• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jul 4, 2018
Hamilton has a 92 on Metacritic meaning it is the highest reviewed movie of the year so far, in second place is Never Rarely Sometimes Always with 91 and third is First Cow with 90. So it's not a landslide and could change but still it's a big accomplishment particularly for a straight to streaming movie.

Also has a 100% rating on Rotten Tomatoes with a average rating of 9.28 after 41 reviews.

I don't know about anyone else but I'm pretty excited to see this on Friday (and for the first time no less

bastardly

Nov 8, 2017
yeh, was trying to see this live in LA, but yehhhhhh. This will have to do for now, glad disney released it early because this was slated for late next year

Squirrel09

Nov 4, 2017
I am soooo ready for this.

I listen to the album at least twice a year, and individual songs are in my normal rotation.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
this movie is the stage production version, right?

it's not like a movie-movie version?

grang

Nov 13, 2017
Assuming the filming and editing is up to snuff, everyone's in for a fantastic treat if you haven't seen it before.

Saw it in Boston after winning the ticket lottery and got second row seats for dirt cheap, I had only heard a couple songs. It's really an incredible experience.

this movie is the stage production version, right?

it's not like a movie-movie version?

Yes, this is just a filmed stage production

Last edited:

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
If you've never seen this you're in for a real treat. It's so wonderful. I've seen the stage version 3 times and weep everytime.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
I want my first time to be on broadway... but I had to rebuy my tickets for February next year, and even that date looks iffy at this point. Might have to cave...

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I saw it on broadway last year, tickets were still super expensive then( it was like $400 for only "decent" seats)

OP
OP
Jul 4, 2018
If you've never seen this you're in for a real treat. It's so wonderful. I've seen the stage version 3 times and weep everytime.

I tear up easily so I assume I'll have a good cry if this is the case.

I saw it on broadway last year, tickets were still super expensive then( it was like $400 for only "decent" seats)

Yeah on great thing about this is it's $7 in the US, $10 here in NZ. Which is less than a movie ticket in most cases so it's much more accessible for people.

Malleymal

Oct 28, 2017
Saw it live in NYC and even scored backstage access to meet the cast after the play. Such a great show.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
Never got a chance to see it live so was pretty happy when this got announced, I know what the wife and I are doing friday

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
The best movie-movie of the year so far is Portrait of a Lady on Fire (although technically not, because it's a 2019 release). But yeah, Hamilton is an actual masterpiece. I'm excited to see it in this format.

Mike Works

Oct 28, 2017
Curious if non-Americans and/or people aware of American history are impacted in any way by the show? I don't know a ton about Hamilton or pretty much any other older presidents other than Lincoln and Washington. Is it still as enjoyable?

Hound

Jul 6, 2019
I'm excited to see this, tickets at Pantages I'm LA were close to and over a grand for only mildly decent seats before the pandemic. Thanks for saving me a boatload of money Disney+! Even if I hate it I'm still only out 3 hours of my time.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Hamilton has a 92 on Metacritic meaning it is the highest reviewed movie of the year so far, in second place is Never Rarely Sometimes Always with 91 and third is First Cow with 90. So it's not a landslide and could change but still it's a big accomplishment particularly for a straight to streaming movie.

I don't feel like this really holds any weight any more. The "VOD movie" has lost most of its stigma when you've got auteurs like Scorsese and Baumbach putting out 5-star bangers.

jml

Mar 9, 2018
Curious if non-Americans and/or people aware of American history are impacted in any way by the show? I don't know a ton about Hamilton or pretty much any other older presidents other than Lincoln and Washington. Is it still as enjoyable?
tbh most Americans who saw Hamilton probably didn't know a whole lot about Alexander Hamilton either. He's the type of guy where all Americans know his name and maybe some very basic facts about him but don't know much about him beyond that.

dingobingo

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Saw it live in Chicago with my X it was fking amazing (that was my first Broadway play too). Then they came to Cincinnati I got front row seats and took my mom. She was blown away

Civilstrife

Oct 27, 2017

Canadian here. It's an expertly crafted, entertaining show that does what all good non-fiction storytelling does: "infect" you with an interest in its subject matter.

donkey

Sumo Digital Dev
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
US expat living in the UK. Took my British fiancée to the London show and she got emotional from it. She generally got the gist of everything, but the show does a great job with all the characters so you'll get invested regardless of your knowledge on that point of American history.

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
critics got early screenings so they could write about it
That makes sense. Especially cause not many people have heard of Hamilton.

It's pretty indie and only true theatre people have heard of it. Looking forward to it myself.

Was it filmed with a live audience?

I don't feel like this really holds any weight any more. The "VOD movie" has lost most of its stigma when you've got auteurs like Scorsese and Baumbach putting out 5-star bangers.
The Irishman was the best movie of last year. Pesci deserved best supporting actor. Don't @ me.

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
I saw it live as well. it was really good and I actually ended up making money on it because my brother and I were both able to get four tickets each so we sold the extras

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
I'm pretty damn excited.

I was going to see it for the first time in SF, but it happened to fall on the weekend they banned large crowds due to Covid.

Alcoremortis

Oct 25, 2017
I somehow managed to get tickets to the LA version and it was incredible, but I always really wanted to see the original cast.

gnexus

Mar 30, 2018
I was never big into musicals, but my girlfriend bought us tickets to see Hamilton touring in Houston back in 2018 and I had a blast, lol. We are pretty hyped to watch this weekend.