• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
What can be more team-building than being able to take complete control but not doing it? The grace and restraint it takes to not do it without asking but always being able to. The trust and acceptance it takes to live your life knowing it can be taken.

I think it's different but I like the idea of it. I like the execution enough, as well. They talked about it consistently all the way back to episode 2 and I feel they paid it off well. "I trust you." Really liked the dialogue. I found her hovering over him like she was healing him a bit cheesy in execution but the actual THING that has happened and the situation is incredibly intriguing to me. It also plays into one of the overarching themes of what it means to be human. Which I think they continue to do well with.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Cortana being in Chief's head was a fine change in practice- especially since Chief spent so much time out of the suit.

It also made for good drama, especially since they are going with this mad scientist angle for Halsey.

I agree with UraMallas for once in that Cortana's choice not to takeover Chief, and Chief's decision to have her do it was great for their character development.

Especially good for Chief's arc because it effectively put a fork in the emo teen Chief we'd been witnessing for the prior 8 episodes. Now he was selfless and dedicated to the cause like the Chief we grew up with.

I just hope season 2 doesn't drag on for too long with Cortana and Chief being merged. Silver Team needs to locate Halsey quickly, so we can get the good version of Master Chief back.

Last edited:

btags

Oct 26, 2017
Gaithersburg MD
Overall I think it was just ok. There were some good moments, some bad, and the special effects seem all over the place. Somehow they need to get better locomotion and weight to the characters (both human and covenant), because as it stands it doesn't look great.

Also what the hell is wrong with streaming this show. My choices are watching it through the app on my TV where sound mixing is awful (good luck hearing anyone say anything when they have a helmet on) or watching it on my Xbox where sound mixing still isn't great (no idea why it is better here) but I get constant stutter. Honestly the sound mixing in general is pretty bad. You can barely hear people talking or music but any time someone in armor moves it sounds like the world is ending.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
Huh. Having watched it exclusively with headphones I've had a really great sound mixing experience. But if they didn't properly calibrate it for regular TV viewing through the helmet talk that's a miss.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
The suits must be a pain in the ass to move around in. Only Chief's stunt double looked particularly good when doing anything other than walking. When movements got really fast or complex, the transitions to CG looked really rough, so hopefully they more practical costume's next time.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
Thought the show was pretty decent - had a solid time with it overall.

The area the final fight took place in reminded me of something out of Unreal Tournament tho XD

Jan 4, 2018
Loved the finale. Halsey is the best character of the show.

I really thought Halsey was done. How stupid I was, I should have seen it coming.

Nov 8, 2017
Overall my opinion hasn't changed much.

Some episodes are unusually bad, but most are "ok". It still doesn't feel very halo-like, to the point where if you filed the serial numbers off (like character / faction names and the visual designs) people wouldn't be saying "oh, this reminds me a lot of halo!".

Performances are fine. The writing is average to below average for TV SciFi. The ratio of Drama:Action would be easier to swallow if it was good drama instead of middling drama. Any episode where there's a big action scene gets a much more positive audience response and that's pretty telling, imo, in terms of how underwhelming the other aspects of the show are.

The main plot is servicable, many of the side plots are irritating or boring. People single out the Kwan stuff, and that is bad, but frankly so are several other things - the Spartan angst and Halsey family drama are up there too.

Makee is the AI that controls the ring

Or gets loaded into a robot body as guilty spark or something lol.

Remark

Oct 27, 2017
I hope they just pretend the Kwan shit doesn't exist in the next season or at least put that shit completely to the side. That was the thing that dragged down the show the most like even they didn't even know how to fully tie it in without dedicating full episodes to each arc lmao.

Final episode was cool tho last 30 mins made a lot of the bullshit worth it. Pray Cortana doesn't take over for long tho, silent Chief kinda depressing now tbh

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
Petty me kinda hopes they go silent Chief for like half the second season just to say "is this your god?"

But, I doubt it takes much more than one episode to get that all sorted out tbh. The important part of what happened isn't the fact he is an AI-controlled mute. The important part is what the experience means for the Chief/Cortana relationship going forward imo.

hwalker84

Oct 29, 2017
Pittsburgh
Final episode was dumb. Entire final battle was dumb and made no sense. Enemies coming out of nowhere and stopping their assault while Silver Team sat there doing nothing.

