• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Lol, why even do a SPNKR Nerf gun if they are going to make it a handgun. Just do the Magnum instead.
AR is very accurate to the game, so it seems the Needler has gotten a bit of a change to its shape again. Rounder at the bottom and the bottom back part has been shortened. Though the changes could just be for the toy to make it easier to hold.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
So... Rocket launcher pistols confirmed in Infinite then? :D

Probbably more that it would be incredibly difficult to design a nerf gun that can do that. The mechanism would have to load in the dart, then turn it sideways before firing.
There's the Infinius which has a motorized loader although it takes the darts facing forward, not rotated. Would probably get really expensive.

Lol, why even do a SPNKR Nerf gun if they are going to make it a handgun. Just do the Magnum instead.
AR is very accurate to the game, so it seems the Needler has gotten a bit of a change to its shape again. Rounder at the bottom and the bottom back part has been shortened. Though the changes could just be for the toy to make it easier to hold.

Yeah, they even have a standardized rocket projectile these days that's used by "grenade launcher" parts or the Fortnite RPG-7.

Mad_Rhetoric

Banned
May 7, 2019
That needler pistol is nowhere as cool as the Boomco

81DC8nFrCbL._AC_SX355_.jpg

51HVeEUB6yL.jpg

AR looks nice but I prefer the Halo CE style AR.
747b0645-d99c-46ca-9a7f-2fa648222c4f_1.73f5c93a7829964cc326eaeabadd2286.jpeg

Wish we had CE-style with Nerf quality. And I hope Nerf makes more like the Pistol/Magnum

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Kind of a stretch, but has Nerf ever done a license deal with an M rated game?

To me this says Infinite is going for a T rating, which means probably no blood/gore, which means no Flood.
Halo 5 was T and Halo Wars, which featured the flood, was also T. Halo was always a very tamed M title anyways.

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
Are people serious about skins in MP breaking "immersion"?

It's just a minor quibble for me, but when I see intros in games and all the soldiers in COD or Spartans in Halo have pink and neon green skins...yeah it's just goofy to me. Remember the "yaaaay!" confetti explosion when you get a kill in Reach? It just got old really fast and in my opinion took away from the game. I always choose slick/badass over goofy and tacky in these types of games. But I suppose I'm in the minority.

Apr 30, 2019
Man, that AR looks noce.

Is this like Gears 5 then where everyone picks the Terminator or Sarah Conor totally destroying the immersion of the game?
I'd wish there would be options to turn this off. But I know that will never happen because people need to show of their ugly fancy skins.

This is my biggest fear. I actually like to be immersed in multiplayer games, but it's impossible nowadays with all the ridiculous skins in every game. This has honestly been the worst thing to happen to gaming in my opinion in the last 10 or so years. It's beyond stupid that there's no option for players to turn off the ability to see other players skins. I guess devs think that people would be less inclined to buy these dumb ass skins if they couldn't force every other player to look at them.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Halo 5 was T and Halo Wars, which featured the flood, was also T. Halo was always a very tamed M title anyways.

Halo 5 did not feature the Flood, and Halo Wars is at a fidelity where any gore is pretty negligible, particularly with the flood (Humans aren't being dismembered and spewing red blood for example)

A first person game that features the flood as we know it in 2020 would be rated M, full stop.

Last edited:

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Remember how whiney nerds got any personality the Spartan IV's had in MP taken out because they couldn't handle fist bumps or whatever the fuck

Of course these people are serious

To be honest I was fine with that cut. In addition I wish 343i Would stop with these fancy intros/outros to matches as they are a waste of time.

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
Remember how whiney nerds got any personality the Spartan IV's had in MP taken out because they couldn't handle fist bumps or whatever the fuck

Of course these people are serious

How is it any different than discussing artstyle or tone? Add a bunch of cartoony stuff that doesn't otherwise fit the game, and I personally think you're messing with the artstyle/tone of the game. Excuse me for my opinion.

I get no pump like Halo pump, but that doesn't mean I can't voice my opinion on trends that I think are ridiculous. And they're putting them in because people pay for silly customization, not necessarily because the devs themselves like it or think it's good for the game...keep that in mind. Granted I still think these things are relatively harmless, but we're talking about the little info that we can squeeze out of Halo: Infinite right now, so people are gonna talk about it. Cliche, but welcome to a gaming forum.

edit: and yeah, the fist bumps were dumb. Getting rid of it in favor of a "I'm a fucking Spartan" silent stance was incredibly welcome.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2019
Are people serious about skins in MP breaking "immersion"?

How is it hard to understand that a bunch of cartoony effects can look out of place in some games? What would be wrong with Giving players the option to not see other players skins? The only reason I can think that this hasn't been implemented in games with wonky custom skins is because the devs think less people would buy them in that case.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Halo 5 did not feature the Flood, and Halo Wars is at a fidelity where any gore is pretty negligible, particularly with the flood (Humans aren't being dismembered and spewing red blood for example)

A first person game that features the flood as we know it in 2020 would be rated M, full stop.
I didn't say Halo 5 had the flood.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
edit: and yeah, the fist bumps were dumb. Getting rid of it in favor of a "I'm a fucking Spartan" silent stance was incredibly welcome.

Nah. It made more sense for young military bros to act like young military bros than stoic shadow the edgehog epic assassins with no emotion. It also matches the Steve Blum callouts way more

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Halo 5 did have no blood splatter effects though, probably a consequence of 343i aiming for 60 fps.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Halo 5 did have no blood splatter effects though, probably a consequence of 343i aiming for 60 fps.

