• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
Last edited:

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I missed this until now.
I hope they can replace that mouse sensitivity slider with an input box - and even better yet, that mouse sensitivity also affects the mouse cursor (if used in menus etc).
A minimum mouse sensitivity of "1" often forces you to use low CPI settings on a mouse rather than high CPI settings, which can result in the view turning in quantized steps rather than smoothly.

It's a similar situation with mouse polling rate. I was surprised to find that Minecraft of all games made mouse polling rate really obvious when I tried it out recently.

That's how FoV scaling is supposed to work. The gun/arms should become more visible as you ''pull back'' into your character.

I agree that it seems a bit overkill in that picture though.
Exactly. The main issue is probably that the guns in Halo are huge because they were modelled to look good at a low FOV.

Can't they be independent? Like Crysis games have two fov values. One for how much of the environment you can see and one for the player model.
It should be possible, but it's generally best to keep them linked.
Having the viewmodel fixed at a low FOV while the camera is at a high FOV is enough to make me motion sick in many games.

BeforeU

Banned for use of alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
glad its not straight up boring port and getting the love and care it deserves. Just don't be fucking broken on launch.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
I'm so thankful for centered crosshair. I don't know what Bungie was thinking having the crosshair placed so low.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
I might make a diagram for this, but it makes sense with a TV that's elevated on a table or whatever, and a more casual couch setup.
It never makes sense! I don't want to have to aim straight up to go for a headshot! It's helluv disorienting and I don't need the majority of my view being ceiling and sky! AAA! I love Halo, but this always bugged me big time.

Total Cereal

Oct 28, 2017
I've been moving back to Xbox from PC for a few years, and I've been enjoying MCC since the insider program last year. That said, I'm a sucker for a well done PC version. My PC may be outdated, but I'm sure it can still run MCC and I will be buying it on Steam day 1.

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
It's important to note however that Halo Online 0.6 had this feature, custom viewmodels for weapons:

I set up this config, 110 FOV, centered crosshair and slightly lowered weapons. It was perfect. It is absolutely possible in this engine.

Here is what Halo 3 looks like by default for comparion:
Doesnt Halo Online use a completely different engine than the mainline games?

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
Hadn't really thought about it, but are we expecting much, if anything, in the way of graphic improvements compared to the console version?

Deleted member 11985

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sounds good. I would've preferred to hear and see more about gameplay, rather than so much about the menu. But I'll take their word for it.

Anyway, did you all see the tats on that one guy on the dev team?

splashdamageteam-440c6716ff44466596db7259acbcc677-09c21b9b337b48fe97eaf410456c4839.jpg

The dude looks like he means business. It instills a strange sense of confidence in me for some reason knowing that guy's on the team.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
EULA has been added to steamdb. Contains insider stuff. It says you cant record etc. But i think thats just a basic EULA. They said them self there is no NDA

Since the flights won't be under NDA and participants will stream that content, we want to get out in front of that and play it ourselves to provide proper context and insight for players on what will be a work-in-progress build.We're still seeing a steady flow of Halo Insider sign-ups and we're incredibly thankful for the outpouring of support across the community. Hang in there - we're eager to share and show more as soon as we can!
qxancux8txw21.png

https://store.steampowered.com//eula/976730_eula_0

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
EULA has been added to steamdb. Contains insider stuff. It says you cant record etc. But i think thats just a basic EULA. They said them self there is no NDA

qxancux8txw21.png

https://store.steampowered.com//eula/976730_eula_0
I'm guessing the beta's are coming in sometime soonish. This might be part of wrapping up loose ends here and there, or it's just another thing and they're somewhere further back in the process. But I'll assume they're entering the final stages.
Hadn't really thought about it, but are we expecting much, if anything, in the way of graphic improvements compared to the console version?
No. Like, maybe options for sharper shadows and other things that are easy changes, but no new assets or effects.

Smash Kirby

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2017
I'm guessing the beta's are coming in sometime soonish. This might be part of wrapping up loose ends here and there, or it's just another thing and they're somewhere further back in the process. But I'll assume they're entering the final stages.

No. Like, maybe options for sharper shadows and other things that are easy changes, but no new assets or effects.
We could see them use less compressed textures depending on whether or not 343 still has the original textures.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Bit unrelated but i hope this gamebar update gets soon out also in line with the flights.
This looks really nice and handy.

Smash Kirby

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2017
We probably would have seen that on Xbox, considering the difference in RAM there. Maybe you'll be able to run the textures through ESRGAN or Waifu2x.
There are probably raw files for the textures on servers, if they still have them. If I am right they might be DDS files, and there might be other version of that texture that are less compressed.

BigTnaples

Oct 30, 2017
I am excited for this, when the Asus ROG Swift PG35VQ Ultrawide HDR Gysnc 200hz Quantum Dot Monitor releases, paired with a 2080 Ti FTW, these games will look incredible and most likely run at high framerates.

Has there been any word on Reach for XB1X release date?

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
It seems so easy on paper, but lots of devs fail to deliver on that. "Yeah, just let port this shit over, they'll manage!". I mean, I get that implementation is one thing, but to at least think of such things isn't actually that hard. If any dev is in doubt: just look at the OP. It's right there! The only thing that isn't explicitly mentioned but should also be in there: field of fucking view. It's staggering how this simple yet crucial feature is missing in so many modern games, especially in first person games. Like some of the devs have never spoken to the PC community or played on PC.

That being said, this looks really promising and the awareness of the importance of all those settings is reassuring gains them lots of points on my dev sympathy scale.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
It seems so easy on paper, but lots of devs fail to deliver on that. "Yeah, just let port this shit over, they'll manage!". I mean, I get that implementation is one thing, but to at least think of such things isn't actually that hard. If any dev is in doubt: just look at the OP. It's right there! The only thing that isn't explicitly mentioned but should also be in there: field of fucking view. It's staggering how this simple yet crucial feature is missing in so many modern games, especially in first person games. Like some of the devs have never spoken to the PC community or played on PC.

That being said, this looks really promising and the awareness of the importance of all those settings is reassuring gains them lots of points on my dev sympathy scale.
Support for FOV sliders (to the extent each game can realistically support)

Keep in mind some of these games are really old, so there is only so much they can do on FoV without breaking the game.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017

FOV is in the OP?

Bastos

Oct 25, 2017

Try reading the OP

Smash Kirby

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2017
Everytime I see an update here my heart skips a beat thinking there is some sort of announcement.

I am glad they are taking their time making the games as good as they can be.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
No problem. I think it's rather clear they are really trying to build the best PC versions of the games they can, despite some of them being really old code.
Yeah, my critique was rather meant towards studios that develop (modern) games from scratch with all the options and possibilities available. Remastering games has its limits and at some point you can only do so much. I really appreciate that it's not a quick cash grab and they put, so it seems, lot of effort into this.

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I wonder if they're using the PC version to clean up the codebase so they can re-sell this collection for years to come on various platforms.