• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

When will Halo Infinite be revealed?

• Yes, before E3

Votes: 13 11.8%
  • Yes, during E3

Votes: 20 18.2%
  • Wait, E3 was canceled

Votes: 32 29.1%
  • Daisy, Daisy...

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I will not... allow you... to leave. This. PLANET!

Votes: 14 12.7%
  • Halo's just dad.

Votes: 29 26.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
No plans at this time— and we have a lot going on - the other thing I've said as long ago as H2A is that there's diminishing returns on fidelity increase possibilities vs the OG Xbox games - the two main brute force asks — 60fps and native (1080p) HD resolution are already in MCC - so to do anything really meaningful you'd have to take a fundamentally different approach- new content or additional story or whatever — and frankly H3 and Reach both look far more modern with the existing upgrades than CE or 2 could without the remastered approach.

Not to say it's impossible that we could do something in the future but honestly our resources are at this point bringing MCC and Reach to the best place they can be on PC and Xbox- and the much greater challenge of creating Halo Infinite and the underlying technology.
Well....unfortunately, I can't even really disagree with that. Maybe he next gen jump with Scarlett will justify the 360 graphics looking too old, but by then Halo 3 will have been out for a long while on the MCC, even then it might not be worth it.

I just hope it happens because then Halo 3 will be the most outdated looking game in the series, and that'd bum me out.
Some 343 person said in the Halo discord that they have no plans on bringing H5 to MCC. Not much of a loss though.
This, however, should happen at some point. It'd be kind of pointless to have all the Halo collection EXCEPT Halo 5 on PC and I don't really see why not. If we're getting the ultimate halo collection, make it ultimate. It's probably a case where it's just not enough resources for now, but I see no reason why it shouldn't happen eventually.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
lol sorry didn't mean to restart the playtime wars. Absolutely not interested in talking about that again, though i'm sure you can infer my position.

anyways im watching a halo 3 speedrun and wondering: what the heck was the deal with the gravemind interrogating cortana? what was he trying to find out? also why was she basically completely ok when you got to her after all the implications of her being assimilated and shit.

"at last I see, her secret is revealed [to me]"

what secret, dawg? that the ark was making another halo?

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
That she had the index from the original Installation 04 and was therefore capable of firing the new Installation 04b.
ahhh, ok. odd that it would work that way. wouldn't you want such an important device to generate a new required key when re-making the same version? I never really thought about how convenient that was.

EDIT: just thinking now: so the flood in halo wars 2 is the same flood group from 3, right? are there any scenes where our old gravemind buddy does a big monologue? or are they so scattered and starved that they aint capable of that anymore

HTupolev

Oct 27, 2017
wouldn't you want such an important device to generate a new required key when re-making the same version?
Maybe, but not necessarily. Depends on what the security protocol is, and what the theory is in the ring-rebuilding process. If a website goes down because the server catches fire, you don't necessarily want everyone to have to re-create their logins just because the physical hardware was replaced.

Halo treats a lot of this stuff pretty softly regardless. What the index is, and how it's transferable, isn't very clear.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe, but not necessarily. Depends on what the security protocol is, and what the theory is in the ring-rebuilding process. If a website goes down because the server catches fire, you don't necessarily want everyone to have to re-create their logins just because the physical hardware was replaced.

Halo treats a lot of this stuff pretty softly regardless. What the index is, and how it's transferable, isn't very clear.
yeah fair enough :)

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
EDIT: just thinking now: so the flood in halo wars 2 is the same flood group from 3, right? are there any scenes where our old gravemind buddy does a big monologue? or are they so scattered and starved that they aint capable of that anymore

Same Flood, yeah, but our old Gravemind buddy doesn't appear.

The Flood is being contained in the remains of High Charity by the Sentinels and a shield barrier, until 2 Brutes decide that the Flood/Gravemind are just a made up rumour, so that High Charity can't be raided for it's treasures. They accidentally free the Flood, the Flood overwhelms them and are now trying to build a new Gravemind. You destroy the Proto Gravemind, Atriox (the leader of the Banished) gets mad at you and the game ends.

DorkLord54

Oct 27, 2017
Michigan
Well....unfortunately, I can't even really disagree with that. Maybe he next gen jump with Scarlett will justify the 360 graphics looking too old, but by then Halo 3 will have been out for a long while on the MCC, even then it might not be worth it.

I just hope it happens because then Halo 3 will be the most outdated looking game in the series, and that'd bum me out.

This, however, should happen at some point. It'd be kind of pointless to have all the Halo collection EXCEPT Halo 5 on PC and I don't really see why not. If we're getting the ultimate halo collection, make it ultimate. It's probably a case where it's just not enough resources for now, but I see no reason why it shouldn't happen eventually.
By late 2020, Halo 5 will be the only Halo game that wouldn't be on PC if this were true, so it'd be very strange. I feel like they have plans for it on PC, but don't know how to proceed (even tho I'm honestly of the opinion that it'd do really well on the PC, since I feel like its MP seems like it would fit the platform more than consoles).

