• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
Ill necro up an old post, just to give perspective

Halo 2 = 12 + 11 DLC = 23 Maps
Halo 3 = 11 + 13 DLC = 24 Maps
Reach = 8 + 11 DLC = 19 Maps
Halo 4 = 10 + 11 DLC = 21 Maps
Halo 5 = 15 Maps

Obviously 5 was pretty much completely propped up on Forge content and over a 1/3 of those 15 are "map remixes"
H5 had 22 maps not including forge maps.

Including the forge palettes it has 28.

Oct 25, 2017
Yep they definitely mean maps 👀

I'm unfamiliar with HaloDotAPI's work. How would they be getting that info already? Is some form of Infinite's API already accessible by the public? Or did the app flight give them some limited access of some sort? What's the origin of this info?

AX8kcggl.png

jem

Oct 25, 2017
jem, show me the receipts because thats not true at all

I literally counted them as I scrolled the actual game writing that post
Attack on Sanctum
Battle of Noctus
Coliseum
Eden
Empire
Escape from Arc
Fathom
March on Stormbreak
Mercy
Molten
Overgrowth
Plaza
Prospect
Raid on Apex 7
Regret
Riptide
Stasis
Skirmish at Darkstar
The Rig
Torque
Truth
Tyrant

Then the 6 forge palettes

Oct 25, 2017
jem, show me the receipts because thats not true at all

I literally counted them as I scrolled the actual game writing that post
I am not jem but I just did this count this morning so I thought I'd chime in

Halo 5's map count is a little weird thanks to remixes and forge creations being included in their official count at launch (as detailed in my post at the bottom of the last page) but if you're being generous by counting remixes as fully separate original maps then the total number can be as high as 23 without forge by my count (including warzone)
(unless i screwed something up but you can see my work below)

So jem is not wrong
(Although personally I chose to give remixes partial credit in my count and rounded it to ~10 launch maps ~20 final maps)
umCD4Ty.png

Last edited:

jem

Oct 25, 2017
I am not jem but I just did this count this morning so I thought I'd chime in

Halo 5's map count is a little annoying to calculate thanks to remixes and forge maps being included in their official count at launch (as detailed in my post at the bottom of the last page) but if you're being generous by counting remixes as fully separate original maps then the total number can be as high as 23 without forge by my count (including warzone)
(unless i screwed something up but you can see my work below)

So jem is not wrong
(Although personally I chose to give remixes partial credit in my count and rounded it to ~10 launch maps ~20 final maps)
umCD4Ty.png
Remixes definitely count - they look and play very distinctly from the "originals".

(unfortunately they often play far worse).

nillapuddin

Oct 25, 2017
Attack on Sanctum
Battle of Noctus
Coliseum
Eden
Empire
Escape from Arc
Fathom
March on Stormbreak
Mercy
Molten
Overgrowth
Plaza
Prospect
Raid on Apex 7
Regret
Riptide
Stasis
Skirmish at Darkstar
The Rig
Torque
Truth
Tyrant

Then the 6 forge palettes

forge palettes dont count as maps

F0D7p0o.png

and including Warzone maps into it is just fluffing the numbers for what?

We never counted forge maps, canvases, warzone, or firefight maps as "Maps" before, and doing so now seems very strange. Like, what is your point?

It doesn't change the fact that this game was entirely held up by Forge content, almost entirely created outside of 343 themselves, and is absolutely a valid factor to consider the franchise they took over regularly was pushing out 20+ developer maps per game, and as soon as they took over the number fell off a cliff.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
forge palettes dont count as maps

F0D7p0o.png

and including Warzone maps into it is just fluffing the numbers for what?

We never counted forge maps, canvases, warzone, or firefight maps as "Maps" before, and doing so now seems very strange. Like, what is your point?

It doesn't change the fact that this game was entirely held up by Forge content, almost entirely created outside of 343 themselves, and is absolutely a valid factor to consider the franchise they took over regularly was pushing out 20+ developer maps per game, and as soon as they took over the number fell off a cliff.
Why wouldn't you include Warzone maps?

That'd be like saying we shouldn't include maps only used for BTB.

nillapuddin

Oct 25, 2017
Why wouldn't you include Warzone maps?

That'd be like saying we shouldn't include maps only used for BTB.

Because when we talk about MP Maps, absolutely nobody is thinking about Warzone maps in that figure.

They are not equivocal to each other. If you want to say there are 15 MP maps and 8 Warzone boards, thats fine. But they are not the same, if they allowed Big team to be played on them, then maybe. But they dont, they are bespoke to a separate game mode.

Attack on Sanctum =/= Valhalla

Y'all forgot to count Pegasus, Orion and all the breakout maps

I just took those screenshots from the game 30 minutes ago, according to Halo 5 those are all the maps that are included in the game from 343 themselves.

