• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zonal Hertz

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
If we were looking at a late summer/early autumn Reach launch what would be the point of telling us now, instead of at E3 with more eyes watching and details fleshed out much more? Call me excited but it only makes sense in my mind that 343 is ready to get the ball rolling.

Agreed, even the rhetoric made during inside xbox sounded like Reach is very close.

Johnson

Jan 8, 2018
If we were looking at a late summer/early autumn Reach launch what would be the point of telling us now, instead of at E3 with more eyes watching and details fleshed out much more? Call me excited but it only makes sense in my mind that 343 is ready to get the ball rolling.
Because at E3, the focus is on Halo Infinite.

If Reach is very soon, why don't we have a date or a launch window?

Last edited:

superNESjoe

Developer at Limited Run Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Well if it's just reach this year, I wish they hadn't announced anything at this point. They must know most people won't like reach MP as much as other titles, so I really can't see it being such an extended roll out. If that was the case picking Reach first is truly cruel.

Reach is a really beloved game despite there being a vocal minority that (very loudly) hates it. It's my favorite Halo, and I'm ecstatic that it's first.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Reach is a really beloved game despite there being a vocal minority that (very loudly) hates it. It's my favorite Halo, and I'm ecstatic that it's first.

Ya, same here. Super excited that it's first and, frankly, I'm not sure I'll be playing much of the other games since I've already had Reach for a while before they're out.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
There has always been a very vocal minority that hates everything bungie does, but alway buys their games.
I think it's the sign of a passionate fan base

superNESjoe

Developer at Limited Run Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
There has always been a very vocal minority that hates everything bungie does, but alway buys their games.
I think it's the sign of a passionate fan base

Yup. I remember how much people hated Halo 2 multiplayer when it launched. I remember how much people hated Halo 3 compared to 2.

Except the majority love those games, there was just a weird loud hate campaign against both of them, and the same thing happened for Reach.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I briefly played one or two of the later Halo games, but I've been waiting for them to come to PC forever. I loved Halo 1 and Halo 2 on PC. I'm not interested in the multiplayer. For people like me, running through the series chronologically from Reach to 4 makes perfect sense. I'm here for the story. For the iconic, timeless sandbox-ish FPS experience.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Yup. I remember how much people hated Halo 2 multiplayer when it launched. I remember how much people hated Halo 3 compared to 2.

Except the majority love those games, there was just a weird loud hate campaign against both of them, and the same thing happened for Reach.

And daily for Destiny.

I love them all in their own ways, they are like my children. Good times all round.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia

Zonal Hertz

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
That's within the context of a staggered release (playing sooner, when one game is ready) versus a complete release (playing later, only when all games are ready). It doesn't really offer any insight into the release window.

Yeah also their waypoint blog states "Later this year, these classic Halo experiences will start to arrive on PC via the Microsoft Store and, for the first time in the series - on Steam."

Now I'm depressed.

Will just need to wait for Sunday afternoon.

kooj

Jan 19, 2019
Because at E3, the focus is on Halo Infinite.

If Reach is very close, why don't we have a date or a launch window?

I doubt that E3 2019 will be focused on Halo Infinite, as it is very unlikely we will see Infinite before E3 2020.

As for a date or launch window, I think we will have our answers on the 17th.

This was a very strange and almost impromptu announcement, so why begin the marketing and hype train so early?

Deleted member 420

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I doubt that E3 2019 will be focused on Halo Infinite, as it is very unlikely we will see Infinite before E3 2020.

As for a date or launch window, I think we will have our answers on the 17th.

This was a very strange and almost impromptu announcement, so why begin the marketing and hype train so early?
I thought Infinite was confirmed for E3 2019

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Staggered release. Does this mean we'll get milked for $20 a pop instead of $40 for the whole collection? Still day one.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Announcing it for Steam like that was likely the smartest thing they could have done. I'm so hyped.

ara

Oct 26, 2017

This is how I see it. Halo is Halo, they won't be needing extensive marketing campaigns or anything like that so I really don't see why they'd reveal something like this 4-5+ months in advance.

But we'll see this weekend, I guess.

jonnysniper

Feb 28, 2019
Could not be more stoked to relive those nostalgic Halo 3 memories on PC.

I wonder whether the Steam version will tie to your XBL achievements? Here's hoping!

sersteven

Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia
While its cool its steam and they're realeasing it at all, why even a staggered release? And the fact that its even staggered and that they're using each one for "feedback/etc" worries me more than it doesn't. Why weren't they just porting this before now? I'm also wary about the staggering in general. Really won't care about this Collection until its clear that its not gonna be years between each release. I really don't have time as a fan to keep hyped for a 4-5 year total release cycle because Microsoft doesn't want to dedicate enough resources to this to make it a more concise release.

Just tentatively hyped for now. Cool gesture in general. It just seems like this was a last minute deciscion that they decided with the Reach release, and how poorly MCC started out makes me worried in general despite the fact they EVENTUALLY fixed it.

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017
While its cool its steam and they're realeasing it at all, why even a staggered release? And the fact that its even staggered and that they're using each one for "feedback/etc" worries me more than it doesn't. Why weren't they just porting this before now? I'm also wary about the staggering in general. Really won't care about this Collection until its clear that its not gonna be 3-4 years between each release. I really don't have time as a fan to keep hyped for a 5 year release cycle because Microsoft doesn't want to dedicate enough resources to this to make it a more concise release.

Just tentatively hyped for now. Cool gesture in general. It just seems like this was a last minute deciscion that they decided with the Reach release, and how poorly MCC started out makes me worried in general despite the fact they EVENTUALLY fixed it.
There are six games running on five different engines across 3 console generations, and they have to keep everything intact, releasing it on a platform 4 of them were never intended to release on. It's a huge project they can not afford to mess up like the original MCC release, I'm OK with the cautious approach.

