• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

When will Halo Infinite be revealed?

• Yes, before E3

Votes: 13 11.8%
  • Yes, during E3

Votes: 20 18.2%
  • Wait, E3 was canceled

Votes: 32 29.1%
  • Daisy, Daisy...

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I will not... allow you... to leave. This. PLANET!

Votes: 14 12.7%
  • Halo's just dad.

Votes: 29 26.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Detective

Oct 27, 2017
My issue with WZ was they didn't account for the power creep. WZ at launch was very different compared to six months to a year later. Launch WZ was actually really fun. Not that many players had reqs, so when you used one it felt impactful and you had to use it at the right moment so you don't lose it. Like if you saw someone with a Nornfang, everyone would be trying to kill them, so they could take it. It was fun. The longer the game was out the more reqs players got and the more that were released. Like when everyone is just calling in Nornfang, who gives a fuck anymore. The game just turned into what team had more high tier and late game reqs to spam. Oh it's not p2w because you have to get your req levels first, yeah like that made a fucking difference. It was fucking p2w at the end especially with things like the Wasp.

Then fucking Achilles made this even worse. They turned a casual mode into a full on pub stomp. Let me grab my whole fucking clan, so we can kill randoms over and over again for some ugly ass armor.

I know there are players that said, oh WZ isn't supposed to be balanced. That's the dumbest shit I ever heard. It's still a mode in a competitive FPS, there should be some sense of balancing.

That's why I'm annoyed they neglected BTB for this crap mode just so they could make more money.

Ok I'm done. Fuck WZ.

EXACTLY my words my man. Word for word.
WZ were fun at first and then they fucked it up.

Achilles, What an ugly armor and even more ugly way to get it LMAO.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the power creep and Achilles made Warzone an unbearable experience for a very long time. A couple events that I'll never forget in Warzone:

• The "We Love Achilles" Spartan Company stream-sniping and spawn trapping us for 3 consecutive matches. They were following us between standard Warzone and Warzone Assault and afterwards bragged about it in my Twitch Chat, when I was still doing the Warzone Saturdays. Made me quit the game and the stream for that day.
  • Encountering 343i employees in WZ, which passively participated in the spawn trapping. Can't really blame them, because all they did was just sitting on top of the base and defending it. My only complaint is that the map design, spawn zones and lines of sight were just attrocious for that very reason.
  • 343i employees being spawn trapped successfully for the 1st time and THEN deciding to do something about it.
  • Calling out a certain (now) "pro player" and a certain forum poster for cheating in Warzone Assault (phase 1 skip) only for them to completely dismiss the issue and call us names instead. The irony of not having a problem with cheating, if you are the one doing it, but when somebody else does it to you, it's suddenly an issue. lol

PS: Special thanks to whoever decided to give the Gungoose Passenger infinite Grenades without any cooldown. That was quite fun. /s

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
My issue with WZ was they didn't account for the power creep. WZ at launch was very different compared to six months to a year later. Launch WZ was actually really fun. Not that many players had reqs, so when you used one it felt impactful and you had to use it at the right moment so you don't lose it. Like if you saw someone with a Nornfang, everyone would be trying to kill them, so they could take it. It was fun. The longer the game was out the more reqs players got and the more that were released. Like when everyone is just calling in Nornfang, who gives a fuck anymore. The game just turned into what team had more high tier and late game reqs to spam. Oh it's not p2w because you have to get your req levels first, yeah like that made a fucking difference. It was fucking p2w at the end especially with things like the Wasp.

Then fucking Achilles made this even worse. They turned a casual mode into a full on pub stomp. Let me grab my whole fucking clan, so we can kill randoms over and over again for some ugly ass armor.

I know there are players that said, oh WZ isn't supposed to be balanced. That's the dumbest shit I ever heard. It's still a mode in a competitive FPS, there should be some sense of balancing.

That's why I'm annoyed they neglected BTB for this crap mode just so they could make more money.

Ok I'm done. Fuck WZ.

If they were hell bent on having the Req system as a revenue generator, then the ONLY way to make the gamemode stand the test of time would be to make weapon variants "sidegrades" instead of upgrades.

Gating requisitions behind req energy did nothing but amplify the snowball effect.

And achilles did nothing but speed up the power creep, as it motivated large groups of people to find ways to break the design.

