• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

When will Halo Infinite be revealed?

• Yes, before E3

Votes: 13 11.8%
  • Yes, during E3

Votes: 20 18.2%
  • Wait, E3 was canceled

Votes: 32 29.1%
  • Daisy, Daisy...

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I will not... allow you... to leave. This. PLANET!

Votes: 14 12.7%
  • Halo's just dad.

Votes: 29 26.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 29, 2017
Did any of you guys play Halo on or near release on the original Xbox?

I was too young to appreciate it. Had a Gamecube which I loved, never really had much interest in Xbox until mid way through the 360 generation.

What was it like?

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

I was too young to appreciate it. Had a Gamecube which I loved, never really had much interest in Xbox until mid way through the 360 generation.

What was it like?
It was great. I got an Xbox and GC day one, so imagine how fun that was to play Halo, Rogue Leader, Melee soon after, etc.

One of my first times playing Halo was a match on Battle Creek starting with the Plasma Pistol. I was enamored by its gameplay, such a fun game through and through. First time playing online was December '01 on XBC against someone who kept getting Camo on Hang 'Em High. My friend and I thought he was cheating lmao, little did we know how the game actually worked.

The Warthog was especially amazing. Two people in one vehicle, one driving and one using the turret was mind blowing at the time. That first moment stepping out on the Halo ring cannot be understated with how awe inspiring it was. Truly a phenomenal game.

oriic

Prophet of Truth - Press
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Hungary
Rewatched Halo Legends once again. For those who haven't, Origins I & II give some great insights in regard to Cortana's current train of thought.

It's also amazing how 'Prototype' gave me more feels than the entirety of Halo 5 did.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0s7lXk9VcEQ

I loved the prototype mjölnir, but i played with Halo Wars. And i saw the Cyclops. :)

https://cdna.artstation.com/p/asset...arge/gerard-muntes-hw2-cyclops.jpg?1494949947

Last edited:

Fahzzy

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Jan 21, 2018

What was it like?

I played through the campaign 3 times in a row in 2 days. I remember starting the campaign at 9am and playing it until dinner to just rush my food and restart it and play until bed time. It was mind blowingly good.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I played a couple times before but I first really started playing it when I picked up my own Xbox and copy of Halo on December 26, 2003.

I've been a fan since then!

Rodeo Clown

Dec 14, 2017
I remember playing Halo on my friend's Xbox for the first time and it was like nothing I'd ever seen before. If you had only played console shooters like I had, it was just in a different league than games like Goldeneye and Perfect Dark in terms of feel and controls. Somebody had finally made aiming work on a controller without feeling imprecise and relying on strong, magnetic autoaim.

It's cliche to say now, but the first time you play the level Halo really is magic. That's when you realize that you're in for something that's way more than a corridor shooter. The environment feels huge, open, mysterious. Seeing the Halo ring above you in the skybox at all times adds an element of awe that is seldom replicated. It's still impressive now, but in 2001? Unreal.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
I played Halo CE at a basketball party because my dad was a coach, I didn't know what it was until a year after playing the demo at a GameStop when I was picking up a Xbox and Steel Battalion. Loved it when I played it, but I for real went a year going "What the hell was that gammeeeeeeee?"

I got it right before E3 where Halo 2 got it's date, so I got really hyped. Didn't get XBL until a year after Halo 2 though, but I played that and CE daily with my cousins hahaha

Fahzzy

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Jan 21, 2018
I will never forget XBL with Halo 2. No experience has been surpassed. The community, proximity chat, shenanigans, competitive play, eSports scene, birth of YouTube Halo content, glitches, custom games, and clans.

Remember the whole KSI vs MoB clan rivalry? Lol I crack up when I see someone with one of those clan names in someone's GT nowadays.

My friend and I were in MoB for a while and I remember having scheduled clan meetings in the custom games lobby lol!

I also really miss Head to Head in matchmaking.

Oct 29, 2017
Man, I'm jealous of all you guys experiencing that for the first time.

Again, I was at the mercy of my parents who didn't have any interest in broadband so we didn't get wifi until 2006.

When I finally picked up a PS3 in 2008 or so, it must have been a different environment online. Not to mention PS3's poor chat quality and the fact that hardly anyone had mics.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
I will never forget XBL with Halo 2. No experience has been surpassed. The community, proximity chat, shenanigans, competitive play, eSports scene, birth of YouTube Halo content, glitches, custom games, and clans.

