• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

JohnnyMoses

Oct 27, 2017
I remember getting Halo 3 at midnight on launch day, going home, firing it up and watching the online players number on the main menu go from a few thousand to over a hundred thousand by 3 or 4am. Such a great gaming memory!

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I'm honestly surprised that Microsoft of all Companies hasn't just virtualized their servers and tossed it on Azure to auto scale. If no-one is playing a game, the servers just wont spin up.

They seem to imply that these Halo games still necessitated some type of maintenance that does seem kind of redundant when they have the nearly exact experience in MCC. There's still a lot of Xbox 360 online games up - for example, all the Rare games have mostly functioning online service.

OP
OP
Traxus

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
I remember getting Halo 3 at midnight on launch day, going home, firing it up and watching the online players number on the main menu go from a few thousand to over a hundred thousand by 3 or 4am. Such a great gaming memory!
Halo 3 was the hypest launch of all time, hands down.

Having lots of good matches on Halo 3. Hop on if y'all have the chance.
That's good to hear! Funnily enough I bought a 360 yesterday in a moment of nostalgia and it hasn't been shipped yet. Then I learned about this and I was like...god damn it! 😂

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
I will miss the Halo 3 menus dearly. So much nostalgia. But glad we have MCzc, it's more than we could have asked for in terms of preserving these games.

Vimes

Oct 25, 2017
All the H3 games I'm getting are people trolling and messing around. Nobody seems interested in actually playing (I guess they're all just voice chatting? I don't do that crap anymore). None of the playlists have players other than Lone Wolves and Team Slayer. It's such a bad feeling compared to the Halo 2 shutdown.

Sad I never got the achievements for the DLC maps when I had the chance. I always wanted to 100% it just due to 3 being one of my favorite games ever.

Oh well, onward to MCC.

Last edited:

neemmss

Oct 27, 2017
Is it dead???? I can't get into anymore games :(

Edit: FINALLY GOT ONE AFTER 10MIN. LETS GOOOO

Oct 26, 2017
I think it's finally over.

I'm getting the message that the Halo reach server is unavailable.

I had more fun with this one game than any other gaming purchase. Thanks Bungie/343

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
At the least, I got the original 1000 Gamer Points back then. Though, I still never want to do a quad kill achievement ever again even if that was 15 years ago.

neemmss

Oct 27, 2017
Halo 3 still going strong! I missed this game so much….the ability to party up after a match is sorely missed in Infinite.

BraXzy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Some of my best gaming memories are from Halo 3 and Halo Wars… pouring one out for them.

My biggest gaming regret is messing with my gamerscore as a dumb kid and getting all my achievements wiped, losing my legitimately earned Halo 3 100%.

Kavalier_Clay

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 16, 2021
Whew, for a second I thought this included MCC. Glad to know it's just the og Halo 3.

Thanks for all the good times! Safe journeys ol friend.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
RIP to all those Xbox 360 Halo games.

Took pictures of 4 of my Halo 3 accounts, so here you go:

Akai_Halo_3_Service_Record.png

Lost access to an other 4 accounts, because I didn't bother writing down their Emails or their passwords back then. I still know the Gamertags of 2 of those, but the other 2 were wiped when I sent my Xbox 360 in for RROD issues and are forever lost to posterity.

OP
OP
Traxus

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
Era can still play online, just have to invite people now.
Oh I hadn't noticed that! Wait...that's cool, so Xbox 360 communities can still organize game nights and put together Custom Games, just no more matchmaking, file-sharing, etc.? That's actually not so bad.

Eamon

Prophet of Truth
Apr 22, 2020
I managed to get one last Halo 3 match in - myself and a bunch of randos. Everyone was just chilling around Foundry helping eachother get achievements. Really special.

When I queued up for the playlist, 117 players were there with me. So many memories were spent in this game, and its' sad to see its era end. But that doesn't erase all that time spent :)

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Oh I hadn't noticed that! Wait...that's cool, so Xbox 360 communities can still organize game nights and put together Custom Games, just no more matchmaking, file-sharing, etc.? That's actually not so bad.
As the image says.

Yeah, it's so bad that we are so used to things whole sale shutting down.

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Indeed. Basically the thing that shut down was Bungie's servers, not anything to do with Xbox Live. As the core of Halo 3's multiplayer (and others) uses Xbox Live's party service, the multiplayer itself is still working. The matchmaking (the system that organised match tickets to group players together in a playlist) however was an in-house bungie service which is why that shutdown.

Game servers have to be built with that in mind. Code base from the mid 00s cannot automagically do that.
Tell me about it. I had the fun job of migrating Quake's dedicated server protocol (the original DOS/Win Quake, that is) to virtualised servers. Getting them to launch? Fine, once we had container deployment working (though make no mistake, that was a real pain too, docker containers are hell to setup and we should have just used Windows servers to save on sanity). Getting any player to actually connect to them? I had to make changes to the code, deploy a build, find out if it 3 or more players could connect to it, then try again at least 5 times or more, until I finally had the networking migrated to allowed for virtualized port redirection. A thing the original code not only didn't know about, but actively was designed against entirely.

Last edited:

HTupolev

Oct 27, 2017
Yes.

The actual gameplay networking in 360 Halo games is entirely on peer-to-peer, and joining parties can (seemingly) be done solely via Xbox Live functionality. So the games should be playable online as long as Xbox Live is supported for Xbox 360.

Matchmaking and fileshare relied on centralized Halo-specific servers, which have been shut down.

OP
OP
Traxus

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
Yes.

The actual gameplay networking in 360 Halo games is entirely on peer-to-peer, and joining parties can (seemingly) be done solely via Xbox Live functionality. So the games should be playable online as long as Xbox Live is supported for Xbox 360.

Matchmaking and fileshare relied on centralized Halo-specific servers, which have been shut down.
That's so good to hear. I'm curious was it the same for Halo 2? How long did Xbox Live continue running on the OG Xbox after matchmaking was shutdown?
Indeed. Basically the thing that shut down was Bungie's servers, not anything to do with Xbox Live. As the core of Halo 3's multiplayer (and others) uses Xbox Live's party service, the multiplayer itself is still working. The matchmaking (the system that organised match tickets to group players together in a playlist) however was an in-house bungie service which is why that shutdown.

Tell me about it. I had the fun job of migrating Quake's dedicated server protocol (the original DOS/Win Quake, that is) to virtualised servers. Getting them to launch? Fine, once we had container deployment working (though make no mistake, that was a real pain too, docker containers are hell to setup and we should have just used Windows servers to save on sanity). Getting any player to actually connect to them? I had to make changes to the code, deploy a build, find out if it 3 or more players could connect to it, then try again at least 5 times or more, until I finally had the networking migrated to allowed for virtualized port redirection. A thing the original code not only didn't know about, but actively was designed against entirely.
Dude! That's wild. Thank you for the insight. It's always interesting to hear the trials and tribulations devs go through getting critical systems running smoothly that players often take for granted.

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
That's so good to hear. I'm curious was it the same for Halo 2? How long did Xbox Live continue running on the OG Xbox after matchmaking was shutdown?
It was the same for Halo 2, seemingly, but the Bungie servers shut down the Halo 2 servers the same time the original Xbox Live service did, so it didn't exactly matter. People could still play multiplayer as long as they were already connected, for a few days.

Vidpixel

Oct 27, 2017
So many fond memories with Halo 3, and the series in general. The Halo 3 launch was like nothing else at the time, those are my high school years for me.