Also the whole point of Cortana in proper canon was to supplement Chief in battle, not to take over his entire body. I don't understand why they've made the narrative choice to go down this road. Tell me Chief couldn't have done, by himself, what Cortana did in that final battle, if he hadn't had been nerfed for plot.

Also for a show that wants to shit all over its established canon, it's sure doing a shit-ass job actually creating its own. Why is Atriox there? Who is Atriox? Who are those Prophets and what is their goal? How is the war actually going in terms of UNSC vs Covenant? Why is this war happening? Why should anyone care about this Halo? None of this is explained in the show and it leans hard on the viewer having prior Halo knowledge to understand. Yet... tells us not to think too much about it all because this is a new timeline and everything is different. Makes no sense and is dumb. Don't even get me started on this 'chosen one' bullshit.

While I'm at it, I also don't understand why the UNSC was yelling at Halsey to shut off the engines 'or they'd fire'... only for the UNSC to stand there twiddling their thumbs while she escaped. Why was the military HUB of humanity (Reach) so unprepared for a single ship to fly away? How does that make any sense at all? Actually two ships, if you count Chief's girlfriend just floating on by just minutes earlier. Makes no sense.

This series has been dreadful and I'm absolutely dumbfounded that this is apparently the best they could have done with the Halo IP. So much wasted opportunity.
Pretty much agree with your sentiments but at the same time I'm enjoying it for what it is yet I still critique it.

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Earlier on I was really happy with the show and I thought some were being overly critical but it got worse over time in many aspects.

Even this last episode was overall okay but Cortana taking over Chief and the way he got her to do it - by almost getting himself killed - is so fucking stupid. Why didn't she fly the ship in earlier for suppressive fire support and have Vannak pickup the artifacts while Chief fought? And as someone else mentioned, Silver Team just ignored the Prophets floating overheard. What the hell is that nonsense?

And yeah I agree that the characterization of many characters - including Chief - ranged from bad to awful. I hope they pivot for Season 2 and have better writing and characters that are more in line with what we expect from Halo. The show is still salvageable but they gotta stop fucking around.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
Petty me kinda hopes they go silent Chief for like half the second season just to say "is this your god?"

But, I doubt it takes much more than one episode to get that all sorted out tbh. The important part of what happened isn't the fact he is an AI-controlled mute. The important part is what the experience means for the Chief/Cortana relationship going forward imo.

I see this a lot, but "silent chief" isn't even the game chief or the lore chief. The complaints were never "TV chief talks to much". TV Chief was completely governed by emotions, while canon Chief was governed by rationale.

The Chief people wanted is the Chief who puts himself on the back burner in order to save the world. He doesn't let a world ending artifact fall into enemy hands because his friend is hurt. He doesn't try to falcon punch a civilian's head off to get revenge. He doesn't fraternize with covenant spies. He very well may feel like doing those things (except the covenant spy thing), but he chooses not to

I feel like when people reduce complaints about this Chief to, "you just want a mute like in the games", they are missing the plethora of more important ways this character deviated from the source. Game Chief isn't even mute.

Chief is just stoic. He spends most of the game's by himself or chatting with an AI about the mission. So conversations about his emotions are never pertinent.

Deleted member 12009

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
First season had the unenviable task of laying out a fuckton of esoteric lore and exposition,and even though there's a lot of source material I can see why they left some of that behind to try to carve their own path.

I mean, trying to adapt the old lore 1 to 1 with its exceptionally dry military jargon and endless war stories might have alienated people who only know the games through multiplayer and skipping cutscene in coop campaigns.

For what it is, Halsey was done well and, hopefully, the Spartans being humanized early in the narrative will help make future sacrifices feel weighty. I'm optimistic about where they'll go from here.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
Rewatching and noticed two things that pretty much confirmed that the main brute is Atriox for me. One, he holds him up exactly like he does at the beginning of Infinite. Two, Chief shoots him in the lip at the EXACT place of his scar in the games.

Nice touch.

