• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Candescence

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Attempted to use a controller/mouse hybrid control setup on PC. Was instantly disappointed when I discovered that controller input immediately disables the mouse, and vice-versa.

Seriously, not being able to mix controller and mouse/keyboard inputs is a huge cardinal sin for PC ports these days what with the Steam Controller and the gyro controls on the Switch Pro and DS4 being a thing, and also frustrating for someone like myself who likes to experiment with controller/mouse hybrid setups.

I left a negative Steam review if only to raise awareness of the issue, because it is extremely disappointing for 343 to fuck that up.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know why anyone who cares even a little about audio would bother playing the campaign in its current state. It sounds ridiculously bad and completely screws the presentation. They can't afford to leave it like this for another few weeks.

You know it's bad when every second post is mentioning it, normally audio issues are swept under the rug and ignored unless they are extremely noticeable.
Yea it's fucked. The worst thing though is people in here minimizing the issues and basically telling people "it's fine deal with it".

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
A fix for the audio issues definitely needs to be prioritized above everything else at the moment. The muffled sounds aren't bothering me too much because I've already played the game a ton over the years and don't need to hear everything, but if this were my first time playing through, it'd be unbearable, especially with the lack of subtitles outside of cutscenes. Chances are new folks are missing out on a lot of dialogue. I know they said it'll take some time to fix, but I hope they make sure to put it above the other problems, aside from anything legitimately game-breaking.

Pasha

Banned
Jan 27, 2018
Attempted to use a controller/mouse hybrid control setup on PC. Was instantly disappointed when I discovered that controller input immediately disables the mouse, and vice-versa.

Seriously, not being able to mix controller and mouse/keyboard inputs is a huge cardinal sin for PC ports these days what with the Steam Controller and the gyro controls on the Switch Pro and DS4 being a thing, and also frustrating for someone like myself who likes to experiment with controller/mouse hybrid setups.

I left a negative Steam review if only to raise awareness of the issue, because it is extremely disappointing for 343 to fuck that up.
This is not a bug, it's a feature. They will more than likely do cross-play with Xbox and they will not allow you do queue up against controller only players while you're playing with a mouse.
How's MKB? Good, or using a controller better?

Talking about for single player.
MKB is fantastic, I just finished up a legendary solo campaign yesterday and there were no issues what so ever.

Candescence

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is not a bug, it's a feature. They will more than likely do cross-play with Xbox and they will not allow you do queue up against controller only players while you're playing with a mouse.
Then they should just disable mouse input entirely in controller-only matchmaking, it's not that hard. PC players using mouse aren't gonna bother attempting to work around it to stomp controller-only lobbies, it ain't worth the effort, you're either gonna be at risk of cheating or you're gonna be using a mouse to emulate a right stick, and that feels dreadful to play with - and the folks who really want to stomp everyone with no effort will just use an aimbot anyway if one exists. Let the folks who want to mix control inputs have their fun.

Last edited:

TheRed

Oct 31, 2017

This is really disappointing for me too as a steam controller user too. :( going with all keyboard bindings on the controller and it works alright at least.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
I still need to play online matches, but it's kind of clear that mouse aiming, and being able to aim, jump, and attack at the same time, breaks a good deal of the game's balance over it's knee.

I have to wonder if Halo Infinite will try to tweak the balance for KbM play vs controller play. Sadly, it probably won't.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Got called a controller aimbotter yesterday in snipers for going 22:9. People are gonna use aim assist to blame their lack of skill I see

KamenRiderEra

Oct 25, 2017
A better comparison would be H5 to D2. Much more in keeping with current design trends in FPS, but with the same core Halo stuff (no slow down on ADS, map control, holy trinity, descope, etc).
Im eager to play the newest releases. Infinite should be amazing. And I was planning to play the entire series in preparation for the new game. However, if all the old games feel like Reach, I just don't see myself enduring it. Enamored in D2 right now in a way that just spoils other shooters.

TheRed

Oct 31, 2017

MKB is fantastic, I just finished up a legendary solo campaign yesterday and there were no issues what so ever.
It works really well in Modern Warfare. With mixed inputs on the steam controllers it locks me into the keyboard and mouse setting which only matches against keyboard and mouse players but my mixed inputs still work and it's really nice.

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Couple of things..

Push to talk is J on KB/M ... there is no option on controller?
I can't seem to make the team voice chat come through the headset like the game audio?

