• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
I thought a release day of today was a long shot either way, even if it'd be nice.

I just want 1. a release date and 2. some word about them addressing the armor customization options.

AlanOC91

Owner of YGOPRODeck.com
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
I really hate when a long awaited game is announced with no release date or even a hint of when we get a release date.

It's definitely my biggest pet peeves in Video Games.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
It does. There's only so much they can do in a few days notice. Revealing it early and opening the Steam page, that isn't much. If they were planning a shadowdrop, there's no way they could push that half a week forward, that's too big to change on a whim. If it's gonna happen, it'll be tonight.

My point was that they never intended to have a shadowdrop/release on a Sunday, because people wouldn't be at the studio on a Sunday.

Anyways, talking about hypotheticals here, while it already has been confirmed that it's not going to happen.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I really wish we got a timing and price structure.

I'm not holding my breath for play anywhere (and I'd probably rebuy it on Steam anyway).

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
I really hate when a long awaited game is announced with no release date or even a hint of when we get a release date.

It's definitely my biggest pet peeves in Video Games.

I don't mind it in most cases, but I admit I'm a little confused in this case.

Reach is a 5+ year old game being ported over to suped up modern PC's. There have to be some changes to accomdate the shift to M+KB for hte gameplay to not be broken and there is of course the netcode they went to be super duper sure is working properly so this isn't a repeat of the MCC's original release...

but all that said, I can't imagine what would keep this game in development for any lengthy period of time. I would think they'd know the release date and I can't think of a reason to not share it.

DorkLord54

Oct 27, 2017
Michigan

Reach is a 5+ year old game being ported over to suped up modern PC's. There have to be some changes to accomdate the shift to M+KB for hte gameplay to not be broken and there is of course the netcode they went to be super duper sure is working properly so this isn't a repeat of the MCC's original release...

but all that said, I can't imagine what would keep this game in development for any lengthy period of time. I would think they'd know the release date and I can't think of a reason to not share it.
I'm going to guess they want a full roadmap for all six games, so they're waiting to make sure everything is okay on that front so people don't have to speculate when each game is releasing.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
Screw this, I'm not sitting through another four hours of all this chatter on the HCS stream. I'll see what the announcement is afterwards.

darthbob

One Winged Slayer
Nov 20, 2017

Will be curious to see how they handle co-op and Firefight. In the original release, their model was synchronous lockstep, which meant that every client, and host, had to wait for AI, and such to sync up, which resulted in pretty poor input latency. Can't imagine that they'll completely overhaul that system, but hopefully won't be nearly as terrible as it was in 2010.

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
It does highlight the one issue I've always had with competitive Halo, which is that it doesn't take advantage of the full sandbox and limits itself to a small arsenal of weapons.

But don't some Halo pros hate the push 343 put on increasing the arsenal in Halo 5 competitive (especially for automatic weapons)?

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I like that the SMG/Plasma Rifle, in particular, are viable. For me the domination of one gun in previous Halos has always been a missed opportunity, even as I love the BR obviously.

I agree which is why Halo 1 was so good because all of the sandbox was viable. The assault rifle/pistol made sense, whereas Halo 5 had a lot of balance issues which is why a lot of people disliked the AR starts.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
I agree which is why Halo 1 was so good because all of the sandbox was viable. The assault rifle/pistol made sense, whereas Halo 5 had a lot of balance issues which is why a lot of people disliked the AR starts.

I felt Halo 5's balance was pretty good, especially relatively (e.g. compared to 3, 75% of the guns there were... what?). Boltshot and Suppressor aside (of the launch guns), and also adding the Sentinel Beam to the 'not so good pile', most guns are viable for particular situations. The pistol is obviously the nearest catch-all weapon.

Halo 1's sandbox was less cluttered, but the pistol is/was obscene, as was the sniper/shotty, given how much ammo you could get especially.

