• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Voltaire

Sep 13, 2018
I don't follow…

I think people are passionate about Halo in general and want a good tv show out of it and they are disappointed about the quality of the Kwan plot.

I'd even go as far as to say, that they've told a less human story, by swapping the "radicalized child soldier" Spartans for "memory wiped and chemically suppressed Spartans who regain painful memories when they encounter an ancient artifact " and swapping the anti-fascist insurrection for "secret order of mystics fulfilling an ancient prophecy "

I think it's kinda funny to hear that part of the reasoning behind this approach was to tell a more human story.
ThankYou.gif

Man every change they made to the lore is for the worse. The concept of regaining their humanity after being radicalised to accept their role as weapons would be so much better. Also the relationship between spartans don't exist now, they're litteral chemically induced automatons with no real attachement to anything or anyone. It's boring and lazy.

Chimpzy

Dec 5, 2018
also lmao how one bullet blew up an entire gas pump megastructure. You'd think they'd have signs up or something at least.
Ikr, rather fortunate a stray shot didn't blow everything up when bullets and plasma were flying all over in the first episode. Would've been a really short show. Tho one might also question the wisdom of basing your armed resistance in a place with such a dangerous liability.

onyx

Dec 25, 2017
I never played Halo or even cared enough to pay much attention to it. I just wasn't into FPS anymore by the time it released.

Anyway, I watched all the episodes and thought it okay. Just interesting enough to keep my attention, but not enough for me to try and get others interested in it.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
I had a friend who would nitpick every flaw in the movies we were watching pointing out why things didn't fit perfectly. We stopped inviting them to the movies.

The Gold Hawk

Jan 30, 2019
Yorkshire
When Kwan and Soren split up to take out the fuel line, why was there a shot of her handing him his gun back even though he was already holding in in earlier shots in the scene? Really bizarre continuity error that everyone I was watching with picked up on. I don't care to go back through the whole episode to track the ownership of the gun, but I think Kwan was supposed to be holding onto it the entire time up until that point? Felt really sloppy.
Soren has a silvery/goldy revolver with him when he meets her at the outpost. He asks Kwan for his Orange gun back and she tucks it into her belt thingy.

She has it in there for the whole scene with the pump whilst Vinsher is on the loud speaker and Soren is loading his silver revolver. When she goes into the tunnel, he's holding the silver one in his left hand and she hands him back the Orange one.

Soren now has two revolvers. Silver and Orange (his first one)

Rice Eater

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not a fan of the Kwan Ha story, but it doesn't bother me as much as it does other people it seems. The last episode was fine. I figure her arc is now wrapped up and next time we see her she'll be crossing paths with Chief again.

Anyways, I've been really enjoying the show overall so I can't wait to see them get back on track with Chief's story.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
Blowing up something with one bullet is like a staple in TV shows and movies.

true, and I don't really mind the explosion. it's just that shows usually have a justification on why something is now highly combustible. like it's rigged up, or somehow got critically compromised. here they just...turned it on.

these huge open air gas pumps which are the backbone of the madrigal economy, when working as intended...are highly susceptible to total destruction from a single ballistic. and that's just a little funny to me.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
I'm not a fan of the Kwan Ha story, but it doesn't bother me as much as it does other people it seems. The last episode was fine. I figure her arc is now wrapped up and next time we see her she'll be crossing paths with Chief again.

Anyways, I've been really enjoying the show overall so I can't wait to see them get back on track with Chief's story.
I think sometimes what happens online is that you get people trying to outdo each other with how much they personally loathe a thing. So it gets ramped up and blown a bit out of proportion through hyperbole.

I'm not in love with the Kwan subplot, either, but it's not like it's an affront to cinema or anything. Just isn't clicking for me. I do think episode 7 went some ways towards helping me with both Kwan and Soren but still I need some more for me to really invest.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
true, and I don't really mind the explosion. it's just that shows usually have a justification on why something is now highly combustible. like it's rigged up, or somehow got critically compromised. here they just...turned it on.

these huge open air gas pumps which are the backbone of the madrigal economy when working as intended...are highly susceptible to total destruction from a single ballistic. and that's just a little funny to me.

