• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
I give up. I couldn't stand the first 15 minutes of this episode, that was so... mediocre on the acting and the writing...

Oh well, I gave it a fair chance.

Aiqops

Aug 3, 2021
Can Kwan and the entire stupid Madrigal subplot be glassed by the covenant please?

None of those characters work for me at this point. Overall the show is still super middling.

Compared to other sci fi shows like The Expanse and especially comparing the beginning of Battlestar Galactica to the start of this show is night and day. And Halo has a way bigger budget to work with. It isn't as exciting action wise and the characters aren't even remotely as well written.

Heysoos

Prophet of Truth
Nov 3, 2017
Love everything so far EXCEPT for Kwan. She's by far the worst part of this show. I hope it leads somewhere because otherwise she's completely dragging down the show for me. Her inclusion and Madrigal feels completely unnecessary so far.

Loved the Spartan banter, loved how unnerved Halsey is, everything else is working so far for me. When the little music kicked in, so good.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
I really liked this episode, even the Kwan stuff. I don't think her entire plot is there for no reason, it's going to tie into the larger plot at some point.

The Halo music sting was fantastic and I liked the fan service shot of him holding the helmet on his hip.

Kai was great the whole episode and I like that it's feeling a bit more like an ensemble and not all being about Chief.

The ending sequence was really well done with the voiceover leading to the last shot.

Can't wait for the next episode.

Apr 27, 2020
Is Cortana's model based on a real person?

I believe it's Jen Taylor herself

latest

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
Kai was great the whole episode and I like that it's feeling a bit more like an ensemble and not all being about Chief.
I honestly think I might want this. An ensemble Silver Team. I want Chief front and center but I would like the whole team to be more centered in this if possible. Hope it happens.
I think this was kind of a cool choice. It was necessary because of scheduling problems but I think the show is better for having this kind of uncanny Cortana where her mannerisms are so familiar but her face is off. I don't think she looks like Taylor or McElhone tbh. I'm not sure why I think show Cortana works but she works for me. The fact that there isn't a lot of hate after her reveal makes me feel like they might have stumbled but hit the landing regardless.

Now that I more fully understand that her movements are Taylor it makes me kind of be more settled with the interpretation too. It was different but familiar and I think this piece of info let it fall into place why for me personally.

AgentOtaku

Oct 27, 2017
Okay, I've appreciated the slow burn, but they REALLY need an action set-piece with Spartans doing Spartan shit, like ASAP.
The writing is nowhere near good enough to justify how much they're drawing things out and this show clearly had the budget.

I say this as a Halo fan of 20 years and am genuinely rooting for this to be a success.

Best bits were all the silver team parts.

I'm really starting to go cold on the Kwan Ha plot.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
I like this episode, but definitely the slowest and weakest one for me so far. I am interested in where the Madrigal story is going, but what we've seen so far is indeed not yet compelling. It's hard to see how they'll make Kwan Ha someone that people want to get behind. But I also think the show KNOWS that Kwan is unlikeable right now. Yes, she's human an plucky, but they make it a point to show how wrong she is at every turn and Soren is very liberal with his sarcasm toward her. So, we'll see. I think it has a decent chance of being good, in time.

My big "complaint" this week is in terms of pacing. It felt like we could have packed a bit more into this episode. Just needed a bit more to look forward to. The 1st episode ended on a big cliffhanger. The 2nd episode ends on Chief returning and the Halsey clone. The 3rd you're about to see this new place and the B plot is potentially ramping up and you get teases about how Cortana may play a sinister role.

This episode doesn't really have any of that urgency. Nothing feels like it's imminent and we have no sense of what to expect next. Kwan and Soren are gonna do a long trek through the desert to either get to transport ships or see the mystics. What are those and why do we care? We don't know yet because they're new to us. Not much urgency. Chief is in front of the Forerunner artifact. What does it do? We don't know yet because it's new to us. And it's been there for decades now, so there's no urgency. Kai, Miranda, and the Spartans are doing some behind the scenes work and looking into the languages. They've just discovered the idea of "Halo", but what are they gonna do with that info? We don't know yet. There's no urgency or anything specific to look forward or expect.

