• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Halo BR is probably gonna drop with Forge, tbh. Wouldn't be hard to set up.

I'm not so sure detachment from the game is what allowed HTT to be great.

If there actually was some sort of truth to hunt in Halo 5 (which it appears there was supposed to be, before some things changed) then all would have been well. unfortunately, there was never any real mystery around Chief's or Oni/Locke's actions and thus no payoff for the marketing campaign.

to me, it seems like the marketing team DID try to make something that jives with what the H5 plot was supposed to be, but the connective tissue got left on the game's cutting room floor.
Yeah, but that stuff got left on the floor for a reason. It might not be a good reason, but got cut it did, and if HTT had to play around what was or was not going to end up in the game, I think it'd be worse off for it.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
The only BR in Halo is the battle rifle.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Halo BR is probably gonna drop with Forge, tbh. Wouldn't be hard to set up.

Yeah, but that stuff got left on the floor for a reason. It might not be a good reason, but got cut it did, and if HTT had to play around what was or was not going to end up in the game, I think it'd be worse off for it.

I think I see what your saying.

if HTT had to jive with Halo5s rewrites, I don't think HTT could have existed. It probably took sometime to write and land all the performances, and there's no time to redo it all.

what it seems like happened is the marketers were tasked with priming the audience for a universe with an ideological conflict between ONI/UNSC and Master Chief. The marketer succeeded in doing so, but 343 cut basically all traces of an actual story from the game.

the only way this type of thing could work is if 343 is actually able to commit to a story well enough in advance.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017

if HTT had to jive with Halo5s rewrites, I don't think HTT could have existed. It probably took sometime to write and land all the performances, and there's no time to redo it all.

what it seems like happened is the marketers were tasked with priming the audience for a universe with an ideological conflict between ONI/UNSC and Master Chief. The marketer succeeded in doing so, but 343 cut basically all traces of an actual story from the game.
Yeah.

And even if that had been the right decision (which, yeah, I don't think it was), the same process constraints would exist anyway. You have to choose between a) only writing and producing the tie-in after the script for the game is basically locked in, b) constantly rewriting (and re-recording, which has its own issues) the tie-in as the script changes and c) writing the tie-in independently of the game and hoping for the best. a) is probably not doable for schedule reasons, b) is probably going to kneecap your quality no matter how good the game story ends up being, and c) is what they went with. And it has to be said, as far as HTT's quality is concerned, it worked out! Shit's great.

GringoSuave89

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
LA, CA

the only way this type of thing could work is if 343 is actually able to commit to a story well enough in advance.

What's odd to me is that for almost the entirety of Halo EU content, there really hasn't been any traction on ONI being "baddies". They're just generally accepted as a shadowy body up to no good, but it's never been addressed or even really acted upon. Which is a shame cause there's a lot they could do with that angle.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think DrD's obsession with Halo needing a BR has more to do with his myopic point of view as a streamer than any status as a shill for a competitor. BR games are big on Twitch, thus he thinks all games live and die by their Twitch numbers.

I'm actually with him that I think a Halo BR done right could be really cool and the series would lend itself naturally to one. I just find his insistence that it NEEDS one to survive the mainstream beyond 3-4 weeks is dumb as fuck.
His idiotic statement about 12 year olds being the games target audience was also stupid considering that is his demographic.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
What's odd to me is that for almost the entirety of Halo EU content, there really hasn't been any traction on ONI being "baddies". They're just generally accepted as a shadowy body up to no good, but it's never been addressed or even really acted upon. Which is a shame cause there's a lot they could do with that angle.

Said it before - I'd love a Halo spin-off RPG where you play an ONI agent or something, that really digs into what a shady organization ONI is. Maybe you could even set it on current Created-controlled Earth, which could make for an intriguing totalitarian setting.

Oct 25, 2017
sazutwd59gd51.jpg

From the Graphic Novel.
That art ≥ hw2 > h2a > infinite? > h3 > h2 > h:r
Art has totally different proportions and facial structure than what ended up in games. Closest might be HW2s thrallslayer.

basically bungie game brutes were always bottom tier and never lived up to the art and never looked good in any bungie game
Not until h2a improved that version, then they peaked in HW2

Infinite aping H3 aesthetic with HW2 influence instead of going full HW2 just means it's slightly better than H3 and still worse than HW2. (But that opinion is still in flux as the game hasn't yet released.)

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
That jaw is absurd. Naked bigfoot + ammo sash is stupid. I appreciate the genital hiding extra patch of hair though.

Art is subjective.

GringoSuave89

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
LA, CA
Said it before - I'd love a Halo spin-off RPG where you play an ONI agent or something, that really digs into what a shady organization ONI is. Maybe you could even set it on current Created-controlled Earth, which could make for an intriguing totalitarian setting.

