• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ATOMICJORGE

Oct 25, 2017
E3t0RgLXwAIZkYr

E3t0RG3WYAAuTRw

Those gift's that I just received have arrived just in time for E3 2021, I'm now 100% ready for tomorrow!, shoutouts to @GameplanetMX for the gits and the killer designs of the clothes!

Juan

Oct 28, 2017
I feel like they would be missing the mark a little bit starting the 20th anniversary with stuff from not the first game, if we are going with themed passes like that. I'll hold out judgements till we know more

Well, it's not like there're a ton of options for Spartan customzation which could from Halo CE, apart from one set of armour which will, I guess, be included in the base package that is Halo Infinite armoury.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
As long as the bots aren't in ranked and completely brain dead. The bots in Battlefront 2 probably have better aim and reaction time than a lot of players so it's possible.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
What do you guys think about the possibility of 343 getting rid of Red vs Blue?

I've seen rumours floating around indicating as such.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017

I hate the idea. People say "Well other shooters do it successfully!" But they really don't I see people complain about visibility in those game all of the time.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017

I know it's iconic to the series and all that but it's time to move on to better methods of team marking. Outlines or colored nameplates or something. Even setting aside the stuff about showing customization, how many times have we run into problems where one team or the other would have a real advantage due to map coloration?

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017

I mean, it makes sense. The game will be all about pushing customization, which is largely lost in the red vs blue world. I'm hoping its present in at least a toggle or "HCS" 4v4 playlist(s)

jem

Oct 25, 2017
I know it's iconic to the series and all that but it's time to move on to better methods of team marking. Outlines or colored nameplates or something. Even setting aside the stuff about showing customization, how many times have we run into problems where one team or the other would have a real advantage due to map coloration?
Coloured name tags have been a thing since forever no?

Personally i'm worried that there will be a skin which is outright difficult to see and everyone will pick it as a result.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, it makes sense. The game will be all about pushing customization, which is largely lost in the red vs blue world. I'm hoping its present in at least a toggle or "HCS" 4v4 playlist(s)
This is how i feel, i wouldn't be against removing red vs blue as default as long as the option exists to use it via a toggle or something.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
It'd be a huge self own if they didn't include a toggle to keep red vs blue.

There would be next to no downsides to it and it would avoid a lot of unnecessary bad PR

Agreed. But this is 343 and it would seem par for the course.

And this is coming from someone that has faith in 343!

Juan

Oct 28, 2017
I know it's iconic to the series and all that but it's time to move on to better methods of team marking.

Ton of games tried all of those said methods, none of them successfully find a suitable solution.

Nothing would be more appropriate for defining players in the wild than similar colours for teams, with vivid colours against a defined environment. When you're looking where and who to shoot at, you're looking at players models, not their nameplate above their head of such. Unless you're colour blind (and even there, if you change the luminescence, you can have a similar effect to Red vs Blue), I've not seen a better solution in any shooter I experienced, even Destiny can be quite confusing from time to time.

I disagree with the idea that "it's time to change", if something works, keep building on it, no need to re-invent the wheel unless with a very specific purpose in mind, and a better solution.

But I'm not too worried, I don't think they will change this, they learned the lesson (I hope) from taking away the Red Cross in Halo 4 and the unscope when you were being fired at, and they saw the huge backlash that it was.

They're putting a lot fo their eggs in the same boat with Infinite, and I don't think it's one of the thing they would challenge at the moment, at least for classic 4v4 Arena combat.

But, for that specific Big BTB mode? Why not, it could definitely be a thing and be okay actually.

OP
OP
FUNKNOWN iXi

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ranked RvB, Social colorful (realistically just greys and blacks).

EDIT: Hope everyone's ready for The Great Sprint Debate ™ to fire up again.

Last edited:

Moose

Oct 25, 2017
For the multiplayer reveal I hope they frame it as fun with friends rather than esports. The esports shoutcasting really sucks.

Oct 25, 2017

i would be sad
but
i get it
and I would enjoy the improved customization visibility

If they're ditching the team colors, they'll probably stick to what just about every other multiplayer game already does. Blue names/symbols persistent above friendlies, enemies unmarked (with red reticle on hover). It's a tried and true method that works fine. And the flags/bases can still remain color coded. You can still be on "blue" team at blue base protecting blue flag without having to wear blue. Master Chief is on Blue Team, but he wears green. As long as friendlies are marked we'll be okay.
I understand the reasoning around possibly leaving it behind. Removing forced team colors but keeping the remaining/existing functionality would ultimately affect gameplay relatively little and put it on par with most other multiplayer games, while allowing a greater focus on customization. It has worked out just fine for games like rainbow six seige, call of duty, battlefield, apex legends, destiny 2 or counter strike. It's basically been the standard for many years already. We're already used to it in other games, it's just a bit of a shock when applied to halo. Makes us old halo fogeys cry, but we'll get over it.
I've also occasionally heard complaints these past two decades about one team or the other having advantages on certain maps due to their team colors. Frequently blues, because scifi has a lot of blue in it and thus a lot of halo maps. So competition could end up becoming more fair with tournaments having coating requirements or some sort of neutral standard for all players involved.
It's tough to swallow but ultimately I could deal. And just because we're not wearing team colors anymore doesn't necessarily mean that blue team/base/flag isn't a thing anymore, reds vs blues could still remain. But it would be our base/team, not our armor. Like Chief.

