• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

When will Halo Infinite be revealed?

• Yes, before E3

Votes: 13 11.8%
  • Yes, during E3

Votes: 20 18.2%
  • Wait, E3 was canceled

Votes: 32 29.1%
  • Daisy, Daisy...

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I will not... allow you... to leave. This. PLANET!

Votes: 14 12.7%
  • Halo's just dad.

Votes: 29 26.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 2507

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly every single character in Halo 3 acts differently from their Halo 2 iterations.
It is just weird that way.

EDIT Halo 3 portrays Truth as religious, megalomaniacal zealot. Halo 2 had him as pragmatic politician, who may or may not have been religious really (it is a bit ambiguous).

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly every single character in Halo 3 acts differently from their Halo 2 iterations.
It is just weird that way.

EDIT Halo 3 portrays Truth as religious, megalomaniacal zealot. Halo 2 had him as pragmatic politician, who may or may not have been religious really (it is a bit ambiguous).
gotcha.

Edit:
i mean 343 essentially changed everyone involved with the spartan program into acting like they did no wrong , along with the lucy halsey thing. and Halsey being compared to mengele, and "eggheads" and Letting Karen Traviss inject her personal political views into the story.

and that red head spartan who isnt kelly. and all of spartan ops was just ehhh

Last edited:

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do you guys think we are getting a Halo FPS this year?

I think it's pretty safe to assume that they are going to relaunch MCC.
Aside from all the changes, fixes, and new features coming with the update project, I imagine it'll also support PC through Play Anywhere and be added onto Game Pass.

That would be a really well received announcement and possibly 343's only release this year, but I'm hoping for something new as well.
I'd love to see a Halo Battle Royale game.

Deleted member 20799

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I felt it was just him going insane due to stress, and just someone who eventually ate into his own bullshit denial of truth (about the reclaimers).

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I felt it was just him going insane due to stress, and just someone who eventually ate into his own bullshit.
Given the very short time between Halo 2 and 3, i never felt this explanation worked. And besides, "he went insane" is one of the worst cliches in fiction. (Goddamn Blizzard for using this constantly in WoW.)

Fahzzy

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Jan 21, 2018
Idk, I think Truth believes his own BS. I think he was more sly in Halo 2, but he still wanted mass suicide by ring lol.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Idk, I think Truth believes his own BS. I think he was more sly in Halo 2, but he still wanted mass suicide by ring lol.
He didn't though. Contact Harvest explains that he knew the religion was false due to Mendicant Bias's revelation of Humanity being Reclaimers. In addition he and Mercy were able to question/interrogate 343 Guilty Spark in Halo 2.

There is no way he didn't know!

VincentMatts

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
He didn't though. Contact Harvest explains that he knew the religion was false due to Mendicant Bias's revelation of Humanity being Reclaimers. In addition he and Mercy were able to question/interrogate 343 Guilty Spark in Halo 2.

Well Trump still doesn't believe that global warning exists so clearly questioning people doesn't prove anything.

Fahzzy

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Jan 21, 2018

To be as harsh as possible:
Fuck the damn books. They are irrelevant. He still commanded them to arm the ring. What's in it for him?

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck the damn books. All they're good for is writing the universe into corners that the games will inevitably contradict or retcon, and piss people off thereby. Johnson and that supposed Flood-proof syndrome? The Battle of Reach timeline? Truth's dissociation identities? How many missions and spartans and characters just thrown away or brought back haphazardly?

That said, they did Truth dirty going from 2 to 3. All the nuance of the character went out the airlock.

Oct 26, 2017
Been getting back into Halo 5 lately after a long break and I have been having a lot of fun with H2BR Slayer and Warzone Assault. Also, Eden has become my favorite map for some reason, I think its open spaces and verticality compliment the SAs well.

Last edited:

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well Trump still doesn't believe that global warning exists so clearly questioning people doesn't prove anything.
Your trying to go way out there to try and defend Bungie's shitty writing.

To be as harsh as possible:
Fuck the damn books. They are irrelevant. He still commanded them to arm the ring. What's in it for him?
How about no?

The books are what give Halo it's interesting back story. The only Halo game that outright retconned the books was Reach but the game can easily be dismissed as ONI Propaganda thankfully!

