• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
So my parents got a call from someone claiming to be Apple saying their Apple account was compromised and needed access to their PC to fix it...uggggh. They're old and don't know any better, they gave the guy access to their computer (but no SS #s, CC info, account #s thankfully) but pulled the plug about AN HOUR IN. How screwed are they, they already called their banks and put holds on credit cards. The call came from an official Apple customer service number (which scams do now) so they didn't know any better.

Is there any service that can check for accessed information?

Should they just run their virus scan..I'm guessing there's not much that can be done at this point other than putting accounts on lock down.

BrutalInsane

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Heh same thing happened to my mom. I just reformatted her whole system and reinstalled the OS, better to be safe than sorry.

Shogmaster

Banned
Dec 12, 2017
If you are paranoid, back up data and do a OS refresh. Otherwise just change admin and various account passwords.

Oct 27, 2017
Boot it up without connection to the internet, backup all the important data, do a Windows reset and wipe everything.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
I would probably do a full reformat, although maybe running some anti-malware program would be sufficient.

Lesson learned for your parents, I guess.

OP
OP
tapedeck

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
Sounds like a full wipe and reinstall is what needs to happen, they're in another state, I'll have to help them over the phone or get a friend over there.

Poutine

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah full format and reinstall it probably the best way to go about this, usually these scammers will end up installing teamviewer as a backdoor and could get access to it anytime, might be worse if he had a full hour to play on it.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So my parents got a call from someone claiming to be Apple saying their Apple account was compromised and needed access to their PC to fix it...uggggh. They're old and don't know any better, they gave the guy access to their computer (but no SS #s, CC info, account #s thankfully) but pulled the plug about AN HOUR IN. How screwed are they, they already called their banks and put holds on credit cards. The call came from an official Apple customer service number (which scams do now) so they didn't know any better.

Is there any service that can check for accessed information?

Should they just run their virus scan..I'm guessing there's not much that can be done at this point other than putting accounts on lock down.

An hour is more than enough time to do some significant damage and/or install a backdoor. Keep the machine offline until you've wiped it. Back up personal images, documents, and such. Work under the assumption that everything was compromised and change all relevant passwords/account details on a non-compromised computer.

EDIT: Also, I know you said they put holds on their credit cards, but tell them to keep an eye on their credit score too. I know companies like Capital One will check the deep web for you to look for any potentially liable information.

Last edited:

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
The call came from an official Apple customer service number (which scams do now) so they didn't know any better.
I got a voicemail (or was it a text) like that, pretending to be from Verizon, from an official number. I contacted Verizon support after the fact to double check that it was fake.

dom

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I would probably do a full reformat, although maybe running some anti-malware program would be sufficient.

Lesson learned for your parents, I guess.
Anti-malware scan won't help. They most likely had them install a program to get remote access. They were gonna try to get CC info. Be on safe side just back-up user files while the PC is offline and do a reset of the OS.

Hyperfludd

Oct 27, 2017
Unplug the machine from the internet, back up any important things and then do a full wipe is my recommendation.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand how stuff like this happens. It's a joke at this point that old people get scammed easily, so do old people not hear about this?

Was at my grandparents' house, and I hear my Grandpa on their home phone (what's that?) saying, "here, talk to my grandson, he's good with computers", and as he's handing me the phone he says, "it's someone from Microsoft, they said something's wrong with our computer", and I immediately hung up and handed him back the phone. They watch movies and television that constantly make fun of this very same scenario. How does this happen?

Kind of ridiculous how out of hand phone scam calls are at the moment though. 99% of the phone calls I receive are scammers. Something clearly needed to be done about this situation a long ass time ago.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand how stuff like this happens. It's a joke at this point that old people get scammed easily, so do old people not hear about this?

Was at my grandparents' house, and I hear my Grandpa on their home phone (what's that?) saying, "here, talk to my grandson, he's good with computers", and as he's handing me the phone he says, "it's someone from Microsoft, they said something's wrong with our computer", and I immediately hung up and handed him back the phone. They watch movies and television that constantly make fun of this very same scenario. How does this happen?

Kind of ridiculous how out of hand phone scam calls are at the moment though. 99% of the phone calls I receive are scammers. Something clearly needed to be done about this situation a long ass time ago.

They grew up an era that was significantly different from today. Many of them have had to adopt to modern trends, such as owning a computer, but without really learning the security risks that are inherit with them. A lot of these scammers are getting pretty convincing too if you don't know what to look for. So it's not really surprising that they fall for it.

OP
OP
tapedeck

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah I'm having their friend come over to help them wipe the whole damn thing..I'm 2000 miles away or obviously do it myself. Thanks for the advice guys..I'm just so fucking pissed off this happened to them.

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
Yeah, best to be safe and wipe it. Sometimes they don't wind up doing much on the computer other than pulling up logs and trying to scare people into paying them by saying "oh yeah, these logs are bad, you have to pay us for virus scans" but it's best to be safe.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'm having their friend come over to help them wipe the whole damn thing..I'm 2000 miles away or obviously do it myself. Thanks for the advice guys..I'm just so fucking pissed off this happened to them.

Out of curiosity how did they tell you about it? I guess what I mean is how did they go from trusting this person to figuring out it was a lie?

Sorry this happened by the way.

OP
OP
tapedeck

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
Out of curiosity how did they tell you about it? I guess what I mean is how did they go from trusting this person to figuring out it was a lie?

Sorry this happened by the way.
I called my mom on my way home from work just to say hi and she started telling me how she was on the phone with this Apple guy..she said he had an Indian accent and was hard to understand so she asked to speak to his manager...yeah..so they got some other 'Apple guy' to play manager and kept her on the phone. Her and my step-dad finally got suspicious and after an hour and hung up. -_-

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I called my mom on my way home from work just to say hi and she started telling me how she was on the phone with this Apple guy..she said he had an Indian accent and was hard to understand so she asked to speak to his manager...yeah..so they got some other 'Apple guy' to play manager and kept her on the phone. Her and my step-dad finally got suspicious and after an hour and hung up. -_-

damn that's scary.

Ebullientprism

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
1 Install Malwarebytes. Update it. Disconnect from the internet and run a complete system scan.
2 Once you know your system is scanned (and you wont be backing up any infected files) do a back up incase they have important stuff on it.
3 System Reset if its Windows 8 or 10 (choosing the option to format the drive and remove all data), reinstall windows if its 7. If its older than windows 7 buy them a new PC. :P