• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

JDHarbs

Oct 28, 2017
This game is going to look a whole lot different with ray tracing. I'm reserving my judgement on the visuals until then since it was likely built with ray tracing in mind hence the lack of shadows and simpler textures/materials on the demo version.

There's a lot more work that goes into fake lighting/shadows/reflections that we're used to seeing in games over the past decades when all of that comes naturally with ray tracing.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
This game is going to look a whole lot different with ray tracing. I'm reserving my judgement on the visuals until then since it was likely built with ray tracing in mind hence the lack of shadows and simpler textures/materials on the demo version.
Ray tracing is incredibly taxing and 2080 TIs currently struggle with it now. If we have the pop in and visual compromise now imagine what will need to be scaled back to maintain 60 FPS with ray tracing.

Juan

Oct 28, 2017
From VorpalNonsense:

1Q3UStL.gif

BobsReset

Chicken Chaser
Oct 26, 2017
I kind of wish so much of the discussion wasnt around the GFX. So much more to decipher:

• Sprint
  • Bloom
  • 'Equipement'
  • ODST Style map
  • ODST Stylr VISR
  • New Weapons
  • The grapplehook
  • Brutes and Elites fighting side by side
  • Story implications of the UNSC having 'lost'
  • Free form campaign (which to me was showcased awfully with a very generic seeming side mission)
I am mostly here for the speculation around how multiplayer will turn out!

JDHarbs

Oct 28, 2017
Ray tracing is incredibly taxing and 2080 TIs currently struggle with it now. If we have the pop in and visual compromise now imagine what will need to be scaled back to maintain 60 FPS with ray tracing.
There are ways to reduce/optimize ray tracing for performance. Digital Foundry brings it up in their videos and the Series X has the equivalent of a 2080 ti GPU.

The final 5 or so month stretch of development is always reserved for optimizations and polish. I'm not concerned that we have those issues in a demo that was likely put together during quarantine over a month or 2 ago.

I kind of wish so much of the discussion wasnt around the GFX. So much more to decipher:

• Sprint
  • Bloom
  • 'Equipement'
  • ODST Style map
  • ODST Stylr VISR
  • New Weapons
  • The grapplehook
  • Free form campaign (which to me was showcased awfully with a very generic seeming side mission)
I agree.

It is difficult to decipher how I feel about the weapons since so many are new and I'd need to play around with them first. The grapple hook is really growing on me. Halo has such great physics-based emergent gameplay especially in it's vehicle play and the grappling hook is going to provide so many new directions for crazy moments with it. It should be really fun in BTB. However, idk how I feel about letting every player start with one, but I'm imagining that's how it will be at least for BTB. For Arena it has to be not there or a pickup at the least. I don't want to see people swinging around Midship with that thing.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017

• Sprint
  • Bloom
  • 'Equipement'
  • ODST Style map
  • ODST Stylr VISR
  • New Weapons
  • The grapplehook
The Sidekick was the only weapon with bloom, right?

Hawkster

Alt account
Banned
Mar 23, 2019
I would say the memes is GameFAQS level of childish tantrum.

But then again, I thought it looked great, so whom am I to argue?

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Rewatching the gameplay, I'm really warming up to it. It's not a very well put together vertical slice tbh, but I really kinda like the interestingly clicky and punchy sound effects, I'm seeing a fair amount of fun physics stuff, I think all the movement options have potential to be a ton of fun (I generally enjoy stuff like Titanfall much more than classic Halo when it comes to movement) and I still really do dig the cartoony art style and look despite the frequent low quality assets and flat lighting. If it looks better in the final version, great, if not, I'll live. I don't have the energy to be getting outraged over graphics anymore. Shooting also looks like it's gonna be plain old fun, even if some of the effects are a bit over the top.

Really the only big negative of the demo is still the enemies just standing around like idiots, but maybe they're essentially playing on the easiest setting for demo purposes or something. But for now, I'm surprisingly excited for the campaign. Now they just need to show me that the multiplayer is going to be loaded with fun content and I'm in.

KnightHero117

Oct 26, 2017
Aside from the graphics and textures, I really hope they improve and speed up the grappling hook. Looked pretty slow and awkward.

Stalwart

Banned
Feb 4, 2018
Youtubers seem to love it, not sure what you guys are on about.

youtu.be

HALO INFINITE "GAMEPLAY REVEAL" LIVE REACTION (I NEARLY CRIED)

Halo Infinite has finally been revealed and I am so happy.. It is everything I have ever wanted from a Halo game & more. I am so excited to learn more!SUBSCR...
youtu.be

Halo Infinite game-play trailer analysis (EXPERT)

#HaloInfinite #React #Xboxhttps://www.patreon.com/YouNoMeDawg@Ninja
youtubers usually have low standards and accept mediocrity.