My dream is third person adventure, ONI Section 0 game where you see some of the shady shit they get up to.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I don't think there were any rewrites. By the time HTT was recorded all of the mocap and dialogue would have been recorded. 343i even stated they had Halo 5's ending figured out before Halo 4 was finished.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017

I mean, this is what was the most disappointing thing to me regarding Halo 5. With the existential threats that the Covenant and the Didact represented all dealt with, we had the perfect opportunity to dive into the drama that was always present, but in the background. For me, HTT served as a perfect follow up to the Kilo-5 novels and I had convinced myself that the series was about to really dive into the personal and political aspects of living in a space-faring society that requires co-existing with aliens. Such a good conflict, ripe with drama.

instead we got an 8hr act 1 of the most generic plot imaginable

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think there were any rewrites. By the time HTT was recorded all of the mocap and dialogue would have been recorded. 343i even stated they had Halo 5's ending figured out before Halo 4 was finished.

Halo 5 basically defies every fundamental rule of character development, crafting story arcs, and building tension. I have a hard time believing that anyone who's ever published a professional work would have felt that H5, as told, works as a complete story. I do believe they knew how the story would end for a long time, but that doesn't mean that the path to the end stayed on the rails. Like the saying goes "films are made in the cutting room"- so was apparently Halo 5s final narrative. The took the dialog and mocap they had , and cut and paste it into what shipped.

like I can only assume that there were supposed to be actual character arcs in this game, and some sort of real tension between Chief and Locke, and some sort of mystery to solve… but for whatever reason that stuff just didn't make the cut.

Last edited:

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
The ending they had in mind was probably just Cortana turning evil. How they get there could've gone through multiple revisions.

Juan

Oct 28, 2017
So I tested for the very first time tonight 120fps thanks to CoD Mobile on my iPad, and while not being groundbreaking compared to discovering 60fps after 30, I've to admit it is buttery smooth and impressively responsive.

Maybe a little too much actually, felt like the slightest move I would do to my joystick would act like I was on max sensitivity.

Still, an interesting experience, to the point where I'm questioning if I should get a 120hz ready screen for when Infinite launches.

I just think we don't know yet what the visual downgrade will be for this performance mode. CoD Mobile is quite rough at 120fps.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
So I tested for the very first time tonight 120fps thanks to CoD Mobile on my iPad, and while not being groundbreaking compared to discovering 60fps after 30, I've to admit it is buttery smooth and impressively responsive.

Maybe a little too much actually, felt like the slightest move I would do to my joystick would act like I was on max sensitivity.

Still, an interesting experience, to the point where I'm questioning if I should get a 120hz ready screen for when Infinite launches.

I just think we don't know yet what the visual downgrade will be for this performance mode. CoD Mobile is quite rough at 120fps.

Going from 60 to 120 ain't no thing. Getting used to 120 and switching back to 60 is jittery as hell. 120 ruins you, no joke.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
We'll have some forge BR hoppers 🤷‍♂️

And all is well in the universe. Let 343 concentrate on what makes Halo special

Eh, I've mentioned this in the past but a proper BR needs to have a great map. I don't know if Forge is capable of that. We'll see I guess.

As for a proper BR mode, if 343i is not able to work on that because of lack of resources post-launch, bring in another team. Bring in Certain Affinity (I know they are working on other projects as well) or someone else to handle BR alongside 343i.

If Microsoft could get Crystal Dynamics to help out on Perfect Dark there should be no excuse to not get 343i more manpower (I know multiple studios are already helping them finish up Infinite).

oriic

Prophet of Truth - Press
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Hungary
2jlEzkC.png

I've done a similar thing for some of my other OTs such as Marvel's Avengers, The Outer Worlds and Anthem to great success, with some amazing titles winning the polls.

I've been cooking up the Halo Infinite OT since last year as I had a ton of ideas and early concepts ready for it when the delay was announced. Ever since we got a firm release date of December 8th, it has been all hands on for me - writing and designing the OT. There are animations, gifs, in-universe inspired designs and a lot more to look forward to and yes, there will be a text only version of the OT for those not into the flashy graphics.

So, from now (30th October) until next Sunday (7th November) I am taking suggestions for the OT's title, that will be formatted as such: Halo Infinite |OT| <TITLE>

For example: Halo Infinite |OT| Set a fire in your heart, Spartan!

So @ me, iFirez, in this thread or in one of the currently active Halo Infinite discussion threads with your title suggestions and I'll compile all of them into a poll in just over a weeks time (so look out for that post WC/8thNov to get your vote in).

Halo Infinite |OT| This Ring is MINE!

