• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
Really like Kai as a character as well. Very interested to see where she ends up by the end of the season. They can do alot with her.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah....not a spoiler as I have no idea, but I'd assume the season ends with Reach being glassed.

Only real question is do we make it to a Halo ring as that could cut down on the number of auxiliary / supporting characters...AND THEN WHAT WOULD WE DO WITHOUT KWAN?

:(.
A group of characters gets split up across the ring and then you have two or three stories overlapping on different parts of the ring. As for where the series is right now, episodes 2-4 sacrified spectacle for episode 5. I'd expect 6-8 to do the same for 9. If 9 is a banger like 5, then overall I'd consider this season a success. They need to shit or get off the pot with Kwan, though.

papertowel

Nov 6, 2017
The stuff with the Spartans and Halsey continue to be pretty good. If they nail the Fall of Reach, which at this point I'm pretty confident that's the last episode, then I'd consider this season mostly a success. They can cut out all the Kwan stuff though lol.

And I'm going to guess that most of the main characters escape Reach on the Pillar of Autumn so we'll be having Silver team, Miranda, and Halsey on Halo for season 2.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Really like Kai as a character as well. Very interested to see where she ends up by the end of the season. They can do alot with her.
Her human journey is a lot more interesting and feels a lot more natural than Chief's.
On that subject, Chief is one of the big misfires of this show, he only feels like Chief in a few moments. I think the whole emotional suppression stuff was a bad idea, Chief's story prevents him from being the character fans love and ruins any chances of telling a "who is really the machine" story with him and Cortana. I really hope season 2 course corrects on his characterization.
A group of characters gets split up across the ring and then you have two or three stories overlapping on different parts of the ring. As for where the series is right now, episodes 2-4 sacrified spectacle for episode 5. I'd expect 6-8 to do the same for 9. If 9 is a banger like 5, then overall I'd consider this season a success. They need to shit or get off the pot with Kwan, though.
This was already the case in Halo CE, multiple characters we're doing things separate from Chief, even more so when taking the novelization into account. Hopefully season 2 introduces Johnson, currently he's s glaring omission.

Bizazedo

Oct 28, 2017
A side effect of (imo horrible) decision to have the Spartans become Halsey's enemy / hate her is that it's also destroying Keyes (the father) as a character I like. He's now just as bad as Halsey.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
For me, the new characterizations for the UNSC characters is landing pretty much across the board. Events are definitely different and their relationships are different because of it but I'm excited to explore this in a way I probably wouldn't be if it was rote by the book stuff. I'd be going through the motions in my head more and watching it play out on screen where here I'm actively engaged in the scenes a lot more. I think. It's hard to know an unknowable. Anyway, I'm constantly thinking about what the new version of this or that character might do or might be up to. Trying to figure out motivations, etc. I think if I was just getting a retelling my mind might go into autopilot a lot more. For me, when something is different I'm like "oh! This is different. Better sit up and pay attention. What is the reasoning both from within the story and from the meta outside the actual show plot?"

I'm having a blast with it tbh.

MasterYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
A side effect of (imo horrible) decision to have the Spartans become Halsey's enemy / hate her is that it's also destroying Keyes (the father) as a character I like. He's now just as bad as Halsey.
I'm gonna give this version of Keyes time to grow on me, I'm hoping he gets really fleshed out before his flesh becomes Flood Food in season 2.

I actually really like Catherine Halsey being portrayed as this calculated monster, using everyone like pawns in her game of chess.

AgentOtaku

Oct 27, 2017
Legitimately amazing episode after a pretty mediocre Ep.4

Seriously, there were so many "Jesus... what a time to be alive" moments for me. I was giddy.

Like, holy shit, they fucking did it. They nailed it.

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
Her human journey is a lot more interesting and feels a lot more natural than Chief's.
On that subject, Chief is one of the big misfires of this show, he only feels like Chief in a few moments. I think the whole emotional suppression stuff was a bad idea, Chief's story prevents him from being the character fans love and ruins any chances of telling a "who is really the machine" story with him and Cortana. I really hope season 2 course corrects on his characterization.

This was already the case in Halo CE, multiple characters we're doing things separate from Chief, even more so when taking the novelization into account. Hopefully season 2 introduces Johnson, currently he's s glaring omission.
I disagree about Chief's personal journey. The games Chief was pretty one note with a couple of quips here and there and Chief in this show actually has characterization. I'm equally excited about his journey as I am with Kai. The biggest misfire from me is a lot of scenes with Chief are longer than they need to be to hammer in the emotional turmoil.

I still believe people who love Chief in games loved the power fantasy that he provides, as it was a first person shooter so it felt like the player was doing these cool things.