I'm really curious what their big mode will be since they are apparently leaving the world of loot boxes.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
You don't think that they will just rework Warzone arround preset REQ bundles instead of random REQ bundles?

They could... But I given the the number of items they have in the system, I dont see how you make them impulsive.

The current system works because you can offer just a couple different packs, but have every items in the system represented as a probability.

With presets you either have a handful of presets, that give a ton of items in each, with a large portion of them being what the player doesn't want. Or you offer a lot of presets with a handful of items - that make for a busy UI and confusing choices to make.

You also lose that sense of progression when, day one, someone with cash can pickout the whole arsenal.

Letting people directly pay for the weapons/vehicles they want seems like it would lead to even more open to gamebreaking exploitation by players- just like those limited times when 343 sold legendary weapons directly.

I'm actually hoping they realize that they can simplify and improve their big game mode and still make a ton of money by not having people pay to build personal arsenal, and revamping their approach to cosmetics. I think Battle Pass will be extremely influential to them.

Oct 27, 2017
This is some cool stuff

Came here to post this. I was thinking about making a thread but I'm sure it would get buried.

Still crazy to me that these guys had to think of all this stuff for Halo 2. Something that was so challenging for them and took several months, for what was a total non-brainer and something used without thought today. True innovators.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Came here to post this. I was thinking about making a thread but I'm sure it would get buried.

Still crazy to me that these guys had to think of all this stuff for Halo 2. Something that was so challenging for them and took several months, for what was a total non-brainer and something used without thought today. True innovators.
Id say it would be worth it to make a thread about it.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually hoping they realize that they can simplify and improve their big game mode and still make a ton of money by not having people pay to build personal arsenal, and revamping their approach to cosmetics. I think Battle Pass will be extremely influential to them.

I have no issues with cosmetic only items and would actually prefer them over preset bundles that also contain weapons for Warzone or any other mode. Just not sure how viable it is and what 343i's plan on this is. We do know that REQ packs made them more money than any other DLC, so I'm curious if they will double down on this or if it will really just be cosmetics. All we know is that there won't be any random loot boxes, which is good enough.

Id say it would be worth it to make a thread about it.

Same. It's one of the defining moments of Xbox Live.

Oct 25, 2017
I have no issues with cosmetic only items and would actually prefer them over preset bundles that also contain weapons for Warzone or any other mode. Just not sure how viable it is and what 343i's plan on this is. We do know that REQ packs made them more money than any other DLC, so I'm curious if they will double down on this or if it will really just be cosmetics. All we know is that there won't be any random loot boxes, which is good enough.

Not just Xbox Live, but modern online gaming networks themselves. Halo 2 and 3 were crazy influential in how we approach online services (and another reason why it's hilarious Nintendo is more than a decade behind.)

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
This is some cool stuff

Yeah, what always gets lost in the debate over gameplay style is that the classic Halo's each helped revolutionized how we use games to socialized.

The From LAN Parties, to online party system, to forge and fileshare Bungie kept Halo on the front lines of social media innovations.

I think the stagnation and even regression on this front has been largely responsible for failure to keep audiences interested.

Seeing this just remind me how weird it is that H5 ditched lobby chat and "party up".

Reqs made them a ton of money, but they were feeding on whales (something that has been costing companies goodwill and sparked interest in legislation against the practice) and power creep degraded the Warzone experience over time

i think There's enough evidence now that models that aren't so predatory can Be lucrative too - maybe even moreso because the don't degrade the gametypes (keeping the player as high) and provide value to a larger audience than just whales.

Last edited:

Prinz Eugn

Oct 25, 2017
Reqs made them a ton of money, but they were feeding on whales (something that has been costing companies goodwill and sparked interest in legislation against the practice) and power creep degraded the Warzone experience over time

What gets me is how lazy they have been with Warzone balancing, the updates have been sporadic and way later in the life cycle than they should have been.

It still gets me they had the first community playdate in ages like a year and a half ago and lo and behold a week later the Banshee was finally nerfed.

Like there are a ton of things that could be adjusted to address the power creep in WZ but I have a feeling no one at 343i plays it anymore. The Blaze of Glory, Prophet's Bane, Ad Victoriam, the Answer, the Whiplash are all blatantly overpowered. Camo+Advanced Sensors is basically un-counterable, the only worthwhile hogs are the ONI and the Gauss variants, and on and on.

