• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
So, while I always love to see games receive updates like this, I can't help but but think that 120 FPS is largely going to be a pointless addition for most people.

The overwhelming majority of people playing on consoles are playing on TVs, not PC monitors - and those TVs right now (like >99%) are 60 Hz panels. Only the most expensive TV panels from the last couple years ($2,000+ TVs starting in 2018) have 120 Hz panels, and if you have a Series X, you're also going to need a TV with HDMI 2.1 for 4K 120 FPS.

This may change in 5-7 years when HDTVs with 120 Hz, VRR, and HDMI 2.1 become more ubiquitous, but right now, the 120 FPS upgrade doesn't seem like it would provide much benefit to most players.

The adjustable FOV though is awesome.

I see your point but:

1.) 120 FPS mode should still give folks improved latency playing on normal screens

2.) (more importantly) This collection is pretty fucking great today. To see one of the most beloved franchises on gaming, being "future proofed" - its nice to see. They just need to keep improving the PC version, add some console updates, and hopefully add cross-platform play soon and they'll be set.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
MCC is so good now. I even love the added customization of visors to CE and 3 with more coming. It's not perfect as they need to fix the high frame rates on Reach, CE, etc. but it's beyond what my expectations were with this game in 2014 and we still have things like the custom games browser to come.

Flappy Pannus

Feb 14, 2019
So, while I always love to see games receive updates like this, I can't help but but think that 120 FPS is largely going to be a pointless addition for most people.

The overwhelming majority of people playing on consoles are playing on TVs, not PC monitors - and those TVs right now (like >99%) are 60 Hz panels. Only the most expensive TV panels from the last couple years ($2,000+ TVs starting in 2018) have 120 Hz panels, and if you have a Series X, you're also going to need a TV with HDMI 2.1 for 4K 120 FPS.
It probably won't be appreciated by a large audience out of the gate, but it would be silly not to have this mode considering the low resources the majority of the collection requires. Aside from perhaps the truly remastered version of Halo 1/2 which are the most demanding, every other game in the series will do 120fps at 4k on the X without breaking a sweat. Halo1/2 may require just a bit of dynamic resolution to hold 120.

They've put in the work getting 120fps to mostly work already on the PC side so it's not as if there's considerable developer resources going towards creating a new cut-down mode that only a small handful of people can enjoy, it's just letting the games stretch their legs.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Keep in mind that when the Xbox 360 launched in 2005 most customers were still on tube SDTVs.

I remember not being able to read the text in Dead Rising 1 and Blue Dragon and was basically forced to upgrade to a HDTV to actually make the text legible. The more things change, the more they stay the same. It's strange isn't it?

This may change in 5-7 years when HDTVs with 120 Hz, VRR, and HDMI 2.1 become more ubiquitous, but right now, the 120 FPS upgrade doesn't seem like it would provide much benefit to most players.

The adjustable FOV though is awesome.

There are 120hz 4K TVs that can be had under $1000 today.

HDMI 2.1 basically means 4K 120hz support anyways that is the big selling point for HDMI 2.1 to begin with, not factoring variable refresh rate, it's just manufacturers are picking and choose what HDMI 2.1 features to actually support in their displays.

The Sony X900H for example 65 Inch mode is on sale for $1000, the 55 inch version is priced normally at $950.
My LG CX 55 inch OLED I bought a month and half ago was on sale for $1,500, all four ports are HDMI 2.1 and support 4K 120hz out of the box with a without a pending firmware update unlike the Sony TV listed above.

These features are going to trickle down to even lower end sets and become much more common to regular / non-enthusiast users with next years 2021 models, let alone 2022 releases, not something in 5 to 7 years.

Last edited:

Korosenai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
crossplay and input based matchmaking when???? pc pop needs severe help and getting noscoped by mkb players is annoying. bring it on 343!

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
crossplay and input based matchmaking when???? pc pop needs severe help and getting noscoped by mkb players is annoying. bring it on 343!
Whenever Halo 4 is added. Crossplay flights are this week. Usually the update is a couple weeks after that but they may just wait until the 17th.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
The game certainly isn't a mess, and hasn't been a mess for years. Not sure what you're on about.

I asked Grips when the last time they actually loaded up MCC and they said back in 2014 at launch. Again the perception of the game having problems is outdated and hasn't been correct for quite some time.

The game has had a ton of updates with substantial improvements. A perception of the game since its release 6 years ago has changed significantly. Hell the game has been quite solid after the MCC Insider Program to playtest and improve the game which were introduced in 2018, which was two years ago.

The problem ridden Master Chief Collection released back in 2014 is not the same state of the game today.

Oct 27, 2017
I asked Grips when the last time they actually loaded up MCC and they said back in 2014 at launch. Again the perception of the game having problems is outdated and hasn't been correct for quite some time.

The game has had a ton of updates with substantial improvements. A perception of the game since its release 6 years ago has changed significantly. Hell the game has been quite solid after the MCC Insider Program to playtest and improve the game which were introduced in 2018, which was two years ago.

The problem ridden Master Chief Collection released back in 2014 is not the same state of the game today.

I'd go one further and say it's actually one of the better examples of preserving and celebrating a franchises history in the industry.

They didn't just fix MCC, they're bringing it forward with the times. That you can play this package of games on console, on PC, on a mobile phone via the cloud - all between each other via cross play - and on new generations of hardware on modern resolutions and frame rates, is an absolutely incredible way to handle their legacy.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
People have every right to be upset at how MCC launched, and was supported initially.