So, it's not that anything is BAD per se. I think that if we were binging this show, I'd be perfectly happy with this episode actually. It's just that as a vehicle to get me excited for what's next, this episode was not as successful. But at the same time, I think this episode puts us in position for an escalating and exciting 2nd half of the season. Overall, I'm still quite positive on this show.

Kai was really weird in this episode. I almost feel like she is going to snap and become an antagonist later somehow.

I was fine with Kwan before but yeah her whole story feels like wasted time here which is a shame. Starting to really like Soren though and he really helps improve her scenes for me.
I was totally waiting for signs that she was gonna make a move, especially in her scene alone with Miranda at the end haha. I don't think she is, but it kinda felt like she was setting Miranda up for something. I guess she set her up for some quiet burns. Iono, I like her though haha

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
Just a quick Kwan defense although I've been harsh on her. Earlier I stated that teenagers suck for the most part but they can surprise you. Something she HAS done in each episode is 'surprise' me. She's had moments of clarity that show she might be 'worthy', whatever that may mean. Episode 1 she can't do what Chief is asking her to do in the ship and yet, in the heat of the moment, she finds a way to make the simultaneous ship pirating happen. Chief even acknowledges the quick thinking moment of clarity with a respectful nod. In this latest episode she had a ton of teenage angst but she DOES get right that her father's closest ally was an informant by understanding that she is alive when all of her reports are not.

There is something there and I want to like it. I just have a hard time with her (accurate) portrayal as an angst-filled teen coupled with the gravity of the situation around her. I don't know how you reconcile the two effectively without aging her up for me.

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I liked this episode but I'm getting tired of the Kwan/Madrigal story too. I just want to see it concluded and see the show focus on the artifact and on Miranda's side plot.

SealedSeven

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Khan subplot is weakest but it can be fixed if the eventual tie in lands.

Halsey-Chief story is great. I do feel this may have worked better S2 ish than right out the gate. Have more time with Chief and Spartans to see how "Normal" they should have been. Was to quick for Chief to just break in episode 1.

Silver Team scenes were best of the episode. Seeing Kai slowly act more human, which actually in turn is helping UNSC into learning more on the Covenant is great to see. Shows having just machine, you miss out on learning details. However, come battle time will see if that distracts.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
Khan subplot is weakest but it can be fixed if the eventual tie in lands.

Halsey-Chief story is great. I do feel this may have worked better S2 ish than right out the gate. Have more time with Chief and Spartans to see how "Normal" they should have been. Was to quick for Chief to just break in episode 1.

Silver Team scenes were best of the episode. Seeing Kai slowly act more human, which actually in turn is helping UNSC into learning more on the Covenant is great to see. Shows having just machine, you miss out on learning details. However, come battle time will see if that distracts.
I get what you mean but I think part of the reason is because they didn't know if there would even be a season 2 and this is the real story they wanted to tell.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
Okay, I've appreciated the slow burn, but they REALLY need an action set-piece with Spartans doing Spartan shit, like ASAP.
The writing is nowhere near good enough to justify how much they're drawing things out and this show clearly had the budget.

I say this as a Halo fan of 20 years and am genuinely rooting for this to be a success.

Best bits were all the silver team parts.

I'm really starting to go cold on the Kwan Ha plot.
Episode 5. And this isn't about you specifically, but people need to realize that this show has like a $10 million budget from one episode to another. Every episode can't be giant set pieces with state of the art CGI, explosions, and massive battles. That's likely why Kwan's story is there. It's much cheaper to base an arc on Madrigal, since it's just a normal set with minimal CGI.

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
This episode was the weakest for me because of how boring it was. So many scenes could have been reduced in length.
And to beat a dead horse...yes, Kwan and her subplot is the weakest link.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
I've decided that the thing I hate VEHEMENTLY the most in the entire series is when Master Creep tries to kiss the Halsey clone before she gets acid dunked. There is just no reason for that. Do better imo.