Oct 25, 2017
What gets me is how lazy they have been with Warzone balancing, the updates have been sporadic and way later in the life cycle than they should have been.

It still gets me they had the first community playdate in ages like a year and a half ago and lo and behold a week later the Banshee was finally nerfed.

Like there are a ton of things that could be adjusted to address the power creep in WZ but I have a feeling no one at 343i plays it anymore. The Blaze of Glory, Prophet's Bane, Ad Victoriam, the Answer, the Whiplash are all blatantly overpowered. Camo+Advanced Sensors is basically un-counterable, the only worthwhile hogs are the ONI and the Gauss variants, and on and on.

Wait they actually nerfed the Banshee?

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017

The thing is, there revenue stream is designed around the concept that the things you unlock with req energy are progressively overpowered.

Why fix the issue when people are spending money so that that they can have lots of OP items, and dominate those who don't?

I feel like there are so many variables and dynamics at play that if they started attempting to tweaking things for balance, there will be some unintended consequences somewhere else.

At this point I just hope they go back to the drawing board with Warzone 2.0.

It just needs to be simpler.

Weapon Variants and Vehicle variants should be side-grades - with pros and cons when compared to base variants. There shouldn't be straight up crappy versions of anything - those are basically just filler to shame players into buying more req packs. Nor should there be anything blatantly OP.

scopes and armor mods should give way to new powerups that can be picked up and give visual ques to opponents who see you using them

Basically players shouldn't really have to spend time in menus trying to measure how much they have and can afford to use - they should be out playing.

There are a lot of other things I think they could do to streamline the mode - masking it easier for players and sandbox designers to better understand how everything fits together.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017

I also remember Wasps being introduced as a Level 3 REQ, which led to even more unbalanced games. Such a weird decision.

Seeing this just remind me how weird it is that H5 ditched lobby chat and "party up".

Halo 5 didn't let you bring your party to an other players lobby either. Everyone had to join seperately, which was rather annoying.

i think There's enough evidence now that models that aren't so predatory can Be lucrative too - maybe even moreso because the don't degrade the gametypes (keeping the player as high) and provide value to a larger audience than just whales.

Like I said, I would actually prefer this solution, because I really want every gamemode to be an even playing field. People who defend these things with things like "it's only in that mode" and "you don't have to play it" will never not sound crazy to me.

Not just Xbox Live, but modern online gaming networks themselves. Halo 2 and 3 were crazy influential in how we approach online services (and another reason why it's hilarious Nintendo is more than a decade behind.)

Wasn't really sure about that, which is why I only stated it for Xbox Live to be safe. Have no clue if others had similiar features in development, at that time.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
Halo 5 didn't let you bring your party to an other players lobby either. Everyone had to join seperately, which was rather annoying.

Yeah that was probably the best thing about "party up" - jumping into matchmaking with a friend, hitting it off with two people who end up on your team, then seamlessly merging the two parties into one. A lot of old friendships were built this way. In Halo 5, the task was so cumbersome, that people would just say their goodbyes before voicechat was unceremoniously cut-off in the post game lobby. Sometimes I'd even go back to add someone from recent players and they wouldn't be there. Again, they really butchered the "social networking" aspect that was key to growing the Halo online community.

Like I said, I would actually prefer this solution, because I really want every gamemode to be an even playing field. People who defend these things with things like "it's only in that mode" and "you don't have to play it" will never not sound crazy to me.

Yeah, I was actually one of those people until the wasp was released, and months went by before I had a DMR. Unfair, broken game design is never ideal, even if it's limited to 1 mode. If having rare, disturbingly OP weapons in the sandbox is key to the revenue stream because it exploits whales, then there's a huge flaw in your game's PvP design.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that was probably the best thing about "party up" - jumping into matchmaking with a friend, hitting it off with two people who end up on your team, then seamlessly merging the two parties into one. A lot of old friendships were built this way. In Halo 5, the task was so cumbersome, that people would just say their goodbyes before voicechat was unceremoniously cut-off in the post game lobby. Sometimes I'd even go back to add someone from recent players and they wouldn't be there. Again, they really butchered the "social networking" aspect that was key to growing the Halo online community.

Yeah, I was actually one of those people until the wasp was released, and months went by before I had a DMR. Unfair, broken game design is never ideal, even if it's limited to 1 mode. If having rare, disturbingly OP weapons in the sandbox is key to the revenue stream because it exploits whales, then there's a huge flaw in your game's PvP design.

