• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

KainXVIII

Oct 26, 2017
Reach looks dated even in 4k, maybe HBAO+ will help a little, no extra effects or hires texture pack in PC version?

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
It's the fact that the game is running 11 different engines...

1. Halo Reach
  2. Halo Combat Evolved
  3. Halo Combat Evolved Anniversary
  4. Halo 2
  5. Halo 2 Anniversary
  6. Halo 2 Anniversary Multiplayer
  7. Halo 3
  8. Halo 3 ODST
  9. Halo 4
  10. Legacy MCC UI
  11. Unreal Engine for improved UI

Combine all of that with the reputation MCC gained with it's original launch and you can understand why they are taking thier time doing this right for PC.
I understand the whole multiple engines situation, what I'm asking is what makes porting each of these games, individually, considerably more complicated than any other game. Like, Reach is a seventh generation console game. What makes Reach, in a vacuum, different than any other seventh generation console game that's been ported to PC?

c0Zm1c

Oct 25, 2017
I understand the whole multiple engines situation, what I'm asking is what makes porting each of these games, individually, considerably more complicated than any other game. Like, Reach is a seventh generation console game. What makes Reach, in a vacuum, different than any other seventh generation console game that's been ported to PC?
I would imagine it's because they want to make it a great port versus just an adequate one, which is sadly often the case with ports from console to PC.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017

Halo games were never built with PC in mind (not until Halo Wars 2 anyways) and that influences a couple things like the FOV, the physics engine and a lot more stuff. That and them just not wanting to fuck this up after the initial Halo: MCC release.

Oct 25, 2017
Postums: With Halo: Combat Evolved coming after Halo: Reach, a lot of people have been asking about our planned improvements to HCE in order to bring it more in parity to the original Xbox version. Essentially, what we are planning to rework to be more aligned with legacy than the original Gearbox port to PC that is used in MCC.
Michael Fahrny
: We're not targeting it for the launch on PC, but we are continuing to investigate what we can do to bring CE back to parity of the original Xbox version.
But, what I can say, is we have dug up some original Xbox devkits that we are looking into utilizing.
Umm, also we do, well, I don't want to publish this right now but, but we also have <ONI REDACTED> working on <ONI REDACTED> so when we're ready to announce that, we will, but I don't want to put that in this blog.

giphy.gif

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I may not be remembering this correctly, but, didn't they say they would release all the MCC games by end of year?

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
Reach looks dated even in 4k, maybe HBAO+ will help a little, no extra effects or hires texture pack in PC version?

Reach by far the worst Halo. The visuals looked bad back when it was released so it's not a surprised they are underwhelming even now.

You can only polish a turd so much.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017

Because it was built entirely around a console, there was no PC work done when the game was originally developed. Controls, options, Forge, Theater, multiplayer was all developed only with the 360 in mind. Bringing it into MCC also means rebuilding major parts of MCC to support the customization that Reach has.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
Some Forge maps were awesome as fuck, but it felt like the worst of Forge seeped into the actual game design for the later games with the big flat nothing textures and ambiguous as fuck architecture.

If that doesn't happen again, lol, and they let the best maps actually shine in multiplayer, this could be a good thing.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
I've tried to get a game going twice in the past week and both times I just sat trying to find players.

Brutal.
some playlists are more populated than other. i will say, pretty much any one will find players if you give it a second. remember that there are a lot of playlists.

EDIT:

looks very clean, and no motion blur helps the look of the game a fuckton. not the biggest fan of reach's campaign other than the ending and the glassed city level in the falcon, but it's still a servicable halo.

Smash Kirby

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2017
Because it was built entirely around a console, there was no PC work done when the game was originally developed. Controls, options, Forge, Theater, multiplayer was all developed only with the 360 in mind. Bringing it into MCC also means rebuilding major parts of MCC to support the customization that Reach has.
I'm hoping that Halo 3 Forge will get some much needed upgrades.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
Reach didn't feel like a Halo game. Even now it doesn't feel like the games that came before it, what it does feel like is proto Destiny and that's just not good enough when we're talking about Halo. Halo has a very unique gameplay loop, it's why it was literally the best FPS on the market at one point z but Reach failed to capture that magic because Bungie was more interested in prototyping shit for their next game.

