• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

When will Halo Infinite be revealed?

• Yes, before E3

Votes: 13 11.8%
  • Yes, during E3

Votes: 20 18.2%
  • Wait, E3 was canceled

Votes: 32 29.1%
  • Daisy, Daisy...

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I will not... allow you... to leave. This. PLANET!

Votes: 14 12.7%
  • Halo's just dad.

Votes: 29 26.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 2507

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mmm, very good. Only, how are they gonna make the playlists work? I mean, what happens if i'm playing BTB but i don't have game X installed? Will playlists require specific games, or will they duplicate lists per game?
Neither seems like a good solution. Too many playlists will make matchmaking times unbearably long as people are all over the place. And i have no interest in cross-game lists, no trouble playing all games, i just wish to pick what i play when i want.

What kind of monster doesn't enjoy CE multi
Do we get original sounds for Halo CE MP back?
Such a simple thing can make the mode unenjoyable.

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OK, now where are they gonna get people to play it? Sure, it goes gamepass, but will that really bring in people? People who're willing to stick around playing the older entries?
It is good MCC is getting fixed. But i figure it has tainted reputation. I know i am extremely difficult to convince to try something that was a shitshow once even if it works now, i wonder about others...

Detective

Oct 27, 2017
Deleted H5 hopefully for the last time.
We are waiting over 20 minutes with no match, and when I finally got to play there is latency all over the place.
Really hope you fix your fucking servers 343 for the next game.
The one thing that will keep me busy now is MCC.
I stopped playing h5 for almost a year because of all these issues, and after an advice from dear FUNKNOWN iXi I never felt better :D I Actually started enjoying gaming again, shouldn't have installed it again to fuck up my days.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
If that's how it works, that doesn't really make any sense to me. There's no obvious reason to delay the melee until the GP would have initiated, and that's not even really a prioritization issue; the moment the player releases the button, the game knows that they don't intend to GP.

PLOT TWIST!!!

so i rewatched the GDC video, and in it 343 claimed that if the jumping player has a melee target, the system will immediately execute a melee and GP is impossible. he claims that in this scenario "it behaves exactly as it does when the player is on the ground". if this were true, then there's literally nothing to complain about and we're all headcasing.

but then in the same presentation he says that their solution leads to delayed input response and is "barely acceptable on the player intent front"

apparently upon pressing melee, they poll for .25s looking for a hold, if you release sooner, the melee executes. but in avideo analyzing the response time, GP turned off melee has an avg .1s response time. with GP on the avg is .18s. on the ground the avg is .08s. so it seems as if the loss of the ability to assume melee resulted in code that doubled the response time at a minimum. even longer for people who clench.

sadly they didn't perform the test with a melee target in range.

Last edited:

Fahzzy

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Jan 21, 2018
intoducing ADA. sparrtts can now AIM Down their own ASS.

LOLOLOLOL ADA'ing gives you more accuracy and range with your butt.

Speaking of GP, I just got a few kills the other day by butt stomping near someone without harming them and the blast pushed them off the map to their death (Mercy).

Skill based game.

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Halo 4 OST is good. Arrival is one of the best tracks in any Halo.
Halo 5 OST is meh as it plays things too safe, it doesn't feel original nor impressive. It isn't bad but doesn't compare well to other Halo soundtracks.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Halo 4 OST is good. Arrival is one of the best tracks in any Halo.
Halo 5 OST is meh as it plays things too safe, it doesn't feel original nor impressive. It isn't bad but doesn't compare well to other Halo soundtracks.

Revival is hype as fuck towards the end of the song

Arrival is pretty solid.

I'm sitting at work, working on some SQL and Mode stuff and just blasting the Halo 4 and 5 soundtracks lol

HTupolev

Oct 27, 2017
apparently upon pressing melee, they poll for .25s looking for a hold, if you release sooner, the melee executes. but in avideo analyzing the response time, GP turned off melee has an avg .1s response time. with GP on the avg is .18s.
Isn't that expected? If the game uses button release to initiate melee when GP is enabled, and button press to initiate melee when GP is disabled, the latter case would be expected to have considerably faster response.

To really make sense of it, they'd need to time against both button press and release.

sadly they didn't perform the test with a melee target in range.
This for sure.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't that expected? If the game uses button release to initiate melee when GP is enabled, and button press to initiate melee when GP is disabled, the latter case would be expected to have considerably faster response.

To really make sense of it, they'd need to time against both button press and release.

This for sure.

Considerably faster? I dunno. How many frames should it take to recognize the buttons been released? I guess it all depends where in the cycle the button was pressed and where in the cycle it was released.

IMO if a 'considerable' difference in response time is 'to be expected', then the solution is unacceptable.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
343 should just get it over with and make GP a butt stomp from Mario.

intoducing ADA. sparrtts can now AIM Down their own ASS.
lmao Aim Down ASS

Now couple that with sound effects.. As your ADAssing you'll hear bubbles building up, as you release you'll hear different farts on your way down, ending with a satisfying sigh of relief from your Spartan (different fart and sigh types unlocked through REQ 2.0). For extra $$$ you can add visual effects to the AP (Ass Pound) such as a dust cloud, mushroom cloud, pestilence cloud (Reach effect), and so forth.

I think we're onto something brehs.

Fahzzy

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Jan 21, 2018
lmao Aim Down ASS

Now couple that with sound effects.. As your ADAssing you'll hear bubbles building up, as you release you'll hear different farts on your way down, ending with a satisfying sigh of relief from your Spartan (different fart and sigh types unlocked through REQ 2.0). For extra $$$ you can add visual effects to the AP (Ass Pound) such as a dust cloud, mushroom cloud, pestilence cloud (Reach effect), and so forth.

