• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah no, that looks terrible.
6518.fireteam_2D00_osiris_2D00_all.jpg

I always thought the Halo 4/5 spartan armor looked too sleek/power rangers esque.

Buck looks good. Tanaka ok. Some of it is way to sleek looking

darthbob

One Winged Slayer
Nov 20, 2017
Regarding Halo CE's graphical fixes from the latest MCC update, are there still any outstanding issues that haven't been addressed?

Looks like they got the big ones, transparency effects and bumpmaps, but anything else?

I did notice that the dirt texture on T&R looked sort of flat without a lightsource revealing all it's bumpiness, but that's about it.

Anton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Regarding Halo CE's graphical fixes from the latest MCC update, are there still any outstanding issues that haven't been addressed?

Looks like they got the big ones, transparency effects and bumpmaps, but anything else?

I did notice that the dirt texture on T&R looked sort of flat without a lightsource revealing all it's bumpiness, but that's about it.
Multipurpose maps are still kinda fucked, instead of checking and replacing all of them with the Xbox ones they just seemed to target the most noticeable cases when pretty much all of them are just black thanks to whatever tool Gearbox was using, don't think they realise that they're all broke which is why it was missed. Other than that they've got some sort of regression in the way interpolation applies to certain animated textures, it worked properly in the flight but the full patch seemed to break it somehow and now things like the little animated console behind Keyes don't animate at the correct rate.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
The redesign, aside from all the grenades looks great. However, I also thought the original design was great.

Oct 26, 2017
www.videogameschronicle.com

Xbox says Halo Infinite will not ‘make or break’ the franchise | VGC

“Halo will be here 10 years from now” regardless of how Infinite is received…
> Will not make or break the franchise
> Spends 6 years to make a game that plays it as safe as possible

6518.fireteam_2D00_osiris_2D00_all.jpg

I always thought the Halo 4/5 spartan armor looked too sleek/power rangers esque.

Buck looks good. Tanaka ok. Some of it is way to sleek looking

Wasn't a fan of them, all too sleek and/or overdesigned for my liking. I think Buck, Tanaka, and Locke's could be salvaged with the Infinite art style, but Vale doesn't even look like she's from Halo. Buck's is probably the best, but his helmet has that weird thing around it that looks like a neck pillow.

darthbob

One Winged Slayer
Nov 20, 2017
Multipurpose maps are still kinda fucked, instead of checking and replacing all of them with the Xbox ones they just seemed to target the most noticeable cases when pretty much all of them are just black thanks to whatever tool Gearbox was using, don't think they realise that they're all broke which is why it was missed. Other than that they've got some sort of regression in the way interpolation applies to certain animated textures, it worked properly in the flight but the full patch seemed to break it somehow and now things like the little animated console behind Keyes don't animate at the correct rate.
Good to know. Progress so far has been good to see, and the major bugs seem to have been ironed out.

Strange about the maps you mention, I noticed on TSC, the glowy Forerunner animated textures still aren't glowing properly. Is that what you're referring to, or when you say maps, the BSP structures in the .map files?

Oct 25, 2017
Good to know. Progress so far has been good to see, and the major bugs seem to have been ironed out.

Strange about the maps you mention, I noticed on TSC, the glowy Forerunner animated textures still aren't glowing properly. Is that what you're referring to, or when you say maps, the BSP structures in the .map files?
this video also does a good job of highlighting things that were fixed and some things that still are not fixed https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kofbdbfSSs4

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
> Will not make or break the franchise
> Spends 6 years to make a game that plays it as safe as possible

Wasn't a fan of them, all too sleek and/or overdesigned for my liking. I think Buck, Tanaka, and Locke's could be salvaged with the Infinite art style, but Vale doesn't even look like she's from Halo. Buck's is probably the best, but his helmet has that weird thing around it that looks like a neck pillow.
Vale I think sells well as a really cutting-edge prototype for, and I think this is important, an expert on aliens. It looks alien, which is good for her. Maybe not super applicable to the general population of Spartans, though.
I don't even think bulky is the right word. Some were downright bulbous.
Bulbous is definitely the word I'd use for the more out-there H4/5 looks.

Oct 26, 2017
Vale I think sells well as a really cutting-edge prototype for, and I think this is important, an expert on aliens. It looks alien, which is good for her. Maybe not super applicable to the general population of Spartans, though.
It's a personal bias for sure, I'm the kind of guy who wouldn't mind let's say Blue Team being slight variations of Chief's armor. Never been a fan of armor that deviates too far from the core of Mjolnir design, even if it is a reflection of said character. If she is in Infinite they should give her Anubis if they care about lore parallels.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
It's a personal bias for sure, I'm the kind of guy who wouldn't mind let's say Blue Team being slight variations of Chief's armor. Never been a fan of armor that deviates too far from the core of Mjolnir design, even if it is a reflection of said character. If she is in Infinite they should give her Anubis if they care about lore parallels.
Well, the S2s are kind of a different ballgame. I'd agree that they should all look pretty much like Chief. Lore accurate and all that.