Fahzzy

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Jan 21, 2018
Your trying to go way out there to try and defend Bungie's shitty writing.

How about no?

The books are what give Halo it's interesting back story. The only Halo game that outright retconned the books was Reach but the game can easily be dismissed as ONI Propaganda thankfully!

That's fine if you enjoy them and get something out of them. However, time and time again the fans that read the books and the fans that only play the games have a different take on the things that occur in the games. Everyone should be on the same page, but the book readers should just have more to discover or more details on the source material.

Not only is discussing Halo between fans a total cluster fuck due to the divergent design choices riddling the series, but it's also a mess just discussing the darn plot.

If one plot source contradicts or confuses another, I'll always take the games over the books.

Everything fell apart around him at the end of Halo 2.

Anyways, y'all are gettin so worked up about this, so nevermind.

Nerdily getting worked up. Don't think anyone is actually mad at anyone.

<3

Oct 25, 2017

If you don't ask Guilty Spark the right questions, you won't get the right answers (remember Spark's "but of course it kills everyone" bit in CE?) And after Mendicant Bias nearly blew up the Covenant religion, I think they shut him up as soon as they got the important info about the Icon.

All Truth learned from Mendicant Bias is that the Covenant religion based on the Forerunners having all ascended is a lie (because humanity remained, as descendants of Forerunners in Staten's original intent and as the inheritors, not the Covenant, in the new canon.) He didn't learn that the rings were actually WMDs. They only had sketchy details about the Flood.

If Truth knew the truth about the rings, then he was committing suicide because if Tartarus activated the rings he would have had no way to the Ark. Makes more sense that he was operating contingency plans and getting the hell out of the Flood-infested High Charity in case things didn't work out.

I felt it was just him going insane due to stress, and just someone who eventually ate into his own bullshit denial of truth (about the reclaimers).

This is FUD's take as well. All that scheming in Halo 2 ends up blowing up in his face, and you end up with the unhinged mess you see in Halo 3.

I don't think people would have been bothered as much by the "different character" stuff if it had been Michael Wincott still voicing the character. Much of the difference is down to delivery, rather than lines (and we also aren't privileged to see him in a non-official capacity in 3.)

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
I don't see an issue with Truth's character development. He was always a megalomaniac AND as shrewd politician.

With Halo 3, his empire was falling apart before his eyes. He'd known for a while that his religion was a lie, but zeal was the only thing holding together what remained. Which explains his behavior- he was desperately trying to keep it together.

Bungie wasn't perfect, but they never had any issues with character development.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
you guys remember when 343 created Spartan Palmer? and made Halsey into Mengele? or had everyone vilify halsey for her part in the Spartan Program while people like Mendez completely changed personalities?

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
you guys remember when 343 created Spartan Palmer? and made Halsey into Mengele? or had everyone vilify halsey for her part in the Spartan Program while people like Mendez completely changed personalities?
Palmer is a consistent character personality wise so I don't know what point you are trying to make with her. As for Halsey she was treated like she was because she is a factor ONI cannot control and they perceive her as a threat when unsupervised.

Oct 25, 2017
i will be in seattle this weekend for the WC - PM me if you wanna grab a drink and yell stuff excitedly at big screens as part of a [hopefully sizable] crowd.

mmmk?

Oct 25, 2017
Palmer is a consistent character personality wise so I don't know what point you are trying to make with her. As for Halsey she was treated like she was because she is a factor ONI cannot control and they perceive her as a threat when unsupervised.
no, these are artifacts of Karen Traviss' shitty writing and her personal politics. just like her terrible opinion on jedi.