It's worse than that. The pump was hooked up to an Orbital Elevator. In the Halo Universe planets are lucky to get a single orbital tether. They cost so much money to build in universe. Earth and Reach both have less than 10 and they're the most important colonies and economies in the UEG.

This is probably the only tether Madrigal has, or at the very least one of the few they have and now is been destroyed. The entire planet is going to suffer economically because of the destruction of it.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
How the hell do you casually go from "knocked out in the desert" to "back home across space having a party". How does that actually get written, approved, and filmed. That is not something you should leave viewers to imagine the dots between. That was utterly jarring. Quite honestly the single worst crime of the show so far for me, felt like I missed an episode or two of content there.
Soren seems to be able to just teleport between his home and Kwan the way its directed

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
Madrigal and The Rubble are in the same solar system so it's like a hop, skip, and a jump. It's not weird that they can go back and forth so quickly imo.

Last edited:

Milk

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Soren seems to be able to just teleport between his home and Kwan the way its directed
It brings up the issue of time as well. Same problem GOT7 and 8 had with the random teleporting. It makes time feel disjointed and meaningless.

Space travel in Halo isn't exactly instant, even with slipspace. So Soren found a ship, flew home, had a party, committed a raid on the UNSC, chilled with the wife, heard about the bounty, then flew back to Madrigal and tracked Kwan, right in time for the big battle.

That sounds like a long damn amount of time for that to happen. Did Kwan spend months chilling with the desert women or something? Kwan's journey throughout this episode seemed like something that could happen in a single week, but Soren's movement throughout the episode is something I would expect to take at least a month minimum, but two sounds even more logical.

Madrigal and The Rubble are in the same solar system so it's like a hop sip and a jump. It's not weird that they can go back and forth so quickly imo.
This makes it a little better, even if it's awfully convenient.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
This makes it a little better, even if it's awfully convenient.
It is convenient but it is also why I assumed they picked that solar system and why it's Madrigal and not some other planet. In original lore, Madrigal gets glassed and the refugees colonize The Rubble. I personally kind of figured they wanted insurrectionist world building and The Rubble is also too cool of a place to ignore. So, they co-opted Madrigal and The Rubble to use them as backdrop for this subplot in the show.

Dr Doom

Oct 25, 2017
Attention to detail, goes to a sand storm without goggles

Soren got the pre-order DLC Golden gun

Okay, so the Kwan Ha subplot is more like a way to explain geas to the uninitiated. Or at least that is part of the function. If I didn't know anything about Forerunners or geas before coming into this Halo show, I think they did a good job of peeling back the layers on that juuuust a bit. Of course they don't want to reveal all of that up front for your normal viewer but the hints were there with the geas being passed down through generations and the fact that the first of her line was 'visited' by someone 'not of this world'. The Librarian? Some other life worker? A monitor?

I think the episode picked up when Kwan went into her 'dream state' but I did feel like letting her story and Soren's story breathe on their own helped both characters out a lot for me personally. There was definitely not a lot of #haloasshalo in this episode but I thought they did a good job with what they had. I thought it made sense for her to fight Chief, a representation of the UNSC incarnate to her, in utter futility. Her being the insurrection, him being UNSC. And then the hand up from one geas (Chief) to another (Kwan) showing there might be something more important.

LOVED the representation of geas through her lineage. And who was at the beginning talking to the oldest ancestor? Guily Spark or some monitor at least. Another way to tie in geas as there ain't anyone in the universe that represents geas more than 343 and the other monitors.

It seems silver team jumping out of the back of the pelican together will be on Madrigal. I'm excited to find out how they are playing this out with the portal most likely being to Halo. My first thoughts are that they get a group together on Madrigal including Silver Team, Kwan, Soren, Halsey, Miranda, Keyes, Makee, etc. They come here and then The Covenant shows up... maybe glasses it? Maybe shuts down the portal and abandons them on the other side? Iunno. I'm starting to think there might not be a glassing tbh.