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
So what was the reasoning for them driving the artifact to the ship instead of having the ship fly to them?
My head canon:

1) Shuttle bay was open, people were running in and out, so logistically speaking, it would have been a mess.
2) A giant ship flying into the middle of the battlefield was giving me Black Hawk Down vibes, but 10x worst. I feel like you'd be an even easier target.

The big question you should be asking, is why did the covenant not target every ship on the ground first and strand the UNSC on this planet.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It took 5 episodes for Miranda to finally meet her mom... Halsey really doesn't give a shit lol

Though at least she cares enough to not want her to die

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
And I'm going to guess that most of the main characters escape Reach on the Pillar of Autumn so we'll be having Silver team, Miranda, and Halsey on Halo for season 2.

Honestly, I'm starting to get S3 vibes for reaching Halo. I wouldn't be surprised if the last episode of S1 is the smaller and larger artifacts combining and sending a signal to Halo - the last shot of the season being the lights/tech turning on. Then S2 being Fall of Reach and getting to Halo.

I'd love to be wrong though.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
So what was the reasoning for them driving the artifact to the ship instead of having the ship fly to them?
They'd get shot down flying right into the warzone.
I disagree about Chief's personal journey. The games Chief was pretty one note with a couple of quips here and there and Chief in this show actually has characterization. I'm equally excited about his journey as I am with Kai. The biggest misfire from me is a lot of scenes with Chief are longer than they need to be to hammer in the emotional turmoil.

I still believe people who love Chief in games loved the power fantasy that he provides, as it was a first person shooter so it felt like the player was doing these cool things.
For me his characterization feels incredibly forced and antithetical to who he is in the main series. The books, Halo 4 and Infinite all show that he is more than a one note character. On top of that his dry humor is a huge part of his character and we've only gotten a few jokes out of him. Genuinely the most Master Chief he's been all season was the big battle scene in this episode, but this came right after an act that would be MASSIVELY out of character in the main series. One of the most interesting parts of Chief in the main series is how closed off he is, he hides his emotions behind humor and stoicism and has a hard time opening up to people. TV Chief is overwhelmed by his emotions because of the emotional suppression plot line and this results in him having serious anger issues that do not feel like Chief. I think the only good thing to come out of the emotional suppression stuff is Kai's story.
Also constantly having flashbacks to his childhood doesn't make me interested in his journey, it feels contrived, they should have been sparingly used. This feeds into another issue, he suffers greatly from the tropey "chosen one" plot line with him conveniently being a "blessed one" and having seen the artifact as a kid.

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hartford, CT
Fucking wow, now THAT was the episode I've been waiting for since that episode 1 battle. It was so good. The goddamn Jackels having swords is such a brilliant idea that I'm shocked hasn't been done in the games. So many cool moments, they fucking nailed it.

AgentOtaku

Oct 27, 2017
Just looked it up and was surprised to see Jonathan Liebesman directed the episode.

He hasn't really ever had a hit or critically well received film, but he does have a good eye for action. See Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Wrath of the Titans.

So many greats, well framed/staged shots during the battle sequence.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Much better episode, but I still disagree with the Spartans not knowing their origins and Halsey becoming their enemy. She was a bad person in the games, but it was played in much more of a grey way....and it was awesome when the Spartan IIIs didn't share the affection the IIs had for her.

Kwan....ugh, I hate this subplot.

Action was great, though, and I am becoming accustomed to Chief with the helmet off. Kai is also great.
It never sit right with me that they do that in the games. There's nothing grey about abducting children, and the fact that the Spartan IIs were like "ah well, gotta live with it afterall so whatever!" with it and still had that motherly-child relationship with her felt weird.

Atleast this way they can have that mother-child relationship but with the context of exploitation and partial resentment being there in the clear.

Additionally, Halsey was just the Scapegoat because while she did do it, everyone else approved it and knew about it beforehand and she took the fall when the info became public. All that makes sense and they can just do that again here anyway. But atleast this way she has a more obvious complicity rather than just someone who was just doing what she was asked to do.

RandomSeed

Oct 27, 2017
I like MC's outburst and attempted murder, heh. He was kidnapped, his emotions suppressed, trained to be a killer and a valuable tool...why would he be instantly well adjusted and not experience rage at that revelation? That's on those behind the SPARTAN program, not him at this point. Allows for growth.

Bizazedo

Oct 28, 2017
It never sit right with me that they do that in the games. There's nothing grey about abducting children, and the fact that the Spartan IIs were like "ah well, gotta live with it afterall so whatever!" with it and still had that motherly-child relationship with her felt weird.

Atleast this way they can have that mother-child relationship but with the context of exploitation and partial resentment being there in the clear.