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017
Bungie's entire Halo production cyle is absolutely filled with abrupt characterization changes, tone inconsistencies and incomprehensible plot twists, this isn't a secret.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
honestly, i think Traviss' narrative and plots were really good. the antagonization of Halsey was a great idea, and was completely in character for an ONI that was losing its grip on the Spartan program secrets.

i think where she faltered was in her hamfisted approach to getting supporting characters to buy-in to Paragoski's propaganda (though i think it worked out well for Sarin's arc).

she also wasn't very good are writing action sequences

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
honestly, i think Traviss' narrative and plots were really good. the antagonization of Halsey was a great idea, and was completely in character for an ONI that was losing its grip on the Spartan program secrets.

i think where she faltered was in her hamfisted approach to getting supporting characters to buy-in to Paragoski's propaganda (though i think it worked out well for Sarin's arc).

she also wasn't very good are writing action sequences

The biggest problems with the K-5 Trilogy I think boil down to Traviss being given shit detail: tie up the loose ends of Halo 3 and bring things up to Halo 4, tableset new factions and villains, and by the way you have to quickly wrap up this lingering plot detail from a beloved fan favorite book that we ultimately aren't too interested in exploring. Mortal Dictata was I think an overall better book and dealt with the legacies of the Spartan program, etc. in a better fashion than the other two; it seems like it was the book she wanted to write the entire time.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
The biggest problems with the K-5 Trilogy I think boil down to Traviss being given shit detail: tie up the loose ends of Halo 3 and bring things up to Halo 4, tableset new factions and villains, and by the way you have to quickly wrap up this lingering plot detail from a beloved fan favorite book that we ultimately aren't too interested in exploring. Mortal Dictata was I think an overall better book and dealt with the legacies of the Spartan program, etc. in a better fashion than the other two; it seems like it was the book she wanted to write the entire time.

interesting point. there's definately something like that going on, but i can't tell if she was under-directed or over-directed.

some characters are just excellent like BB, Jul M'dama, and Chol Von as if she was free to think about how these characters would naturally be effected by they experiences. But, then the Parangosky/Halsey dynamic seems entirely forced in comparison.

Just thinking about K-5 and HTT, makes me really upset at how the univere Traviss setup seems to have been squandered.

BB once made a passing comment about how if Smart AI were in control, they could end all conflict in an instant, but instead lament their own limited existence while following orders to help lifeforms waste other. BB has always been simultaneously a hero and an anti-hero. I think the AI takeover would have been much more interesting if he were secretly behind the scenes doing it, instead of having Cortana launch overtly attacking everyone. Especially after his involvement in HTT.

M'Dama made to look like a buffoon and killed off in a shitty cutscene. I'm not sure what Von is upto, but having characters like those two as principle threats while BB was behind the scenes pulling strings (to be revealed at a later date) would have been pretty cool IMO.

OP
OP
Poodlestrike

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
When will the story take place? I'm hoping for either Pre-Reach or Between H4 and 5.

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017
If you don't ask Guilty Spark the right questions, you won't get the right answers (remember Spark's "but of course it kills everyone" bit in CE?) And after Mendicant Bias nearly blew up the Covenant religion, I think they shut him up as soon as they got the important info about the Icon.

All Truth learned from Mendicant Bias is that the Covenant religion based on the Forerunners having all ascended is a lie (because humanity remained, as descendants of Forerunners in Staten's original intent and as the inheritors, not the Covenant, in the new canon.) He didn't learn that the rings were actually WMDs. They only had sketchy details about the Flood.

If Truth knew the truth about the rings, then he was committing suicide because if Tartarus activated the rings he would have had no way to the Ark. Makes more sense that he was operating contingency plans and getting the hell out of the Flood-infested High Charity in case things didn't work out.

This is FUD's take as well. All that scheming in Halo 2 ends up blowing up in his face, and you end up with the unhinged mess you see in Halo 3.

I don't think people would have been bothered as much by the "different character" stuff if it had been Michael Wincott still voicing the character. Much of the difference is down to delivery, rather than lines (and we also aren't privileged to see him in a non-official capacity in 3.)

Part of my understanding is that with H2, the Ark was where all life was reseeded from. Whoever controlled it in conjunction with the firing of the Halo's, would be able to rebuild the universe in their image. Quite effectively, becoming gods. Had Truth took it, he could repopulate the universe as he saw hit (no humans, no elites) whereas if the Gravemind took over it, he'd be able to produce endless bodies and food with no opposition.

When will the story take place? I'm hoping for either Pre-Reach or Between H4 and 5.

