• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
FUNKNOWN iXi

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
while i agree h5's matchmaking is better than mcc's when it comes to skill matching, team balance is still more or less the same. i can't tell you how many times i've tried to play ranked onyx high and still manage to get a person walking around the map like it's their first game they've ever held.
Yup lol, I can't remember a time when the community didn't complain about matchmaking woes.

Like jem's stat about 51% wins doesn't mean much as to the quality of those matches. Maybe under a better system he's good enough to have a higher win percentage but a variety of factors stopped that from happening, like unbalanced teams, quitters, etc. Maybe in his 51% win rate there was a 72% occurrence of 2 teammates with more than a combined -35 and maybe 60% of that 51% had at least one quitter on either side.

People can tout near-half win % as a good thing, but if a high percentage of that 50% win/loss statistic results in factors outside of the player's control, then that results in a poor matchmaking experience overall.

Single stats like that don't accurately depict the realities often times, and the reality here is that there are reasons why people have been complaining about matchmaking issues since 2004.

Ya feel meh.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
Yup lol, I can't remember a time when the community didn't complain about matchmaking woes.

Like jem's stat about 51% wins doesn't mean much as to the quality of those matches. Maybe under a better system he's good enough to have a higher win percentage but a variety of factors stopped that from happening, like unbalanced teams, quitters, etc. Maybe in his 51% win rate there was a 72% occurrence of 2 teammates with more than a combined -35 and maybe 60% of that 51% had at least one quitter on either side.

People can tout near-half win % as a good thing, but if a high percentage of that 50% win/loss statistic results in factors outside of the player's control, then that results in a poor matchmaking experience overall.

Single stats like that don't accurately depict the realities often times, and the reality here is that there are reasons why people have been complaining about matchmaking issues since 2004.

Ya feel meh.
Well, both anecdotally and statistically my experience was very good with 5.

I certainly recall more close matches than I do massive blow outs.

Dec 21, 2017
So i just played Halo 5 for the first time in a while. Forgot how toxic this community is. Literally got team killed more time in a 1 hour play session than i have in like 3-5 months of MCC.

Also in ODST Slayer i got betrayed 5 times in one game buy the same person with no option to boot them. Is there no betrayal booting in social? and if so, WTF?

OP
OP
FUNKNOWN iXi

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Well, both anecdotally and statistically my experience was very good with 5.

I certainly recall more close matches than I do massive blow outs.
It's not just about that, you can't fully determine the quality of matches just from win %'s and final scores.

But we'll see soon enough anyway. I'll remain hopeful, bots should at least help with filling matches until another player joins in progress, if that'll be a thing. I'm curious if there will be a quit penalty too.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oof.

Bots in ranked is a no no for me. Take it from someone who played Gears 3 and 4. Bots suck.

Señor Sepia

Aug 2, 2020
What
I can pick up any Halo game at random and be kinda decent at it in a few minutes, but damn its not the case with Halo 5, the game is just too fast and hardcore for me lol. I used to be very good a few years ago when i spent months playing it regularly, but nowadays its impossible for me to keep up.

Not saying the game is bad because of it, far from it lol but im kinda glad Halo Infinite feels more "classic" and less complex than H5, i want halo to be competitive but not sweaty all the time. Hope i feel the same this friday when i play against other players.

Ramirez

Oct 26, 2017
I can pick up any Halo game at random and be kinda decent at it in a few minutes, but damn its not the case with Halo 5, the game is just too fast and hardcore for me lol. I used to be very good a few years ago when i spent months playing it regularly, but nowadays its impossible for me to keep up.

Not saying the game is bad because of it, far from it lol but im kinda glad Halo Infinite feels more "classic" and less complex than H5, i want halo to be competitive but not sweaty all the time. Hope i feel the same this friday when i play against other players.

I think a lot of that is just at this point in H5's life, you're left with nothing but diehards playing it.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
242159356_3798499183583253_8802388650346784428_n.jpg

I hope we get a silent cartographer inspired mission/area in Infinite.

MysteryM

Oct 28, 2017
Does anyone else find that playing certain teams just lags more than others? If you get dropped into a room full of champions and onyx low kills/high assists/low headshots are a given.

Its supposed to be dedicated servers, but there must be balancing netcode as well. It's really frustrating. You can almost immediately tell that shots aren't landing across the map whereas you get 4 shot from a mile away.

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Its supposed to be dedicated servers, but there must be balancing netcode as well.
Balancing netcode? Like some kind of system that changes latency compensation based on rank? Such a concept is frankly unheard of in practice (people have done odd Quake2 mods where damage scaling was based on ping but that's about the extent, certainly not something used in a commercial setting) and it's extremely unlikely Halo would have such a thing either.

Chances are whatever you're seeing is more likely just confirmation bias; the games where you feel you perform worse are also the ones where you notice the affects of netcode limitations or artefacts, or simply the matchmaking is having to put you in servers slightly further away than usual due to population availability.

MysteryM

Oct 28, 2017
Balancing netcode? Like some kind of system that changes latency compensation based on rank? Such a concept is frankly unheard of in practice (people have done odd Quake2 mods where damage scaling was based on ping but that's about the extent, certainly not something used in a commercial setting) and it's extremely unlikely Halo would have such a thing either.