Regardless, I liked Kwan more in this episode. I do think this is what a budget action episode looks like. There was plenty of guns and shooting but it was all human on human in easily made sets or reused sets. Good action imo. I suspect they are keeping this stuff here partially because of budgetary reasons so they are making the most of it. Which was better in this episode for me than any part of the Madrigal subplot since the first episode.

I like Kwan more after this episode. I think I needed a focus on her plot. i never hated the actor but I think a lot of what I didn't like was just not knowing her enough. It's not perfect but I'm interested in what comes next for her. Which is more than I can say at any point before this episode.

Yes, agreed. I'm hoping this takes that annoying character trait out of her mostly going forward. The ending shot made me think "NEW KWAN, NEW ME" so I'm hoping this was showing her character growth. She got a ton of development this episode and most of it I liked. I was thinking they might do that but it was definitely heavy-handed RAGE to begin with. If she tempers her anger going forward, which given what she said to the mystics I could see happening, I'm going to like her more.

I was expecting the worse of this episode, but yes after the dream sequence her side of the story got interesting.

Last edited:

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
How the hell do you casually go from "knocked out in the desert" to "back home across space having a party". How does that actually get written, approved, and filmed. That is not something you should leave viewers to imagine the dots between. That was utterly jarring. Quite honestly the single worst crime of the show so far for me, felt like I missed an episode or two of content there.
I feel like that must have been something that was added in reshoots or something. Maybe cause of covid or they originally didn't plan a Kwan solo episode so they needed to add some extra stuff.
The whole part about Soren going back home could be cut and you'd be none the wiser

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
I can't believe they wasted an entire episode on Kwan Ha. It was so boring, probably the most boring TV episode I've ever seen--can't believe someone approved that storyline. And it completely disrupts the overall pacing of the show.
The episode has a 3.7/10 rating on IMDb, far lower than the other episodes of the series, so it looks like most people thought it was terrible, too.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
I can't believe they wasted an entire episode on Kwan Ha. It was so boring, probably the most boring TV episode I've ever seen--can't believe someone approved that storyline. And it completely disrupts the overall pacing of the show.
The episode has a 3.7/10 rating on IMDb, far lower than the other episodes of the series, so it looks like most people thought it was terrible, too.
Don't underestimate how many racist and sexist people there are out there. A whole episode focusing on an Asian female in their sci-fi show is going to upset a lot of the anti-woke mob out there. For reference see Kelly Marie Tran.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto

Taken out of context, it's not a bad episode of SciFi by any means. And the second half of the episode is way better than the first half. It's just not Halo.

And at this point, you really can't trust the ratings for the show. Let alone ratings on an episode focusing on Kwan who is universally hated. They're just not going to be accurate

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
Don't underestimate how many racist and sexist people there are out there. A whole episode focusing on an Asian female in their sci-fi show is going to upset a lot of the anti-woke mob out there. For reference see Kelly Marie Tran.
I don't think it's about the race or the sex. There are so many good and beloved female characters in sci-fi. Even in this show alone, Halsey and Miranda (another WOC) are good characters. Kwan Ha is just annoying, and her overall storyline is not needed. It could have been easily replaced by another storyline closer to the Chief's side of the show. They could have fleshed out the other Spartans instead of wasting screentime on Kwan Ha's story. I don't know, it's just a weird choice, and it's bizarre that they couldn't predict that people would dislike a character like Kwan Ha taking so much screentime.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
This. The episode was ok by Halo standards, despite most of the weird Soren stuff. We got character growth for Kwan and it seems like the "rage" that made her annoying af is gone now that she's had closure and understands her purpose.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think it's about the race or the sex. There are so many good and beloved female characters in sci-fi. Even in this show alone, Halsey and Miranda (another WOC) are good characters. Kwan Ha is just annoying, and her overall storyline is not needed. It could have been easily replaced by another storyline closer to the Chief's side of the show. They could have fleshed out the other Spartans instead of wasting screentime on Kwan Ha's story. I don't know, it's just a weird choice, and it's bizarre that they couldn't predict that people would dislike a character like Kwan Ha taking so much screentime.
We haven't seen her full story yet though. It's obvious it will tie into the larger story with talk of a portal and this:
ixsgxaO.png

Grazzt

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
Finally decided to dive in and watched 4 episodes, it's quite decent imo, not great but definitely not as horrendous as some people say.
Kwan's story line feels pointless, not sure if there'll be pay off. I hope by the end of the season we get to see Halo ring and season 2 happens all on the ring.