I see this a lot, but "silent chief" isn't even the game chief or the lore chief. The complaints were never "TV chief talks to much". TV Chief was completely governed by emotions, while canon Chief was governed by rationale.

The Chief people wanted is the Chief who puts himself on the back burner in order to save the world. He doesn't let a world ending artifact fall into enemy hands because his friend is hurt. He doesn't try to falcon punch a civilian's head off to get revenge. He doesn't fraternize with covenant spies. He very well may feel like doing those things (except the covenant spy thing), but he chooses not to

I feel like when people reduce complaints about this Chief to, "you just want a mute like in the games", they are missing the plethora of more important ways this character deviated from the source. Game Chief isn't even mute.

Chief is just stoic. He spends most of the game's by himself or chatting with an AI about the mission. So conversations about his emotions are never pertinent.
I get the complaints. It was a joke.

Jaaake

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I didn't mind this characterisation of Chief too much... all up until the point where he became Master Cheeks and banged a PoW. Or continuing to 'trust' her even after finding out that she was a Covenant spy and killed (I assume) hundreds of UNSC soldiers. Or when he called out her name in the middle of a battle with tears in his eyes, just days after meeting her.

I enjoyed the humanisation of Chief re. finding out that he was kidnapped (Kai too for that matter) though. But everything else tied to that was incredibly stupid. Especially Order 66. Or being taken completely over by Cortana for some reason. Just incredibly stupid.

Rewatching and noticed two things that pretty much confirmed that the main brute is Atriox for me. One, he holds him up exactly like he does at the beginning of Infinite. Two, Chief shoots him in the lip at the EXACT place of his scar in the games.

Nice touch.
For me it was the subtitles. [Atriox growls]

Why was Atriox even there, and why is his name only ever mentioned in the subtitles lmao

Last edited:

Buttonbasher

Dec 4, 2017
I'm just glad the season is over so I can stop gloom-reading people hatewatch the show that I enjoyed.

Frees up time to head back to gloom-reading people hating on Halo Infinite, a game I've been having a blast playing.

The 2022 Halo enjoying fan experience.

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
DEADLINE: Missing from the finale were Soren (Bokeem Woodbine) and Kwan (Yerin Ha), who seemed to tie up their season plots in episode 7. Are they going to continue on separate roads? How do you see them reuniting with Chief, if they do?

WOLFKILL: I think if I'd had my way, which I wish I did all the time, we would have had more episodes in season one to kind of bring them all back together. I'll also say that we do see this as a multi-season arc, and the universe is so big. In some ways, them finding their way back to each other down the road makes more sense because it's not a small world if you will.

We're still working on season two obviously from a script perspective. I will say we love all three characters – the Master Chief, Soren, and Kwan – and they all have such an interesting dynamic together. To me, that's something that I would love to see more of.

deadline.com

‘Halo’ Season Finale: EP Talks Makee’s Death, Season 2 Plot & “Controversy” Around Master Chief’s Love Life

'Halo' bounces back from a conflicting moment with an action-packed finale that sets new paths for John, Cortana, and more. Read the recap.
Sigh.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
I didn't mind this characterisation of Chief too much... all up until the point where he became Master Cheeks and banged a PoW. Or continuing to 'trust' her even after finding out that she was a Covenant spy and killed (I assume) hundreds of UNSC soldiers. Or when he called out her name in the middle of a battle with tears in his eyes, just days after meeting her.

I enjoyed the humanisation of Chief re. finding out that he was kidnapped (Kai too for that matter) though. But everything else tied to that was incredibly stupid. Especially Order 66. Or being taken completely over by Cortana for some reason. Just incredibly stupid.

