• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In the year 2020, I can't report people for spamming slurs in the chat in an online multiplayer game. A multiplayer game published and developed by Microsoft, one of the biggest companies ever.

What the shit?

It's absurd how many hoops I have to jump through just to report some people. Frankly its unnaceptable that 1. These slurs aren't auto-censored, and 2. Players aren't auto-kicked, if not auto-banned for using them.

After I post this thread I'm going to pull up Xbox live stuff and see if I can find these gamertags to report, but this basic and essential functionality not being in the game, even during a beta test flight, frankly, is stupid. There's also not really a good or obvious way of going back to a chat log after the game ends either, so I have to stop playing and scroll through chat to take screen-shots or off-screen phone photos.

image0.jpg
image1.jpg
image2.jpg

b-dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Fucking shameful man. It ain't right.

OP
OP
Gundam

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Newsflash: the video game industry does not care about hate speech as long as there is money to be made.

I'm not so sure it's about an unwillingness to punish players for this behavior - Xbox Live has a built in report functionality. That there is no direct way to do this in-game, as it happens is the problem.

It's a fucking terrible look either way.

Caeda

Oct 25, 2017
Danbury, CT
The fact that I gotta pull up a whole separate app on my computer to report is absolutely asinine. It's also infuriating that there's such a huge amount of bots in the for fun game modes, like damn I just wanna play some grifball with some fellow humans, not 7 bots.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I'm in a European airport, it's 6:31 am, I don't smell so good, Mr. Stark, I just fwd-ed this to the MCC team, but I suspect it's almost certainly already on a list of features - which I can't check right now, because Europe. It sounds extremely familiar though, so when I get a better signal than my 2g I will check mail at least and follow up in person when I land. What I can't do is give you any spewcifics right this second because I don't have them to hand and I don't want to misstate anything.

I can tell you with some certainty however that nobody on that team has any patience for hate speech or shenanigans - because it's not actually sitting on XBL tech stack all up - and passing through Steam and other non centralized systems, we can't blanket apply some of our platform level addresses that have been m,entioned here - or at least not immediately - but we also realize we can't offload that responsibility and that it's serious.

I will keep you posted if I can, or look for announcement or information from community/MCC.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
I'm in a European airport, it's 6:31 am, I don't smell so good, Mr. Stark, I just fwd-ed this to the MCC team, but I suspect it's almost certainly already on a list of features - which I can't check right now, because Europe. It sounds extremely familiar though, so when I get a better signal than my 2g I will check mail at least and follow up in person when I land. What I can't do is give you any spewcifics right this second because I don't have them to hand and I don't want to misstate anything.

I can tell you with some certainty however that nobody on that team has any patience for hate speech or shenanigans - because it's not actually sitting on XBL tech stack all up - and passing through Steam and other non centralized systems, we can't blanket apply some of our platform level addresses that have been m,entioned here - or at least not immediately - but we also realize we can't offload that responsibility and that it's serious.

I will keep you posted if I can, or look for announcement or information from community/MCC.

Thank you. Hope your travels go/went well.

OP
OP
Gundam

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Thank you for the response.

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
I'm not so sure it's about an unwillingness to punish players for this behavior - Xbox Live has a built in report functionality. That there is no direct way to do this in-game, as it happens is the problem.

It's a fucking terrible look either way.
Developers never want to actually hire the personnel and develop the infrastructure it would require in order to legitimately moderate these kinds of communities.

If they actually started issuing bans for every slur that gets uttered they'd cut their playerbase in half.

Painguy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
California
Yeah its honestly a pain the ass. I generally call em out via voice chat and they shut up Cuz they cowards. Or just tell them the obvious (no one gonna give them the attention or love they want irl by acting out like a jackass). They always go quiet.

The game is hella old tho and who knows how fixed in place the net code is. Might be waaaa outta the way to make that change. MIGHT

OP
OP
Gundam

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah its honestly a pain the ass. I generally call em out via voice chat and they shut up Cuz they cowards. Or just tell them the obvious (no one gonna give them the attention or love they want irl by acting out like a jackass). They always go quiet.

The game is hella old tho and who knows how fixed in place the net code is. Might be waaaa outta the way to make that change. MIGHT

it's not like MS doesn't have the resources

TheAndyMan

Banned
Feb 11, 2019
Utah
The n word is easily one of the favorite gamer words.

Edit: Racism, homophobia, etc are NOT fun and don't leave people with a good experience.

OP
OP
Gundam

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
image0.jpg

A report feature can't fucking come soon enough. I wish the worst of things on these people. Microsoft could pay me pennies to just stay all day waiting for these shits to show their asses so I could kick them off the service.

RedRum

Newbie Paper Plane Pilot
Oct 25, 2017
Question since I don't game on PC.

Is there not a way to record the last few minutes of what is said in game chat as well as party chat? I know for console you have an option to turn on voice with your captures and can capture like 40 secs to 5 mins. Then forward the capture via the website if for PC?

OP
OP
Gundam

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Question since I don't game on PC.

Is there not a way to record the last few minutes of what is said in game chat as well as party chat? I know for console you have an option to turn on voice with your captures and can capture like 40 secs to 5 mins. Then forward the capture via the website if for PC.

You can use the Windows + G shortcut for recording, I don't know if it captures voice chat. I find it clunky for stuff that just happened.