• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DemonCarnotaur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I'm confused, is fake-tana implying that Cortana wasn't deleted because she herself is still there and not deleted like she was supposed to be? And implying that someone else who looks like Chief took Cortana? - "If that wasn't you... ok then" ... What
Yeah, I mean, I think that's gonna be the story -- wtf REALLY happened to Cortana

I can't imagine she was actually dealt with off screen entirely, so I think we'll get more there

HTupolev

Oct 27, 2017
The audio in the MP reveal is leaving me skeptical. Those meaty percussive thumps seem homogenous and overbearing, the sort of thing which leaves a "punchy" impression in a trailer but isn't necessarily conducive to crisp and readable gameplay. It'll be interesting to see what the soundscape is like when we're not just looking at brief snippets.

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It seems to me like Chief's mission went wrong once he took Cortana, leading to him drifting in space, after the UNSC defeat, with an apparent loss of memory.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
I prescribe the short story "Human Weakness" as reading material homework for everyone. Karen Traviss' best contribution.

Also take another gander at 2 other early 343 contributions yet again: Halsey's Journal and Halo Legends Origins Part 1 and 2.

It all still fits. I am NOT crazy.

Vespa

Oct 26, 2017
I dunno, I just think it's weird they setup up so close to a human base, they've let off some flares also, so they're pretty noticeable. I find it weird they didn't react to the Pelican flying overhead too but it's hard to say as they move just out of frame. It's probably nitpicking but if the base gets regular pelican visits you would think the intel of an enemy encampment so close would be of concern.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
The 3 Arena maps and 1 BTB map they showed sure feels like the potential flight lineup.

Moose

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like it's a dev diary so it'll mostly be faces talking to a camera with snippets of gameplay.

AustinFordGames

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
New Braunfels, Texas

Tactical Tumbler

Sr QA Analyst
Verified
May 26, 2021
I think it's just staged gameplay instead of it being rocket race, lol

There's a dude on foot with a sniper at the beginning of the clip

Green

Oct 27, 2017
It looks like a gameplay hybrid of Halo 3 and Halo 5, with a art design evocative in a good way to Reach.

I'm loving it. The texture work and armour design here:
TXdfOKv.png

gtVBBPc.jpg

You got peeled paint, brick underneath, Finish the Fight and Travel posters, grafittis. All sorts of layers going on. This looks a lot like Outskirts/Turf/District.

Also Kuku's Cafe!

--

And Sergeant Johnson's Academy:
xzV5Ab8.png

Miker

Oct 25, 2017
Campaign gameplay being MIA is a red flag to me, imo. I thought that the E3 2020 footage looked fun as hell even if it looked like a fancier Halo 5 technically speaking, and I wanted to see more of the emergent large-scale gameplay that they've been promising. Show me how Halo benefits going open world (or at least wide linear). I want to buy what they're selling but they didn't show anything this year. Given the campaign is ostensibly a $60 product, they have to show it off in a better light.

Multiplayer looks great. Clearly Halo 3 inspired with equipment pickups. I was never a huge fan of Halo 3's equipment as a core gameplay tenet because all the equipment was boring. Deployable shields, power drains, regenerators, power drains, all equipment was so damn dull. Here, at least, they seem much more exciting with the grappleshot, repulsor (?), and I guess even the drop shield looks like it could be interesting to play and counter-play. The sandbox looks fairly diverse in general, though I wish they would add a legitimately new vehicle archetype rather than the classic vehicles with some Covenant/Banished twists.

Green

Oct 27, 2017

I'm in the camp that it's no big deal so long as their ample info that an enemy is bad. Which if I'm being honest, is like 90% reticle and 10% armour colour for me.

I like the way Rocket League handles it: choose your colour for Red and Blue teams, both a colour wheel of their respective colour temperatures. Reds, Yellows, Oranges, and Pinks etc. versus Blues, Purples and Indigos and Greens.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in the camp that it's no big deal so long as their ample info that an enemy is bad. Which if I'm being honest, is like 90% reticle and 10% armour colour for me.

I like the way Rocket League handles it: choose your colour for Red and Blue teams, both a colour wheel of their respective colour temperatures. Reds, Yellows, Oranges, and Pinks etc. versus Blues, Purples and Indigos and Greens.
Back when we found out about the coating system I said that either RvB was gone or the coatings were gonna be pretty pointless. I'm fine with it being gone since it's just a nostalgia thing at this point. It's not like I'm ever gonna be confused at it being an enemy or friendly. Essentially no other game does RvB and people aren't confused by the sight of another player, so we'll be 100% fine.

I'm sure there will be a huge backlash on Reddit or whatever just because they don't want things to change.

Prinz Eugn

Oct 25, 2017
A gigantic red herring and everyone is falling for it.

I also read it as a kind of lazy reset so we can hang out with Cortana 2, and I hope it's not just that, but given 343i's history of large story shifts, I think it really might be just that.

But, it could also be more, it's hard to tell -they did also try to write away the Didact in the extended universe after 4, and make Locke a main character for the franchise in 5.

OP
OP
FUNKNOWN iXi

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I also read it as a kind of lazy reset so we can hang out with Cortana 2, and I hope it's not just that, but given 343i's history of large story shifts, I think it really might be just that.

But, it could also be more, it's hard to tell -they did also try to write away the Didact in the extended universe after 4, and make Locke a main character for the franchise in 5.
Yeah, that's the crazy thing. Initially it seemed like an obvious setup and misdirect, but considering the history.. it really could just be a new Cortana while Rampant Cortana may never be explained in the games.