Rosur

Oct 28, 2017
Currently through Halo campaigns for the first time on 3 atm and enjoying them but was wondering if 5 has a chance of coming to MCC?
Though kinda hope after Infinite release 5 does at least come to PC.

Playing in lore order and so far my rating is Reach > 2 > Wars / ODST > 1

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Currently through Halo campaigns for the first time on 3 atm and enjoying them but was wondering if 5 has a chance of coming to MCC?
Though kinda hope after Infinite release 5 does at least come to PC.

Playing in lore order and so far my rating is Reach > 2 > Wars / ODST > 1
It is never coming to MCC, it might come to PC on its own later though.

nillapuddin

Oct 25, 2017
Halo 3Halo 5Infinite ArenaInfinite BTB
GuardianAlpineAquariusBreaker
NarrowsAltitudeBTODrydock
AntifreezeBazaarEngine
Attack on SanctumBehemothExiled
ArrayCatalystFragmentation
BarrensCataractHighpower
BasinDamRockridge
Battle of NoctusFaceoffDeadlock
Breakout ArenaFrost
ColiseumLaunch Site
CrossfireLive Fire
DeadlockNeutron
DepthsRecharge
EdenRuins
EmpireStreets
EntombedVirgo
Escape from A.R.C.
Fathom
Gambol
Glacier
Grifball Court
Guillotine
March on Stormbreak
Mercy
Molten
Orion
Overgrowth
Parallax
Pegasus
Plaza
Prospect
Raid on Apex 7
Recurve
Refuge
Regret
Riptide
Solitude
Skirmish at Darkstar
Stasis
The Rig
Tidal
Torque
Trench
Trident
Truth
Tyrant

Here's an edited table from my old post when the MP map names got datamined

Of note, I previously wrote off the name "Deadlock" because it was noks name for Standoff which was an "official" BTB map, but apparently they weren't beholden to that.

Very easily it could be a one-off, but it does open the possibility for returning names (although I highly doubt it)

Edit: Sorry, I buried the lede
"We've tried the one-to-one ports. They don't work well."

BOOOOOOOOOOOO

but that's ultimately okay, more content for me to make :D

Last edited:

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
Reminds me of plaza, but without the "vaseline smear" look from Halo 5

Juan

Oct 28, 2017
I'm really afraid that all the 4v4 maps will be way too small and will not let you breathe at all during gameplay, like it was the case for Live Fire.

"Street" seems to go in that category as well.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really afraid that all the 4v4 maps will be way too small and will not let you breathe at all during gameplay, like it was the case for Live Fire.

"Street" seems to go in that category as well.
I don't think any of them are too small - rather they're all quite room based/compartmentalised with congested sightlines. Live Fire seems to be the most open in that regard tbh.

DemonCarnotaur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
NYC

Juan

Oct 28, 2017
I don't think any of them are too small - rather they're all quite room based/compartmentalised with congested sightlines. Live Fire seems to be the most open in that regard tbh.

Honestly, I feel like either Live Fire or Bazaar would be perfect pacing wise for 2v2. If you compare to Halo 3, which is the last game without sprint, all the 4v4 maps in Infinite seem way smaller.

Cheesy

Oct 30, 2017
I really wish they would do something about the map selection for MCC. I dunno how it is for some of the games, but I mainly do BTB for Halo 3 and Reach, and I basically only get Tempest and Breakpoint in Reach, never any of the other maps, Halo 3 is usually more varied, but leans kinda heavily towards Avalance and Sandtrap (or forge maps), very rare that I get Rat's Nest.

Novocaine

Oct 26, 2017
Playing through the series again before Infinite drops. Just finished 4 and started up 5.

Honestly 4's campaign is a lot better than I remember. I only ever played through it once. I think the real letdown was the final boss not being an actual fight.
Midway through 5 now and I also forgot how much the Warden Eternal annoys me. But it plays so smooth.

Cheesy

Oct 30, 2017
Playing through the series again before Infinite drops. Just finished 4 and started up 5.

Honestly 4's campaign is a lot better than I remember. I only ever played through it once. I think the real letdown was the final boss not being an actual fight.
Midway through 5 now and I also forgot how much the Warden Eternal annoys me. But it plays so smooth.
I mostly liked 4's campaign aside from the final boss like you mentioned. I think my biggest gripe with it though is I found that the prometheans just weren't a fun enemy to fight at all, I'd gladly take the flood again.

Elliott

Oct 25, 2017
Halo 4's campaign is "fine". It doesn't have any particular highs or lows, it just sort of treads water until the end. Looks stunning on a series x though, I kept stopping for cinematic camera pans during the forerunner level like it was an e3 demo.