For me it was the subtitles. [Atriox growls]

Why was Atriox even there, and why is his name only ever mentioned in the subtitles lmao
I assume he's there because he's a highly capable foot soldier before he becomes the leader of the Banished and they thought it would be cool to put him in the show. I personally agree! Helps that he goes toe-to-toe with spartans in core cannon as well so we know he can handle his own. This is an even younger version so he's really kicking ass at this time in his life.

deadline.com

‘Halo’ Season Finale: EP Talks Makee’s Death, Season 2 Plot & “Controversy” Around Master Chief’s Love Life

'Halo' bounces back from a conflicting moment with an action-packed finale that sets new paths for John, Cortana, and more. Read the recap.
Sigh.
I don't hate Kwan and Soren. They just need better things to do for my tastes. So, it doesn't bother me much if they keep them around as long as we get some better stuff around them. Bringing them back together could help. Fleshing out the insurrectionist angle better could help. There's things I could see them doing to save it so I hope they figure it out. Because if they don't? Then it actually WAS a waste.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, this finale had no Kwan at all, which is obviously good, but damn, really shows what a waste her storyline was from beginning to end

Makee dying also surprised me, especially she just had sex with Chief an episode ago, so I thought they'd make her this long-running antagonist/frenemy or something. But nope, just dead now... sure. Was funny seeing the Prophets admit they can't stand her tho lol

And Halsey's assistant dying, well, no one's going to miss him, so whatever. The twist of Halsey using a flash clone as a diversion was neat though. Don't really know how I feel about her being this straight up wanted criminal, would've preferred them to continue the complicated dynamic between her and John and Cortana, but that's pretty much dead now.

Outside of the combat moments, it was pretty middling for a finale. Then again, that was most of the show really. When it goes all out with the action, it's pretty great, very reminiscent of the games. When it's focusing on its characters and Blessed One subplots (god I got so tired of people touching that damn artifact) and what not, it's decidely... less great. There are the occasional bright spots like Halsey or Cortana or Kai, but the rest of the cast was largely dull. As for Master Chief, he's just not very likable or particularly interesting to follow. Only thing that saves him for me is having him bounce off of Cortana. I felt nothing over his decision to have Cortana take over his body. It's amusing how the show puts all this effort into trying to humanize him more and what not compared to Chief from the games, and yet it just falls flat for the most part.

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
don't hate Kwan and Soren. They just need better things to do for my tastes. So, it doesn't bother me much if they keep them around as long as we get some better stuff around them. Bringing them back together could help. Fleshing out the insurrectionist angle better could help. There's things I could see them doing to save it so I hope they figure it out. Because if they don't? Then it actually WAS a waste.
I'm concerned because I don't trust them to do better. But hey I will cross my fingers and hope for improvements.

Jaaake

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I assume he's there because he's a highly capable foot soldier before he becomes the leader of the Banished and they thought it would be cool to put him in the show. I personally agree! Helps that he goes toe-to-toe with spartans in core cannon as well so we know he can handle his own. This is an even younger version so he's really kicking ass at this time in his life.
The problem I have with this, is that Atriox is a 'big' character. As in, he's the new big bad of the series as a whole. It's such a waste to just throw him in here without a backstory or a name. The impact is gone. Like, compare his introduction in Halo Wars 2, to the first (or second) time we see him in HaloTV.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
The problem I have with this, is that Atriox is a 'big' character. As in, he's the new big bad of the series as a whole. It's such a waste to just throw him in here without a backstory or a name. The impact is gone. Like, compare his introduction in Halo Wars 2, to the first (or second) time we see him in HaloTV.

He's not dead. They gave him a scar here for a reason. If you want him to be a badass overarching character he has to be introduced. He's being introduced. And that looks great for a video game but he did just as badass shit in this version as he does in that intro to Halo Wars 2 but they had to make it much more realistic looking. Sure, the CGI failed them on the budget they were on, but I don't know what else you could want from his introduction. He also isn't able to talk yet so we can't get that piece from him yet.

This, to me, says Atriox is going to be a recurring villain in the show and he will have more badass scenes. I highly doubt they ever get to a place where there's a Banished and all of that so bringing him over to kick some ass serves the purpose of having a true foil as the show goes on and simply as fan service.

I'm honestly thinking they should just stop fan service at all at this point if these are the kinds of complaints they get about it. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. No, I take that back. I'm a fan and I loved it so I hope they keep doing what they are doing.

coma

Oct 28, 2017
First season had the unenviable task of laying out a fuckton of esoteric lore and exposition,and even though there's a lot of source material I can see why they left some of that behind to try to carve their own path.

