• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

When will Halo Infinite be revealed?

• Yes, before E3

Votes: 13 11.8%
  • Yes, during E3

Votes: 20 18.2%
  • Wait, E3 was canceled

Votes: 32 29.1%
  • Daisy, Daisy...

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I will not... allow you... to leave. This. PLANET!

Votes: 14 12.7%
  • Halo's just dad.

Votes: 29 26.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
Poodlestrike

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of the difference is wear and tear, but the colors are lighter and the shape of the jaw section is hugely softened and a lot less detailed. Could be that it's just a simplified model, could be that they're doing another armor revision in 6 (I'd expect this one to happen on screen fwiw).

Oct 25, 2017
The full modern chief that was shown (next to locke) was made for E3 2015

Ah shows what I know!

(But I'm not talking about that chief, there's a solo chief that is first seen while walking in, but probably not an different - the lighting is super dark so hard to actually see even in person lol).

It's kinda neat here guys, met 3 of my online buddies already and chatted to a few of my fav pros - Frankie is just free-roaming as well (in addition to many team members).

You guys watching online at all? Been some great matches - the wife is even having fun!

GringoSuave89

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
LA, CA
Can't imagine a timeskip is going to be more than a couple months.

Although.... gives them an easy out to move their pieces through EU material, and have everything in place with little set up in game. Fans have voiced their dislike over that practice though...

OP
OP
Poodlestrike

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Can't imagine a timeskip is going to be more than a couple months.

Although.... gives them an easy out to move their pieces through EU material, and have everything in place with little set up in game. Fans have voiced their dislike over that practice though...
Dislike is a mild term lol.

Anything they do is going to have to naturally flow out of the ending to 5 - they can't rely on extended universe stuff to set up the plot of the game.

OP
OP
Poodlestrike

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
It'll be interesting how Bad Blood and (I assume) the new Master Chief novel will progress the story post-Halo 5.
Kiiind of hoping it doesn't. Something you can keep in as broad strokes ('we've been on the run from Cortana for months and we've had no success!') would be fine, but fundamentally nothing much should really change from the end of 5 to the start of 6.

Deleted member 2507

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nahh, why not have really, really expansive novel and base Halo 6's plot partially to that. Let's promote cross-media selling!

/s

GringoSuave89

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
LA, CA
Kiiind of hoping it doesn't. Something you can keep in as broad strokes ('we've been on the run from Cortana for months and we've had no success!') would be fine, but fundamentally nothing much should really change from the end of 5 to the start of 6.

I don't think 343 can help themselves. I doubt we will open Halo 6 with the team still on Sanghelios. They'll likely reconnect with Infinity. And I won't be pleased about it haha.

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017
HWNy5Mp.png

Found a higher res one via GreenSkull on Facebook. The smooth bottom isn't compression from the looks of it. Might just be a one off :P

They have a similar one in their lobby at their office. Pretty sure the details are different but looks to be roughly about the same size.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think 343 can help themselves. I doubt we will open Halo 6 with the team still on Sanghelios. They'll likely reconnect with Infinity. And I won't be pleased about it haha.

That would be so stupid.

Watching these MLG matches, Smartlink is useless. why does it exist...

Technically we've had smart-link since CE. It's the digital connection between the Spartan's HUD, and his/her weapon's viewfinder.

Why is smart-link now accompanies by ADS?The explanation I recall was that it's to highlight the fact that there's a digital link between the Spartan's HUD and the weapons viewfinder...

Of course, this direct link is exactly WHY we shouldn't have ADS. it makes no sense.

The real reason, I imagine, is because felt like ADS has become a staple of the genre, and not having it would alienate a large portion of their base.

Oct 25, 2017
That would be so stupid.

Technically we've had smart-link since CE. It's the digital connection between the Spartan's HUD, and his/her weapon's viewfinder.

Why is smart-link now accompanies by ADS?The explanation I recall was that it's to highlight the fact that there's a digital link between the Spartan's HUD and the weapons viewfinder...

Of course, this direct link is exactly WHY we shouldn't have ADS. it makes no sense.

The real reason, I imagine, is because felt like ADS has become a staple of the genre, and not having it would alienate a large portion of their base.
Change for the sake of change. also, Tru, its Me. lore nerd and butthrut halo boi. i know about smartlink but its still a stupid addition in the case of ADS

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I keep thinking that Ragnarok Flames has flames around him in real life when talking about Halo, like that Bungie armor in Halo 3 created.
I mean, you can feel the anger :D

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
Change for the sake of change. also, Tru, its Me. lore nerd and butthrut halo boi. i know about smartlink but its still a stupid addition in the case of ADS

Oh I knew where you were going... that was just my long, drawn out way of saying I agree- it's dumb.

