• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
Destiny 2 is not a good Singleplayer game, certainly not the story (unless you spend hours reading through codex entries, baffling design decision).

Still, it's a good game. Great even, if you play with others.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
And here I thought a key component of Halo's encounter design wasn't just accomplished AI, but a distinct and meaningful variation in the enemies you fought. Enemy variety is something Destiny has been sorely lacking since day 1.
Also distinct and meaningful variation in level design and encounters. Like compare something like the desert level in Halo 3 that starts off as a sniping mission along a cliffside and then you drive to an interior area and fight there and then it turns into a tank level and also you fight giant robot mechas that you can climb inside. Or Alexandria from Halo Reach that has you flying across a burning city landing at helipads to clear out areas. Or the one where you're space dogfighting and then land inside a hangar to blow up a capital ship from the inside. And every game had multiple levels like that along with a much more engaging narrative.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Also distinct and meaningful variation in level design and encounters. Like compare something like the desert level in Halo 3 that starts off as a sniping mission along a cliffside and then you drive to an interior area and fight there and then it turns into a tank level and also you fight giant robot mechas that you can climb inside. Or Alexandria from Halo Reach that has you flying across a burning city landing at helipads to clear out areas. Or the one where you're space dogfighting and then land inside a hangar to blow up a capital ship from the inside. And every game had multiple levels like that along with a much more engaging narrative.
To be fair, this is a side effect of Destiny's encounters having to accommodate all of their weapon archetypes. But you're right, the functional result is that Destiny encounters and combat design are very samey.

I found D2's campaign to be a slog myself.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Good AI? Most enemies just stand there and let you wail on them or march forward towards you without seeking cover. That's not really a problem given the nature of the game, which usually focuses on throwing lots of enemies at you, but it's not something to claim as a positive.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Ah, the smell of a Destiny-hate thread....Its a tradition. Been this way now for 5 years.
There are a lot of things people like about Destiny that it does well enough. The campaigns being on the level of Halo games is laughable.

Also you could compare the campaigns to other popular FPS campaigns released this gen to see how it really falls flat on its face.

Titanfall 2, reboot Wolfenstein and DOOM 2016 blow it out of the water. If you want to be more liberal with the definition of an "FPS" you can include stuff like Prey, Superhot, Superhot VR and Mankind Divided etc.

Feb 21, 2019
There are a lot of things people like about Destiny that it does well enough. The campaigns being on the level of Halo games is laughable.

Also you could compare the campaigns to other popular FPS campaigns released this gen to see how it really falls flat on its face.

Titanfall 2, reboot Wolfenstein and DOOM 2016 blow it out of the water. If you want to be more liberal with the definition of an "FPS" you can include stuff like Prey, Superhot, Superhot VR and Mankind Divided etc.
I know. Might all be true as well (Especially compared to Titanfall 2). Its just that this argument has been going on for 5 years. Makes me laugh.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
To be fair, this is a side effect of Destiny's encounters having to accommodate all of their weapon archetypes. But you're right, the functional result is that Destiny encounters and combat design are very samey.

I found D2's campaign to be a slog myself.
For sure, some of it is inevitable due to the change in direction. That still doesn't mean it's on Halo's level.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
For sure, some of it is inevitable due to the change in direction. That still doesn't mean it's on Halo's level.
Yeah, it's not close. I think there's something to be said for a game to have the insane weapon variety that Destiny has and still lack combat encounter variety.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Yeah, it's not close. I think there's something to be said for a game to have the insane weapon variety that Destiny has and still lack combat encounter variety.
I mean Borderlands 3 just released and has even more weapon variety yet I found the campaign pretty disappointing lol

It does have a lot more mini-bosses that are all pretty great though so that's good.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly don't see how people think Destiny is Halo Evolved. It's a weirdly common sentiment for how outlandish it is.

I will say, the feeling of Destiny PvE is a mile better than Halo PvE. Halo might have it beat on story aspects, but the encounter design and combat feels so much better and more fun than Halo PvE. The only thing Halo has on it is its open vehicle battles. But even then, those peaked in Halo 3.

PvP wise, Halo is a mile better than Destiny. Destiny PvP is just insanely frustrating. Doubly so if you don't have the "good loot" for it.

Puck

Oct 25, 2017
Halo gameplay at its best is a giant sandbox, something I still feel Destiny misses entirely. In Halo, you're constantly given multiple options for how to take down a situation - different weapons to pick up, vehicles to hijack, paths to take through an area.

Imagine Halo, and then take out weapon swapping - imagine you're limited to only the weapons you have at the start of a level, and probably for several levels after that. That by itself is enough to kill most of the joy of Halo for me. Then while you're at it, take out 90% of vehicle interaction and combat, take out 90% of pacing variation (sniping vs sneaking vs guns blazing vs gravity hammer carnage), take out enemy variety.

Love the art and the shooting at least. I get why Destiny is popular and fun, but it's nothing like Halo SP.

Defect

Oct 25, 2017
Lol I WISH Destiny was like Halo.

Almost all of the "Campaign" missions are laughably bad.

Springy

Oct 28, 2017
Can somebody who says Destiny's enemy AI is good explain what's good about it please

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Halo gameplay at its best is a giant sandbox, something I still feel Destiny misses entirely. In Halo, you're constantly given multiple options for how to take down a situation - different weapons to pick up, vehicles to hijack, paths to take through an area.

