• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I just realized something

Next year is gonna be 10 years since Halo CEA's release
The weird thing is that the first thing that comes to my mind when I think back to Halo CEA's release is playing it in 3D. It was the first and only game I ever played in 3D back when 3D TVs were a thing. The plasma bolts looked really fucking cool, I'll give it that.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Halo 3 and Reach audio should be fixed in the next update.

www.halowaypoint.com

Halo: The Master Chief Collection - MCC Development Update - June 2020

Get the latest info on MCC's development as we move towards our next big release. We recap Halo 3's flight, Firefight for Halo 3: ODST's announcement, a technical deep dive with engineers, a breakdown of work from design and art, then close with an all-up project update. Get comfy with some...

h1sharkwarthog-b849ec6019c24ba292520f6b3cfe00a5.jpg

h3colors-780d3566357247ff9a4be8e6324a503d.jpg

h1arskin-983e5c78e9bc4c3e9a2de278e34db255.jpg

h1scopionskin-275d5a1f135e4e92b9afd42447701154.jpg

h1arandvisor-cbb94cd1724644069efa874ae9899160.jpg

h1warthogskin-f6fdd30e74b7484e9d36e203fdc63a2f.jpg
I love those Warthog skins.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is odd considering if you're playing a CE gametype with vehicles its a bad time

JonCha

Oct 29, 2017
UK
They're cool customisation options tbf. Playing a bit of MCC recently I wished the UI was faster; it's painfully slow after a game when it's tallying up your XP or when you're switching between different customisation sub-menus.

Tomash

Oct 25, 2017
Halo 3 hit detection issues explained, also apply to Halo 2 and Halo Reach in the latest blog

If I understood this correctly:
In Halo 3, in first two ticks at 60Hz, bullet would travel for 3wu hit scan + 3wu travel + 3wu travel = 9wu.
In Legacy Halo 3, in a single, first tick which is the same amount of time as two ticks at 60fps, bullet would travel for 6wu hit scan + 6wu travel = 12wu.
First four ticks at 60 Hz = 15wu, first two ticks at 30Hz =18wu. It is 3wu behind at all times.

This is the reason why increasing bullet velocity in 60fps Halo 2 Vista and 60fps MCC Halo 3 makes hit detection closer to Xbox versions.

Just lead your shots 4Head in Twitch chat was actually not shitposting, it was a wise advice due to MCC weapons being effectively slower compared to Xbox 360 versions.

This is not the only issue with hit detection in Halo 3, there are some issues still there that were fixed for Xbox 360 Reach and will be backported to Halo 3.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
I hope they have some of the good tracks from 343 Halo back in Infinite such as To Galaxy, Awakening and Green and Blue.

Glass

Oct 26, 2017
I hope they have some of the good tracks from 343 Halo back in Infinite such as To Galaxy, Awakening and Green and Blue.
Yeah I'd love to have The Trials back, the song is goosebump-inducing but was stuck with a level and section I felt nothing for , in fact I got straight up pissed off at the disparity on my very first Halo 5 run through.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
CE vehicles are a waste of time. You might as well respawn.

You can get sniped out of a Scorpion and the Banshee dies in seconds due to the pistol. Ghost is slow as fuck and you touch a Warthog and just die. lol

Last edited:

_Aaron_

Oct 29, 2017
I mean, are there any characters that 343 have introduced that people care for?

Halo 4's new characters seemed completely forgettable. I have yet to play Halo 5 or Halo Wars 2. Although I watched playthroughs of them online and nobody seemed particularly memorable or iconic like Bungie's characters.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, are there any characters that 343 have introduced that people care for?

Halo 4's new characters seemed completely forgettable. I have yet to play Halo 5 or Halo Wars 2. Although I watched playthroughs of them online and nobody seemed particularly memorable or iconic like Bungie's characters.
Atriox is well liked.

Lasky is a pretty good character.

Glass

Oct 26, 2017
Exhuberant Witness was good, cool to see another monitor , but has the associated baggage of 5's campaign.

Halo Wars 2 has a good cast / story , the Banished are a great addition to the universe.

Already like Infinite's pilot.

But yeah I can see them killing off some characters , the game will need stakes after all.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
My issue with Locke is that he was always bland. Nightfall wasn't good and that just carried over to H5. If he had a better origin story than Nightfall, I think his reception would have been better. Master Chief is interesting and has a huge backstory now, Locke not so much.

DemonCarnotaur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Just in case anyone reading this thread doesn't read the Halo Infinite Speculation Thread.

Re: Locke being dead, that Brute wearing his helmet as shoulder armor:

There is no way the named Brute and the helmet on his shoulder are simply Mega inventions. I guarantee they're from the game.

When I attended NYTF I was told by Mattel they orginally planned to show more, as originally they understood 343 would have shown off more of the game prior -- but things changed. All the same, due to long locked in retail agreements, the sets were to be revealed on the site at this point (as they're currently shipping).

Keep in mind, we should have seen the game by now at e3 -- that Locke helmet character was surely not considered a spoiler, and was likely going to be present in whatever they choose to show. Ultimately we werent supposed to see this first as a toy, but I don't think they consider it a spoiler as it's likely something we're meant to know prior to release.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
That might be Locke's helmet, but I doubt it's his head. We saw Atriox do the same thing with a member of Red Team, took it as a trophy even though the Spartan in question lived. Probably just means that Locke and Osiris took a swing at the guy and missed.