AustinFordGames

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
New Braunfels, Texas

Still convinced that the Harbinger that was mentioned last year in the gameplay demo and the person who stole Cortana is Didact. I don't actually think that's what's going on, I imagine that's probably a little too intense for new players picking up the campaign because their friend convinced them to, but a girl can dream

Moose

Oct 25, 2017
I'm guessing Mendicant Bias has something to do with Cortana and Newtana's preservation and I bet Newtana disappears at some point into the domain too because she was there in last year's demo and that seemed to be later in the game.

Terin

Oct 31, 2017
Really liking the idea of the Academy, hopefully giving a place to teach players some more advanced tactics like map control, specific jumps, fun equipment combos, etc. Bot matches are something I've low-key wanted for a while, as well. Wonder if they'll work on forge maps.

So with Promethean weapons back do we think they're also in SP?
unknown.png

Are you talking about this? I don't think that's Promethean, seems like a Railgun inspired by a Scattershot, but still rooted in human tech.

I thought Cortana was physical now? Didn't that happen in Halo 5? Am I crazy?
Been a while, but I figured that was a case of being an AI connected to a galactic network, plus hardlight. She can appear wherever, but was still rooted in the network.

Nov 7, 2019
You're working tomorrow but all you'll be thinking about is Halo Infinite.

Here's a 4 and a half hour podcast:
open.spotify.com

Episode 94: If You Knew You Were Going To Die

Listen to this episode from Sacred Icon on Spotify. This is the episode that took blood, sweat and tears. Our Halo Infinite E3 2021 coverage. Sacred Icon has been so rewarding. That's because Halo fans are the best fans.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Really liking the idea of the Academy, hopefully giving a place to teach players some more advanced tactics like map control, specific jumps, fun equipment combos, etc. Bot matches are something I've low-key wanted for a while, as well. Wonder if they'll work on forge maps.

unknown.png

Are you talking about this? I don't think that's Promethean, seems like a Railgun inspired by a Scattershot, but still rooted in human tech.

Been a while, but I figured that was a case of being an AI connected to a galactic network, plus hardlight. She can appear wherever, but was still rooted in the network.
It's been years, but my memory was that she was literally "reverse composed" and turned to actual flesh. Maybe I just filled in the "how" myself and she just kept doing the hard light thing after H4 though.

Moose

Oct 25, 2017
That gun absolutely looks forerunner but not necessarily Promethean.

DemonCarnotaur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
NYC

unknown.png

I suppose it could be UNSC, but it almost looks like a new take on Forerunner weaponry, specifically the Incineration Cannon

Prinz Eugn

Oct 25, 2017
I'm guessing Mendicant Bias has something to do with Cortana and Newtana's preservation and I bet Newtana disappears at some point into the domain too because she was there in last year's demo and that seemed to be later in the game.

Or - hear me out - what if Locke was the Gravemind all along?

But really, I doubt it's Mendicant Bias, if anything I think 343 Guilty Spark would be the Forerunner ex machina for something like that. It's probably actually something stupid like the Warden Eternal changed his mind about the mantle and opened a back door to let them balete Cortana, and we'll get to find out about it in a Mega Blocks construction manual.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
unknown.png

The death animation looks Promethean but if that's a human weapon how the hell did they lose Zeta Halo? A thousand of those and the Banished get destroyed.

Or it's Banished and that's how they won lol.

AustinFordGames

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
New Braunfels, Texas
Or - hear me out - what if Locke was the Gravemind all along?

But really, I doubt it's Mendicant Bias, if anything I think 343 Guilty Spark would be the Forerunner ex machina for something like that. It's probably actually something stupid like the Warden Eternal changed his mind about the mantle and opened a back door to let them balete Cortana, and we'll get to find out about it in a Mega Blocks construction manual.
I feel like what's actually gonna happen is this new Cortana is going to enter the domain via a console on Zeta Halo, and it'll be there where the two Cortanas will merge, and we get the line we got from The trailer in 2019. I imagine that it'll be a sliver of OG Cortana so that big bad Cortana can still exist.

Idk, I'm tired and a little drunk

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
1) It's Promethean weaponry and they were just heavily redesigned
2) It's non-Promethean Forerunner weaponry
3) It's reverse-engineered Promethean weaponry

I'm saying 2 or 3.

On another note, oh my God, while it might not be a technical showcase, from a general visual design standpoint everything is so, so, so much better. So clean.

Last edited:

Terin

Oct 31, 2017
Was just about to say, yeah, it could be reverse-engineered like with some Infinity tech, so it's a limited quantity weapon in-fiction. And/or it breaks the backs of marines firing it, but that didn't really stop the Splaser.

Definitely would prefer it being non-Promethean though, yeah, and maybe a weapon you'd get off of boss Forerunner enemies. They don't need to be a full faction with their own auto weapons/shotguns/precision weapons/sidearms, just sentinels plus some imposing, silent machines that can dominate the field once the Flood inevitably get unleashed. Something like that is what I'm leaning towards.

DemonCarnotaur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
1) It's Promethean weaponry and they were just heavily redesigned
2) It's non-Promethean Forerunner weaponry
3) It's reverse-engineering Promethean weaponry

I'm saying 2 or 3.

On another note, oh my God, while it might not be a technical showcase, from a general visual design standpoint everything is so, so, so much better. So clean.
A redesign would make sense, as they went back to classic Halo art style for the game, I imagine that means they would take a new look at the Prometheans should they appear.