• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 15227

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"
1: Update, Disable or Uninstall RGB Software

A very common fix for this error is RGB software. RGB software typically runs LED lighting on your video card or motherboard. If you have any LED lights on your rig, odds are you've found the problem.

If your error message shows an executable name, then that's the culprit.

Asus and Gigabyte motherboards are well-known to cause these errors. You can try to update your drivers from your computer manufacturer or even better, end the task before you play. Press CTRL+ALT+DEL and click on Task Manager. You'll want to find the process that's running your RGB software. Possible names include SelLedV2.exe, RGBFusion.exe, and LightingServices.exe.

"

Thanks mate, but I'm not running any RGB software. I did some googling before coming here and nothing really helped. MCC is the first game to ever exhibit this kind of problem on my PC.

I'll have another crack at it tomorrow.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
If you are on PC and want a visually consistent experience, do not use the high framerate mode at the moment. It has way too many problems regarding how animation/screen udpate is handled. It will look nothing like a real 120 fps and arguably worse than 60hz vsync

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Reach abilities being on the 'X' button keeps throwing me off now after so many years of Halo 5. Guess I need another profile for the Elite controller.

Tortillo VI

May 27, 2018
I played a bit with controller, there was definitely some aim assist. Your cursor magnetizing to enemies it's hovered over.
Grabbing my controller to test this made me realize that the game feels a lot more stuttery with a controller vs with a mouse.
If you noticed it in-game it's probably me exaggerating it but I didn't observe my crosshair "magnetising" to enemies at all. Hope I'm wrong!

Open Wound

Nov 7, 2017
This has been a massive dissapointing release. If it didn't have the audio issues, it would have been a "bare minimum" kind of release, but I don't know how they released this before fixing the audio issues. It's not acceptable.

Anyway, it's still Reach and I haven't played the campaign since the 360 days, so I'm going to suck it up while I'm playing through it in heroic and wait for fixes for my legendary run.
However, there's another issue that I'm experiencing: It seems that I'm unable to downsample the game with the Nvidia DSR. I set it up correctly, but automatically once I boot the game it resets it to its native res. I don't know what's going on there.
Hopefully an internal resolution slider is considered as a feature in the very near future (baffling that it released without the ability to downsample from the game itself) alongside actual graphic options and not shitty presets.

This is not the kind of release I expected after so many assurances that they wanted to get it right from the get go.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
Whyyyyy are there no in-game subtitles. And why do so many people on comms sound like the kind of stereotypical teenagers you'd expect to be playing on Xbox Live circa 2012.
If you are on PC and want a visually consistent experience, do not use the high framerate mode at the moment. It has way too many problems regarding how animation/screen udpate is handled. It will look nothing like a real 120 fps and arguably worse than 60hz vsync
It reminds me of Catherine's PC release, which "supported" uncapped framerates, but everything aside from camera movement ran at 30 FPS.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it visually looks really whacked out right now. Not sure I'd take the latency hit though - it looks off, but it doesn't really feel off to me.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
Enjoying revisiting the campaign.

Played a few MP matches and something just doesn't click. It's not like going back to 2 or 3. I played the shit outta Reach at the time and enjoyed it, but I think it's a slightly different experience to the other Halos (I mean we knew it was) in a way that makes it feel... Odd. Might just be my controls. Played both TU and original flavours. Doesn't feel like putting on old slippers as it did going from 5 to 2/3 (even with 3's spread).

2PiR

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
yeah I am not feeling it. Played few campaign missions and SWAT. It reaffirms my belief that it is indeed my least fav Halo game

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
This is by far the worst audio mixing i've ever heard in a game, and I've heard some bad ones.

What the fuck? How did they ship it like this.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just quoting this again to say, uncapped framerates worked fine in the third test flight. It felt exactly like you'd expect a game running at 120+ FPS to play, super smooth. I seriously don't get what went wrong, was this to fix the issue people were having with mouse latency?

Oct 25, 2017
This is by far the worst audio mixing i've ever heard in a game, and I've heard some bad ones.

What the fuck? How did they ship it like this.

You're supposed to be in low gravity space during that part, but I don't know if that's how it was presented on Xbox, e.g. the audio being muffled after the gravity kicks back on. Been 8+ years since I've played.

Ostron

Mar 23, 2019
However, there's another issue that I'm experiencing: It seems that I'm unable to downsample the game with the Nvidia DSR. I set it up correctly, but automatically once I boot the game it resets it to its native res. I don't know what's going on there.
Hopefully an internal resolution slider is considered as a feature in the very near future (baffling that it released without the ability to downsample from the game itself) alongside actual graphic options and not shitty presets.
Yeah it resets, but it works when you set it in game.

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
You're supposed to be in low gravity space during that part, but I don't know if that's how it was presented on Xbox, e.g. the audio being muffled after the gravity kicks back on. Been 8+ years since I've played.

Low grav or not that's not a correct sound mixing specially since it crackles later on. The music sounds like it's filtred through some trash can.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
From what I've read so far about Reach on MCC, I think I'll wait until the issues are sorted. Why can't 343 just nail this shit first time?

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Ranked Team Hardcore without bloom is the god-like playlist. No load outs. No bullshit. Just you, your DMR and your enemy. Server performance also is a lot better compared to the flights. Getting really good hit registrations in EU. Feels incredible to play.

I wish they would just copy and paste the Halo 5 competitive ranking system though. The 1 - 50 system, while nostalgic, isn't too good these days.

Noble

Oct 27, 2017
From what I've read so far about Reach on MCC, I think I'll wait until the issues are sorted. Why can't 343 just nail this shit first time?