Buttonbasher

Dec 4, 2017
I've decided that the thing I hate VEHEMENTLY the most in the entire series is when Master Creep tries to kiss the Halsey clone before she gets acid dunked. There is just no reason for that. Do better imo.
That dude's gonna get an energy sword through him before the end of this season, I just know it. Can't think of any other reason for them to include that, if not for setting up for a cathartic release.

Saifu

Oct 27, 2017
As many of you also agree, Kwan Ha side plot still fucking sucks and drags everything down.
Why can't this show just be about the Chief/Halsey and the UNSC/Spartan vs Covenant conflict!?

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
As many of you also agree, Kwan Ha side plot still fucking sucks and drags everything down.
Why can't this show just be about the Chief/Halsey and the UNSC/Spartan vs Covenant conflict!?
I want it to be about a few things but I understand why it's about more things.

EDIT: Btw, love the Ke(s)pler call back in ep 3. I doubt it means much but I love that he's about 'the stars'. He sees further than normal peeps. Which is on brand.

Last edited:

Fezan

Oct 26, 2017
This was a very bad episode. Whole Madrigal plot drags everything further down.

Also who on the show is fascinated by butts and naked people?

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I liked the episode, but I'm really glad that we're seemingly getting a big action sequence involving Spartans and the Covenant next week. I don't mind slow burn stories, but it's starting to drag a bit. I liked the moments with Kai this episode though, and I think the Chief and Halsey stuff is still pretty good. It's nice to see their story play out here since you really don't get to see it much in the games.

Also, a neat easter egg someone pointed out on Reddit:

bnqdinavait81.png

Last edited:

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I love how kwan is wanted and just constsntly goes around shouting about resistance

I found it hilarious how as soon as she started yelling those bikes came out of nowhere

I don't understand the point of that scene either. It's not even like he's some noteworthy character where that's a consistent character trait of his. It just randomly happens, and then the show moves on like we didn't just see that shit

Axon

Banned
Mar 9, 2020
Using a dog in your emotional flashback is cheating.

I overall liked this episode, but like everything else in this show it just screams wasted potential. I liked the Silver Team stuff, tho I dont dig the actress of the main female Spartan, I feel like she always has this super confused look on her face.

This episode was also a great example of how the show gained really nothing by having Chiefs face reveal be in the first episode.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
In re: to master creep, I think the Halsey clone is as close as he could get to the real thing so he tried to go for it.

He has a thing for her but he seems emotionally suppressed in a way? Meanwhile Halsey doesn't really show any aside for her projects I guess.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Can Kwan and the entire stupid Madrigal subplot be glassed by the covenant please?

None of those characters work for me at this point. Overall the show is still super middling.

Compared to other sci fi shows like The Expanse and especially comparing the beginning of Battlestar Galactica to the start of this show is night and day. And Halo has a way bigger budget to work with. It isn't as exciting action wise and the characters aren't even remotely as well written.

Yeah, A big budget can't change the fact that with this time timeline, they went with the most generic themes and characterizations they had available to them.

I can't imagine getting all this budget and the freedom to take massive artistic liberties… and using it to tell a story that just removes most of the flavor from the source material and adds no enhancement.

If this wasn't branded "Halo" it would not even be noteworthy… which makes the decision to ditch the lore even more of a headscratcher . Who is this show for if not Halo fans?

Last edited:

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The madrigal stuff is incredibly boring, just terrible all around. And now Kwan's family has some secret destiny? I just can't care at all.

The chief story also felt like it was mostly treating water. Just how often are they going to show these flashbacks?

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
In re: to master creep, I think the Halsey clone is as close as he could get to the real thing so he tried to go for it.

He has a thing for her but he seems emotionally suppressed in a way? Meanwhile Halsey doesn't really show any aside for her projects I guess.
Yes I was just going to say this. It's a clone of Halsey and they're trying to show he's in love/infatuated with her. Also that he's a creep obviously but it might be a reason he would do everything she says no matter how unethical.