Chances are whatever you're seeing is more likely just confirmation bias; the games where you feel you perform worse are also the ones where you notice the affects of netcode limitations or artefacts, or simply the matchmaking is having to put you in servers slightly further away than usual due to population availability.

I've got many thousands of games in halo 5 and consider myself proficient and am running gigabit fibre in the Uk with a high download\upload and low ping. I can go from a ranked game where I score top of the table to suddenly playing in a game where I'm chasing the opposition counting the number of shots that I'm firing and seeing little damage occurring, and at the end of the game low and behold it's a team of onyx and champions. I'm only recently on fibre and moved purely for better gaming speeds.

You see all the time in halo, people do great one game and then pummelled the next with low kills and headshots and high assists.

its like playing football but having your feet tied together before the game and really spoils the competitive aspect.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone else find that playing certain teams just lags more than others? If you get dropped into a room full of champions and onyx low kills/high assists/low headshots are a given.

Its supposed to be dedicated servers, but there must be balancing netcode as well. It's really frustrating. You can almost immediately tell that shots aren't landing across the map whereas you get 4 shot from a mile away.

I've got many thousands of games in halo 5 and consider myself proficient and am running gigabit fibre in the Uk with a high download\upload and low ping. I can go from a ranked game where I score top of the table to suddenly playing in a game where I'm chasing the opposition counting the number of shots that I'm firing and seeing little damage occurring, and at the end of the game low and behold it's a team of onyx and champions. I'm only recently on fibre and moved purely for better gaming speeds.

You see all the time in halo, people do great one game and then pummelled the next with low kills and headshots and high assists.

its like playing football but having your feet tied together before the game and really spoils the competitive aspect.

You are describing what seem like typical and cross continent netcode shenanigans. The different good and bad experience are mostl likely a result of lower or higher pings and since you are in the UK, you are most likely having a higher ping in cross continent scenarios. I for one have 170ms+ against West US and 110ms+ against East US players. Even worse if it's against players from Latin/South America or even Australia. Couple that with Halo 5's terrible tickrate, which even results in blank melees and shots in "LAN" tournament scenarios, and you probably have the reason as to why your matchmaking experience is the way it is.

Find that more likely than a developer using a netcode balancing tool, which is managing packets based on someones skill/performance. Such a system would be incredibly unfair and also pretty insane.

Edit: I've said this before, but the best H5 matchmaking experience was back in March 2016, when they restricted servers to your region. Everything was so fluid and I'm consistently having that experience in Halo MCC currently, thanks to server selection.

OP
OP
FUNKNOWN iXi

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Si, Señor.
I am unironically excited for this, maybe im getting old, but sometimes i play ar modes in MCC and i find it very fun, specially H3. Ten years ago i was a die hard AR hater and never wanted to play it but nowadays i see the appeal.

Keep them away from HCS and Ranked tho.
Some thought I was crazy by saying Halo 3 AR/Magnum starts are kinda fun these days.

Both can be true.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
I know everyone that signed up gets into this flight so I hope FUNKNOWN made a mistake so he doesn't get in.

4459_ComfyBlob.png

Cheesy

Oct 30, 2017
Man, I'm really nervous about Halo Infinite, not whether or not it'll be good, but whether or not I'll be able to play it online. Halo MCC's connection has been awful for me since launch, and we have great internet, we even just upgraded to 1000 Mbps the other day... But it's pretty common that I'll get "Connection Interrupted" as I load into a match, or I'll get kicked from a match mid-game for no reason, I was playing a match of BTB in Reach earlier that was playing fine, and got booted with a ban lasting until 5 AM in the morning (it's almost 2 PM for me at the time of this post). Halo 1 and 2 are basically unplayable online too, all the other games will work online for me a lot more consistently, but it's extremely rare that I get a match of Halo 1 or 2 that aren't a broken mess. I hope it's just MCC and not 343's servers as a whole.

Kibbles

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I'm really nervous about Halo Infinite, not whether or not it'll be good, but whether or not I'll be able to play it online. Halo MCC's connection has been awful for me since launch, and we have great internet, we even just upgraded to 1000 Mbps the other day... But it's pretty common that I'll get "Connection Interrupted" as I load into a match, or I'll get kicked from a match mid-game for no reason, I was playing a match of BTB in Reach earlier that was playing fine, and got booted with a ban lasting until 5 AM in the morning (it's almost 2 PM for me at the time of this post). Halo 1 and 2 are basically unplayable online too, all the other games will work online for me a lot more consistently, but it's extremely rare that I get a match of Halo 1 or 2 that aren't a broken mess. I hope it's just MCC and not 343's servers as a whole.
Yeah nothing bothers me more then getting booted from a game and then getting banned. Happens a lot in MCC

nillapuddin

Oct 25, 2017
So as a self appointed champion for people who suck

I'm glad to hear that you can earn challenges against Bots, hopefully "Tier 1" is a decent amount, I really really want my friends who are super casual to stick with this game and for Halo to be a place where the whole crew can gather at any point and have a good time. edit: (again)

Last edited:

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Progression system sounds really bad. And the xp boosts make no sense at all.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
Disappointed that match making only occurs during those windows. And it sounds like we can't even play bots? But 2 weekends in a row is a nice surprise!