• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
This forum can be really insufferable sometimes. You guys can't let anyone just enjoy anything. Always got to pop in, be an asshole and then duck out.

Dio

Oct 25, 2017
Oh great. That means all the schools closed, and all the austerity cuts can be undone.

Because he backpedalled.
no, that means he found such a support misguided. yall are acting as if he wrote the laws. his initial support wasn't even for that. Sean C. already pointed this out. do not patronize me.

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
So many bad fucking takes in this thread. Not a single person here ever said he was perfect. Quit embarrassing yourself.

Deleted member 52442

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
Im gonna keep jamming to my Puerto Rican & Black founding of America fanfiction regardless lol

a little interested in more specifics on what the real alexander hamilton did though

OP
OP
Jul 4, 2018
Finished this last night and really enjoyed it, especially for a first time watch (will likely watch it a second with subtitles.)

First off it looked and sounded great the Dolby Vision and Atmos really helped in making it more immersive. The songs were all really well down, and like many people predicted I did real down towards the end and as some one that didn't know American history that in depth Holy Shit! I think a lot of people are really going to enjoy it this weekend and glad it's more accessible to a large audience now.

BADMAN

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lol damn, I walked straight into your trap. I clearly must know nothing since I haven't seen it therefore my opinion does not matter. RIP

Don't take my opinion on it. Plenty of people who did see it have criticisms of it. Or you know, read some history to get some context on why Hamilton is an asshole.

Ashdroid

Oct 27, 2017
Even though I've listened to the soundtrack enough to have every line memorized, actually seeing it is amazing. Renée Elise Goldsberry absolutely steals the show, imo.

Though, I keep noticing dropped frames or something similar. I'm only about 20 minutes in, and it's happened 5 times already. Really distracting. This is the first thing I've ever watched on Disney+, so idk if it's the service, the stream, or the editing of the show itself.

a little interested in more specifics on what the real alexander hamilton did though
The biography of Hamilton by Ron Chernow is what inspired Miranda to create the show. The audiobook version of it is very well done, imo.

Sax

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Going to watch it tonight, can't wait. I've listened to the soundtrack so many times. Was going to see it for the first time this month in Houston but well... we know how that went. Next time!

Also, holy shit at some of the recent posts here. Even in this thread it seems I can find utter fucking morons to add to my ignore list.

Feels like a kinda shitty time to be releasing revisionist history stuff
1. Not sure what this is specifically referring to, but if it's generally to his financial plans, Hamilton's plans are what enabled the US to become financially independent of Europe and an industrial power. He wasn't about cronyism (anymore than the normal distribution of offices to friends that was common in this pre-Pendleton Act America).

2 & 4. I think these are referring to the same thing -- in any case, the excise tax on whiskey hardly "impoverished the west". And it wasn't his fault that there has always been a strain in the American populace that doesn't want to pay taxes.

3. Hamilton did not seek to "fuck over veterans". As Treasury Secretary he argued what any sensible man in that position would have, the importance of instilling confidence in the US financial system. What fucked over veterans was that neither side in that debate evidently had the imagination to propose both honouring all the debts and creating additional supports for veterans who had sold theirs at a loss.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
And here I thought Hamilton would be one of the last things not tainted by negativity on Era...

Oct 30, 2017
People who criticize Hamilton for not being historically accurate also think The Book of Mormon is a distorted version of Mormonism.

It's entertainment y'all. Just enjoy it for what it is.

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I get disliking Hamilton the person for the legacy of the capitalist system he left behind, but that's a genuine argument and debate to be had, not a reason to troll and ignore and try to "cancel" a legitimately good play that made history interesting to millions of people who wouldn't have other wise. And in the play, Hamilton is not a hero anyway.

Oct 27, 2017
Im gonna keep jamming to my Puerto Rican & Black founding of America fanfiction regardless lol

youtu.be

Hamilton: Building America | Full Episode | History

This two-hour documentary captures the amazing life and times of our nation's forgotten founding father: Alexander Hamilton. #HamiltonSubscribe for more from...
Documentary from The History Channel, released when the musical was at its height in 2016.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Glad I was able to watch it with the original cast. Really hope I get the opportunity to watch it live one day.

I can't say I'm surprised by some of the comments in this thread. Nothing wrong with educating and pointing out that things were left out but that needs to be done without just posting a tweet or one sentence and never coming back to this thread.

I know not everyone is like this but typically if I'm watching something with any historical context I'll do more research after I'm done, especially in the era of colonial/revolutionary America as that's just where my interest in history lies.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I'm finding out how many people on my FB timeline has Disney Plus, interested in seeing the numbers for this, Ive seen 10-12 posts from different people talking about it

Deleted member 8644

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What do you think is more accessible for most people? A subscription to Disney+? Or a Broadway ticket that cost hundreds of dollars. Go ahead I'll wait for your answer
I was mostly taking issue with the fact that your point is dangerously close to the realm of "now that the unwashed poors with unrefined taste got to watch it there's negativity"

kVH2LpZd

Apr 3, 2019
Though, I keep noticing dropped frames or something similar. I'm only about 20 minutes in, and it's happened 5 times already. Really distracting. This is the first thing I've ever watched on Disney+, so idk if it's the service, the stream, or the editing of the show itself.
I have that too. But already noticed it with Mandalorian.
I have a 100Mbit line and use the PS4 App.

I searched for it but didn't seem to be a common issue. I suspect it might be the App though.

Brandino

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
I just saw a yahoo article about people reacting to seeing it for the first time. Then, I made a mistake and read the comments. The trolls have come out from under the bridge for sure there

Freddy=Legend

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 29, 2017
I really enjoyed it but I don't think Lin-Manuel Miranda would have got his part if he had auditioned.

To be fair, he covered himself by casting an absolutely incredible cast around him to the point, they elevate him to a level above his own. Lin is a incredible artist, but his voice is certainly one of the weaker in the show. But when you have the voices he assembled around him, it doesn't really matter.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
I was mostly taking issue with the fact that your point is dangerously close to the realm of "now that the unwashed poors with unrefined taste got to watch it there's negativity"
Jesus Christ is reading too much into benign statements your hobby or what?

Or did you think Disney+ was niche?!

BraXzy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Watched this today (just dropped in the UK) and found it fascinating. I've been intrigued ever since I saw the White House? rendition Lin Manuel Miranda gave years ago.

I have very limited knowledge on the specifics of American history so some elements were hard to keep track of. But the way the whole thing played out through rap and song was really engaging. I've seen a couple of broadway shows in person, and since I'd likely never be able to catch this one, I'm glad it was available through other means.

Can anyone give me a good link to some sort of summary of the events covered? Ideally without bias, and not anything too heavy, just curious.