Chrome Hyena

Oct 30, 2017
My only complaint is I had hoped it was a bit more fast paced. Otherwise I've enjoyed it, I didn't think I would though. So its a pleasant surprise.

Oct 29, 2017
I still really don't like how the Spartans were memory wiped and implanted with emotion damping pellets. That change just does not sit well with me, and they beat us over the head with it in every. Episode. At this point it just seems like a contrivance to allow for Chief to "rediscover" how he knew about Forerunner artifacts as a child because he is a "Blessed One" (which isn't helped by the fact that I don't like the "Bless One" plot line either lol…). It also just seems like a way to sow distrust between the Spartans and Halsey, which I'm also not a huge fan of.

Nice, Chief's putting the helmet on again, finally!
30 seconds later: Chief takes helmet off.
Me: "…"
The suit looks so good. I'm still not convinced this is Chief when he's out of it, so it helps when he's in it more.

Cuts to Madrigal with Kwan Ha.
Me: "……."

Cortana is great.
Seeing Mendez was nice.
Seeing the coin flip game was nice.

The needler is way bigger than I would have thought. Curious to see a Grunt try and hold it.

I really like Soren, I wish he wasn't tied up with the Madrigal plot line which continues to be the least interesting by far. I feel like I'm going to be relieved when it's glassed, which is probably not what they intended lol. None of this storyline feels like Halo.

Also, did Soren pull out a The Last Word handcannon?? Sure looked like one haha

Overall I think this episode was a really big step down from episode 3. Definitely the least interesting episode of the 4 out right now.

The best part of this episode is that the Blessed One wasn't in it.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
So the fact that Halsey kidnapped children to turn into Spartans, executed her own clone and estranged herself from her daughter wasn't enough. That had to make her kill puppies too? Like wasnt the whole purpose of the memory manipulation and the TV exclusive "Spinal Pill to supress their emotions? Why did Halsey need to kill kittens again?

New002

Oct 25, 2017
This episode was the weakest for me because of how boring it was. So many scenes could have been reduced in length.
And to beat a dead horse...yes, Kwan and her subplot is the weakest link.

Agreed on both counts.

I have been enjoying each episode more than the last until now when this one sort of pumped the breaks. The Madrigal + Kwan arch is just...not interesting. It's mostly boring and sometimes annoying.

I enjoyed all the other parts of the episode though, especially everything with Kai.

Oct 29, 2017
Another shot I noticed we haven't seen yet is when.

Chief and Silver Team are jumping out of the back of a pelican. The world looks like Madigral. So either that was cut from the original first episode, which is totally possible, or they are going back to Madigral for some reason. If Silver team is going back together that says to me something big is going down. Maybe they will glass it. Or maybe it is to stifle an insurrection uprising but they don't seem to have a ton of time to do that. Guess we'll know soon enough!

Honestly, this kind of scares me that they plan to glass Madrigal as a stand in for Reach. So they can keep Reach around. Maybe we don't get a shot of the Pillar of Autumn finding Installation 04 until the end of season 2… Makes me nervous that Madrigal is the endgame of season 1, and that would be super lame.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly cannot care about the Kwan and Madrigal stuff
Like Kwan herself isn't terrible or anything but man is it not interesting to me especially compared to the Spartan and Covenant stories

Kai trying new hairstyles is way more interesting than anything happening there

Oct 29, 2017
Glad I'm not the only one who thought of that lol. Aside from the color it was spot-on.

Right!? It really added to Soren's cool factor for me too. He's giving off some major Destiny gunslinger vibes and I love it lol

I enjoy armored warriors with cloaks/capes/jackets, plus I'm a fan of the actor playing him as well. So Soren is great. I just hope he gets to live long enough to be part of a better subplot than the Madrigal one (though I'm afraid they're gonna kill him protecting Kwan which would just be…ugh).