Seeing Master Cheek is definitely a bonus. Pablo is hot

cgpartlow

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
I haven't been too invested in Kwan's story but I really dug the last episode. Mostly because everything about it was new and intriguing. Also, while Kwan is a little bit of a wet noodle, Soren and his Destiny hand cannons is dope, and he looked like a real spartan on display in the set piece moments.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Sneak peak of scene from episode 7. Starts at 24:21

www.facebook.com

Halo The Series Declassified I Episode 7 I Yerin Ha | Yerin Ha joins Sydnee Goodman this week in #HaloTheSeries Declassified to talk about Kwan Ha's incredible adventure in episode 7. Plus get a BTS look at... | By Halo on Paramount+Facebook

Yerin Ha joins Sydnee Goodman this week in #HaloTheSeries Declassified to talk about Kwan Ha's incredible adventure in episode 7. Plus get a BTS look at...

Bit scared at the beginning what John is saying. But later he luckily talks about hope

Oct 29, 2017
We haven't seen her full story yet though. It's obvious it will tie into the larger story with talk of a portal and this:
ixsgxaO.png

Yeah, as harsh as I am on this show (there's only been maybe 2 episodes I've enjoyed) this was a cool scene. And as much as the Kwan Ha subplot has been pretty bad, this was actually one of the better episodes. And Soren continues to be the best character in the show (even though the timeline of events involving him was pretty badly edited here).

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017

www.facebook.com

Halo The Series Declassified I Episode 7 I Yerin Ha | Yerin Ha joins Sydnee Goodman this week in #HaloTheSeries Declassified to talk about Kwan Ha's incredible adventure in episode 7. Plus get a BTS look at... | By Halo on Paramount+Facebook

Yerin Ha joins Sydnee Goodman this week in #HaloTheSeries Declassified to talk about Kwan Ha's incredible adventure in episode 7. Plus get a BTS look at...

Bit scared at the beginning what John is saying. But later he luckily talks about hope
"Marry me Makee, let us show these trashy UNSC motherfuckers, and your religious nutjobs that we can work together!"

greengr

Dec 3, 2018
The Madrigal story is so boring and uninteresting it kills the show,theres so much good tv shows out there,i give them this season cause i am a huge Halo fan but they better fix that shit next season.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States

www.facebook.com

Thanks for this. That was a great scene. Got me excited for Thursday.

ngower

Nov 20, 2017
Just about caught up--really not sure if I want to stick around for season two. This doesn't feel like a Halo show and it doesn't feel like a good sci-fi show either...just kinda generic predictable tropes. The writing is horrible and I don't really give a shit about any of the characters--good or bad. Costume design is solid and some of the lore/world-building is okay, but whooooo boy they missed the mark on this one (in my opinion)

Buttonbasher

Dec 4, 2017
Really curious how they're going to fit all of the stuff I imagine they'll need to take care of in an hour long episode next week, but I'm excited to see things starting to come to a head.

Really got a kick out of this scene:
CQgkvsb.png

Last edited:

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
I am really irritated by the scene everyone is going to be talking about, but otherwise the rest of the episode was fantastic. Halsey is so incredibly evil, it is great. Never been this excited for another episode.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
First part was eh. I dont think that scene was needed also.
Last part of the episode was great tho. The fight scene was really well done. Also them showing Criterion for sure was for a reason and the Covenant knows where it is now.
Also Reach still looks amazing. They did a great job showing the city