Imagine Halo, and then take out weapon swapping - imagine you're limited to only the weapons you have at the start of a level, and probably for several levels after that. That by itself is enough to kill most of the joy of Halo for me. Then while you're at it, take out 90% of vehicle interaction and combat, take out 90% of pacing variation (sniping vs sneaking vs guns blazing vs gravity hammer carnage), take out enemy variety.

Love the art and the shooting at least. I get why Destiny is popular and fun, but it's nothing like Halo SP.

I think the sandbox comparison is good.

But the best parts of Destiny is even though encounters are designed to be done in more or less one way... they are very TIGHTLY designed. It's cool to have mechanics to a fight that aren't just aim for crit until dead.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
Where are the vehicles and vehicle combat? Where are the AI marine buddies with funny dialog? Where is the actually interesting enemies? Ammo doesn't even matter in Destiny, in Halo you gotta juggle guns all the time.The experience is not even in the same category let alone it be a replacement.

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
They just need to tighten the story and include a little bit more setpieces and it would have been the best FPS single player of the generation.

Not only are you wrong in comparing Destiny SP to Halo, you also say this, in a universe where TitanFall 2 exists.

Well played.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Destiny had good A.I. and balance for its opening chapters/moments and then became a bunch of bullet sponge enemies that walk toward you and barely flank. So much money wasted promise overall for me because Bungie still created some of the best feeling A.I. in the gaming landscape with reach and ODST.

SpokkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I actually gave a shit about Master Chief and the world and characters and story of Halo.

If Bungie literally exploded the Earth and everyone was eviscerated including every guardian and NPC in Destiny 3, I don't think I'd even blink.

Thats the difference for me.

Destiny's story to me is literally nothing. It is garbage. It is just shit in the way of me playing the game.

Yeah pretty much this

The story in Destiny 2 is SO BAD that it actually annoys me... so much that I have a hard time playing the story missions - i actually turned of the voice acting and it made the game less annoying

It is even worse than diablo 3 because they never shut up. That f***er Zavala...

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Nah Destiny has great gunplay and even art design but everything else about it sucks.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Marty O'Donnell score?
Even without him you can still get such a feel like it. It makes you realize a lot of the Halo stuff DID in fact come from Mike Salvatori and not only O'Donnell. He gets classical composition and shows discipline but a lot of the percussive stuff and the Halo 2 guitar pieces must've been something Mike did because there's some serious Halo 2 vibes in Vanilla D2's campaign sometimes.

But yeah if you want more Halo don't play Halo 4 and 5, play Destiny. It's really obvious once you actually put them next to each other with their campaigns. Neither is fully Halo but Destiny gets the feel down much faster than Halo 4/5 do, especially 5.

Deleted member 49438

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 7, 2018
I played Destiny 2 at launch and was extremely disappointed (for context I had not played Destiny 1 and haven't played a Halo game since Halo 3). Wouldn't put this in remotely the same league as the first few Halo campaigns. Maybe it gets better after some expansions, but I'm not paying to find out.

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
Halo has good enemy encounter dynamics with how different the enemies are mechanically like with classic DOOM enemies but Destiny does not have interesting encounters in the same way because the balance is way off unlike Heroic difficulty in Halo.

X-Peaceman-X

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Nooo chance mate. Just Lord Shaxx alone has more character than Master Chief ever had, let alone the rest of the Destiny cast (which can be quite hit and miss).
Ok this is just wrong man, take this back please!
Lord shaxx and his one liners I enjoy but he pales in comparison to the man the myth the legend.
"To give the covenant back their bomb"
That one line has more power than any little joke or hammer shaxx has ever slung!

Total Cereal

Oct 28, 2017
I like Halo's SP in part due to its story, linearity, and simplicity. No upgrades, no side quests, no timed events, just a level with a point a and b. How you get there is up to you. Have fun.

I tried out Destiny 2 when it went F2P recently and I was just lost. Where do I go, what mission do I do next, what's going on with the story, etc. Sure the gunplay is Halo-esque, but if the rest of it isn't fun then I don't care.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Destiny's environments are terrible. Hallways and corridors opening up into small little play spaces.

Beautiful to look at, but horribly small and poorly designed.

I think some of their environments in the original Halo were larger and more interesting than most of Destiny 2's planets.

OP
OP
Fezan

Fezan

Oct 26, 2017
Not only are you wrong in comparing Destiny SP to Halo, you also say this, in a universe where TitanFall 2 exists.

Well played.
Just finished TF2. I loved the game when I was traversing Environments and jumping wall to wall but didn't like shooting at all neither did I had fun fighting titans.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
Destiny doesn't even replace multiplayer halo, destiny 2's pvp is hot trash as well. There is no balance. Maps are utter shit. Net code is a joke. It's probably the worst pvp experience in a major video game at present. Single player? Absolute garbage, like why you would play this by yourself ever? PVP? there are dozens of other games to play that are not an afterthought.

It's a purely pve grind-a-ton game. It doesn't replace anything Halo, I wish it did. but nope.

Buff Beefbroth

Chicken Chaser
Apr 12, 2018
I've tried several hours of Destiny and Destiny 2 and in both games I never fucking understood what I was supposed to be doing next and why.

So nah.

The Living Tribunal

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Destiny doesn't even replace multiplayer halo, destiny 2's pvp is hot trash as well. There is no balance. Maps are utter shit. Net code is a joke. It's probably the worst pvp experience in a major video game at present. It's a purely pve grind-a-ton.

Never forget: Revelry 2019

d2-the-revelry-gif-1-kyber3000.gif