Eh, Game is fine and playable, being audio and co-op input lag the two main issues. The rest are the expected issues you get from literally every game release.

Let's not act like this is a bad launch. This is great and nothing like the OG MC Xbox One launch, where you literally couldn't even play the campaigns properly.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, so in my Spartan Customization screen, I have mostly the default look, but whenever I load up my campaign, in the cutscene, my Spartan is shown with a smiley face on his chest plate on the right side. This isn't even the emblem I have set in my customization options. Why is this here? How do I get rid of it?

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Okay, so in my Spartan Customization screen, I have mostly the default look, but whenever I load up my campaign, in the cutscene, my Spartan is shown with a smiley face on his chest plate on the right side. This isn't even the emblem I have set in my customization options. Why is this here? How do I get rid of it?
The customization is for multiplayer. Campaign tells the story of specific Spartans (Noble team).

Fudgepuppy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So, am I the only one only seeing three graphical options (performance, standard, enhanced)? I remember them saying that it was going to have shit tons of options : S

Deleted member 15476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I noticed the co-op lag scaled a lot when adding more players. It was still noticeable with 2 players when ADS with the sniper, but with 4 the game became literally unplayable at times.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Eh, Game is fine and playable, being audio and co-op input lag the two main issues. The rest are the expected issues you get from literally every game release.

Let's not act like this is a bad launch. This is great and nothing like the OG MC Xbox One launch, where you literally couldn't even play the campaigns properly.
343i set the bar so low with the original MCC launch that failure seems like progress. Good to know.

kaftan

Oct 27, 2017
So I was going to get this, but I'm hearing there are issues? Could someone keeping up with the release summarize what those are? What's that about no aim assist with controller, is that true? Wanted to do campaign with a pad.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
So I was going to get this, but I'm hearing there are issues? Could someone keeping up with the release summarize what those are? What's that about no aim assist with controller, is that true? Wanted to do campaign with a pad.
The game has a 90% recommendation on Steam by 7,000+ reviews. It plays fine. Playing Reach with a high FoV at 4K/60 is definitely an incredible experience.

The biggest issue is sound. The sound quality is lower than it should be. They are working on this.

Can't confirm any problems with aim assist. Plays just like it should with a controller.

Most of the other things I'm reading here are either specific to someone's PC or have to do just with how Halo: Reach is per design (crouch, DMR bloom etc.).

Matchmaking works great as well. I expected some issues here because of high peaks at launch, but so far the servers are holding up really well.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
Shame to hear about the broken unlimited framerate or 120/144 modes. Hope its sorted out.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
So what do you guys think about your performance with a gamepad vs with m+kb for this game? Do you think they got a good balance where m+kb doesn't completely stomp gamepad use?

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
I think I finally thwarted whatever was causing my black screen issue by verifying the file integrity of the game in steam. Might just be a coincidence and something else fixed it, but it did reacquire 7 files and I haven't had the issue since!

I noticed the co-op lag scaled a lot when adding more players. It was still noticeable with 2 players when ADS with the sniper, but with 4 the game became literally unplayable at times.

fwiw I remember this issue plaguing the original 360 release of Reach, and maybe Halo 3 as well. It definitely needs fixing, but it might not be a new issue with the port.

So what do you guys think about your performance with a gamepad vs with m+kb for this game? Do you think they got a good balance where m+kb doesn't completely stomp gamepad use?

I'm using an xbox controller and I haven't felt super outpaced yet except on sniper maps like high noon etc

jem

Oct 25, 2017
Bug possibly?

Have you tried editing your emblem and see if that forces it to change?

The customization is for multiplayer. Campaign tells the story of specific Spartans (Noble team).
Not with Reach, you have the same Spartan in MP as campaign.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Anyone have any suggestions for getting this to work on Ultrawide?

The setting is there, but at best I can do is windowed 1920x886.

Ultrawide is Monitor 2

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Pretty embarassing that they would just launch such an high profile and anticipated port with the audio in that state (and the high framerate issues), considering the default control method has no rumble and audio almost alone is what sells the punch of the gunplay on PC. Why not keep delaying it internally? It wouldn't make a difference at this point with how long it has taken already.

Deltadan

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly gamepad might be a little too powerful. That aim assist makes it pretty difficult for m+kb players, I know it did for me before I switched to controller.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Bug possibly?

Have you tried editing your emblem and see if that forces it to change?

6ydqTrU.jpg

Here's what it looks like.

I didn't set it to the smiley face. It wasn't that by default, but even changing the emblem did nothing. Those aren't even the colors I have for it. It doesn't even show up on my spartan in the customization screen.

UMFjdjG.jpg

So idk, it just seems weird how my very srs spartan warrior would have this goofy smily on his armor. I get it if I as a player did this, but I can't get the smiley off.

GamingRobioto

May 18, 2018
Exeter, UK
Played half the campaign last night with my mate on PC, Reach was always my least favourite of the Bungie games. But (unpopular opinion alert) the game really hasn't aged well the wow factor is diminished and the actual shooting mechanics feel a little archaic now. It definitely still has twinkles of brilliance but instead of being blown away by the nostalgia I as I expected, I just felt a little flat when playing it. That being said, I do prefer CE, 2, 3 and ODST so I look forward to playing them again.

horkrux

Oct 27, 2017
This is funny. Looks like MS doesn't even do proper QA on these PC releases anymore, just like with Windows. There is an insider program and that's mostly it. Nowhere near sufficient as you can see here, but we're apparantly the testers now.