Vj27

Feb 10, 2019
Yes because spamming an Assault rifle in Halo 5 isn't fun to play or fun to watxh
Honestly I always hated how bungie treated automatics, used to have to force myself to use the assault rifle just because I like its design and feel and we go way back lol. But they were useless, automatics didn't have somewhat of a purpose until halo 2 and then again it was only because of dual weilding. Most time majority of the automatics suck. I do agree that 343's autos are a bit stronger, but I hope to god we don't go back to the pea shooter og halo days. I like actually being able to use a gun OTHER than the pistol or battle rifle or dmr or carbine if I actually want to win a match. If you wanted to make those guns the only guns then say fuck it and just leave those four since those are the only primary weapons that are good in halo terms. Why even keep the rest, just to look cool?

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I always hated how bungie treated automatics, used to have to force myself to use the assault rifle just because I like its design and feel and we go way back lol. But they were useless, automatics didn't have somewhat of a purpose until halo 2 and then again it was only because of dual weilding. Most time majority of the automatics suck. I do agree that 343's autos are a bit stronger, but I hope to god we don't go back to the pea shooter og halo days. I like actually being able to use a gun OTHER than the pistol or battle rifle or dmr or carbine if I actually want to win a match. If you wanted to make those guns the only guns then say fuck it and just leave those four since those are the only primary weapons that are good in halo terms. Why even keep the rest, just to look cool?

That's one of the reasons why competetive Halo and vanilla Halo need to be seperated from each other.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
That's one of the reasons why competetive Halo and vanilla Halo need to be seperated from each other.

The difference between base Halo 3 (spawning with an Assault rifle and a magnum) and competitive Halo 3 (increased movement speeds, Battle Rifle) is such a huge difference. 343 either needs to create a sandbox that is viable for competitive and normal play or completely separate it.

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017

Literally the only situation I'd use the AR in Halo 1 over the pistol is if I'm incredibly close and somehow have no access to the head (ie: flanking from behind and the dude is looking down, hiding the head)

Vj27

Feb 10, 2019
The difference between base Halo 3 (spawning with an Assault rifle and a magnum) and competitive Halo 3 (increased movement speeds, Battle Rifle) is such a huge difference. 343 either needs to create a sandbox that is viable for competitive and normal play or completely separate it.
I think just pistol starts work fine. There's so many good guns in halo 5's sandbox picking up anything can do a lot of damage to the opposing team. But yeah the AR is to godly, but lord I loooooove the smg. Feels so damn good.

The AR's range needs to be nerfed (which I'm sure they did way back) but I think they seem so powerful because of advanced mobility. Gone are the days of someone trying to escape your line of sight by simple ass bunny half a mile per hour bunny hops. Now they're thrusting left right, above, below, etc. in these cases an automatic is actually preferred... in halo... crazy I know.

The maps were still big enough to warrant long range guns as usual, but I feel like thrusters made automatics more important than they should've been. I still think we should have thrusters in infinite just not ground pound, ease up on the AR's range and power and increase its spread so instead of being the 1 on 1 I'm going to kill you up close king it could be hey I can put multiple shots on more people and finish them off with a br or pistol like the older halo days... just still don't make it a fisher price toy from halo 3... please don't.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
The difference between base Halo 3 (spawning with an Assault rifle and a magnum) and competing Halo 3 (increased movement speeds, Battle Rifle) is such a huge difference. 343 either needs to create a sandbox that is viable for competitive and normal play or completely separate it.

Obviously, vanilla Halo also needs viable weapons and I'm not going to argue that point. Having to spawn with useless weapons, while everyone else on the map has picked up precision weapons and is trapping you on your spawn is a horrible experience. You need to spawn with viable weapons and SMG/AR starts need to go away (especially when they are as bad as Halo 2's/3's weapons).

Competetive Halo was always about breaking it down to a minimum and that minimum was precision weapons and no Radar (and a couple other things, but lets keep it simple). It was and never should be about camping arround a corner with an automatic rifle and waiting for a dot to appear in your radar. Took way too long until Halo 5 changed that.

I don't know how the Xbox version works, but are you able to just install the single player portion of each game?

Yep. You can install/uninstall whatever SP and/or MP you want. Same for game languages, although I still don't know if you can uninstall them.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Hoping for release date news today, and especially hoping Reach is coming out real soon. Been watching videos of it on Youtube and even went to check my old stats page on Bungie's site and the amount of nostalgia is pretty overwhelming.