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
By late 2020, Halo 5 will be the only Halo game that wouldn't be on PC if this were true, so it'd be very strange. I feel like they have plans for it on PC, but don't know how to proceed (even tho I'm honestly of the opinion that it'd do really well on the PC, since I feel like its MP seems like it would fit the platform more than consoles).
Not only that, they're missing out on the collectionist crowd. I haven't played Halo 5 (no xbox one) and everything I hear about it tells me that it'd be the least enjoyable Halo for me, and even I'd get it if it was on PC and I had literally all the Halo games besides it, just because I'd want a complete set and it's gonna bother me how it's the one Halo game missing. I'd probably want to play it if I ever decided to do a Halo Marathon through all the games, if for no other reason. So yeah, I don't get it myself. And it seems like a port job would be easier than other Halo's, since they already have it partially on PC with the Forge thing.

So....my best guess is that they just have their hands full with MCC and Halo Infinite, but I think it'd just be weird to not have it there.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Halo MCC flights

giphy.gif

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017

The Flood is being contained in the remains of High Charity by the Sentinels and a shield barrier, until 2 Brutes decide that the Flood/Gravemind are just a made up rumour, so that High Charity can't be raided for it's treasures. They accidentally free the Flood, the Flood overwhelms them and are now trying to build a new Gravemind. You destroy the Proto Gravemind, Atriox (the leader of the Banished) gets mad at you and the game ends.
ok so i just watched the ending cutscene
so was the proto gravemind in that section of the halo that professor ellen jettisoned? also having a Guardian show up at the end was a smart way to tie into the end of halo 5 without directly spoiling the cortana thing. i also like how the Ark is now just "battle world" where humans and covenant fight forever i guess. its kinda dumb but cool

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona

Man, I forgot like, all of Halo Wars 2.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
ok so i just watched the ending cutscene
so was the proto gravemind in that section of the halo that professor ellen jettisoned? also having a Guardian show up at the end was a smart way to tie into the end of halo 5 without directly spoiling the cortana thing. i also like how the Ark is now just "battle world" where humans and covenant fight forever i guess. its kinda dumb but cool

Man, I forgot like, all of Halo Wars 2.

I should have said Halo Wars 2 Flood DLC synopsis. None of that happens in the base game.

The story in the base HW2 game is pretty easy to remember, because it is a pretty simple story. UNSC Spirit of Fire vs The Banished and that's about it. Not that anything is wrong about that, but nothing really happens. I felt like it was setting up Halo Wars 3 or maybe even tie into Halo: Infinite, but I don't really know what 343i is up to. I'm still confused about the Halo: Infinite trailer and how we are making a timejump of 2(?) years.

...and regarding your question Calvarok:

The entire Flood DLC takes place on the Ark and the Proto Gravemind is being fought on the Ark, as well..

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
I should have said Halo Wars 2 Flood DLC synopsis. None of that happens in the base game.

The story in the base HW2 game is pretty easy to remember, because it is a pretty simple story. UNSC Spirit of Fire vs The Banished and that's about it. Not that anything is wrong about that, but nothing really happens. I felt like it was setting up Halo Wars 3 or maybe even tie into Halo: Infinite, but I don't really know what 343i is up to. I'm still confused about the Halo: Infinite trailer and how we are making a timejump of 2(?) years.

...and regarding your question Calvarok:

The entire Flood DLC takes place on the Ark and the Proto Gravemind is being fought on the Ark, as well..
ah ok, that makes sense. it feels more like it tied into halo 5 in the sense that
this shows how cortana completed her set of halos that the legendary ending implied she was going for.

as far as hints into halo Infinite there doesn't seem to be anything, like i said its just the ark turned into a kind of endless battle world where the covenant and unsc can fight generic conflicts separate from what's happening in the rest of the universe. its kind of designed to be unimportant to the larger plot

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
You think Cortana managed to get a large portion of the Covenant to join her by Halo Infinite? Could be the way to get the Covenant and whatever Prometheans look like in Infinite to fight as the same team, with the Flood (and maybe Covenant factions that didnt join her) as a third party.

Deleted member 20284

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Quote, Unquote - summary of video.

H4 multiplayer wasn't great at launch. MCC sucked balls for a long time. esports/MLG weren't happy for a long time.

This video should have been released years ago. In the current form of 343, MCC and H5 it's largely irrelevant now. It's worth noting but it's really not focusing on what is the current state of the studio or games nor what is around the corner with Infinite.

It also completely ignores large segments of the player base e.g. default 4v4 (not MLG), BTB, WZ, campaign, studio communication blah blah.

Not worth your time, you know everything in this video already.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Quote, Unquote - summary of video.