You know what else I really miss doing? Going to somebodies File Share and check their content. Was one of my favourite things to do in Halo 3's pre-game lobby. It was like looking at someones showcase and you often found awesome pictures, fun maps/gametypes and also videos of all sorts that you all could download. I understand hiding Gamertags in the pre-game lobby (especially for ranked play), but this is something that you should still be able to do regardless of that. Really fits that social networking aspect that you mentioned.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
You know what else I really miss doing? Going to somebodies File Share and check their content. Was one of my favourite things to do in Halo 3's pre-game lobby. It was like looking at someones showcase and you often found awesome pictures, fun maps/gametypes and also videos of all sorts that you all could download. I understand hiding Gamertags in the pre-game lobby (especially for ranked play), but this is something that you should still be able to do regardless of that. Really fits that social networking aspect that you mentioned.

Absolutely. I think advancements in social networking is where classic halo previously shined and is largely what Halo has been missing in the effort to maintain its status - not dramatic shifts in the gameplay loop.

I feel like once Bungie took their foot off the gas in this department with Reach, and that coupled with polarizing gameplay changes from then on , we start to see the series decline.

This is why I think things like Forge+Fileshare+ modern Content Discovery features, Dedicated Server Rentals, community powered Playlist management, Party and Lobby Features etc are key to the series' continued success

This is where Halo needs to evolve.

They can't just launch a Halo games with a couple dev maintained playlists and expect gameplay alone to carry it. Things like Mixtape are a tiny step in the right direction, but there's a lot of work to be done.

Oct 26, 2017
The social aspects in Halo is what got it to where it is today and for sure should be the #1 priority in shaping Infinite's matchmaking.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
Batttlefield V is a perfect axample of why Halo Infinite shouldn't get a BR move. Game only has a handful of maps and post launch resources are being wasted on a BR mode. I'd love more core maps and it certainly needs a lot, but I doubt we'll get the amount of post launch DLC Battlefield 4 saw.

Sec0nd

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Wow what? Trying to play some MCC since a year or two. And I have to download a 73gig patch? That is insanity.

Rodeo Clown

Dec 14, 2017
This is cool:
Today, Feb 20, we are bringing 45 Classic Halo 3 Forge maps to you. Several of these will be available in various Social Matchmaking modes while the remaining ones will be accessible on the file share of "The343Favorites" should you want to play them in custom games. This update also brings players an increase to kills to win in the slayer game type for Multi-Team based on community feedback, so it mirrors legacy.
Full list is at the link. I don't remember any of these maps by name, but I'm sure I'll recognize them in matchmaking. Good on 343.

Oct 26, 2017
Batttlefield V is a perfect axample of why Halo Infinite shouldn't get a BR move. Game only has a handful of maps and post launch resources are being wasted on a BR mode. I'd love more core maps and it certainly needs a lot, but I doubt we'll get the amount of post launch DLC Battlefield 4 saw.
BFV in general is a great example of what 343i should not do

Oct 25, 2017

people at 343 actually playing Halo... Madness.

Deleted member 20284

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is cool:

Full list is at the link. I don't remember any of these maps by name, but I'm sure I'll recognize them in matchmaking. Good on 343.

I hate to be a downer but the networking and regional population has me hating on Halo 3 in MCC. I can't stand it. Good for those that can have quality connection games with other players. A total waste of resources for those that can't.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Yup bring on MCC PC and Switch via xCloud, I'm fucking ready lol

*We live in a world where this isn't the craziest thing to say

Deleted member 20284

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
use your upside down internet. its speculation.

seeing as how in the bonnie ross article about whatever hall of fame, she said its going to take longer than the normal cycle for halo infinite.

No worries, just thought some statement or something was released. I hope we at least see something of Infinite this year. I also speculate it won't come out until next year though, hopefully not 2021.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
Infinite is launching whenever the next Xbox is but it will be cross-gen on Xbox One and also on PC at the same time.

343 better be prepping their servers because with Game Pass Day 1 support and having cross-gen / PC players the population for this game the first week or so is gonna be insane.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
Why would they release anything this year? The new Xbox is around the corner. At the very least it will work on both, so may as well show it all at the same time.

Poncho Chief is very confused.

Status
Not open for further replies.