• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
regarding the ce pistol thing, funk will hate me for saying this, but MCC showed me how trash that sandbox and gameplay is.

The pistol itself is also inherently frustrating because of its reticle. So many times I hit what I THINK is a 3sk but the bullets didnt land where I thought they would. So many times I turn the corner only to be spam 3sk'd from some dude I didnt see. I LOVE how manageable the bloom was on the Infinite pistol. If the CE pistol had a bloom indicator like that one it would feel so much better to use. Would probably be more powerful unfortunately as well.

Though tbh the movement and physics of CE frustrates me a lot more than the gunplay. I think a pick up/custom CE pistol in infinite would be a fun tool. Love easter eggs like that.

Terin

Oct 31, 2017
regarding the ce pistol thing, funk will hate me for saying this, but MCC showed me how trash that sandbox and gameplay is.

The pistol itself is also inherently frustrating because of its reticle. So many times I hit what I THINK is a 3sk but the bullets didnt land where I thought they would. So many times I turn the corner only to be spam 3sk'd from some dude I didnt see. I LOVE how manageable the bloom was on the Infinite pistol. If the CE pistol had a bloom indicator like that one it would feel so much better to use. Would probably be more powerful unfortunately as well.

Though tbh the movement and physics of CE frustrates me a lot more than the gunplay. I think a pick up/custom CE pistol in infinite would be a fun tool. Love easter eggs like that.
Yeah... Halo CE to me is CTF stalemates, chilling out for a half hour try and failing to make pushes into an enemy base. Love to get a flag halfway across the top of Death Island only to have it returned. But the actual fighting in CE is just kills in less than a second with your starting loadout. No amount of "But the plasma rifle stuns!!" changes that. I do like the pickups respawning at fixed times, which 5/Infinite have run with for power weapons, at least. But the actual combat just doesn't hold up.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't go back to Halo 3 - it's even worse.
Disagree.

While bored with ODST bots, waiting for Spartan to be enabled, me and a friend played some Halo 3 doubles.

The game is still clean and had that halo rhythm I love. It also made me hate the outline system and some graphics changes more. We were playing Halo 3 wondering why this game looked better than infinite in some regards

jem

Oct 25, 2017
Disagree.

While bored with ODST bots, waiting for Spartan to be enabled, me and a friend played some Halo 3 doubles.

The game is still clean and had that halo rhythm I love. It also made me hate the outline system and some graphics changes more. We were playing Halo 3 wondering why this game looked better than infinite in some regards
It still looks clean but the core gameplay is shockingly clunky and slow in comparison.

And the weapon sandbox is just ass.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

cover4.jpg

OP
OP
FUNKNOWN iXi

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Ain't nothing wrong with not liking a game's sandbox, it's just not for you. "Trash" tho? I'll let that one slide 😏

The difficulty of use and satisfying feeling when you nail down its flow are exactly why so many CE fans love that Pistol. It's not just the Pistol either, every weapon except the Needler was viable in that multiplayer for specific reasons.

You and others may not enjoy that, but to be fair those who don't like it need to at least acknowledge its limited sandbox before throwing out wild statements like trash this, OP that lol.

Yeah... Halo CE to me is CTF stalemates, chilling out for a half hour try and failing to make pushes into an enemy base. Love to get a flag halfway across the top of Death Island only to have it returned. But the actual fighting in CE is just kills in less than a second with your starting loadout. No amount of "But the plasma rifle stuns!!" changes that. I do like the pickups respawning at fixed times, which 5/Infinite have run with for power weapons, at least. But the actual combat just doesn't hold up.
But the Plasma Rifle also instant activates Camo 😏

But seriously, explain to me in Halo 2, 3 and 4 why you'd ever need to drop the BR? How about the the DMR in Reach? You can't because the BR is just as, if not more powerful to that sandbox than the CE Pistol is to a sandbox that doesn't even include another mid ranged weapon. That simple fact should never be disregarded before people claim the Pistol is OP. No, the rest of the weapons are not useless, far from it; they just have unique traits and have their own niche in the sandbox where they are good.

CE is not perfect (it wasn't afforded the luxury of updates), but it is a phenomenal starting point to where Halo should've gone. Halo 5 was the first Halo game with a competent loadout set right from launch, every game before had to resort to lame BR starts.

Y'all are just missing perspective on this, that's all. And I don't mean to sound condescending with that, it's totally fine not to like a thing lol.

Juan

Oct 28, 2017

Was about to share this as well, I feel like Staten will be staying at 343 Industries for a long time, more than what was expected at first, aka until the launch of Halo Infinite.