It breaks the very lore they say it highlights. It also offers no gameplay benefit.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
What is the most minor thing 343 could change that would piss off the most people?

I reckon if they changed it from Red vs Blue to something like Orange be Green there'd be a fucking uproar.

The Henery

Nov 3, 2017
E3

Halo 6 trailer unveiled

Halo 6 beta to be accessed via relaunched MCC late summer, further incentivises game pass adoption for those who don't own MCC

Halo 6 launches between Sep-Nov 2019

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
E3

Halo 6 trailer unveiled

Halo 6 beta to be accessed via relaunched MCC late summer, further incentivises game pass adoption for those who don't own MCC

Halo 6 launches between Sep-Nov 2019
Halo 5 added to MCC
Moose made head of 343
Jem banned from competitive Halo for doping

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
So, I've played through the "Awakening the Nightmare" DLC from Halo Wars 2 and actually find it better than the main Halo Wars 2 Campaign, eventhough it's much shorter.

The only issues that I had were:
  • Pavium and Voridium looking like Orcs/Uruks/whatever. lol
  • Pavium and Voridium suddenly know what a Gravemind is.
  • The "Proto" Gravemind being ridiculously large. One of his tentacles is larger than the Gravemind that we know from Halo 2/Halo 3.
  • Once again no real closure to the story.
The gameplay and story are good enough to make up for the issues, though. I honestly didn't expect it to be this good. More of this quality please.

PS: The Blur cutscenes with the Flood... Pretty impressive.

Juan

Oct 28, 2017
Watching these MLG matches, Smartlink is useless. why does it exist...

Well, with Halo 5's MP level design, Smartlink has become mandatory in my mind. By that, I mean that since maps are so stretched, players models have now become smaller compared to the environment, making the Zoom/ADS a mandatory feature if you can to be able to shot at mid range, unlike Halo 1/2/3/Reach and 4 where the player wasn't too small compared to the environment and you would only use zoom when shooting someone very far away from you.

Watching the stream last night, I saw players using the pistol's zoom on Truth, from Top Pink to Top Blue, and I was like "dude, I never zoomed from this position to this other one in Halo 2 and Halo 3... Things sure changed.".

I think you're being ironic here, but just in case: who are their base? I mean, do you think that 343 really think people used to ADS are the people playing Halo? Ingenuous question since I'm really curious to what "their base" reference to.

What is the most minor thing 343 could change that would piss off the most people?

I reckon if they changed it from Red vs Blue to something like Orange be Green there'd be a fucking uproar.

change a weapon design ala SPNKR

I mean... Is there something that didn't change from the old Bungie Halo era? The only thing I can think of that didn't changed much is the AR since the design is fairly similar from what we used to have. But for the rest? I can't think of something that didn't change already, so as you said Jem, apart from the Red vs Blue color scheme, I'm not sure there is changing they can change that hasn't already.

That said, if Elites come back as playable characters in Halo, I would gladly have a Green (Spartan) vs Purple (Elite) as we had during Reach beta. It was perfect in my mind.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
I think you're being ironic here, but just in case: who are their base? I mean, do you think that 343 really think people used to ADS are the people playing Halo? Ingenuous question since I'm really curious to what "their base" reference to.

I'm definately being "ironic". I was playing on the reason the decided to go with sprint: it's a "staple" of the genre, and they don't want to "ignore a large portion of the gaming demographics expectations".

They conflate the idea that because other games have these mechanics, with the idea that FPS players "expect" Halo to have them - in effect, ignoring the expectations of their actual base. Even descope was a contentious addition to the game- more contentious than Sprint!. And this was in hopes of being palletable by the larger audience of FPS fans - an audience that ultimately Isn't attracted to Halo's conformity.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
What's the consensus on Halo 4's campaign?

Just finished the opening level - thought it was awesome.

Does it get better/worse? What am I in for?

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Depends who you ask.

Me, i think Halo 4 campaign is pretty good overall when it comes to gameplay. Some rought points, some poor pacing, but overall, pretty good.
Story, good stuff but overall ends up meh and problematic.

Rodeo Clown

Dec 14, 2017
Halo 4's campaign has a solid start and I especially like the level Requiem for the way it emulates the mystery and wonder of CE, but the back half is marred by bad Promethean encounters, narrow level design, and a plot that can be difficult to understand if you aren't well-versed in their extended universe fiction. Reclaimer might be the worst level in the series. It's up there.

It's gorgeous, though, especially the MCC port.