WormNeck

Oct 31, 2017
Once I got my bindings and settings dialed in, I was in the zone. This game feels amazing and I'm having a blast. Can't wait to play more

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
It's also just so weird how this game manages to play so archaically. Like how getting shot while zooming in forces you out of scope, or having to stop in order to crouch, or how there's only one controller binding that plays like any other shooter. It's fine, I guess, but it's clear everyone who cribbed Halo's schtick realized how counter-intuitive it can be.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's also just so weird how this game manages to play so archaically. Like how getting shot while zooming in forces you out of scope, or having to stop in order to crouch, or how there's only one controller binding that plays like any other shooter. It's fine, I guess, but it's clear everyone who cribbed Halo's schtick realized how counter-intuitive it can be.

descope is so vital to the games balance, as shown by Halo 4's awful lack of it. Especially in an environment where you're mixing controller and M + KB.

rebelcrusader

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

lol wut

Nov 2, 2017
Has there been anyway to mod the game and get all the armor for single player use on pc? A friend of mine wants to know and doesn't want to play online to unlock the armor

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Ugh, going against 3-4 player squads in BTB objective modes is just the fucking worst. Wish there was a toggle to never put me in same games with squads, I'm sure the population is high enough for that anyway.

Jun 2, 2019
From someone like me playing Halo since 2001 on the OG Xbox this is so cool to read, and seeing all of this happening in masses...on Steam!

Prepare for the "Great Journey" ahead ;)

Yeah, i'm pretty hyped for it actually :3. Aiming to finish Reach before next year and give multiplayer a go.

Got it on Steam precisely, btw. Kinda get the feeling that this game will benefit from gyro a lot, despite being the series supposedly designed with dual stick in mind (Not a fan of KBM)

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
Im eager to play the newest releases. Infinite should be amazing. And I was planning to play the entire series in preparation for the new game. However, if all the old games feel like Reach, I just don't see myself enduring it. Enamored in D2 right now in a way that just spoils other shooters.

They don't. That's not to say you'll like them, ofc, but Reach is an idiosyncratic Halo!

ara

Oct 26, 2017
I feel like most Halo players don't know how to play the objective.

Oh yeah for sure lol. It's at least somewhat tolerable when the vast majority of both sides don't seem to care about nothing else but getting kills, but oh man, when you go against an even slightly coordinated party of 4. It's pretty much a guaranteed loss.

Anyway, I'm starting to get back in the groove again, remembering why it is that I loved Reach so much back in the day, even with all of its problems. If (hopefully when) they add multi-team and fix the audio, I can definitely see myself playing this for dozens and dozens of hours over the next months.

Flappy Pannus

Feb 14, 2019
Yeah the audio seems to be getting worse. At the start of the game it was fine, everything seemed clear - but when the action heats up it's just a mess, my soundbar sounds like a laptop speaker.

It's been a long while since I've played Halo (don't have an X so stopped after the 360, and aside from Halo2 burned through the others in one playthrough), but gotta say I'm appreciating how different an experience this is from most other single-player FPS's I've been playing recently. I'm playing with a controller so that explains some of it, but damn getting my butt kicked on Heroic. But especially coming after playing the Metro series to something so combat-focused, the Elite are just as annoying as I remember them and I'm not used to having to focus so much in combat and use every tool I have to survive instead of just blasting away (well aside from when I have a Mortor launcher).

Def put your crosshair on 'classic' view btw folks, too much screen area is taken up by the weapon model otherwise.

Hope they can clear up that audio. I mean Halo's plot was never a great drawing point for the series but damn it doesn't help when you can't hear most dialogue and are thrown into a game in the middle of the series.

Bio

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denver, Colorado

What would the benefit of a controller/mouse setup even be? I'm not being dismissive, I just can't think of a setup using both that would seem functional, but that's because I've never tried it.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the audio seems to be getting worse. At the start of the game it was fine, everything seemed clear - but when the action heats up it's just a mess, my soundbar sounds like a laptop speaker.

It's been a long while since I've played Halo (don't have an X so stopped after the 360, and aside from Halo2 burned through the others in one playthrough), but gotta say I'm appreciating how different an experience this is from most other single-player FPS's I've been playing recently. I'm playing with a controller so that explains some of it, but damn getting my butt kicked on Heroic. But especially coming after playing the Metro series to something so combat-focused, the Elite are just as annoying as I remember them and I'm not used to having to focus so much in combat and use every tool I have to survive instead of just blasting away (well aside from when I have a Mortor launcher).

