are dozen of mics and no mic is ever on unless it's in use, so the sound mixer has their own complex choreography to do during the entire show.
youtu.be

Adam Savage Explores the Sound Mixing of Hamilton!

Adam Savage visits the sound mixing booth for the San Francisco touring production of Hamilton to learn how audio engineer Kevin McCoy mixes the dozens of mi...

I have that too. But already noticed it with Mandalorian.
I have a 100Mbit line and use the PS4 App.

I searched for it but didn't seem to be a common issue. I suspect it might be the App though.
I'm using the PS4 as well. From searching the Disney+ subreddit, apparently a lot of people have various issues with the PS4 app.

Last edited:

BDrummer1606

Oct 27, 2017
My wife and I have listened to the soundtrack so much and it was fantastic to finally see it in action. We actually had tickets to see it this month in Houston, but since the show was cancelled, this was the next best thing.

This was so much better than the studio recording. Phenomenal.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
I knew pretty much nothing about this before my wife wanted to watch it tonight. I'm still not a fan of musicals, but I didn't expect such a hot mix of R&B and hip hop. I'm enjoying it so far.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

Do you have good articles to read on his views by chance? I just read briefly on it in a couple, and at least some didn't seem quite as controversial there. It more sounded like he wanted our three branch system and worried that terms for government would create a situation of possible instability and a desire to prioritize re-election over making meaningful changes which I personally think are fair critiques even if I would overall still disagree.

I'm curious to know more if you have some stuff you'd reccomend.

Sayre

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Just finished watching it and thoroughly enjoyed it. I've seen it in broadway with a new cast of characters and though the new actor who plays Hamilton is more talented, I like LMM and the original cast more. I feel like their voices Is more distinct with a lot of character.

Also... It's okay to criticize the show, but I feel like you should at least see it before criticizing it. The show is not going to be a history lesson and go through everything. Ultimately it's a story about Hamilton and his journey. And my take away is, how will we be remembered when we die? What will our legacy be?

Praxis

Sausage Tycoon
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Anyone else here enjoy this that doesn't usually like musicals or hip hop?

Asking before I put it on and get trapped watching it with my wife.

Xion385

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The only big idea that I got from the movie was Hamilton wanting the US to have a shared national treasury that took on the states' debt. It's certainly portrayed as a controversial idea, but at the end it's said that the nation basically would have fallen apart without it (paraphrasing, I can't remember the exact line, but that's not far off). I don't agree at all that the play treats his ideas as "garbage," if anything it makes the case that he should be remembered as alongside the other Founding Fathers. Which, if the points in eyeball_kid 's post are accurate, seems pretty iffy.

It also touched on him being opposed to slavery a bit, though it basically just has a couple lines about it and unless I missed something it doesn't spend any time addressing the other characters' relationships with slavery.

I enjoyed the show a lot, but as others have said if you're looking for something historically accurate, that's not what this is. It's a fun musical, but it doesn't seem particularly educational.

Funny enough. Lin-Manuel Miranda covers that in Hamilton's Drunk History.