With that said - I hope those same people give MCC another chance because 343i has done some wonderful updates since then and MCC is becoming much better than what they initially promised.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
People have every right to be upset at how MCC launched, and was supported initially.

With that said - I hope those same people give MCC another chance because 343i has done some wonderful updates since then and MCC is becoming much better than what they initially promised.

They can be upset how it launched.
Speaking in the present tense and saying it's 'a mess' is incorrect, and several people have pointed that out now.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
They can be upset how it launched.
Speaking in the present tense and saying it's 'a mess' is incorrect, and several people have pointed that out now.

That's not what he said:

"Halo was my top game of all time as a teen from halo 1 to 3 but I just cant trust 343 with the mess they sold me." He never said "its a mess". He said what they sold him was a mess.

343i has done a great job of improving the game, and now they are going even further beyond. But once again - I'm not going to get mad at someone who was sold a somewhat broken product that took a long time to be fixed.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's not what he said:

"Halo was my top game of all time as a teen from halo 1 to 3 but I just cant trust 343 with the mess they sold me." He never said "its a mess". He said what they sold him was a mess.

343i has done a great job of improving the game, and now they are going even further beyond. But once again - I'm not going to get mad at someone who was sold a somewhat broken product that took a long time to be fixed.

By this point it just comes off as whining though. The MCC is already more than what 343i promised him, let alone more than what he originally paid for at this point.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The 7th gen LG OLEDs came out 3 and a half years ago and do 120hz 1080p.

There's a lot of sets out there that benefit.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Holy shit. Time for a full series rerun.

So do we know if 4K/120 will already work on day 1 on LG C9? So far there was no patch right?

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry about my ESL take but Veeps gets it, im too disappointed to come back!

Understandable, but I'm telling you it's fantastic now! Hopefully one day you decide to revisit it. I was playing the Halo 2 Campaign on the One X a few months back and maaaaaan - it was gorgeous in 4K.

Halo 2 Online still plays fantastic too <3.

MiDoZ

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
FOV slider. Fuck yeaaah!
Also Halo 2 remake had a terrible frame-rate in split screen on the one x

E.Balboa

Oct 30, 2017
Florianópolis, Brazil
About this whole FOV thing. Make it simple for us illiterates please: is the default too low? Too high? What are the practical results/benefits of messing with it ?
Any screenshots that show us the difference between settings to illustrate it?

Thanks whoever explains it to me.

T-800

Oct 30, 2017
This is great news but I don't see myself having a TV capable of this for at least 5 years. I'm not replacing my TV until it breaks.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Antagonizing Fellow Members; History of Trolling Halo Threads
By this point it just comes off as whining though. The MCC is already more than what 343i promised him, let alone more than what he originally paid for at this point.
No it doesn't just because you will blindly support 343 for selling shit like the original MCC and Halo 5 doesn't mean most people trust them. IT comes off as ignorant to pretend that they deserve a pass for how they have treated the franchise. They needed to turn around MCC and they did but that was the bare minimum they needed to do considering how they sold it and they certainly don't deserve the benefit of the doubt with anything halo related going forward.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I see your point but:

1.) 120 FPS mode should still give folks improved latency playing on normal screens

2.) (more importantly) This collection is pretty fucking great today. To see one of the most beloved franchises on gaming, being "future proofed" - its nice to see. They just need to keep improving the PC version, add some console updates, and hopefully add cross-platform play soon and they'll be set.
To point one, I wouldn't expect this. You almost certainly won't be able to turn on 120 FPS mode unless you have a TV that supports 120 hz, and I cannot imagine the game running with no vsync on standard TVs with all the tearing that will likely bring.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
No it doesn't just because you will blindly support 343 for selling shit like the original MCC and Halo 5 doesn't mean most people trust them. IT comes off as ignorant to pretend that they deserve a pass for how they have treated the franchise. They needed to turn around MCC and they did but that was the bare minimum they needed to do considering how they sold it and they certainly don't deserve the benefit of the doubt with anything halo related going forward.

What they've done with the MCC far outstrips the 'bare minimum', this has nothing to do with Halo 5 (which launched in a good state and certainly isn't 'shit') and was never about future Halo projects.

This feels like an intentional derail at this point. Can we not, please?

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
I hope the enhanced draw distance option from PC is implemented too, even if it ends up being for 60fps mode only.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
About this whole FOV thing. Make it simple for us illiterates please: is the default too low? Too high? What are the practical results/benefits of messing with it ?

You will see more to the left and right. Default FOV was "ok" for me but 10 degrees more will probably work best.

Apr 21, 2018
You need an HDMI 2.1 TV to play this in 4K 120 fps right?

You need HDMI 2.1 to get 120fps period.
Although some have stated that it will still help to improve input latency.

I would love to know the consensus on this too. Was the FOV a problem in the initial release? Do people have a preference to their FOV settings? I know what it is, but I'm not used to having it as an option and would probably play on default if so.

Chronite

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully this update will address the performance issues of Halo CE & Halo 2 Anniversary on Xbox 1 X. Ever since the Reach update these 2 games have severe frame drops and do not maintain a consistent 60fps. I played through the entire collection before Reach was added and it was a smooth experience all the way.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I think some older LG panels can do 1080p @ 120, with HDMI 2.0.

Early 2017 panels can. I have one.

Approaching 4 years old.

The lies about how new 120hz is for TVs needs to fucking stop.

Why on earth 120hz makes people so fucking angry is beyond me. 2020 is toxic af.

Hell there are 120hz X1X games like Battlefield 1.