I would like to think it would go back to the beginning. If this is meant to be on par with Game of Thrones, it can't expect people to be familiar with the story (I realize game of thrones has tons of backstory, but given the source material was built to keep this is backstory and not prior reading, I think it's apples and oranges to compare).

Whatever this does, it's going to have to have some sort of appeal to the masses and I don't know how that can work. I wouldn't be surprised if 343 at first wanted the show to tie deeply into existing lore, and showtime wisely shoved back against that.

I'd expect them to take a "through the main characters eyes" sort of story, profiling some innocent civilian or solider as he gets wrapped up into the human-covenant war so people new to the franchise can experience things for the first time, through said character.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Part of my understanding is that with H2, the Ark was where all life was reseeded from. Whoever controlled it in conjunction with the firing of the Halo's, would be able to rebuild the universe in their image. Quite effectively, becoming gods. Had Truth took it, he could repopulate the universe as he saw hit (no humans, no elites) whereas if the gravemind took over it, he'd be able to produce endless bodies and food with no opposition.
Mind blown.
That makes so much sense now.
And it makes sense why Truth was fine with Regret and Mercy dying. He knew their religion was false in a sense BUT he could become a god in another sense. Good enough reason to keep up appearances of being religious and whatever else. Because later he'd be the god, and others would worship him.

This actually makes his Halo 3 characterization even more problematic. He is close to getting all he wanted! What did it matter that the High Charity was infested in Halo 2? Nothing, soon it would not be an issue. No, things didn't come crashing down around him. So why so insane and maniacal?

GringoSuave89

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
LA, CA
Wow, they're actually doing foreign location filming. I was afraid they'd be in Vancouver hahaha.

And I still love the Kilo-5 novels. Pacing is wonky and action scenes are fairly nondescript, but the characters and their interactions were great. But I agree, 343 gave her a laundry list of checkmark and she clearly couldn't give them all proper development, but I dig them warts and all.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
Part of my understanding is that with H2, the Ark was where all life was reseeded from. Whoever controlled it in conjunction with the firing of the Halo's, would be able to rebuild the universe in their image. Quite effectively, becoming gods. Had Truth took it, he could repopulate the universe as he saw hit (no humans, no elites) whereas if the Gravemind took over it, he'd be able to produce endless bodies and food with no opposition.

I would like to think it would go back to the beginning. If this is meant to be on par with Game of Thrones, it can't expect people to be familiar with the story (I realize game of thrones has tons of backstory, but given the source material was built to keep this is backstory and not prior reading, I think it's apples and oranges to compare).

Whatever this does, it's going to have to have some sort of appeal to the masses and I don't know how that can work. I wouldn't be surprised if 343 at first wanted the show to tie deeply into existing lore, and showtime wisely shoved back against that.

I'd expect them to take a "through the main characters eyes" sort of story, profiling some innocent civilian or solider as he gets wrapped up into the human-covenant war so people new to the franchise can experience things for the first time, through said character.

The beginning of what though? The beginning of the Human-Covenant War? The Beginning of the Spartan II program?

There are so many interesting plotlines that they could explore to get new people up to speed w/o retreading old ground. Or they could retread old ground and I'd be ok w/ that too!

Most Halo fans were thrust right into the middle of a decades long conflict that was nearing its end, and that turned out pretty good.

There are so many different ways to do this "right" (or wrong), so I'm just getting anxious thinking about it.

AnubisRising

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
i wouldn't be surprised if it starts with the beginning of the spartan 2 program, and if we font see the start of the covenant war till the final couple of ep

i also think they will tell there own story and not follow 100% the story from the books and games

GringoSuave89

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
LA, CA
i wouldn't be surprised if it starts with the beginning of the spartan 2 program, and if we font see the start of the covenant war till the final couple of ep

i also think they will tell there own story and not follow 100% the story from the books and games

I'd rather it be it's own thing than an adaptation. I also think the space between 3 and 4, and to a lesser extent 4 and 5, is fertile ground for interesting stories. As a fan I don't really want a retread of the Covenant War, but of they're looking to bring in viewers without any prior knowledge of the series it's probably the best place to start.

OP
OP
Poodlestrike

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
The article says it's a miniseries so I'm expecting some side-story with ONI and maybe one Spartan.

Status
Not open for further replies.