• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

When will Halo Infinite be revealed?

• Yes, before E3

Votes: 13 11.8%
  • Yes, during E3

Votes: 20 18.2%
  • Wait, E3 was canceled

Votes: 32 29.1%
  • Daisy, Daisy...

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I will not... allow you... to leave. This. PLANET!

Votes: 14 12.7%
  • Halo's just dad.

Votes: 29 26.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
I actually thought/hoped Halo 5 would play out like ODST, but on a grander scale.

So instead of a HUB world, you played as Locke and Osiris going to different hostile spots in the galaxy looking for clues as to Chief whereabouts. Then when you scanned the clue with the Artimis, you'd trigger a flashback and play as Chief + Blue team.

I think that setup would have allowed for some compelling story telling opportunities.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
H2A at 144 fps.

tenor.gif

mreastman

Prophet of Truth
Jan 2, 2018
Don't get my hopes up! I would die for Halo on PC. if I own MCC on Xbox what are the chances I get it on PC as well?

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
Don't sacrifice 60fps.

Do you mean Halo: Infinite with this? Because, I don't think that they will toss away their dynamic resolution scaler that scales the resolution based on the 60FPS target.

I could imagine them having 60FPS across the board for 1 player, but for anything else (2, 3 and 4 player splitscreen), the target framerate will maybe be 30FPS and that will probably come with some sacrifices, especially on the base Xbox One.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
Do you mean Halo: Infinite with this? Because, I don't think that they will toss away their dynamic resolution scaler that scales the resolution based on the 60FPS target.

I could imagine them having 60FPS across the board for 1 player, but for anything else (2, 3 and 4 player splitscreen), the target framerate will maybe be 30FPS and that will probably come with some sacrifices, especially on the base Xbox One.
agree

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
I know it's selfish and would hurt the initial population but I really wish Infinite was just for next gen and not cross gen.

It's kinda wild they have to make it run on OG One.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
I know it's selfish and would hurt the initial population but I really wish Infinite was just for next gen and not cross gen.

It's kinda wild they have to make it run on OG One.

Are you worried about the OG Xbox One holding the game back? If so, in what areas do you think the game will be held back?

Lets ignore graphics for this one, though, because that's obviously going to be different for every Xbox console and PC.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
Are you worried about the OG Xbox One holding the game back? If so, in what areas do you think the game will be held back?

Lets ignore graphics for this one, though, because that's obviously going to be different for every Xbox console and PC.
If H5 really is going open world then the CPU of the OG Xbox could definitely hurt it somewhat.

Ryouji Gunblade

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
California
I would rather fight a very adaptive squad of enemies than fight a legion of brain-dead auto-aim hive-mind AI.

So maybe that could be the area it is held back? Which would be fine by me. Quality over quantity of enemies is how I like it.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
What open world games do you notice us suffering because of current gen?
Well for one thing very few open world games are 60fps.

There's also the fact that whilst we might not see issues the weak CPU of the current gen consoles would definitely impose limitations. Reduced AI counts, potentially reduced physics complexity etc.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York

I just don't want them having to cut corners or sacrifice things because it would make it run like ass or be unplayable on the OG Xbox One. By time Infinite comes out the OG Xbox One will be archaic. If they are forced to do cross gen it should be Xbox One X compatible only, IMO.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really curious to see how 343 handle Halo esports with MCC and Infinite coming to PC.

Will the scene remain on console to keep current fans/pros happy or will they embrace the PC space which could well lead to an influx of new viewers... There's also the issue that Halo is designed around the controller and so the competitive gameplay might be hurt somewhat by switching to mouse.

Rodeo Clown

Dec 14, 2017
I'm really curious to see how 343 handle Halo esports with MCC and Infinite coming to PC.

Will the scene remain on console to keep current fans/pros happy or will they embrace the PC space which could well lead to an influx of new viewers... There's also the issue that Halo is designed around the controller and so the competitive gameplay might be hurt somewhat by switching to mouse.
Gears of War has been on PC for a while and they stayed with console and controller for esports. I don't think it'll change for Halo, since, like you said, it's designed for a controller. Consoles also ensure an even playing field for the competitors.

More pressing, if we're really in for a year and a half more of MCC HCS, they have to fix the LAN implementation since it's not real LAN right now.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
If H5 really is going open world then the CPU of the OG Xbox could definitely hurt it somewhat.

I can see a halo open world being much less CPU bound than, say, and assassins creed or GTA.

Halo kinda thrives on the sense of isolation, which usually means open spaces with relatively few NPCs onscreen at once. MGS:PP was able to run at 60fps on Xbox one for the same reasons.

Last edited:

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
I just don't want them having to cut corners or sacrifice things because it would make it run like ass or be unplayable on the OG Xbox One. By time Infinite comes out the OG Xbox One will be archaic. If they are forced to do cross gen it should be Xbox One X compatible only, IMO.

I guess I'm not worried about those things. Halo 5's performance was actually pretty good and not an issue at all. If we take that as a baseline, then we are good to go. There are also far more demanding games out there than Halo 5 and if those can manage, then a 1st party title with an even further optimized engine surely can manage, as well.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
just pray the open areas are not like the hubs we had in halo 5. im sorry, but those sections made me just want to bee-line to the waypoint.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
just played a few missions of reach with my son. first time in AGES i've played that and you know what stood out? no, not the bloom you pessimists, marty's fantastic and moody soundtrack. like, i genuinely think halo 4 and 5 have good tunes, but martys soundtracks are just so special at evoking feelings. i'm not an audiophile, most game soundtracks are just kind of there (halo 4 and 5 included), but martys music always made me stop, listen, and appreciate.

Oct 25, 2017
I really liked the weapons-down sections, but while I understand why they split them into separate missions (so people who didn't want to replay them could just skip them) I think they would have worked better integrated into the rest of the structure better.

golem

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished Halo Renegades.. man what a good novel. Cant wait to see what Kelly Gay writes next

Going to read Battle Born now

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

I don't think they can alienate two decades worth of competitive players by switching to PC. They'll stick to Xbox.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't really like or dislike the weapons down sections. I didn't really understand the point- the could have gotten the same info across through normal gameplay.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
I can see a halo open world being much less CPU bound than, say, and assassins creed or GTA.

Halo kinda thrives on the sense of isolation, which usually means open spaces with relatively few NPCs onscreen at once. MGS:PP was able to run at 60fps on Xbox one for the same reasons.

I'm not sure I agree with that. There are certainly a lot of moments when when it's quiet as you describe. However, you also have moments like the double scarab fight etc.

I'm sure Halo infinite will be fine on the OG X1, however, it definitely limits the possibilities of what could be done on a next gen console. Imagine cresting a hill and coming across a massive battlefield with 10+ scorpions and wraiths + hundreds of NPCs battling it out for example.

I don't think they can alienate two decades worth of competitive players by switching to PC. They'll stick to Xbox.
I don't think they will either. I also think that's probably the correct decision - certainly at least in the short term.

However, I do wonder whether Halo esports would be limiting itself by staying on console. Hell, maybe Infinite will be popular enough to support both a PC and Console scene, that would be cool.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
Halo 5 had some good levels, Swords of Sangelios, Enemy Lines, Blue Team and Genesis were all good. Those missions were better than anything in Halo 4. I think it's unfortunate 343i believe the Halo 4 campaign was good, I found the story just as weak as 5 and the missions were actually worse. If you don't have levels in the tier of Attack on the Control Room, Silent Cartographer, Delta Halo, The Arc and The Covenant, then you didn't make a good Halo campaign.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah Halo 4 has the most linear campaign out of the whole series. That's not really a positive.

Status
Not open for further replies.