Could be wrong of course, but I get the feeling he will be writing, or at least leading, the script of the following campaigns we will have later on with Halo Infinite and the overall Halo Bible for that spiritual reboot.

That's actually what makes it so relaxing to play, that's part of the games where I can just join the matchmaking with some friends, playing and chilling at the same time. I know I'm in the minority here, but I do like the slower pace of Bungie's Halo, and while 343 gameplay is impressively responsive like no Halo ever was, it always feel like each game is a sweet fest and you have to be 120% in the game if you want to make a good score.

With Infinite, I hope they will have playlist for both PvP and PvBots, so you can choose at which pace you want to enjoy the game.

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like I am missing the context -- what does this imply, lol
well the hashtag is "Launch is only the beginning" and that's the icon for screenwriting software
So it looks like Staten is sticking around to continue writing post-launch Infinite content
Because as we know, they plan to treat Infinite as a platform for new content for many years rather than moving directly onto a distinct sequel
Athough it wasnt necessarily known if Staten would stick around

Shrennin

Oct 25, 2017
My friend and I just beat Halo CE LASO. We did it all together. I got the achievement. He didn't. We looked and saw that for some reason his playlist showed 9/10 complete. It said he didn't complete Pillar of Autumn. So we go back and complete that one in the playlist since it's the first level and he now has 10/10 but still no achievement.

Any advice on this? That's way too hard of an achievement to be glitched like that.

GringoSuave89

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
LA, CA
My friend and I just beat Halo CE LASO. We did it all together. I got the achievement. He didn't. We looked and saw that for some reason his playlist showed 9/10 complete. It said he didn't complete Pillar of Autumn. So we go back and complete that one in the playlist since it's the first level and he now has 10/10 but still no achievement.

Any advice on this? That's way too hard of an achievement to be glitched like that.

MCC has always had issues with achievements popping. I've read everything from hard resetting a console to replaying levels, but I don't think there is a foolproof way. Any time it has happened to me I've just waited and it's popped hours or days later. Just some residual jank from it's first launch.

DemonCarnotaur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
well the hashtag is "Launch is only the beginning" and that's the icon for screenwriting software
So it looks like Staten is sticking around to continue writing post-launch Infinite content
Because as we know, they plan to treat Infinite as a platform for new content for many years rather than moving directly onto a distinct sequel
Athough it wasnt necessarily known if Staten would stick around
Ah
-- ok got it

Glad he's sticking around for the story stuff, I think that really should be promising. I really hope they have the freedom to do ODST style spin-offs for Infinite, and whatnot. Also, if the game ever requires it, I hope down the line they have the option to do DLC that really takes advantage of stronger hardware and is for Series S/X and PC only.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017

if you were regularly getting killed or killing someone in less than a second the someone was doing something horribly wrong.

the CE magnum is capable of killing in .6s, but the average kill times, even amongst top players was something like 1.4s - very close to a BR.

the best thing about CEs balancing that has never been replicated is how it empowers a player to take on multiple players, even though it's very difficult to do. And that's only possible because of the delta between a perfect and an average kill.

in Halo 2-5, if you get a perfect kill in a precision duel, chances are you're one shot away from death yourself. That's why the meta has become some heavily focused on teamshot and collapsing. Even if I die in a duel, my teammate can finish off my opponent, making it a wash. But in CE if you get a perfect kill , you are rewarded for your individual display of skill, by still having a substantial amount of health, and enough bullets to do it again.

the ideal starting weapon would 1) have quick perfect kills but 2) make it rare to pull off and 3) have enough ammo to let you keep fighting.

Anton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Should also be said that netcode in CE is kinda fucking trash, they didn't really improve it much from what we had in 2003 with the PC port back then

Shrennin

Oct 25, 2017
MCC has always had issues with achievements popping. I've read everything from hard resetting a console to replaying levels, but I don't think there is a foolproof way. Any time it has happened to me I've just waited and it's popped hours or days later. Just some residual jank from it's first launch.

I hope it just eventually unlocks. I hope and think it will but I just didn't want him having to have to play through it again because it's not something that's fun to just do lol

BobsReset

Chicken Chaser
Oct 26, 2017
if you were regularly getting killed or killing someone in less than a second the someone was doing something horribly wrong.

the CE magnum is capable of killing in .6s, but the average kill times, even amongst top players was something like 1.4s - very close to a BR.

the best thing about CEs balancing that has never been replicated is how it empowers a player to take on multiple players, even though it's very difficult to do. And that's only possible because of the delta between a perfect and an average kill.

in Halo 2-5, if you get a perfect kill in a precision duel, chances are you're one shot away from death yourself. That's why the meta has become some heavily focused on teamshot and collapsing. Even if I die in a duel, my teammate can finish off my opponent, making it a wash. But in CE if you get a perfect kill , you are rewarded for your individual display of skill, by still having a substantial amount of health, and enough bullets to do it again.

the ideal starting weapon would 1) have quick perfect kills but 2) make it rare to pull off and 3) have enough ammo to let you keep fighting.

