• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 4260

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Notable note:

""Additionally, with the original MCC, peer hosting was used for matchmade games as a fallback if dedicated servers weren't available for whatever reason. We're moving to a model where dedicated servers will now be guaranteed for all matchmade games.""

I too also hope they're spending some time re-implementing actual armor and emblem customization for the games. It's especially annoying with Halo 2 since it features your emblem so prominently in game.
I do not understand why this was even cut out of 3+4 in the first place. Bizarre.

Deleted member 2171

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
P2P as a back my fucking arse.

The game was pretty much 100% p2p, we'll see

It probably helps that Azure has matured exponentially since MCC's release. That NAT traversal stuff being added to the MCC due to the latest SDK also sounds like part of why they're able to guarantee dedis now, because I have a hunch P2P was also the fallthrough if you had trouble connecting to the instance due to NAT.

They have the advantage now of Halo 5 giving them lots of experience wrangling Azure , etc.

Last edited:

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Custom game session browsing, Xbox Arena or Mixer support.
Now that they've mentioned these I'm really hoping they all make it through. Setting up Arena Tournaments for any Halo game sounds amazing and would be great for the competitive community. A custom game browser would breathe new life into Forge and custom games. Lastly Mixer Integration could be amazing, just imagine a streamer playing through the campaign and the viewers are able to enable the different skulls on cooldowns as they play!

ImperatorPat

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Nice update. The talk about transparency reminds me of bungie's recent talk around being more transparent about Destiny development. Is 2018 the year of transparency?

Still play MCC monthly or so so I'll be happy to have these updates. The part about being able to start up and shut down the game engines faster is cool and I wonder if that means they may be able to reenable Join In Progress for custom games, which is a feature my friends and I do use for Halo 5 and miss having in mcc. Nice being able to start up a 3 person FFA and have another friend join part way through.

Katarn343

Jan 22, 2018
México - United States
The news about the possibility of exploring a game browser addition to MCC is really great. That, plus adding the game to Game Pass could really revitalize not only The Master Chief Collection, but Halo overall.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
I'm hyped. Halo games have unlimited replay value. I might even pick up an X if the enhancement are significant enough, since I'm so committed to the Xbox ecosystem already.

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
Cool to see Stinkles here!
I would love if with this team they were able to port the MCC to PC. But... 8 separate engines.. that's like, incredibly hard to do.
I'm glad they are showing respect for the community with this move.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Hope it finally delivers on the original promises. Still doesn't make up for the blatant lies and half truths we got at launch.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I'm rooting for 343. Halo MCC was gonna be the one package to get me to get a XB1 few years back, but with how it turned out I was....well, turned off on the system.

If they do manage to get all the games up to par as they should I may be getting a XB1S at a good price later this year. Will be paying close attention to this.

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
For everyone saying "what's the point now?" I don't think you realize how much halo means to some of us.

I absolutely am super excited about this.

This for sure. I was so disappointed when I found out the state MCC was in. Sure it's late, but at least they are fixing it and making it right. I'm excited as well.

Deleted member 28193

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Great news, make MCC deserving of the Halo legacy. Will run through this again once the patch drops. Played through all the SP just fine.

Fahzzy

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Jan 21, 2018
Halo 1, 2, and 3 with properly curated lists and good connection still gets my heart throbbing. Let's hope they can pull this off!

If we can get this in PC they will score a huge profit methinks.

ps3ud0

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This should have been the first game to be thrown into Gamepass.

Its really easy to say 'too little, too late' but at least they are doing something over nothing. I'm just surprised they didn't do it as part of XOXs launch.

ps3ud0 8)

RooMHM

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So they are trying to re-re-release it by patching a few things here and there and making it fully playable ? Well that's a new one.
Guess remaking a remaster wouldn't be acceptable or would it ?

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
It's amazing that they're doing this at all. That alone is commendable. Obviously, the more commendable thing would've been to release a finished game, but even if MCC had years of development, with that many outsourced devs working on separate components of the game, that wasn't going to happen. Most studios would look at a project like this and think "it's a spot on our record, but we'll be fine in the long run."

Detective

Oct 27, 2017
Can't wait for this update,
Finally I will be playing the real MC 1-3.
H4...meh, maybe.