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That one Reclaimer cutscene about Forerunner history is damn great.
I love the animation style (similar to Halo CEA terminals just like all Halo 4 terminals), and man, the scenes it show are great.
That alone makes me wish for a FPS-RPG set during the Forerunner times.

EDIT I really, really like the art design and style of the ancient Forerunners and humans as 343i envisions them.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually expecting the first unveiling of halo 6's multiplayer at e3, perhaps with an announcement of the beta and next season of HCS on halo 6 in 2018 even without the game launching till next year. SP will be under wraps till next year's e3. /opstradamus

Oct 26, 2017

Great story (if you keep up with the terminals) with cool locations, but the level design is overall pretty linear and lackluster at times. The Prometheans are also not as fun to fight as The Covenant, but aren't awful. Overall, I'd say it's a fun time when playing alone, but not so fun as a co-op experience.

Oct 29, 2017
Thanks for the replies, chaps, very helpful.

I dunno what happened, but Halo and Gears suddenly 'clicked' with me after several years of sporadic attempts to get into both series. Dunno why, but I feel like I just arrived 10 years late to the glory days of the 360.

Drop me an add:

Mozzize

Oct 25, 2017
Halo 4 started strong. and if you kept up with Terminals and Extended Universe stuff, its great. but its pretty linear( which isnt bad in this open world fps climate) and Prometheans suuuuuck.

(yes, i just praised halo 4)

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

Decent. I think a lot of people liked the increase focus on storytelling, the intertwining of Halo books into the main story, etc. The graphics were gorgeous, and the sound design was stepped up compared to previous games.

But the AI was weak. The Covenant to me personally felt dumber than previous Halo games. The new enemies just weren't fun to fight. Level design felt more linear overall.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the replies, chaps, very helpful.

I dunno what happened, but Halo and Gears suddenly 'clicked' with me after several years of sporadic attempts to get into both series. Dunno why, but I feel like I just arrived 10 years late to the glory days of the 360.

Drop me an add:

Mozzize
I love when this happens, like when Metroidvanias clicked for me last generation after finally fully playing through Super Metroid on Wii U Virtual Console. I enjoyed them before that, but since then I've been hooked on new ones.

Welcome to Halo! What have you been playing? Which game? Single player, multiplayer? Gotta appreciate each one for what they are or else it'll drive you insane over the differences lol.

Oct 29, 2017
I love when this happens, like when Metroidvanias clicked for me last generation after finally fully playing through Super Metroid on Wii U Virtual Console. I enjoyed them before that, but since then I've been hooked on new ones.

Welcome to Halo! What have you been playing? Which game? Single player, multiplayer? Gotta appreciate each one for what they are or else it'll drive you insane over the differences lol.

So I've actually had a very complex relationship with Halo.

I first played it on PC about 2 years after it came out, but I made the grave error of playing it on legendary. This sapped all my enjoyment from the game as I didn't have a good grasp of the mechanics and couldn't get over the seemingly bullet sponge enemies. Gave up on the level where you infiltrate the covenant carrier.

I was a PS3 guy but bought a 360 during the PSN downtime. Played and finished Halo 3 and Reach on normal. Enjoyed them okay, but I just couldn't get a good feel for the gameplay loop and shooting style. I was much more used to Battlefield and CoD which have very quick TTKs whereas Halo is longer. Ended up selling the 360 as I wasn't using it enough.

Bought an Xbox One with MCC in late 2015. Dunno why, just had a craving for Halo. Finished Halo 1 and Halo 2 on heroic FINALLY! imo it's the perfect difficulty: challenging but not ridiculously so.

Didn't use the Xbox One a huge amount as all the multiplats were better on PS4. However, I just got through a particularly intense bit of life and needed a break. Traded the One in for a One X and

HOLY

MOTHER

OF

GOD

Halo 5 in 4k looks absolutely fucking incredible.

I've also been loving Gears, as I've found that both series are satisfying to play but don't require a huge amount of intellectual investment.

Sticking to single player on Halo so far, but might venture online with Halo 5.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Just upgraded my 4K set to a 55inch set and just got a PS4 pro and the 4K content looks amazing on there, with all the BC stuff and MCC being in 4K, I am highly considering a XBO X.

Prinz Eugn

Oct 25, 2017
Working on homework for a data mining class, thought you guys should know that in my sentiment analysis of Twitter, Halo tweets are more positive than tweets about... bombing Syria.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hoping 343 will go back on hitmarkers with the next Halo. I'm not a fan of them, but I don't know if I see them going anywhere. At the very least grenade hitmarkers should go.

The little red x hitmarker for kills is cool though.

Status
Not open for further replies.