H4 multiplayer wasn't great at launch. MCC sucked balls for a long time. esports/MLG weren't happy for a long time.

This video should have been released years ago. In the current form of 343, MCC and H5 it's largely irrelevant now. It's worth noting but it's really not focusing on what is the current state of the studio or games nor what is around the corner with Infinite.

It also completely ignores large segments of the player base e.g. default 4v4 (not MLG), BTB, WZ, campaign, studio communication blah blah.

Not worth your time, you know everything in this video already.

Yeah the target audience is like the top 1% who is super hardcore but I think it does bring up concerns.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

I didn't see this posted, but a couple weeks ago Marty posted his "composition sketches" for the ODST score. Basically what he was thinking when he made the music. It's really cool. He posted in the YouTube comments a few days ago that he's thinking of looking into his REACH files and doing the same thing.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
You think Cortana managed to get a large portion of the Covenant to join her by Halo Infinite? Could be the way to get the Covenant and whatever Prometheans look like in Infinite to fight as the same team, with the Flood (and maybe Covenant factions that didnt join her) as a third party.
as far as i know from reading a summary basically the only thing of wide-reaching note that happens in Bad Blood (set directly after halo 5) is the grunts accept cortana's deal and are on her side. i think it would make a lot of sense for the former covenant to see her as a manifestation of the forerunners and give them faith again. but what would have shaken their faith in her to the point that we'll have to fight covenant enemies again? perhaps another digitized consciousness has usurped her? perhaps one they previously accepted as their rightful leader when he was in physical form?

anyways thats my big prediction for infinite's plot.

EDIT: on a less fanciful note, the question of who or what the actual antagonist will be in this game is rather vexing. I can't see it simply being the non-cortana Created, because somehow that feels too "small". I have absolutely no doubt that the "weapon containment device" is referring to Cortana as the "weapon", so if she is the weapon and not the target, what on earth could that target be? Something with access to dangerous technology, no doubt, since that's what Cortana could most easily be a weapon against. Nothing more dangerous than a Halo, so that part isn't difficult to figure out. But who's trying to fuck with this halo?

Honestly, out of everything we know, the Didact still really does feel like the most likely candidate, but also like he could easily be set up as an ally this time instead. So unless the ultimate overlord of destruction is named "569 Apoplectic Convector", the person at the top of my mental conspiracy corkboard is still just a shadowy figure with ??? next to it.

Last edited:

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017

She's got the grunts for sure. I'd imagine Jackal's would be hit or miss. Most of them aren't fanatical - they are just opportunistic. In my mind, none of the elites would join her - Arbitor crew will not be controlled. The religious nuts aren't going to follow a human construct. The flood obviously wants to eat everyone. And the Banished are a wild card.

I think realistically Cortana's forces should be a mix of everything. Some individuals might actually believe in her cause even if the faction they hail from does not, others would be forced to support her cause. But the resistance should be just as varied, but more disorganized and counterproductive due to persistent animosity between factions.

Last edited:

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, it really bothers me that theyre also holding back the xbox one version just cause the pc one isnt ready. If the pc one isnt ready this month, then why cant we at least get started with the testing on the console?
Yeah I kinda wish they would explain that much, XBO version might not have much left to test at this point lol

Deleted member 12317

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I didn't see this posted, but a couple weeks ago Marty posted his "composition sketches" for the ODST score. Basically what he was thinking when he made the music. It's really cool. He posted in the YouTube comments a few days ago that he's thinking of looking into his REACH files and doing the same thing.

He posted the Reach one a few hours ago, here is part one, will be multi-part :

Oct 17, 2018

If everything goes according to plan, our first flight for Halo: Reach on MCC PC will be next week to a small subsection of registered Halo Insiders. We're starting more modestly because we've got quite a few levers to pull and we want to ensure our delivery pipeline runs smoothly, our communications are clear, and that participants can properly provide their feedback on the build. Since there are so many pieces and levers that need testing, verification, and appropriate approvals, we need to take our time to ensure we're sending out a quality flight to our Halo Insiders. The team has a build which appears to be a strong candidate, but it's still in the middle of going through the test process as I type (and as you read). That said, we're still targeting to release next week and will be sharing the details with the public, so even if you aren't selected for the flight, you'll know what's happening. Stay tuned for more details throughout!

The salt from so many people when they don't get into the flight next week will be palpable.

OP
OP
Poodlestrike

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
What? Was...that not the case in Halo 5? Was this so controversial that it would be included as a major selling point alongside Lan and Player Customization? What?
Eeeeeyup. People got all up in their feelings about colored portions of the undersuits.

I think it was kind of a necessary part of where they were going with the new armor designs - favoring flexibility and realistic ranges of motion meant that they had to use relatively little actual plating, so the undersuit had to pick up the load in terms of color and texture.

Status
Not open for further replies.