I mean, trying to adapt the old lore 1 to 1 with its exceptionally dry military jargon and endless war stories might have alienated people who only know the games through multiplayer and skipping cutscene in coop campaigns.
After 9 hours of show, I'm not even sure what they've accomplished in their attempts at laying out the universe's lore. I have a hard time imagining viewers that aren't already familiar with the games having any idea what the central conflict of this show is, who/what the Covenant are or their motivations, and how much of a threat they are. If this show wasn't so generic/predictable, it'd probably be incomprehensible.

Jaaake

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
He's not dead. They gave him a scar here for a reason. If you want him to be a badass overarching character he has to be introduced. He's being introduced. And that looks great for a video game but he did just as badass shit in this version as he does in that intro to Halo Wars 2 but they had to make it much more realistic looking. Sure, the CGI failed them on the budget they were on, but I don't know what else you could want from his introduction.

This, to me, says Atriox is going to be a recurring villain in the show and he will have more badass scenes. I highly doubt they ever get to a place where there's a Banished and all of that so bringing him over to kick some ass serves the purpose of having a true foil as the show goes on and simply as fan service.

I'm honestly thinking they should just stop fan service at all at this point if these are the kinds of complaints they get about it. Damn if you do, damned if you don't. No, I take that back. I'm a fan and I loved it so I hope they keep doing what they are doing.
It's not fan service, it's throwing Halo shit at a wall and seeing what sticks.

It's like a bunch of people got in a room, made a script for a random sci-fi show, then looked at a list of Halo things and shoehorned as much as they could in. Without understanding the context or story behind those Halo things to begin with.

Halo ring - Check
Atriox - Check
Prophets - Check
'Chosen one' - Check (supposed to be Humanity as a whole inheriting Forerunner technology, but close enough)
Reach - Check (Reach city lmao)
Alien war - Check (I suppose?)

None of those things are actually explained in this show. They're just there to be there. Atriox wasn't introduced. Neither were the Prophets for that matter. They're just there because someone remembered that they were a thing in the games. It's uninspired and lazy.

trashbandit

Dec 19, 2019
The Atriox cg was borderline Harryhausen at points. I thought the Elites from episode one looked pretty decent, but that whole fist fight between Chief and the Brutes looked pretty rough.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States

It's like a bunch of people got in a room, made a script for a random sci-fi show, then looked at a list of Halo things and shoehorned as much as they could in. Without understanding the context or story behind those Halo things to begin with.

Halo ring - Check
Atriox - Check
Prophets - Check
'Chosen one' - Check (supposed to be Humanity as a whole inheriting Forerunner technology, but close enough)

None of those things are actually explained in this show. They're just there to be there. Atriox wasn't introduced. Neither were the Prophets for that matter. They're just there because someone remembered that they were a thing in the games. It's uninspired and lazy.
I knew I shouldn't have engaged. Have a good night.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017

Halo ring - Check
Atriox - Check
Prophets - Check

You don't have to handhold people and explain every little thing, shows having some mystery is a good thing.

I've mentioned this before but go back and watch Star Wars as if you're someone watching it in 1977 with zero knowledge of the universe, nothing is explained. Who is Darth Vader? Why is he wearing a suit? What is the Force? Who is Obi Wan? What are the Clone Wars? What is a Wookie? On and on.

You don't need to explain every back story of every element of the show to make it interesting. Atriox was a presence on screen and he kicked Chief's ass twice. That's a fantastic introduction and he remains a mystery they can explore later.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
Jesus, I read the interview with Kiki and it sounds like they might not even start shooting this Summer from the way she answers the question of when they will start for season 2.

Second season might be a long ways away. That sucks.

coma

Oct 28, 2017
You don't have to handhold people and explain every little thing, shows having some mystery is a good thing.

I've mentioned this before but go back and watch Star Wars as if you're someone watching it in 1977 with zero knowledge of the universe, nothing is explained. Who is Darth Vader? Why is he wearing a suit? What is the Force? Who is Obi Wan? What are the Clone Wars? What is a Wookie? On and on.