Hope ODST also gets the X update.

Last edited:

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
It's nice that they're trying to fix it, but they really missed the bus. I don't think that many people are going to come back to play it. They had a great opportunity to springboard off of the hype at launch, but that's long gone.

Booting up the collection, it feels dead. There is little community management, numbers, or signs of activity. There are simply too many playlist options for such a small player base. It can be incredibly hard to find a game for Halo 1 or 2 classic. If they're going to try to fix it, they need a small team to stay in touch with the player base and push certain playlists. I would like it if they had different weekends dedicated to particular games.

Oct 25, 2017
I liked Halo a lot. This was going to be a reason for buying the Xbox One, but I just never bothered because of the bad news. I want to wait for the Xbox Two now instead and hope it has more games I want, but this is a step in the right direction.

Waaghals

Oct 27, 2017
I might be weird, but the only thing I really want is graphical fixes for Halo CE's legacy mode.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
- Gamepass, that alone can give a big boost
- Good enough updates can bring people back (see No Man's Sky)
- A potential relaunch to reignite interest
- Potential extra features like custom game browsers, tournament modes and mixer to help the community grow

It's not impossible to get people back on the game
Yup, plenty of games have gone on to attract more people over time, and for a franchise as huge as Halo I think it's definitely possible.
For everyone saying "what's the point now?" I don't think you realize how much halo means to some of us.

Now that they've mentioned these I'm really hoping they all make it through. Setting up Arena Tournaments for any Halo game sounds amazing and would be great for the competitive community. A custom game browser would breathe new life into Forge and custom games. Lastly Mixer Integration could be amazing, just imagine a streamer playing through the campaign and the viewers are able to enable the different skulls on cooldowns as they play!
Although this would be pretty damn cool, I highly doubt it for TMCC. Perhaps for Halo 6 they'll have some neat Mixer features though; it's a solid streaming service.

Detective

Oct 27, 2017

I can honestly say if Halo wasn't around I wouldn't game.
Here's hoping that 343 gets back on track and give us a true Halo and a legendary Master Chief. A true Chief.

Just hope they take all the time they need to shape 6.

Oct 30, 2017
I ended up with a mostly positive experience playing this collection.

I got 175 hours out of it and some enjoyment from the multiplayer.

I was only able to play H2A co op online without horrendous slowdown. If this can be fixed I'll definitely jump in again.

BSherrod

Oct 27, 2017
I'm excited about this, that's great of 343 to take the time to do this. The possibility of having a version of Halo 1-4 that will be available on Xbox platforms going forward is dope to me as well.

Deleted member 18951

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We ask that you come with a positive mindset and assume positive intent. We can't undo the past, nor will we dwell on what could've/should've been. Instead, we are keenly focused on what's in front of us – an exciting, brand new opportunity to deliver the ultimate experience for Halo fans past, present and future.

Something I'm sure we all want to adhere to and hope they can pull off, right.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
while it may be late, it's admirable that they just didn't sweep it under the rug. at this point they could have done that, but they didn't.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
It's nice that they're trying to fix it, but they really missed the bus. I don't think that many people are going to come back to play it. They had a great opportunity to springboard off of the hype at launch, but that's long gone.

Booting up the collection, it feels dead. There is little community management, numbers, or signs of activity. There are simply too many playlist options for such a small player base. It can be incredibly hard to find a game for Halo 1 or 2 classic. If they're going to try to fix it, they need a small team to stay in touch with the player base and push certain playlists. I would like it if they had different weekends dedicated to particular games.

you are not thinking ahead. this is for getting hyped for halo 6 and/or whatever is on the horizon.

plus backward compatibility/fixing this collection is preserving the future.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
I am definitely disappointed this is not coming to PC as well. Would be the perfect time. I feel if they wait too much longer, a PC port wouldn't do as well as now, when I think the news and talk about it would help a lot. I'd buy it again if I had to. Such a wonderful package in theory.

But I am glad to see this being fixed up. Just a shame I don't have an xbox one any more :/ Can't really afford to atm either.

II JumPeR I

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Germany
So we will have two versions of MCC? LIke Battlefield is doing with the CTE?