Additionally, Halsey was just the Scapegoat because while she did do it, everyone else approved it and knew about it beforehand and she took the fall when the info became public. All that makes sense and they can just do that again here anyway. But atleast this way she has a more obvious complicity rather than just someone who was just doing what she was asked to do.
It works because it's sold as for the greater good. It doesn't mean it's true (it's horrific), but people believing it's true means they'll act like that. If it doesn't sit well with you, well....that's good, it means you're well adjusted.

The Spartan IIs aren't well adjusted, though. They believe it was for the greater good as Halsey does and the IIIs are used as a countering viewpoint.

This way it just feels drummed up for more drama.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017

The info on the origins of the Spartan IIs never became public.

DemonCarnotaur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
They show a lot of behind the scenes stuff every week in the after show. Here's a Jackal head for instance.
IMG_1852.png

Ohhh I love the huge quill mohawk here

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
Just rewatched it for you.

Halsey: "Shit! Jacob, the Pioneer's gone and the crane is destroyed. Our ships are too big to get the artifact out of the canyon. You're going to have to bring it to us. Miranda's ship is the closest."

Totally agree with this. For me personally, this is a more realistic take than their relationships in the games/books just by virtue of that weird portrayal in books not being true here.

It works because it's sold as for the greater good. It doesn't mean it's true (it's horrific), but people believing it's true means they'll act like that. If it doesn't sit well with you, well....that's good, it means you're well adjusted.

The Spartan IIs aren't well adjusted, though. They believe it was for the greater good as Halsey does and the IIIs are used as a countering viewpoint.

This way it just feels drummed up for more drama.
For me, it wasn't that it didn't sit right with me. It was that I didn't personally think they pulled it off as believable. But I don't want to get too far down the book lore hole here so I'll leave it at that.

Last edited:

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Enjoyed the action, really wish Chief would stop putting on/off his helmet so frequently.

And I just can't with Kwan, if they're trying to make the audience hate her they're outdoing themselves.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017

Chief in the games is the same Chief as Chief in the books. He and the other Spartans actually had characterizations, that we didn't really get to see in the games because we aren't really shown what he says and does between missions.

This show took the opportunity to show Chief behind the scenes, and they chose to use it to redefine the Spartan program and as a result create a Chief is in many ways the opposite of the the Chief from the books and games.

This episode really hammered home to me that this Chief is a radical departure. The Chief from the books was willing to "spend" his life and/or the lives of his teammates/friends if their deaths meant the completion of a valuable mission. He wouldn't have ordered Kai to stay back and help the marines fight if he didn't think her potentially dying in that battle would be worth securing the artifact. THIS Chief jeopardized the mission, and potentially humanity, to save his pal. It's not the same guy. Both of these takes on Chief are common hero tropes, but they are on completely different ends of the spectrum.

Last edited:

Heysoos

Prophet of Truth
Nov 3, 2017
The app is a stuttering mess for me.

Same.

Loved the episode, the less focus on Kwan the better, right know I'm convinced the payoff for this whole Madrigal subplot will not be worth it. Hope I'm wrong because it is easily the worst part of the show for me. More Spartan interactions, less Kwan.

Bizazedo

Oct 28, 2017
i personally dont mind her tbh, the hate she gets is pretty wild imo
I think the reason she gets a ton of hate is one of her main character traits, the inability to see the big picture shown by her obsession with Madrigal's freedom, is normally carried by evil, flawed, or antagonist characters....a failure to see what's needed for the greater good. The Covenant appeared, murdered her father, slaughtered a ton of people she knew, and she's ignoring them entirely because Finch (whatever his name is) is now running Madrigal.

It additionally hurts to watch because we know the Covenant are a much bigger threat and annihilate entire worlds, so she comes off as an idiot kid who is trying to embark on a quest which means jack shit to us, the viewer.

Add on the fact that she's a new character who means nothing to us, and well.....a lot of people want to see Soren put a bullet in her head or just leave her so we can leave her too.

Imo, anyways.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
I think the reason she gets a ton of hate is one of her main character traits, the inability to see the big picture shown by her obsession with Madrigal's freedom, is normally carried by evil, flawed, or antagonist characters....a failure to see what's needed for the greater good. The Covenant appeared, murdered her father, slaughtered a ton of people she knew, and she's ignoring them entirely because Finch (whatever his name is) is now running Madrigal.

It additionally hurts to watch because we know the Covenant are a much bigger threat and annihilate entire worlds, so she comes off as an idiot kid who is trying to embark on a quest which means jack shit to us, the viewer.

Add on the fact that she's a new character who means nothing to us, and well.....a lot of people want to see Soren put a bullet in her head or just leave her so we can leave her too.

Imo, anyways.
Don't forget the haircut

Bizazedo

Oct 28, 2017
Don't forget the haircut
Haircut's irrelevant lol.