You don't need to explain every back story of every element of the show to make it interesting. Atriox was a presence on screen and he kicked Chief's ass twice. That's a fantastic introduction and he remains a mystery they can explore later.
Star Wars opens with a literal wall of text explaining its universe. Also, the opening shot of the two spaceships does more to convey the conflict in that movie than this show managed in 9 fucking hours.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
Star Wars opens with a literal wall of text explaining its universe. Also, the opening shot of the two spaceships does more to convey the conflict in that movie than this show managed in 9 fucking hours.
The opening crawl doesn't explain any of my examples and the show does a good job of showing what the Covenant are about in the first 15 minutes when they wipe out an entire town and kill everyone including the children. If you don't think they're a threat at that point I'm not sure what to tell you.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017

Nice touch.
Oh yeah. Probably why he has a bone to pick with MC. Nice one.

btags

Oct 26, 2017
Gaithersburg MD
The Atriox cg was borderline Harryhausen at points. I thought the Elites from episode one looked pretty decent, but that whole fist fight between Chief and the Brutes looked pretty rough.
Agreed. When he picks up the hammer and slings it over his shoulder, there is no momentum or weight associated with the movement. You would think lifting it up and throwing it over his shoulder would cause his weight to shift to counter the hammer, but basically his arm just moved and the hammer goes along with it, and don't tell me he is just that strong.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
Agreed. When he picks up the hammer and slings it over his shoulder, there is no momentum or weight associated with the movement. You would think lifting it up and throwing it over his shoulder would cause his weight to shift to counter the hammer, but basically his arm just moved and the hammer goes along with it, and don't tell me he is just that strong.
Yeah there were a lot of animations that felt they needed more sense of weight. I chalk it to not having enough time with so much CG for that episode. I can pretty much guarantee you whoever the animator was that they weren't happy with it either but these effects houses are on such tight deadlines these days.

coma

Oct 28, 2017
The opening crawl doesn't explain any of my examples and the show does a good job of showing what the Covenant are about in the first 15 minutes when they wipe out an entire town and kill everyone including the children. If you don't think they're a threat at that point I'm not sure what to tell you.
The Covenant killing "an entire town" of 30 people somehow conveys that they're a massive threat to humanity, to the extent that the dumb fuck characters they wrote aren't sure if they want to shoot the Covenant or the Spartans there to protect them...

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
Yeah there were a lot of animations that felt they needed more sense of weight. I chalk it to not having enough time with so much CG for that episode. I can pretty much guarantee you whoever the animator was that they weren't happy with it either but these effects houses are on such tight deadlines these days.

I also think the CGI in episode 5 battle looked better on the whole? Granted, it wasn't as big of a battle. I know they shot that episode 5 battle last so maybe it got a little more treatment. iunno.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
The Covenant killing "an entire town" of 30 people somehow conveys that they're a massive threat to humanity, to the extent that the dumb fuck characters they wrote aren't sure if they want to shoot the Covenant or the Spartans there to protect them...
They explain why they hate the Spartans soon after. Are you actually paying attention?
I also think the CGI in episode 5 battle looked better on the whole? Granted, it wasn't as big of a battle. I know they shot that episode 5 battle last so maybe it got a little more treatment. iunno.

It might be that. The same thing with the fight at the end of the first episode of the witcher. It was a different crew and shot at the end when they had a better handle on everything and it was the best fight in the whole season despite being in episode 1.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

IMO the first episode was a decent appetizer as the Covenant really ripped right through that town, but outside of that the show does a poor job of selling that humanity is in a big, decades long war with the Covenant. Part of it's clearly due to budget reasons, but yea...

coma

Oct 28, 2017
They explain why they hate the Spartans soon after. Are you actually paying attention?
That must be the issue, I'm not paying close enough attention.

IMO the first episode was a decent appetizer as the Covenant really ripped right through that town, but outside of that the show does a poor job of selling that humanity is in a big, decades long war with the Covenant. Part of it's clearly due to budget reasons, but yea...
Sure, on its own the scene would be fine. They just never do anything else with it. Like I said, someone watching who isn't familiar with the games, I'm not sure how they'd have any grasp of the scale/scope of the war, how long it has been going on for, or why it's happening. How that hasn't been conveyed in 9 episodes is baffling.

Deleted member 5876

Big Seller
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Liked the season. But holy shit the cgi in the last bits of this episode were sooo bad I thought they intentionally made it look like a video game for a second.