Oct 26, 2017
Well, the S2s are kind of a different ballgame. I'd agree that they should all look pretty much like Chief. Lore accurate and all that.
In regard to S4s I like the direction 343i is going with them overall in Infinite, but I prefer the armor to look more practical and "Halo" than more out there for actual characters, which is what I mean in terms of my dislike for Vale's. But like I said, I'm biased cause I really dislike a vast majority of 343i's designs.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I dunno what magic of post war economy the UNSC pulled

but one set of MJOLNIR armor was said to cost as much as warship or more. Now we got companies churning out all these variations lol

Nov 14, 2017

but one set of MJOLNIR armor was said to cost as much as warship or more. Now we got companies churning out all these variations lol
For the first generation, presumably with hefty R&D costs. Iteration and investment over time would bring those down. Fast forward a few decades and there was like what, a couple of months between Chief getting Mark V and Mark VI? And then GEN2 came shortly after the war. At least they stuck with it for a few years, imagine all the supersoldiers pushing 50 having to reinstall their apps and adjust settings on a new suit of armour every 6 months.

Nessii013

May 31, 2019

After Halo 3, the UNSC experienced a boom due to Forerunner tech, shared learning with Sangheili allies, and black market deals from the budding piracy trade (though that's more the colonies). They also were intent on no longer being the weakest civ out there anymore tech-wise.

Forerunner tech is main reason though I think, humanity happens to come across a lot of it and are generally the only ones who can use it since it unlocks for their genes.

Anton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

Multipurpose maps don't refer to maps as in levels, it's a type of shader Halo uses for detail masking, diffuse, specularity and colour modulation. They are all governed by RGBA, but when Gearbox converted the assets over whatever compression it had or some bug in the tools made all of them turn completely black so they were technically in the game just not properly visible as a result.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For the first generation, presumably with hefty R&D costs. Iteration and investment over time would bring those down. Fast forward a few decades and there was like what, a couple of months between Chief getting Mark V and Mark VI? And then GEN2 came shortly after the war. At least they stuck with it for a few years, imagine all the supersoldiers pushing 50 having to reinstall their apps and adjust settings on a new suit of armour every 6 months.

Imagining some zoomer spartan 4 teaching chief how to grapple

Chief "Bleh back in my day we would use physics glitches to get to these hard to reach places"

Masterspeed

Oct 25, 2017
England
Has there been any word on fall damage yet? I really don't want to worry about messing up my grapple and flying half way down the mountain to my doom.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
Has there been any word on fall damage yet? I really don't want to worry about messing up my grapple and flying half way down the mountain to my doom.
No fall damage seemingly happens to the Spartan that grappled to the roof and pulled off that no scope and then fell the entire height of Recharge.

Fall damage in campaign seems counter to how 343 would want you to explore the levels. An unneeded restriction.

darthbob

One Winged Slayer
Nov 20, 2017
Multipurpose maps don't refer to maps as in levels, it's a type of shader Halo uses for detail masking, diffuse, specularity and colour modulation. They are all governed by RGBA, but when Gearbox converted the assets over whatever compression it had or some bug in the tools made all of them turn completely black so they were technically in the game just not properly visible as a result.
Ahhh, interesting. Thank you for the explanation with that. Hopefully those will get fixed in the future.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think reintroducing fall damage in Halo wasnt well received. Doubt we will see it in a mainline game with spartans again

Ramirez

Oct 26, 2017
First time playing H5 in a year, I boot up roaming king, my fav! Back to back games against the same squad that decimated me, lol. Is the population that bad?

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I routinely face the same squads in MCC and it has a much larger pop than H5. So I can't even imagine H5 anymore. lol

dozens_of_us_arrested_development.gif

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
So I've seen people talk about putting the flag on your back but I haven't seen anyone mention that it's your team's flag. My theory is you can carry your own flag back to base to return. I think sprint kind of breaks the old system with opponents spawning and sprinting towards the dropped flag so this would help mitigate that.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Of all of the things to get me to revisit Halo, the recent Digital Foundry detailing the restoration of the some of the original graphics and effects of the classic presentation of Halo is what got me to re-download Master Chief Collection on my Series X. This is the first time I've played it on Series X, and in fact the first time I've tried to play MCC at all since ODST got added to it back on Xbox One.

I'm hooked again. Everything I'm experiencing, just starting with Halo and moving forward, is hitting just right for me at the moment. This feels absolutely glorious.

Good to be back. I need to dive some deeper lore with this current wave I'm riding, too.

Oddly enough, I've been quietly anticipating Halo Infinite but I don't think any Halo Infinite marketing has contributed to this current vibe at all. I legit had no interest in revisiting classic Halo at all until I watched DF's video. What a peculiar way to re-trigger Halo excitement.

Tomash

Oct 25, 2017
First time playing H5 in a year, I boot up roaming king, my fav! Back to back games against the same squad that decimated me, lol. Is the population that bad?
Try Solo/DuoQ Team Arena. I had 55% win rate with K/D just under 1 over 150 games combined from Winter and Spring 2021 Seasons. Haven't played since then because I finished the last challenge for Magnum skins.
Since Spring 2020 matchmaking in Halo 5 is set up in such a way to let everyone play, disregarding fairness. During Spring 2018-Spring 2020, matches in most playlists had to comply with 60/40 rule, lower skilled team had to have to at least 40% chance to win. With that gone, full parties can now always find matches and ruin your day. No full parties in SoloQ Team Arena.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
Hope we get Ice Box next season. I know it's Halo 2 focused but Ice Box should have been the first map ported. Would love to see Reactor, Diamondback and Skybridge as well of course.

Masterspeed

Oct 25, 2017
England
So I've seen people talk about putting the flag on your back but I haven't seen anyone mention that it's your team's flag. My theory is you can carry your own flag back to base to return. I think sprint kind of breaks the old system with opponents spawning and sprinting towards the dropped flag so this would help mitigate that.

Oh please no. Halo has enough greifers as it is, I can just see people taking the flag and never returning it back to base.