Moose

Oct 25, 2017
Youtubers seem to love it, not sure what you guys are on about.

youtu.be

HALO INFINITE "GAMEPLAY REVEAL" LIVE REACTION (I NEARLY CRIED)

Halo Infinite has finally been revealed and I am so happy.. It is everything I have ever wanted from a Halo game & more. I am so excited to learn more!SUBSCR...
youtu.be

Halo Infinite game-play trailer analysis (EXPERT)

#HaloInfinite #React #Xboxhttps://www.patreon.com/YouNoMeDawg@Ninja
Youtube reaction vids are the most canned thing since corn.They're going to exaggerate for views.

Moose

Oct 25, 2017
At least the Halo 5 health bar is back. It only shows up with shield damage and looks nice as it blends with the rest of the bar.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Aside from the graphics and textures, I really hope they improve and speed up the grappling hook. Looked pretty slow and awkward.

You can upgrade equipment in the game.

So bloom is back huh?

Not really. Maybe on SOME guns.

The Halo Reach bloom went PAST the initial reticle. This is all within the initial reticle which has largely been in all Halo's in some form.

If you spammed the halo CE pistol too fast it would have a slight spread.

Moose

Oct 25, 2017
Lost in all of this I thought the mood and dialogue during the Mjolnir construction was really well done.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Honestly, I don't think it's that bad. I love Halo and I'll play Infinite, however this is some funny shit.

Oct 26, 2017

• Sprint
  • Bloom
  • 'Equipement'
  • ODST Style map
  • ODST Stylr VISR
  • New Weapons
  • The grapplehook
ya.

Theres some other stuff I think played into it.
THey dont want to reveal story spoilers.

but ya, that gameplay demo was not the best thing to show off

Oct 25, 2017
Was the tagline about how many days since we lost in reference to the end of Halo 5? I'm just curious if this is going to resolve the whole Cortana issue as from the trailer and demo it seems it's now linked to The Banished.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
hopefully ray tracing will greatly improve the look here, as this wasnt a great graphical showcase.

but, i thought the gameplay looked great. of course, i always like "new halo". jem, you with me?
Gameplay looks exactly like Halo 4 but some of the armour abilities are single use and they chucked in clamber/slide.

Looks like fun to be honest.

Graphics looked like absolute ass though.

DemonCarnotaur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Wow, I'm really disappointed.

Gameplay looks solid, but that demo was very underwhelming plus the visuals are just not appealing at all.

The art style is all over the place, at some places nice, some an over correction, and some parts just seem to be more of the same -- but that's all held back and made worse by the engine. What on earth is going on there!?

I'm kinda shocked by how let down I am by the designs and engine. But the expansion of equipment into the game seems fun.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was expecting more than a single trailer.

Like what the hell is going on story wise? What about MP?

jem

Oct 25, 2017
The Chief uses it at 5:08 in the gameplay demo, so Clamber is back.

Also, am I the only one surprise by how generic the design has gone for the weapons? Like, the Magnum looks like from CoD and doesn't even have the handle that all Halo's Magnum had to this day:

1595528280-capture-d-ecran-2020-07-23-a-20-10-14.jpg

compared to any other Halo gun:
What the fuck is that abomination?

Oct 25, 2017
I was expecting more than a single trailer.

Like what the hell is going on story wise? What about MP?
Yeah they've been pumping up this reveal for months I was expecting a footage blowout but instead it was just like 7 minutes of the most basic campaign combat footage that makes the game look like a launch X1 title with a 1X patch

sad about the state of the magnum

ThatsMyTrunks

Mokuzai Studio
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
San Antonio, TX
I'm so fucking on board with what they showed. After having played a bunch of Halo 3 last week I'm really into the idea of a big world where you run around having moment to moment encounters with a bunch of neat movement mechanics.

swordClip.gif

I mean look at that. That looks like a blast to pull off.

I'm also down for the simplified visual style. Make it run at 4K 60 and don't make it a greebled mess like Halo 4 and 5. They're making the right choices and I'm all about it.

And if we get 1/30th of a second of this wonderful mug every time we punch a brute to death?
EdpNIbuX0AEXhdW

Sign me up.

Uncle Sensei

Oct 25, 2017
Game looks fun to play and I'm glad it seems that classic zoom is back. But man, it's like someone got their hands on the PC version and turned LODs, shadows and lighting, fur and texture detail to minimum. Also, every single new weapon looked lame, and not distinct like most Halo weapons have been. How did no one at Xbox or 343 look at this and say "this isn't our best thing to put out?'