It's fine. Just please don't do gaudy ass outlines. Too visually disruptive. The usual method (marked teammates) is fine.
Do me a favor and retain red/blue base/flag/team even if I'm not wearing it anymore.

Last edited:

Terin

Oct 31, 2017
Just kick it off with four player split screen couch MP. Boom.
Great idea in theory, but I don't think it'd play while we're still in a pandemic.

It's fine. Just please don't do gaudy ass outlines. Too visually disruptive. The usual method (marked teammates) is fine.
God, that reminds me it's how I played Halo 1 back on PC. My computer couldn't run the shaders to color player armor, so everyone had white armor with a black void where the visor was. All I had to run on was the tiny green arrow above someone's head, and that could blend into grass on Blood Gulch or Danger Canyon pretty badly.

If the teammate tags were better than that, I'd be totally fine. And yeah, the occasional time I play FFA on MCC, I'm delighted by all the potential colors around. Half the lobby is usually the default green or a dark color, but there's usually nice stuff on the other half. It'd be great to have that as actually part of the game.

Oct 25, 2017
Guys,
7drHiqr.gif

Jun 13, 2021 at 1:00 PM
Lub7A7c.gif

God, that reminds me it's how I played Halo 1 back on PC. My computer couldn't run the shaders to color player armor, so everyone had white armor with a black void where the visor was. All I had to run on was the tiny green arrow above someone's head, and that could blend into grass on Blood Gulch or Danger Canyon pretty badly.

If the teammate tags were better than that, I'd be totally fine. And yeah, the occasional time I play FFA on MCC, I'm delighted by all the potential colors around. Half the lobby is usually the default green or a dark color, but there's usually nice stuff on the other half. It'd be great to have that as actually part of the game.

I had the same experience when I first started playing the PC version. It was a bit before I got a videocard. But when I finally got that radeon 9600 it felt good.
Not many images of that particular halo experience exist online. I had posted this image in the recent past, here it is again to stir some memories:
PscgUxY.jpg

Last edited:

Terin

Oct 31, 2017
Real curious if there's going to be any more single player with this, and what the response to that would be. We're at what, 11 months? That's a long time in some ways, but Infinite's still going to be Infinite. Wonder how that would play after all this silence.

Totally up for the multiplayer, though, definitely looking forward to that.

It wouldn't be that big of a deal lol
Mostly a combination of:

A) Most of the world still can't safely gather together to play splitscreen
B) We don't know what the world will look like in 5 months

That makes it a rough area to dance around in. They could lean into something like "Play co-op with your quarantine buddies!". Wouldn't be as bad, but still not quite right, so it'd probably just be a more traditional showcase of it.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
is it safe to say that they're just writing off halo 5 as not worth it to port to PC? it's the only one i haven't played but i'm not going to run out and buy an xbox when everything else halo is on pc.

Oct 17, 2018
I still find it so painful that the PC playerbase got Halo Reach first. Hundreds of thousands of peoples first experience with Halo was Reach. No wonder the player count died so fast on Steam.

Moose

Oct 25, 2017
is it safe to say that they're just writing off halo 5 as not worth it to port to PC? it's the only one i haven't played but i'm not going to run out and buy an xbox when everything else halo is on pc.
It'll eventually make it but probably not on MCC.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Can't believe it's been almost a year since we last saw this game. Hope the extra time paid off. Can't wait.

Moose

Oct 25, 2017
Ready to be disappointed in a way I'm not even expecting.

Oct 25, 2017
Ready to be disappointed in a way I'm not even expecting.
343 is reportedly ready to reveal a new mechanic for Halo Infinite called "no wielding." Frank O'Conway made this comment to Tokatu: "Dual wielding made sandbox balancing difficult and, while a cool feature, was ultimately not embraced by fans in the long term. So we decided to push hard in the opposite direction. We hope fans enjoy the simplified sandbox of having no weapons."

Last edited:

Masterspeed

Oct 25, 2017
England
I'm excited. I think the grapple hook in multiplayer will change Halo for either good or bad. I personally don't want the grapple hook in multiplayer, but oh well, it's still Halo to me.