I can't imagine blood decals really impacting performance that much.
My tinfoil hat senses tell me that it's because of Destiny being rated T.

So much of Halo 5 feels like "Oh 343 liked Destiny" and the T rating is just the cherry on top. Over the years the blood has always been toned down from game to game but the complete absence of it in Halo 5 feels more like a concerted effort than just a natural thing.

I don't want Gears of War style gore, but I do miss the blood effects of Combat Evolved. It helped tie in the dangerous, and later, horrific atmosphere of the game, a sort of nice contrast between the otherwise serene and peaceful vistas of the Halo.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't imagine blood decals really impacting performance that much.
My tinfoil hat senses tell me that it's because of Destiny being rated T.

So much of Halo 5 feels like "Oh 343 liked Destiny" and the T rating is just the cherry on top. Over the years the blood has always been toned down from game to game but the complete absence of it in Halo 5 feels more like a concerted effort than just a natural thing.

I don't want Gears of War style gore, but I do miss the blood effects of Combat Evolved. It helped tie in the dangerous, and later, horrific atmosphere of the game, a sort of nice contrast between the otherwise serene and peaceful vistas of the Halo.

Halo 1's blood splatters did effect framerate, you could literally paint a small room with a dead elites blood and the framerate would take a noticeable hit.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I know. I'm not sure why you brought up Halo 5. Halo 5 was T, and didn't include Flood. Which was my point.
I'm pointing out that Halo is starting to turn away from an M rating and I firmly believe you do not need to be an M rated Halo to have the flood no matter the perspective you have the player in.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm pointing out that Halo is starting to turn away from an M rating and I firmly believe you do not need to be an M rated Halo to have the flood no matter the perspective you have the player in.

If 343 includes the Flood in Halo Infinite, I really hope they keep them gross and scary. Otherwise, what's the point?

The Halo Wars 2 Sunset Overdrive/Gears of War 3 style cartoonish Flood just don't do it for me, but I can deal with it at a bird's eye view.

Anything like that can hog resources. It's one of the reasons why weapons despawn more quickly in Halo 4 for example.

Sure, but Halo 4 was pushing what the 360 could do at the end of its life cycle. Halo 5 looks pretty at times, but it's not the most impressive looking game, even at the time, only 2 years out from XBO's launch. I guess that's a testament to how weak the Xbox One base hardware was, but also even that doesn't seem to line up with other 60fps multiplayer shooters like Gears where those effects are everywhere and the game runs buttery smooth.

Maybe it's a limitation of their internal tech, hence their new Slipspace Engine.

TE4M GREENE

Sep 23, 2019
With all the bunny hopping and crouching up and down while strafing, I'd say Halo is already pretty goofy looking. A Hawaiian pizza skin on an AR isn't all that out of place.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
If 343 includes the Flood in Halo Infinite, I really hope they keep them gross and scary. Otherwise, what's the point?

The Halo Wars 2 Sunset Overdrive/Gears of War 3 style cartoonish Flood just don't do it for me, but I can deal with it at a bird's eye view.

I never thought they were cartoonish in Halo Wars 2. A little chunky to serve the gameplay and the camera being far away, but the same old flood they've always been

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I never thought they were cartoonish in Halo Wars 2. A little chunky to serve the gameplay and the camera being far away, but the same old flood they've always been

I think they look fine in cutscenes (Though definitely toned down, more mucus-y than fleshy looking to me)

I guess cartoonish is subjective, but the art style is definitely distinct from what they were. Arguably the glowy bits are evocative of the subtle green glow in Combat Evolved, but, eh, not even honestly.

409px-Juggernaut_Concept.png
800px-Flood_Juggernaut_High_Charity.jpg
600px-HFR_Juggernaught_Render_2.png

Halo 2 concept, cut model, and Halo Fireteam Raven Render for the "Flood Juggernaught"

vs

a9f13a8c79cc3731c9e8cefb5a800b9e3674699dv2_hq.jpg
800px-HW2-Abomination_Render.jpg

Concept and render for Halo Wars 2's "Flood Abomination" which was pretty directly inspired by the cut Halo 2 concept.

Obviously it's not a complete deviation, and it's still somewhat gross looking for sure, but it's definitely a different sort of take. It reminds me of 343's Spartan IV flood forms, which are evocative of the idea of the flood on paper, but don't really look like the Flood in Halo 1-3.

original.png

vs

ELITE_COMBAT_FORM_IN_HALO_3_by_victortky.jpg
1785730710-Human_Flood_Combat_Form_H3.png
latest

So if Halo Infinite wants to be both T and have the Flood in it, I'd imagine they do the sort of Halo Wars 2 Glowy Bits route, where it's a bit more cartoony and video-game-ish. Halo Wars 2 does include some stuff that's closer to the original Flood Style, but I can't imagine interacting with higher resolution versions of these in first person in a T rated game, where they'd likely dismember or fall apart when killed.

DEjFLuAXoAEQU8b

Bonus images: What Halo Wars 2's Juggernaut reminds me of. Gross and Gnarly sure, but not really gory or flood-like.

2622800-sunset-overdrive-cinematic-horror-night-od.jpg
995px-Gow-3-lambent-gunker.jpg

DarkWish

Oct 27, 2017
Virginia
Hasbro has their Entertainment Brand Preview Event this Saturday at 1:30 pm EST to coincide with New York Toy Fair this weekend, so I bet these NERF guns will be officially revealed and potentially available for pre-order this Saturday.