I think whoever created her / pitched her in the story wants it to be a long arc where she lets Madrigal go and focuses on the Covenant, MAYBE?, but....no one cares.

And that might even be wrong, but seeing how disconnected she is now to Chief / Covenant / Halo makes me wonder how they'll actually reintegrate her.....

Problem is until then, I just don't care and her scenes are fast forward bait.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
I think the problem with Kwan is that, yes, she's incredibly myopic like any teenager would be. The truth is she's portrayed exactly how teenagers mostly SHOULD be portrayed in fiction. And, it's just not fun. I'm totally Soren every time we're there. I want to be out of there. I just want to be out of teenagers' presence as soon as I possibly can.

I guess it kind of makes me realize that if they portrayed teenagers correctly more in fiction I'd probably hate everyone from John Connor to Jon Snow. And I don't hate them. Because they are mentally aged up on TV to not be myopic petty teenagers for most of the time they are on the screen.

The truth is that if you're around a teenager for 2 hours you're going to end up thinking they are mostly Kwans and not Jo(h)ns imo. Or, I should say, if there is any sort of hardship (inconvenience) at all.

EDIT: And, then again, I will say that teenagers will surprise you sometimes and we've had one of those moments EACH episode with Kwan. This time she moves the bike and hammers a piece off to get free which most any normal adult would probably figure it ain't worth it. But, I could see a teenager taking the time to do those actions out of spite/passion/anger, whatever.

I honestly think they've done an incredible job of making her a believable teenager and her characterization of that is pitch perfect imo.

I just don't like her. haha

Last edited:

Green

Oct 27, 2017
My head canon:

1) Shuttle bay was open, people were running in and out, so logistically speaking, it would have been a mess.
2) A giant ship flying into the middle of the battlefield was giving me Black Hawk Down vibes, but 10x worst. I feel like you'd be an even easier target.

The big question you should be asking, is why did the covenant not target every ship on the ground first and strand the UNSC on this planet.

I think it's because Makee is supposed to be infiltrating the UNSC to get the other artifact. So they wouldn't want to hurt them too bad. Otherwise they would have just grabbed the artifact thingie and glassed the whole place.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Now that Madrigal is completely irrelevant to the storyline since there's no reason for any of them to ever go back there after finding the artifact, they can just delete that entire plot altogether.

Right? Right?!

I just don't understand where it's even going. I don't care about Kwan or their struggle on that planet. I don't care about the hammy pro-UNSC guy whose name I don't remember (VInsher?). It's all completely disconnected from what is going on with the "A" plot too.

She's a kid with no idea what she's doing, who is only alive because of the intervention and protection of others yelling at other people to fight back because "muh dad". Nobody cares. It might be interesting if they actually dove more into the conflict between the UNSC and Separatists and Kwan was an actual leader with agency and stuff... but she isn't.

Whatever they are doing there, I just hope it's wrapped up in Season 1 and doesn't get carried over to S2.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
I think the problem with Kwan is that, yes, she's incredibly myopic like any teenager would be. The truth is she's portrayed exactly how teenagers mostly SHOULD be portrayed in fiction. And, it's just not fun. I'm totally Soren every time we're there. I want to be out of there. I just want to be out of teenagers' presence as soon as I possibly can.

Yes, this sums it up for me. Her behaviour isn't unrealistic - it just makes for an annoying as fuck character. Although Soren is an idiot for taking her to Madrigal to begin with based on flimsy promises of wealth.

Buttonbasher

Dec 4, 2017
I really don't think they're gonna do Fall of Reach this season. That feels like a multi-episode thing, and they wouldn't burn all of those sets in the first season.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
I really don't think they're gonna do Fall of Reach this season. That feels like a multi-episode thing, and they wouldn't burn all of those sets in the first season.

I think to do it right, you do it quickly and shockingly in a single episode.

My only concern is that little has been done to build up how important Reach is to the UNSC. Without doing this, the destruction of the planet won't hold much weight.

Buttonbasher

Dec 4, 2017
I think to do it right, you do it quickly and shockingly in a single episode.

My only concern is that little has been done to build up how important Reach is to the UNSC. Without doing this, the destruction of the planet won't hold much weight.
I think that'll get built up through the second season and if it happens, it'd be at the end of that rather than early on like this.

Also the characters now have a drive to go find Halo, rather than the normal timeline where Reach fell, and the Pillar of Autumn stumbled upon it without prior information, on a random jump to escape the burning planet. Reach doesn't need to fall in order to get the key players where they need to be anymore.

Also unless characters like Parangosky, and the larger UNSC/ONI figureheads are only going to appear on terminal screens going forward, using the existing sets as a base for their characters makes more sense than being married to the Fall of Reach, and building entirely new but functionally identical sets.