Orion, Pegasus and all the Breakout maps are included on that list.
All made in Forge.

edit: I never thought there would be a day that I of all people would be affirming that forge maps dont count

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
Orion and Pegasus were treated as real maps by 343 to show off Forge.

Oct 25, 2017
Remixes definitely count - they look and play very distinctly from the "originals".

(unfortunately they often play far worse).
yes indeed they do (both points)
Any map could play very different as easily as swapping some weapon placements and adding a forge bridge or something
When gameplay is your metric, where is the line of what constitutes a "new" map? During the Infinite flight, were the weapon variants of Live Fire different maps?
Defining distinct maps by gameplay gets a little messy when forge and re-used geometry blur that line (which is why I said the count for halo 5 is kinda annoying if you're trying to compare it 1:1 with older halo game counts)

Ultimately for my count I chose to define a distinct map worthy of 1 whole point in my count as each being one wholly original developer creation.
A remix largely reuses an existing map so that's worth like half a map point in my count, when in the context of being compared to prior halo map counts. I don't think a H5 Eden should count the same as a H2 Sanctuary.

Ultimately I did defend your count! If you just want a straight total count, in a vacuum, that's indeed 23 before forge.
Remixes just count for less in mine, because comparing a count that includes remixes to older halo games before remixes existed isn't quite apples to apples.

I did include Warzone in my count because that mode was meant to be 343's equivalent replacement for BTB. So for comparison's sake, that's how they're counted. Even though we all know in our hearts that Warzone was absolutely not an acceptable replacement or equivalent. Including Warzone H5 ended up generally on-par with past title map counts, although for those of us that did not embrace Warzone, the map count felt very small.

Last edited:

jem

Oct 25, 2017
Because when we talk about MP Maps, absolutely nobody is thinking about Warzone maps in that figure.

They are not equivocal to each other. If you want to say there are 15 MP maps and 8 Warzone boards, thats fine. But they are not the same, if they allowed Big team to be played on them, then maybe. But they dont, they are bespoke to a separate game mode.

I just took those screenshots from the game 30 minutes ago, according to Halo 5 those are all the maps that are included in the game from 343 themselves.

All made in Forge.

edit: I never thought there would be a day that I of all people would be affirming that forge maps dont count
Nah mate - you're talking absolute nonsense.

Warzone maps are just as important as any arena maps in H5 - hell, Warzone was more popular than arena so they're arguably more important.

yes indeed they do (both points)
Any map could play very different as easily as swapping some weapon placements and adding a forge bridge or something
When gameplay is your metric, where is the line of what constitutes a "new" map? During the Infinite flight, were the weapon variants of Live Fire different maps?
Defining distinct maps by gameplay gets a little messy when forge and re-used geometry blur that line (which is why I said the count for halo 5 is kinda annoying if you're trying to compare it 1:1 with older halo game counts)

Ultimately for my count I chose to define a distinct map worthy of 1 whole point in my count as each being one wholly original developer creation.
A remix largely reuses an existing map so that's worth like half a map point in my count, when in the context of being compared to prior halo map counts. I don't think a H5 Eden should count the same as a H2 Sanctuary.

Ultimately I did defend your count! If you just want a straight total count, in a vacuum, that's indeed 23 before forge.
Remixes just count for less in mine, because comparing a count that includes remixes to older halo games before remixes existed isn't quite apples to apples.

I did include Warzone in the count because that mode was meant to be 343's equivalent replacement for BTB. So for comparison's sake, that's how they're counted. Even though we all know in our hearts that Warzone was absolutely not an acceptable replacement or equivalent.
H5's remixes go far beyond just swapping weapon placements and adding some bridges though.

Regret and Truth are about as similar in how they play as Sanctuary and Midship are.

The closest two maps in terms of straight up geometric similarity (and visuals to be honest) would probably be Eden and Empire but even those two play very differently.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017

All made in Forge.

I should also mention that I was being 100% facetious by bringing those up.

Juan

Oct 28, 2017
I'm unfamiliar with HaloDotAPI's work.

Not going into details they wouldn't want to be shared at this point, so let just say they retro-engineered the Xbox & Halo API, and that they keep digging into it. You can definitely trust them when they are sharing an information (which doesn't mean that information will be verified and true, but that at some point, that information was available within the API 343 Industries is using for Infinite).

Last edited:

Ramirez

Oct 26, 2017
I really doubt you're getting 21 maps at launch, that's an insane number. I would hope how ever that Arena/BTB has an even split to keep the modes fresh.

Shrennin

Oct 25, 2017
Only way 21 maps is possible is due to the year delay/possibly adding some remasters of classic maps.

Just please. No Forge maps or remixes.