Remember the whole KSI vs MoB clan rivalry? Lol I crack up when I see someone with one of those clan names in someone's GT nowadays.

My friend and I were in MoB for a while and I remember having scheduled clan meetings in the custom games lobby lol!

I also really miss Head to Head in matchmaking.
Clan Wars were cool before they got removed too.

But yeah having Halo 2 as my first online experience blew me away.

VincentMatts

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I played through the campaign 3 times in a row in 2 days. I remember starting the campaign at 9am and playing it until dinner to just rush my food and restart it and play until bed time. It was mind blowingly good.

Yeah me too, i remember i rented an xbox console, halo CE and star wars: Obi Wan. Played obiwan first, it sucked so much ass so i moved onto halo. I was instantly hooked. Finished the game, sold my ps2 and bought an xbox with halo and have been playing it ever since. I still play CE to this day.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
My first time playing Halo was on the demo disc that came with the Xbox. Silent Cartogropher, CO-OP with my little bro.

Man, we must have played through that demo 30 times that day- and when we perfected beating it, it was all about creating our own fun on the island. Man what an amazing sandbox that game had. Amazing how quickly we picked up the dual analog controls ( I was 13 he was 8).

It was magic.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
You know what level of Halo 4/5 level evokes feelings of playing on Silent Cartographer, AOTCR or the Covenant? None of them because they don't have a level to that quality.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You know what level of Halo 4/5 level evokes feelings of playing on Silent Cartographer, AOTCR or the Covenant? None of them because they don't have a level to that quality.
I won't disagree, but I found the Covenant to be overrated. It feels like it was an event that was rushed with very little build up to it.

Fahzzy

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Jan 21, 2018
I will say the only Halo 5 level that I think is badass is the Sangheli level. Looked good, played well, and is more re-playable. The campaign definitely had its moments in places across the game, but the story/writing completely spoils it for me.

Rodeo Clown

Dec 14, 2017
I will say the only Halo 5 level that I think is badass is the Sangheli level. Looked good, played well, and is more re-playable. The campaign definitely had its moments in places across the game, but the story/writing completely spoils it for me.
Swords of Sanghelios is awesome. And then it's followed up by the meh Enemy Lines, which ends with an absolutely awful boss fight. Halo 5 suffers a lot from Halo 2 syndrome, where the moments that are supposed to be big set piece events fall super flat because of how uninteractive they end up being. (ie. the kraken in 5 is a lot like the scarab in 2.)

I will say, I genuinely love how Glassed looks.

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017
Would have been a great shame had it not been released, the only other map I played at comparable hours was the likes of Blood Gulch! Favorite tactic was to plow a Warthog into the enemy base compound and drive down to the little flag alcove, absolutely no room to either side, and just squashing any defenders who didn't have the sense to get out of the way. It worked surprisingly often.

Well a first it was "Halo themed" and rainy, it just wasn't visual interesting was literally our content shoved into an older version of the map with added rain and fog. Then it got reinvented as a AOTCR style map and then when we introduced the day/night switch it became 2 betrayals esque. Those bases were pulled from Wartorn Cove, which then became snowtorn cove, who's author did what became snowgrove. Personally, I enjoyed the "Fragment" map a bit more than snowtorn cove but I guess I am in the minority on that one. It's awesome to see the map has such a following and that weapon balance held up so long.

Well wasnt that the same type of situation with silent cartographer? Practically didnt make the final game. It was originally build only as a demo. Could you imagine....

My understanding that it was a test map in the aspect of it was what they iterated on the most, but wasn't just some area they had no intention on not having as a playable space in the campaign.

Two Betrayals is low-key one of the best levels.

This. Even if I don't like playing it the most, to me it highlights everything there is to love about Halo. It's long, grueling, but damn does it offer everything the series has to offer.

Oct 25, 2017
Ranking missions?

Gold tier:
Silent Cartographer (H1)
The Ark (H3)
ONI Alpha Site (ODST)

Silver Tier:
Composer (H4)
Forerunner (H4)
AOTCR (H1)
Regret (H2)
Covenant (H3)
Swords of Sanghelios (H5)
Halo (H1)

Bronze Tier:
Most everything else

Weakest missions:
Midnight (H4), Crows Nest (H3), everything Flood in Halo 2.