I havent seen it described like this but this is such a interesting way of laying it out and is maybe one of the reasons I enjoy 'classic' Halo more than modern Halo. The balance of the weapons meaning a good player can take on multiple players for a hero play is fantastic. Modern games don't really allow for that based on how much damage you can expect to take in each encounter and I do think that move away from the possibility of individual hero plays is kind of a shame. As you say they should happen rarely but feel fantastic when they do.

to be clear the weapon sandbox is ass.

But in BR starts I fuckin love it

Yeah this! As someone who thinks a strong starting versatile weapon is all you need and Power weapons like Snipers and Rockets to fight over for map control. Halo 3 is my sweet spot. BR battles feel so good. Snipes feel satisfying. The movement is a little slow but honestly the rhythm and pace of the battles just feels SO good.

A wider weapon sandbox just means more rock paper scissor style gameplay to me and less satisfying duels where both people have the same weapon and the better player wins.

I also think Halo 3 has the best nades in the series (due to them being more about stripping shields and not getting kills directly), you can bounce them around corners, place them perfectly and use them to knock away shields opening up the enemy to a nice headshot. Nades in the more recent games have felt less precise and more powerful, so nade spam becomes more of an issue. In Halo 5 for example it feels like the play is to get a few nades towards an enemy position and you might be rewarded with the kill as opposed to using a nade to weaken someone you can then go push on.

Señor Sepia

Aug 2, 2020
What
Halo 3 is not the best at being a competitive shooter, but its the one that has the best physics, vehicles and overwall "social and fun" factor, i hope Infinite also has something like that because H5 was fantastic as a competitive game but the game sucked unless you wanted to go full mlg, warzone did nothing for me since i hate post H3 vehicles in the series.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've (purposely) not really followed closely where Halo: Infinite's story is expected to go.

With that said, does anyone know which Halo games would be beneficial to play through before Infinite drops? I've played through the whole series several times, but it's been about 3 years since I last played through them all. I'm not interested in playing through them all again right now, but if it'd make sense to play through, say Halo 4 and 5 before diving into Infinite, I'd be down for that.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
I've (purposely) not really followed closely where Halo: Infinite's story is expected to go.

With that said, does anyone know which Halo games would be beneficial to play through before Infinite drops? I've played through the whole series several times, but it's been about 3 years since I last played through them all. I'm not interested in playing through them all again right now, but if it'd make sense to play through, say Halo 4 and 5 before diving into Infinite, I'd be down for that.

Probably Halo 5 and Halo Wars 2.

GringoSuave89

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
LA, CA

4 and 5 will likely have you caught up for this story. Obviously there's been a lot of tie in novels and the like that would help, and there's also Halo Wars 2 that introduced the Banished, but those aren't mainline and may not interest you otherwise.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017

I've gotten the sense that Halo Infinite will be a good entry point in and of itself.

Halo 5 ended on a cliff hanger, but rather than follow up on that lead, we're jumping 5 years into the future, where Halo 4 and 5 can be handwaved.

I expect this installment to feel similar to Halo: CE, where we wake up in the middle of a warzone and the player is introduced to a new central threat.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
Should also be said that netcode in CE is kinda fucking trash, they didn't really improve it much from what we had in 2003 with the PC port back then
That is definitely not the case. MCC is like, the first time CE has ever been really properly playable online and that in itself is something of a miracle. It's not the greatest netcode, but, like, you can actually play the game, you can actually melee someone that's not standing perfectly still. The original Halo PC port has -- without hyperbole -- the worst netcode in an FPS of its caliber, I can't think of anything else coming close.

Señor Sepia

Aug 2, 2020
What
That is definitely not the case. MCC is like, the first time CE has ever been really properly playable online and that in itself is something of a miracle. It's not the greatest netcode, but, like, you can actually play the game, you can actually melee someone that's not standing perfectly still. The original Halo PC port has -- without hyperbole -- the worst netcode in an FPS of its caliber, I can't think of anything else coming close.
It actually messes with my aiming because i try to play it like the PC version from 20 years ago and HCE in the MCC works much better.