Def put your crosshair on 'classic' view btw folks, too much screen area is taken up by the weapon model otherwise.

Hope they can clear up that audio. I mean Halo's plot was never a great drawing point for the series but damn it doesn't help when you can't hear most dialogue and are thrown into a game in the middle of the series.

I also thought the audio sounded fine but as I went on discovered that it sounds more and more muffled as I progress. I can hardly even hear the characters talk sometimes, it sounds like they're underwater. And the music is just MIA sometimes.

I didn't realize that the crosshair setting actually changed the weapon model's position. I'll try it out later.

Zasa

Oct 25, 2017
Really can't say I agree. Having actual dynamics in combat encounters and enemies that pose a threat and aren't paper cutouts is something I've needed to readjust to. Having access to grenades more than once every couple minutes is also nice. Even with Reach PVP being the worst in the Bungie releases, it's refreshing having an actual sandbox to play around with and not just having people play as sliding shotgun gorillas.
Also nice to just have a level-playing-field, with no god-rolls, OP exotics, level advantages, 2 minute supers, wall-hacks, shotguns & fusion rifles as primaries, automatic over shield & invis, tracking rockets, etc.

Last edited:

Avinash117

Oct 25, 2017
Bloom was a bad solution to an invented problem. I'm in the minority (by far, I think) on this, but I think the real solution for the BR's supremacy in 2 was not giving it to every player at the start. The BR and DMR should be powerful, in my opinion, but they should be limited pickups on the map and not the default loadout. The problem is giving everyone one of the most versatile guns in the game to start with (which was also the problem with the pistol in CE). What's the point of controlling points on the map and weapon spawns if you start with the most essential part of the loadout?

Bloom was just Bungie massively overthinking a solution, imo. Real forest-for-the-trees stuff, but again, I accept that I'm probably in the minority here.

Jetpacks are bad but basically necessary on some maps because they break them so badly.
From my experience, both Halo 2 and Halo 3 had automatic starts at launch, but people complained about it because usually the team the gets the precision weapons had a huge advantage, especially in competitive play. People hated automatic starts, so Bungie got rid of AR starts in Halo 3 for ranked play and made BR starts the default for BTB and ranked Team Slayer or at least they were heavily weighed in favor of. They also made it a voting option, and from what I gather almost all my matches in Halo 3 regardless in social or ranked play was BR starts. I guess with all that data they decided to ship Halo: Reach with DMR starts.

I think Bungie tried to fix this with bloom and loadouts and 343 had their own ideas. The topic was done death for a long, long time. I think older Halo games was balanced around AR starts, but the weapon sandbox wasn't at the right spot.

KamenRiderEra

Oct 25, 2017
What would the benefit of a controller/mouse setup even be? I'm not being dismissive, I just can't think of a setup using both that would seem functional, but that's because I've never tried it.
Gyro aiming works at its best with mouse input. While the rest of the commands are the controller. When there's no possibility to do the hibrid setup, you need to use all controller (no gyro or bad gyro emulating sticks), or configure mouse/keyboar on controller. The last option is my way to play Destiny 2 on steam, and Im very pleased with my config on Switch Pro

Brandino

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Anyone else finding driving the Warthog with the mouse super clunky? I wish I could map a and d to left and right turn in that vehicle.

Also, who here played the original Halo port on PC back when it was new? I played the heck out of the multiplayer but didn't get into the campaign. Then it went xbox exclusive, and I only played with friends cause I generally suck with a controller for shooters.

DarkStream

Oct 27, 2017
The sound issues make the campaign unplayable.
Can't understand a word. No subtitles either.
I'm also not sure if I like playing Halo with mouse and keyboard. Might try a controller next.

gnexus

Mar 30, 2018
I've been playing a ton of OG Halo Reach via Xbox One BC the past two months or so, and it's sooo nice to see it in 4k60 and HDR finally. I just wish they brought back the credit/challenge/commendations system, but I guess the battle pass is the new hotness for games. Oh well. I'm still having a blast.

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK
What is the red next to my rank?

oO77ksH.png

OP
OP

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just a heads up that I will be updating the OT to include more info and an FAQ. Been super busy this week with work.

Also, I plan to do some custom games organizing on Sunday for our discord community, if you're interested, just go ahead and join!