That said I feel like Halo fans sometimes forget how above-average the campaigns are compared to most shooters. A weak Halo mission is something I'd rather replay than anything out of Killzone or Resistance.

hexanaut

Dec 6, 2017
I'll always have fondness for Tsavo Highway - seeing the space elevator collapsed around the African landscape, the excavation site from the first announcement trailer, and of course the massive Covenant cruiser that comes swooping in overhead. They somewhat re-use this effect in The Ark when the Dawn drops off some Scorpions for you - the scale of those ships still impresses me to this day.

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
Well a first it was "Halo themed" and rainy, it just wasn't visual interesting was literally our content shoved into an older version of the map with added rain and fog. Then it got reinvented as a AOTCR style map and then when we introduced the day/night switch it became 2 betrayals esque. Those bases were pulled from Wartorn Cove, which then became snowtorn cove, who's author did what became snowgrove. Personally, I enjoyed the "Fragment" map a bit more than snowtorn cove but I guess I am in the minority on that one. It's awesome to see the map has such a following and that weapon balance held up so long.

My understanding that it was a test map in the aspect of it was what they iterated on the most, but wasn't just some area they had no intention on not having as a playable space in the campaign.

This. Even if I don't like playing it the most, to me it highlights everything there is to love about Halo. It's long, grueling, but damn does it offer everything the series has to offer.
Wartorn/Snowtorn Cave was a good series of maps, but I definitely preferred Fragment over them. So many solid outdoor maps on offer, and I'm counting a great number of the Gearbox offerings too.

Anyone enjoyed Portent?

5202353-1386789023.jpg

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You guys are making me crazy excited for new CECE maps I never experienced before. The gift that keeps on giving!

I really hope they can get CE working for CE.

NOKYARD

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I have definitely played more than 20 lol. Wayyyy more.

I really hope that's not the only metric they are using to choose testers. I have not played MCC Matchmaking at all in the past year or so, but i have played through the campaigns many times in that time frame. Currently playing through Spartan Ops with a friend.

I also authored some of the very few Forge maps in MCC matchmaking, 4 of which broke and were removed for technical reasons, so i will certainly have tonnes of constructive feedback.

Fahzzy

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Jan 21, 2018
I really hope that's not the only metric they are using to choose testers. I have not played MCC Matchmaking at all in the past year or so, but i have played through the campaigns many times in that time frame. Currently playing through Spartan Ops with a friend.

I also authored some of the very few Forge maps in MCC matchmaking, 4 of which broke and were removed for technical reasons, so i will certainly have tonnes of constructive feedback.

I hear ya man. You've definitely contributed a heck of a lot more to the community and Halo than I have.

Blue Ninja

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I really enjoyed 'The Breaking' in Halo 5, too, despite the double Warden fight at the end. The atmosphere in that level was great.

Karl2177

Oct 25, 2017

It's the same situation for me. I've played through chunks of the Halo 2 campaign probably a dozen times in the past 6 months and maybe 5 mp games. I can tell you the coop bug on Delta Halo is still there and loading bug at the Rex sword is still there.

Anton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The CE Xbox community is still building competitive 2v2 maps which work on the Xbox and PC version of the game, would like to see some of them in MCC if possible because they're quite good on the whole

Oct 25, 2017
I really enjoyed 'The Breaking' in Halo 5, too, despite the double Warden fight at the end. The atmosphere in that level was great.

I think a lot of what brings down Halo 5's missions in my eyes is that a lot of them don't evolve in a story sense. In "The Breaking", we're fighting to Cortana. That's all. There's a lot more bookending of story beats in cutscenes that I think hurts the individual campaign missions, even if the gameplay is good.

It's one of the reasons why I think Halo 3 has such a great campaign even with its story that doesn't progress in a macro way for a third of the game. Individual missions have their own arcs—"Crow's Nest" has the defense and detonation of the base as you fall back, "The Ark" goes from recon to a sizable push and has that mini-story with the Chieftan, etc.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Seeing all these Custom maps, man I hope they are able to add Custom Edition maps to MCC since they have it partly working already.

Depending on how intensive it can get, I would kill to play this in online custom games

Fahzzy

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Jan 21, 2018
I feel like they opened up a can of worms with mentioning the Halo Custom Edition content. Now everyone is dreaming and they might just end up disappointed. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.