Oct 25, 2017
Certainly it's possible some of that number could be cut content or content still in progress for upcoming seasons.
They've probably already got new maps well in the works for upcoming seasons in the nearish future and breadcrumbs from that process could potentially be found.
But for a moment let's humor that number and theorize what 21 maps could possibly shake out to be, whether that be at launch or filled in down the road:

Let's say they go all out with 5 Forge canvasses like H5 had=16 remaining
25% of H5's arena launch arena lineup was remixed maps, 40% at finish, so let's say ~33% end up being remixes of other maps = 5 remixes
That leaves us with 11 remaining fully original maps
History tells us around 40% of maps are BTB maps = 4 BTB maps and 7 Arena maps
So...

Arena:
  1. Bazaar
  2. Behemoth
  3. Live Fire
  4. Recharge
  5. UnnamedA5 (Sabre map?)
  6. UnnamedA6
  7. UnnamedA7
  8. Unnamed RemixA8
  9. Unnamed RemixA9
  10. Unnamed RemixA10
BTB:
  1. Fragmentation
  2. UnnamedB2
  3. UnnamedB3
  4. UnnamedB4
  5. Unnamed RemixB5
  6. Unnamed RemixB6
Forge:
  1. Canvas1
  2. Canvas2
  3. Canvas3
  4. Canvas4
  5. Canvas5
The average launch map count (minus forge canvasses) is ~11 so if they launch with the first 7 arena and first 4 BTB maps, and then released the remixes as extra content down the road, that would be about on par with series history.

Not going into details they wouldn't want to be shared at this point, so let just say they retro-engineered the Xbox & Halo API, and that they keep digging into it. You can definitely trust them when they are sharing an information (which doesn't mean that information will be verified, but that at some point, that information was available within the API 343 Industries is using for Infinite).
Thanks! The context helps.

Last edited:

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
Honestly I would hope Forge was robust enough now where you didn't need 8 different canvasses and could instead just go into a blank map and chose from a multitude of skybox and terrain types.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I would hope Forge was robust enough now where you didn't need 8 different canvasses and could instead just go into a blank map and chose from a multitude of skybox and terrain types.
I hope we get proper dev tools so modders can make proper developer quality maps and forge gets relegated to map editing over map creation.

Sr Kitsune

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Baja California, Mexico
That reminds me.

I'm okay with armor coatings.

I'm not okay with emblems being locked. And predefined (colors and looks). That one should still be like the classic emblem system, or I'm just old school?

Oct 25, 2017
To me it looks strangely similar to the sidekick but still with a lot of differences
Makes me wonder if we're seeing a "weapon core" in action
the customization subsystem rumored to allow weapons to have different models in addition to skins
I don't know if it's real but I've seen talk about it, and weapons cores have been referenced in official screenshots
I wonder if I can make my sidekick look like an M6D

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
To me it looks strangely similar to the sidekick but still with a lot of differences
Makes me wonder if we're seeing a "weapon core" in action
the customization subsystem rumored to allow weapons to have different models in addition to skins
I don't know if it's real but I've seen talk about it, and weapons cores have been referenced in official screenshots
I wonder if I can make my sidekick look like an M6D

im on mobile so, I had to zoom in to see what it was. I was hoping I was gonna see a M6D 😞.

I think the whole "cores" system sounds pretty cool.

nillapuddin

Oct 25, 2017
Looking at all the leaked weapon lists I can find and I dont think I see something else it could be. I think Vorpal might be right, a visually modified sidekick

btags

Oct 26, 2017
Gaithersburg MD
I love halo 5 but it always bothers me that with all the maps, variants, forge maps, etc. they still have a total of 3 mp maps in the social slayer Playlist. Like, why?

I hope whatever they do with infinite mp, they at least include more maps in social slayer rotation.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Eh, they're no longer selling map packs, the game's been in development for 6 years, the game was supposed to ship last year, and they briefly considered shipping multiplayer last year even after they decided to delay the campaign. Honestly, it wouldn't be shocking if the map teams have been churning out new maps steadily for ages now. They could very well have a significant stockpile of maps ready to go, especially if the core multiplayer mechanics and movement properties have been locked in for a while.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
No one gonna talk about that wrist shield that Spartan on the right has, or was this something known that I wasn't aware of.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
Eh, they're no longer selling map packs, the game's been in development for 6 years, the game was supposed to ship last year, and they briefly considered shipping multiplayer last year even after they decided to delay the campaign. Honestly, it wouldn't be shocking if the map teams have been churning out new maps steadily for ages now. They could very well have a significant stockpile of maps ready to go, especially if the core multiplayer mechanics and movement properties have been locked in for a while.
I reckon if they have got a stockpile of 20+ maps then we'll probably see a fair few of them held back to drip feed in as regular content updates.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
I love halo 5 but it always bothers me that with all the maps, variants, forge maps, etc. they still have a total of 3 mp maps in the social slayer Playlist. Like, why?

I hope whatever they do with infinite mp, they at least include more maps in social slayer rotation.

I've always been bothered by how Halo 5s playlists were managed. You'd have terrible forge maps and modes make it into the playlists and they would stay there forever, while good stuff never makes it in.