Another 70GB uff.

I hope they priotize folks who still played MCC over the years over some youtubers who only played it some weeks.

Nollemaster

Oct 27, 2017
This is the only Halo game I still play regularly. It's relatively stable already and you can find matches relatively quick. I do hope this will give the game a significant population boost though!

Wiped

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
God they're still working on this? A bit embarrassing at this point...

Fair play I guess if you're waiting for this

MadMod

Dec 4, 2017
I like that theyre still supporting it, nothing worse than leaving a game to die on its bugs and issues.

ShaheedMalik

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People are disappointed that it's not on PC, then if it comes to PC, they will complain that it's only in the Windows Store.

Prologue

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Halo 5 doesn't have arena function though, and it launched a year after the update.

Anyway, they sound hopeful. Hopefully everything gets done by summer/fall. With MCC being completed and graphically updated, I'd have no reason not to pick up the console finally.

Raptomex

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who just played through the campaigns in this collection recently, I can honestly say I experienced no real problems. I didn't try the multiplayer which I guess is where most of the problems are. I am excited about any visual and performance improvements.
You know what I would REALLY like to see added? ODST Firefight.
Absolutely this.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
Good to see some details about the MCC fixes finally and I like how it sounds. Seems like significant changes/improvements, which I'm very happy about.

I hope that the whole process is working out for them (and us) and that the result is a flawless Halo Legacy Collection. Will definitely jump into this, as soon as I get access to it.

Me too. But it's just a dream.

2018 - MCC fix/update
2019 - Halo 6?
2020-21 - Maybe Halo Wars 3

(That's my theory ofc.)

I know it's just theories, but I kinda doubt that HW2 did well enough for them to warrant a HW3 anytime soon. Also, there is still this Creative Director job listing open at 343i that talks about leading an external studio that is in the process of making a Halo VR game, possibly in UE4.

36 Chambers

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I remember waiting for this game to release. I started playing online games with Halo 2. Anyone who was around at that time can attest to how massive Halo 2 was. Halo 2 WAS xbox live at the time. My 100 person friends list was only populated with Halo 2 players. I loved the fuck out of that game. Problems and all, modders, standbyers, host bridgers, derankers, quitters etc etc.

I bought an Xbox One the week before MCC released. I still remember staying up all night waiting for the game to install so I could play it. And i remember how fucking tired I was in work the next day. And especially how disappointed I was when the realization that it was broken.

However, I still have over 100 hours put into the campaigns. I played them all on Legendary and ran through ODST when it dropped. I enjoyed every single second of that run through. On campaign alone, I got my value out of the Xbox and the game.

The meat was the multiplayer though. I seen myself playing these games for years to come. I played Halo 2 on my 360 until the servers went down. I still remember those dudes leaving their xboxs on for days just to keep playing Halo 2.

This new update gives me hope. For real. Im over the fact they delivered a stillborn multiplayer experience. I hop on for a match or two every couple of months.

If 343 can deliver a working game with Xbox One X enhancements, all will be forgiven. I still love Halo, even if i play other games more than Halo 5, it was still the game I grew up with along with many others here.

I'm glad they are taking this seriously and i dont care how "late" it is or the fact its 2018. Fix it up. Either way I'll be there day one for Halo 6 like have been all along the way. Halo is more than a game for a lot of people, its history and a massive part of their lives. Me and my friends playing till all hours of the morning back in the day.

Taking the One Bomb up into the top of the cavern on Waterworks and watching the chaos ensue in Big Team battle. Or super jumping out of every map possible. Playing Tower of Power on Ascension (No shields, shotguns only, one turret in the tower). Playing Zombies on Foundation, everyone climbing up into that one room and shooting endless zombies as they run in (And the honor code for switching teams when you died, and cursing out people who wouldn't switch teams).

Endless queuing in Team Slayer to get a high a rank as possible. Playing co op on the couch with my friends...

I have endless memories with people I know in real life and met online. Halo was a huge par of our lives.

So yeah, a good portion of us could give a fuck if its 2018. This matters.

Tecnniqe

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Antarctica
Its good to see them going back and try cleaning this up.

I hope that eventually this will hit the much hated Windows 10 store so I can play it again UwU