Y'all can try to lie to yourselves and continue to pretend Reach had any redeeming features, but it was straight trash as a Halo game.

If it hadn't been a Halo game, it might actually have been decent as the first game in a new IP, but it followed in the footsteps of FPS perfection and was nothing more than a wet fart.

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man I forgot how fucking much Reach bites off of Modern Warfare's presentation.

Troll

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Some of my best Co op memories are on reach. Such a good game, happy more people will be able to play it.

Deleted member 54292

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 27, 2019
Doesn't look like AO is on currently based on that footage. Hope some form of it makes it in seeing as Reach on 360 had it. Looks really solid otherwise!

Paragraf

May 31, 2019
Russia
Doesn't look like AO is on currently based on that footage. Hope some form of it makes it in seeing as Reach on 360 had it. Looks really solid otherwise!
Yeah, something looks off compared to 360 version. But no ghosting is absolute win.

As i remember there is no cross play for campaigns between xbox and steam users announced? A friend of my is big fan of halo lore since 2009. He never played anything besides h1, h2 and HW, so it would be amazing to replay whole saga together. Other friends are ready to jump in to, as they say, "see what all the fuss is about".))))

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, something looks off compared to 360 version. But no ghosting is absolute win.

As i remember there is no cross play for campaigns between xbox and steam users announced? A friend of my is big fan of halo lore since 2009. He never played anything besides h1, h2 and HW, so it would be amazing to replay whole saga together. Other friends are ready to jump in to, as they say, "see what all the fuss is about".))))

They said that for now it will just be windows 10 and steam, but they hope to have add xbox to that as well in the future at some point; it just isn't set in stone right now.

AlanOC91

Owner of YGOPRODeck.com
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
I may not be remembering this correctly, but, didn't they say they would release all the MCC games by end of year?

Personally I like this this isn't going to happen. I believe they have gone on record since revealing this saying how unexpectedly difficult they have found the whole process.

So honestly, I think things have changed and we would be lucky to get Reach alone by the end of the year.

Elliott

Oct 25, 2017
Reach didn't feel like a Halo game. Even now it doesn't feel like the games that came before it, what it does feel like is proto Destiny and that's just not good enough when we're talking about Halo. Halo has a very unique gameplay loop, it's why it was literally the best FPS on the market at one point z but Reach failed to capture that magic because Bungie was more interested in prototyping shit for their next game.

Y'all can try to lie to yourselves and continue to pretend Reach had any redeeming features, but it was straight trash as a Halo game.

If it hadn't been a Halo game, it might actually have been decent as the first game in a new IP, but it followed in the footsteps of FPS perfection and was nothing more than a wet fart.
Reach has a good campaign.

DorkLord54

Oct 27, 2017
Michigan
Man I forgot how fucking much Reach bites off of Modern Warfare's presentation.
It was probably both a) to appeal to that market, b) the fact that Reach was seen as humanity's last stand in-canon before Halo's discovery changed everything and gave the Covenant their first crushing loss, c) an overcorrection from the overly colourful bordering-on-cartoony look of Halo 3. Personally I like the more muted colour palette since it makes the colourful moments stand out more.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
It was probably both a) to appeal to that market, b) the fact that Reach was seen as humanity's last stand in-canon before Halo's discovery changed everything and gave the Covenant their first crushing loss, c) an overcorrection from the overly colourful bordering-on-cartoony look of Halo 3. Personally I like the more muted colour palette since it makes the colourful moments stand out more.

You know I've never thought about this much but Reach's covenant really do stand out the most for me as definitively alien-y. I love the purple and everything they do there. Of all of the things for 343 not to continue with in Halo 4, that was some of the most perplexing.