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
Can someone please explain me what the staggered release means?
On Steam there's a single package for the Halo Master Chief Collection, so I presume you'll have the option to buy each game individually or buy the whole thing for a reduced price. I mean, the game is 30€ on console, ODST is 5€ and probably Reach will be 5€ too, so the whole thing should cost 40€ I presume.

I also doubt they will charge 20$ for a single game while, again, the Collection is 30€ on console, 40€ for the full package.

Fiddle

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
How long was the wait between the MCC ODST announcement and then the release? Might be some general estimate we can get from that, even though ODST is a far smaller game. This is truly amazing news, but sadly I feel we will be waiting another few months for this. Might've been announced too early? Imagine the insane hype of a shadow drop.

Bombadil

Oct 25, 2017
Near the Withywindle river
Can someone please explain me what the staggered release means?
On Steam there's a single package for the Halo Master Chief Collection, so I presume you'll have the option to buy each game individually or buy the whole thing for a reduced price. I mean, the game is 30€ on console, ODST is 5€ and probably Reach will be 5€ too, so the whole thing should cost 40€ I presume.

I also doubt they will charge 20$ for a single game while, again, the Collection is 30€ on console, 40€ for the full package.
I assume there will be no option to purchase individual games (just the whole collection and the DLC for Reach's story and ODST). Staggered release just means that the games will become available to play in the collection one by one when they're ready for PC.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Forgive me if it was already answered but was play anywhere announced for this.

I just wonder if I have to buy them again on PC.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
are there release dates for all the games?

how staggered are the releases going to be?

wondering if i should buy them all as they come out or wait for the inevitable bundle once the whole collection is released

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Forgive me if it was already answered but was play anywhere announced for this.

I just wonder if I have to buy them again on PC.
Nothing has been announced. Rumours claim MS is preparing to officially launch Game Pass for Windows in the near future. I was under the impression they wanted the Master Chief Collection to be the flagship title. It would make sense for the game to be Play Anywhere then. There's a solid chance the Windows Store version will be Play Anywhere. The Steam version? Probably not unless they organized something with Valve.

m23

Oct 25, 2017

Pretty sure Halo Infinite will be at E3 this year, we already know the engine will be shown off. They've also indicated they plan on doing flight tests for the game early on, since the game is coming next year I would expect some news on that at E3 as well, maybe with gameplay.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Nothing has been announced. Rumours claim MS is preparing to officially launch Game Pass for Windows in the near future. I was under the impression they wanted the Master Chief Collection to be the flagship title. It would make sense for the game to be Play Anywhere then. There's a solid chance the Windows Store version will be Play Anywhere. The Steam version? Probably not unless they organized something with Valve.

Halo Reach is first and you have buy that either way, as it's not included in the main collection.

Thank you. Let's wait and see then.

Blue Ninja

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
are there release dates for all the games?

how staggered are the releases going to be?

wondering if i should buy them all as they come out or wait for the inevitable bundle once the whole collection is released
I'm pretty sure you won't be able to buy individual games: this collection contains all of them. You'll be able to choose what to install, but not what to buy. For the staggered release, they'll presumably just update the main client with the new game when it's ready. Think of it as an episodic release.

Johnson

Jan 8, 2018
I'm pretty sure you won't be able to buy individual games: this collection contains all of them. You'll be able to choose what to install, but not what to buy. For the staggered release, they'll presumably just update the main client with the new game when it's ready. Think of it as an episodic release.
They've said you can buy each game individually: "[the games] will each be available for individual purchase within MCC as they become available."

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
oh so its one payment and then when the games are released i'll be able to install them?

i don't mind that

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
Still think this should have been a selling point for the new, improved Windows Store. But good for the sales and many customers will like it, I guess.

Kiru

Oct 25, 2017
What if it's just "F2P" on Steam and you just start the UWP App with Xbox Live Login and then have In-App Purchases for each game.

sersteven

Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia
There are six games running on five different engines across 3 console generations, and they have to keep everything intact, releasing it on a platform 4 of them were never intended to release on. It's a huge project they can not afford to mess up like the original MCC release, I'm OK with the cautious approach.

I get that. And clearly its true because the Xbox One version gave them insane issues. I just don't know why if this was in the roadmap period, knowing how many problems they ran into with the XBONE version, why they didn't start the process sooner.

That, with the fact that Reach comes to PC first, again makes me think this was a last minute choice to coincide with the Reach release, which they were already considering putting on PC to hype Infinite (which is also getting a PC release).

I may be in the minority, but I think they shouldn't advertise it as a collection bundle package if its all gonna be separate releases. Just announce it, take the time it needs to release it all and done right, or just release them all as individual ports if they want to do that (EDIT: which it does sound like they're gonna let fans do anyway), and bundle them as the MCC once everything is out.

Trying not to hate. I can't wait to play Halo CE and 2 with my PC friends who havent played since the OG Xbox days, but I'm just skeptical. If it comes out this weekend by "staggered" they just mean a few months inbetween, with all the games being out by the end of 2020, and the bundle is a cheaper version to buy all the games, then I'm all aboard. But like I said in the other post, I'm just wary its gonna be a weird way for them to just market ports that will be spread out over like a multiple year span, and it seems like its just cashing in on fans hype for essentially a glorified preorder.

Vris

Nov 6, 2017
Day one on Steam for me, pretty excited since I have only played CE and 2.

Wonder if we are getting splitscreen, though?