I think we're onto something brehs.

I read your post while taking a legendary dump with the cowbell skull on.

HTupolev

Oct 27, 2017
Considerably faster? I dunno. How many frames should it take to recognize the buttons been released?
I wouldn't think that the game would take longer to recognize a button release than a button press, but obviously it takes a player longer to press&release an unpressed button than to press an unpressed button. Hmm.

IMO if a 'considerable' difference in response time is 'to be expected', then the solution is unacceptable.
I was using "considerable" with respect to the precision of the measurement methodology.

As far as acceptability goes, I'd have to see measurements involving the player-in-melee-range case. I'd generally prefer the feel of the GP-disabled case since idle melees are more consistent, but if it behaves the way the 343i presentation suggests, the gameplay implications might be just about nonexistent.

Last edited:

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't think that the game would take longer to recognize a button release than a button press, but obviously it takes a player longer to press&release an unpressed button than to press an unpressed button. Hmm.
sure, but should that double the response time?

I was using "considerable" with respect to the precision of the measurement methodology.
Gotcha

As far as acceptability goes, I'd have to see measurements involving the player-in-melee-range case. I'd generally prefer the feel of the GP-disabled case since idle melees are more consistent, but if it behaves the way the 343i presentation suggests, the gameplay implications might be just about nonexistent.

I want to see this too. I'd say it doesn't work as advertised. I've personally been complaining about it since before the GDC vid. Either that or the melee range cone is different when airborne. Or I'm headcasing.
All of these are possible.

Can't wait for this update.

I can't wait to delete to give H3 MP the axe. I hope they give the game a big boost in visibility so the population jumps up a bit.

Last edited:

Kibbles

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I really hate 343 art directions, Specially the forerunner one. Ugly and disoriented. So out of place.
Looks like it came from a different game. With the right color it could fit into Gears :D
e3c9eb3c-4044-405a-bbcf-797b350d5d54.PNG

bb7de51b-ba65-478d-a84f-32b2100ba7f4.PNG

21e17653-92d9-4984-8090-545b6438f574.PNG

89909db1-5e6d-4013-9af3-49ae960c8f28.PNG

d8659418-f8cc-49be-b1eb-9a9d60aacb0b.PNG

573ec076-dd25-45a8-aff1-a6c7c112da15.PNG

80b82a2c-fdd0-4650-af33-445b95c5416f.PNG

2de96a6e-b537-49ef-bc4e-3df79c3e19e4.PNG

9e849161-de76-4226-9614-125e02e64b9e.PNG

0d275d70-31ed-4487-9f0e-1fe636dbf859.PNG

On the other hand HW2 is soooo Halo.
#fixHCEA

Oct 25, 2017
I quite like a lot of CEA, especially when it comes to using lights for dynamic contrast. It just gets a bit busy in areas. And the PoA crewman all being paunchy bald russians is weird. Saber did a better job with H2A, and I like their style as a fusion of the Tronrunner 343 aesthetic with Bungie's Stonerunner look.

Fahzzy

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Jan 21, 2018
HCEA is fucking horrendous and shits on art AND the original geometry. It doesn't even match. Shit tier remaster.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
HCEA is fucking horrendous and shits on art AND the original geometry. It doesn't even match. Shit tier remaster.
Just last night I was browsing the mission select menu and rolling my eyes at the terribad art style of the remaster. How do you screw up a game like Halo? Everything in the original just works.

What even is the thought process behind imposing a wildly different and patently inferior style on a classic game? Who the hell makes these decisions and why were they given authority in the first place? I wanted a faithful remaster, not a reinvention by people who don't understand or respect the very specific aesthetic Bungie established with Halo CE.

Oct 25, 2017
Just last night I was browsing the mission select menu and rolling my eyes at the terribad art style of the remaster. How do you screw up a game like Halo? Everything in the original just works.

What even is the thought process behind imposing a wildly different and patently inferior style on a classic game? Who the hell makes these decisions and why were they given authority in the first place? I wanted a faithful remaster, not a reinvention by people who don't understand or respect the very specific aesthetic Bungie established with Halo CE.
i mean we could start naming names at 343 but that wouldnt get us anywhere.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
i mean we could start naming names at 343 but that wouldnt get us anywhere.
Yeah, that's true. I'm just trying to register my disgust at the idea of taking a special game and debasing it through some combination of bad taste and incompetence. Not to say whoever called the shots there are complete hacks, but from my perspective as a fan with a lot of memories tied to the original Halo, they were the wrong people for the project. HCEA doesn't do what it should, which is to preserve the feeling of the original version by closely reproducing its presentation in modern fidelity.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Sooooo... what's with the "A Master Chief Story" branding anyway? I knew about the book, but I didn't realize there was a three-part comic announced too.

Fahzzy

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Jan 21, 2018
Halo 5 continues to provide the worst hit reg experiences among most modern titles. Pile of shit. Only PUBG rivals it.

I say this while I'm Onyx and pooping on most of the competition. Absolute garbage.

343, do a fucking ping check on everyone. If they are above 70 you tell them they can't play or make them wait for people of their same ping. It's insufferable. Let me region block and wait for a good match.

Full fucking tilt.

I bet it's super hard to interpolate and predict where everyone's going with all these flying around the map abilities. So, do it right next time.

Status
Not open for further replies.