And I like Palmer. Maybe that's just a reaction to disliking the arguments made for why she sucks (and a fair few of the people making them), but like, she's a pushy badass who doesn't take shit from anybody and dunks on nerds. #goals

Oct 25, 2017
That might be Locke's helmet, but I doubt it's his head. We saw Atriox do the same thing with a member of Red Team, took it as a trophy even though the Spartan in question lived. Probably just means that Locke and Osiris took a swing at the guy and missed.

And I like Palmer. Maybe that's just a reaction to disliking the arguments made for why she sucks (and a fair few of the people making them), but like, she's a pushy badass who doesn't take shit from anybody and dunks on nerds. #goals

Having her be the most annoying part of Spartan Ops didn't do her any favors. She also does come off as a bit of a hothead, considering we pretty much never see her personally doing anything besides punching stuff when she doesn't get her way.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Having her be the most annoying part of Spartan Ops didn't do her any favors. She also does come off as a bit of a hothead, considering we pretty much never see her personally doing anything besides punching stuff when she doesn't get her way.
I don't really think she was any more annoying than any other Voice with an Internet Connection we've had in the series, and considering the host of arguments that she sucks ("she made fun of Chief's height," "she called valuable scientists eggheads") it always felt like it was rooted in insecure Gamers being Gamers, to me. This was a topic in the Discord a couple day ago and I stand by it - no male character would've gotten the kind of vitriol she did, even with identical behavior.

JonCha

Oct 29, 2017
UK
Tbh when you first see her, and she is for a second taken aback by Chief, I liked her coming back and saying 'I thought you'd be taller'. It's nice to have Chief not seen as a god figure from time to time. Beyond that though I couldn't tell you anything she did.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Is there crossplay for the campaigns between STEAM and W10?

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone think we might get a Halo 5 PC port announcement at the Xbox event? It's the only Halo game missing on PC now it seems inevitable it'll be ported.

Rodeo Clown

Dec 14, 2017
Not counting on it. I think they'll be focussing on new stuff.

I'd like Halo 5 and Halo Wars 2 on Steam.
I don't think they'll get around to HW2, unfortunately. The publishing team that was previously working on maintaining HW2 after they got everything from Creative Assembly is now all on MCC. They had previously stated they wanted to provide more content updates, maps, etc for HW2, but had to kinda stop work on that when MCC got going again.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Fireteam Osiris was just a bunch of boring ass motherfuckers.

Locke: About as interesting as a rock.
Vale: I think she was a linguist or something. She had good armor at least
Tanaka: Don't remember anything about her except all the cameras on her helmet.
Buck: The only one worth a damn. Has a personality and meaty backstory.

Exuberant Witness, an AI, was more interesting. That's how bad they were. lol

Last edited:

jem

Oct 25, 2017

I never really understood the hate for Palmer either.

The "eggheads" line was way overused though - it's also a shit line in the first place.

Fireteam Osiris was just a bunch of boring ass motherfuckers.

Locke: About as interesting as a rock.
Vale: I think she was a linguist or something. She had good armor at least
Tanaka: Don't remember anything about her except all the cameras on her helmet.
Buck: The only one worth a damn. Has a personality and meaty backstory.

Exuberant Witness, an AI, was more interesting. That's how bad they were. lol
They aren't really anymore boring than the squad in ODST for example.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Ehhhh...

Spartans are supposed to be really intelligent soldiers. The whole eggheads thing just makes her sound dumb. It's the type of thing unintelligent people say to make fun of intelligent people.
It makes her sound like a jock, which... she is. Spartans are smart, but that doesn't mean they're filled with reverence for the scientists or anything.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
It makes her sound like a jock, which... she is. Spartans are smart, but that doesn't mean they're filled with reverence for the scientists or anything.
It doesn't make her sound like a jock, it makes her sound dumb.

It's the type of insult a dumb person uses because they're insecure about their intelligence - "let's call the clever people names because they're smart".

It's not good writing and it doesn't fit at all with the character of a Spartan. Spartans might be jocks but they're not dumb.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017

Updated Skill Rank Backend
When Halo 3 PC drops, MCC is going to get some major improvements on the backend. The entire system is being migrated from an older system with too many cobwebs to a much newer and shinier one that is easier to work with and update. In a nutshell, we've made some foundational backend changes to the way we calculate and track Competitive Skill Ranks (CSR) in MCC. This allows us to solve some long-time issues around stats being unexpectedly partially reset among other nuances found along the way. It also allows us to begin displaying a highest lifetime rank stat (which is the highest rank attained after the launch of Halo 3 and will persist even if the playlist the rank was achieved in rotates out). Lastly, this gives us a sturdier foundation to build from for future improvements and features related to the ranking system.

Unfortunately, with this migration, we will have to perform maintenance which will reset everyone's ranks in our Ranked Playlist options. We know that many will be sad that this is happening, but in order to move forward to this new system and its architecture, the slate will need to be wiped clean. It will not affect players' XP progression ranks though as that is an entirely different system.

We apologize for the inconvenience, but it is a necessary step in improving this system which is opening the door for further iteration in the future for MCC all up. Thank you for your understanding, we look forward to this update when Halo 3 launches!

This is a good change.

Last edited:

GringoSuave89

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
LA, CA
It doesn't make her sound like a jock, it makes her sound dumb.

It's the type of insult a dumb person uses because they're insecure about their intelligence - "let's call the clever people names because they're smart".

It's not good writing and it doesn't fit at all with the character of a Spartan. Spartans might be jocks but they're not dumb.

I can kind of write it off in that Halo scientists have no god damn sense and get into trouble on the regular. I know it's for plot reasons, but they're barely a step above Alien movie crews.