Defect

Oct 25, 2017
AR should just be a pickup if it's going to stay the way it is. It feels like a Saw replacement lol

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
AR should just be a pickup if it's going to stay the way it is. It feels like a Saw replacement lol

that's actually not a bad comparison.

they need to just up the min TTK to match the BR. They could keep all the aim assists, and headshot bonus… it would be a utility-auto, sorta like the Gears of War Lancer.

Anton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

Based on a number of tests by the CE competitive community, all they really did was make pistol and sniper client based registration whilst the rest is still server side so you still need to lead with them, as you can see in this video where the guy can't hit the other player because of needing to lead for the high ping:

Personally having played in private servers with the old port it's still pretty terrible, but MCC is not much of a tangible improvement and they just need to write it from scratch instead of retrofitting what Gearbox had.

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Personally having played in private servers with the old port it's still pretty terrible, but MCC is not much of a tangible improvement and they just need to write it from scratch instead of retrofitting what Gearbox had.
You can't really "just" rewrite an entire netcode. That's very unlikely to happen.

OP
OP
FUNKNOWN iXi

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
MCC is significantly better than aiming 5 minutes ahead on XBC, GameSpy, XLink, etc., I'll tell you that lol.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
Based on a number of tests by the CE competitive community, all they really did was make pistol and sniper client based registration whilst the rest is still server side so you still need to lead with them, as you can see in this video where the guy can't hit the other player because of needing to lead for the high ping:

Oh yeah there's a lot of variance to hitreg and wonkiness based on player ping and server used, but my god it can not be understated what an absolute catastrophe the Halo PC netcode was. You could not melee at all. It was effectively impossible. Vehicles would warp everywhere, anything that was hit with explosives would warp. The PC port's netcode turned Halo into an altogether different game, but MCC still approximates the CE experience reasonably enough.

zooj

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ames, IA
For those that played: How does it feel using the bulldog and skewer in combat? What would you change about them if anything?
I had a lot more fun using the bulldog than I thought I would. Definitely a different beast than other shotguns that came before, but I don't think I'd change it from it's current state.

The skewer is also fun, but tough to pull off infantry kills with it. It feels like a heavy sniper in an Arena context, but I think it's really gonna shine in BTB against vehicles.

Sr Kitsune

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Baja California, Mexico
Speaking of Skewer, do we know how many Skewer shots are needed to destroy a vehicle? I hope it's 2 minimum. With the first one doing heavy damage and displacement.

I dont want another spartan laser... (In the sense of one shooting vehicles, and hard shutting down vehicle play)

Last edited:
OP
OP
FUNKNOWN iXi

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I had a lot more fun using the bulldog than I thought I would. Definitely a different beast than other shotguns that came before, but I don't think I'd change it from it's current state.

The skewer is also fun, but tough to pull off infantry kills with it. It feels like a heavy sniper in an Arena context, but I think it's really gonna shine in BTB against vehicles.
Skewer in BTB should hopefully be really, really fun. Can't wait to snipe a Banshee from deep 😎
Speaking of Skewer, do we know how many Skewer shots are needed to destroy s vehicle? I hope it's 2. With the first one doing heavy damage and displacement.

I dont want another spartan laser... (In the sense of one shooting vehicles, and hard shutting down vehicle play)
Depends on the vehicle. Spitballing:
Against Hogs I hope it's 3, with the second shot putting the Hog in a doom state, third shot to finish it off.​
Ghost, Mongoose, Wasp: One shot the fuckers​
Chopper, Banshee: 2 shots​
Scorpion, Wraith: 4 shots​

Sr Kitsune

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Baja California, Mexico
Yeah, it would make sense for some vehicles to take more shots than others. Edited my post because I meant at least 2 shots lol.

I could live with the Skewer killing in less shots than the usual (like 2 instead of 4 for the Scorpion) if hitting "weak" spots. IRC Halo 3 did this, but my memory isn't great.

I think the ghost should take 2 shots too.

Some reward for hitting the spartan instead of the vehicle.

Also they should totally have that if you hit the player instead of the ghost. When the ghost is moving horizontal from you (ie from your left to the right, not towards you), the Skewer shot just kills and pins the body in the direction of your shot. And the ghost continues in it's direction. It would be hilarious lol

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
skewer seems like it 2 shots a hog but may have the capability to one shot the drive/gunner/passenger.

i think that's fine.

it's a little easy to hit vehicles with it but it's gonna be tempting to hit players too.

Tactical Tumbler

Sr QA Analyst
Verified
May 26, 2021
We see it knock over/flip a speeding warthog in the MP reveal trailer so even it isn't a one shot that hog will be out of commission for a bit.